Cornwall Football Forum

Newquay vs St Austell

Just back from watching a brilliant display of  football from St Austell winning 7-1 but for 5 mins in the 1st half Newquay had a chance of scoring but 3 great saves from Jason Chapman and a goal line clearance and that was about it really but they did score a soft goal Liam Eddy sent off for going in on Newquay Goalie Crane but it looked a 50 50 ball but i expect i will be told it wasnt Joe Crane sustaining a broken nose and unable to play the 2nd half so player Teague Lobb had to go in goal .I thought Newquay played quite well tonight although the score line is high they did give it a go my man of match for NEWQUAY goes to Jack Scott but the overall man of the match who i thought was brilliant goes to St Austells Harry EVANS . St Austell played some lovely football and our a class team and Smokie thought they was good as well and saw his mate Jason . Well done St Austell and hard luck Newquay time to rebuild for next season now . Good Luck next week St AUSTELL vs PLymouth Res that will be a tough game i will be watching PLymouth Res play Bodmin this satday without Smokie he will have to stay in the car because Bodmin dont allow dogs in there ground so it will just be me clicking away taken photos .

Well, how this did not finish with St.Austell scoring 10 goals I do not know. Newquay were dreadful, a complete shambles, St.Austell scoring 3 second half goals even though they were down to 10 men for the second half. Over heard a guy at the tea hut stating Newquay have now conceded 16 goals in 3 games, their league reprieve might be their biggest ever trophy in their great club history as any other season that side would be down & possibly down another division below division one west as they have been very poor all season & from what I have seen of them they wouldn't make an impression in the league below. St.Austell clinical but not made to work for anything, a training game for St.Austell lads.

Down here on holiday and decided to take in the game after watching St Austell v Torpoint on Saturday. Newquay's defending was utterly abysmal, on par with anything you would see in the Sunday Leagues. Time and time again defenders failed to track their men, getting drawn towards the ball and it was easy meat for St Austell. All that was required was a simple movement to peel away and that opened the gap for the ball to be played through. Going forwards I thought Newquay did show a bit of promise and they could have had 3-4 on a better day. The sequence of saves and clearances in one passage of play in the first half summed up their luck in front of goal. I've been a big fan of Liam Eddy from a far, but have been really disappointed in what I have seen of him these last few days. He has terrific ability in front of goal and his movement in behind defenders causes all kinds of problems, but his on the pitch behaviour leaves a lot to be desired. I've no doubt with a record like his, he takes his fair share of kicks, but in both games I've seen him in this week he's deserved to be sent off. Saturday he elbowed a player in the face and went straight through the keeper, today he has knocked their keeper straight out, which was horrible to see. Happened right in front of me and was never a 50/50. Keeper came out and had it well under control and Eddy just left his leg in and followed through with the side of his boot. Sure he didn't mean what then happened, but it was really poor, as was his reaction afterwards. Watching these games over the past few days has me believing that the SWPL follows the laws of football from the 1950/1960's as some of the challenges that go unpunished have been shocking. 

To be fair you cant argue with him. The stats back it all up. The SWP league premier has been really poor this season. You have at least 6 sides who have or will score over 100 goals this season. Mean while at the bottom you'll have 5 or 6 sides conceding well over 100 goals. That is ridiculous. None of the bottom sides have had any decent results against the top sides. Not good for the league at all. It's hard to judge how good the top 6 are when the bottom 6 and several above them are just such a poor standard. 

Well said Paul, & that honest assessment has come from a man who has seen a lot of local football over the years, so where 'Sticker Forever' is coming from in regards to me slating the standard of both clubs is  laughable...even the respective clubs (Blazey, Newquay) supporters agree that the stats confirm what I have been saying that either side are not up to the required standard of this league. Both teams 'goals against' column will confirm that :thumbsup:

I spend a lot of Sundays on the Spritzers or even special occasions (if I win the cards) Banana juice ( with a hint of mint & dash of vodka) down at Blaise Park, I don't want to see  Blazey or Newquay go out the league but I'm afraid stats do not lie. Big news on the terraces last night that Phillip Laffernty is making a return to football next season. After tapping a few different clubs (reportedly) heard a return to the St.Austell cold seat is inevitable. Welcome back 'Philster' :thumbsup:

4 hours ago, Paul said:

To be fair you cant argue with him. The stats back it all up. The SWP league premier has been really poor this season. You have at least 6 sides who have or will score over 100 goals this season. Mean while at the bottom you'll have 5 or 6 sides conceding well over 100 goals. That is ridiculous. None of the bottom sides have had any decent results against the top sides. Not good for the league at all. It's hard to judge how good the top 6 are when the bottom 6 and several above them are just such a poor standard. 

That's what happens when there is no progression of teams through the league pyramid system 

13 hours ago, 100%cornish said:

i will be watching PLymouth Res play Bodmin this satday without Smokie he will have to stay in the car because Bodmin dont allow dogs in there ground so it will just be me clicking away taken photos .

Every chance you get you bring this up.Everybody knows dogs aren't allowed in the ground,if you're that concerned about seeing the game with your dog beside you pay for a ticket and stand outside the fence.It's see through.

Well its a bloody stupid decision no dogs allowed he just lies there the whole match and no  i wont be looking through the fence on satday i will pay my £5 i will get a 50/50 ticket i will buy a program and i will buy sausage and  chips and i will enjoy the game and hope Plymouth Res put out 9 1st team players like they did at last night against Witheridge not really fair is it

100%cornish,I agree that the Plymouth team fielding 10 pro's is not on and feared this would happen when it was announced that they would be joining the league.I'm trying to find some evidence to back this up but I think it was the councils decision to ban dogs on the grounds that dog mess wasn't being picked up by people exercising their dogs on the Priory Park pitch and not Bodmin Town FC.

Having watched well over 40 SWPL Prem games this season the difference between top and botttom teams is down to 3/4 players per team/ game - the top teams have 2/3 excellent players and the bottom teams have 3/4 players who are not quite up to Prem standard. The core of most teams is not that different and balanced across the league, but on a given day you play two top strikers against 3 weak defenders then you get big score differences.

Why do certain clubs have top players - it's not science, outstanding coaching, player loyalty over several years to build squads - it's they pay more - more for players and more for coaches / managers. That was made crystal clear last season with St Blazey - a poor team who brought in a top manager who paid to   bring in several key players - relegation avoided, or Penzance this year. 

It's not club history or club's current desire, it's who they can afford for a given season. It Helston could have afforded to keep Goldsworthy and had the money for Eddy then Helston would be further up the league and St Austell further down, or if Parkway could have afforded Hobbs etc .

I fail to see how that is anything to do with the league or Pryamid system - the majority of clubs (all in Cornwall) simply can't afford to travel or play in the Western / Southern Leagues. There is nothing stopping those quality players moving to higher league teams like Rocky did this season - they would get paid for their time. It appears they would rather just move teams within the SWPL, to follow the money, so perhaps it is player desire rather than League or clubs that need addressing. 

its good that Plymouth Res are in the League it gives you a chance of sometimes seeing some of the 1st team and thats the reason i am going to Bodmin on satday and hoping to see some of the 1st team and it should be a hell of a game as well i can understand about the dog mess because Bodmin priory park is such a big area and i expect some ignorant people dont pick up there dog mess i see it here all the time anyway looking forward to the match just seen the Plymouth team that played Witheridge last night only 1 apprentice was in the Plymouth team Harry Hodges rest full professionals and 1st team players

1 hour ago, Bazzer said:

Well said Big Al & Sticker forever

Would also save a journey from Falmouth to Witheridge on a bank holiday Monday, the longest journey in the league, what ridiculous fixturing !

1 hour ago, Bazzer said:

Well said Big Al & Sticker forever

Also I meant to have said - good luck to Sticker in the higher league. Great to see a new team from CORNWALL for once in the league. You deserve to be there as a result of all the work you have done on and off the field.

2 minutes ago, BIG AL said:

Would also save a journey from Falmouth to Witheridge on a bank holiday Monday, the longest journey in the league, what ridiculous fixturing !

Go along and make a day of it. Go to the pub in the village and have lunch there before watching your team. Plymouth fans journey to Carlisle and Hartlepool and although it might seem like it on the roads, Falmouth to Witheridge isn't that bad!

27 minutes ago, Willow Tree said:

Go along and make a day of it. Go to the pub in the village and have lunch there before watching your team. Plymouth fans journey to Carlisle and Hartlepool and although it might seem like it on the roads, Falmouth to Witheridge isn't that bad!

And how much is all that going to cost ?

5 hours ago, Bobjfh said:

or if Parkway could have afforded Hobbs etc .

Parkway could have, and still can, afford Hobbs. He was offered an handsome sum by Parkway, Tavistock matched the amount, and he chose to stay as there's less pressure there. Parkway, even with all the money they have got, are trying to do things on a budget. Tyler Elliott moved to Tavistock due to being offered over double the amount he was getting at Parkway. They could've matched the amount, but chose not to as they don't want to flash the cash around. That's not the sustainable way to move up the leagues 

2 minutes ago, gingerninja said:

Parkway could have, and still can, afford Hobbs. He was offered an handsome sum by Parkway, Tavistock matched the amount, and he chose to stay as there's less pressure there. Parkway, even with all the money they have got, are trying to do things on a budget. Tyler Elliott moved to Tavistock due to being offered over double the amount he was getting at Parkway. They could've matched the amount, but chose not to as they don't want to flash the cash around. That's not the sustainable way to move up the leagues 

It's good to hear that - I had really high hopes for Parkway this season as they come across as a 'sensible' club, but it never panned out  - hopefully next season

5 hours ago, BIG AL said:

Also I meant to have said - good luck to Sticker in the higher league. Great to see a new team from CORNWALL for once in the league. You deserve to be there as a result of all the work you have done on and off the field.

Falmouth to Witheridge 198 miles roundtrip. Helston to Tivertom 260 miles round trip.  Famouth to Helston round trip 22 miles.

If you set off early enough you could even walk that one for the Easter Monday Final. In fact if you are willing to walk it I will arrange to cover the cost of your admission, and have a pint and a pasty waiting for you at Kellaway Park.

There you go,BigAl a free day out for you.

However am sure you will find some excuse not to go.

Roy 

16 minutes ago, Roy of the Rovers said:

Falmouth to Witheridge 198 miles roundtrip. Helston to Tivertom 260 miles round trip.  Famouth to Helston round trip 22 miles.

If you set off early enough you could even walk that one for the Easter Monday Final. In fact if you are willing to walk it I will arrange to cover the cost of your admission, and have a pint and a pasty waiting for you at Kellaway Park.

There you go,BigAl a free day out for you.

However am sure you will find some excuse not to go.

Roy 

Unfortunately I am working.

Turnip Ted i dont like your comment my dog doesnt pee and stink everywhere he just curls up on my sweatshirt and goes to sleep i would rather go to the football match with him  than go with the likes of you who i expect u **** your leg up all the time . Like i said i heard Hobbs is going to be going to Join Plymouth Parkway i was told  that at St BLAZEY And 3 of the 4 young Plymouth res players going to Saltash and Eddy and Goldsworthy going back to Helston but cant see that happening Helston couldnt afford them and money talks in the league now also Mark Rapsey is too make a comeback with Newquay and wins the league ok i can dream .My dog is my life Turnip Ted i have had cancer twice kidney cancer where half of my kidney was removed and Prostate cancer but im not feeling sorry for myself i keep smiling and my little dog was always there in the dark days . You should try 2 years of radiotherapy turnip ted not nice my dog  is all i got seeing my son lives in London and Smokie will continue to go to football grounds and will be with me at Helston for the easter monday final if i can find the ground i have never been to Helston

2 hours ago, Jasa said:

Any update on Craner?

Hope you see you back soon mate.

Copied from facebook by his mum.  "Thanks to all the staff and supporters at Newquay AFC for concern and assistance last night. Nose still swollen and broken (but fairly straight), 2 black eyes and probably out for rest of season. Best football club in Cornwall for care and support for players, members and supporters  - thanks. To the player who thought it was ok to kick a rival in the face, knocking him unconscious, breaking his nose and then claiming he didn't mean it - this sort of violent behaviour and attitude from a player from one of the top of the League clubs is totally unacceptable and undermines the hard work of every SWPL club who uphold qualities of decency, respect and fair play. Good luck Newquay in your battle to stay up!"

17 hours ago, 100%cornish said:

Turnip Ted i dont like your comment my dog doesnt pee and stink everywhere he just curls up on my sweatshirt and goes to sleep i would rather go to the football match with him  than go with the likes of you who i expect u **** your leg up all the time . Like i said i heard Hobbs is going to be going to Join Plymouth Parkway i was told  that at St BLAZEY And 3 of the 4 young Plymouth res players going to Saltash and Eddy and Goldsworthy going back to Helston but cant see that happening Helston couldnt afford them and money talks in the league now also Mark Rapsey is too make a comeback with Newquay and wins the league ok i can dream .My dog is my life Turnip Ted i have had cancer twice kidney cancer where half of my kidney was removed and Prostate cancer but im not feeling sorry for myself i keep smiling and my little dog was always there in the dark days . You should try 2 years of radiotherapy turnip ted not nice my dog  is all i got seeing my son lives in London and Smokie will continue to go to football grounds and will be with me at Helston for the easter monday final if i can find the ground i have never been to Helston

I too have a dog and live on my own. But I don't keep going on about it. Now lets get back to football talk. Another strong performance by ST AUSTELL.

19 hours ago, Rocket Ronnie said:

Copied from facebook by his mum.  "Thanks to all the staff and supporters at Newquay AFC for concern and assistance last night. Nose still swollen and broken (but fairly straight), 2 black eyes and probably out for rest of season. Best football club in Cornwall for care and support for players, members and supporters  - thanks. To the player who thought it was ok to kick a rival in the face, knocking him unconscious, breaking his nose and then claiming he didn't mean it - this sort of violent behaviour and attitude from a player from one of the top of the League clubs is totally unacceptable and undermines the hard work of every SWPL club who uphold qualities of decency, respect and fair play. Good luck Newquay in your battle to stay up!"

Harsh. 50/50 Challenge. Lot of jealousy around Edds for sure.

WOOOOO

On 05/04/2017 at 12:29, TURNIP TED said:

Dogs should not be allowed at footy games. They stink and pee everywhere.

I know some people who do that too...stupid comment as well.

9 hours ago, TURNIP TED said:

I too have a dog and live on my own. But I don't keep going on about it. Now lets get back to football talk. Another strong performance by ST AUSTELL.

Read Cornish's post again and understand it.

You come to Penryn Cornish, dogs welcome in the ground and in the clubhouse....I'll cook him a couple of sausages.

Ignore the plonkers they think this is good football ...lol - I'd rather  watch your dog play.

14 hours ago, TheolderIgetthebetterIwas said:

I know some people who do that too...stupid comment as well.

Read Cornish's post again and understand it.

You come to Penryn Cornish, dogs welcome in the ground and in the clubhouse....I'll cook him a couple of sausages.

Ignore the plonkers they think this is good football ...lol - I'd rather  watch your dog play.

lmao.

Many moons ago I took my dog to Wadebridge to be told "no dogs allowed" so he had to stay in the car. As the game started I saw two men with two dogs on the ground so ignored what I was told. As long as you clean up after them what's the problem?

All dog owners head to Penryn - Older will run out of sausages!!

On 06/04/2017 at 14:43, Ric Flair said:

Harsh. 50/50 Challenge. Lot of jealousy around Edds for sure.

WOOOOO

Wasn't there so can't comment on this specific incident - BUT - just looked at latest CCFA suspension list and surprisingly Liam has at least 3 match ban coming from mid April and will miss the last 3 games at least. Could that cost St Austell a top three finish??

great great player but needs to readjust the line he walks with tackles (personal view)

17 minutes ago, Bobjfh said:

Wasn't there so can't comment on this specific incident - BUT - just looked at latest CCFA suspension list and surprisingly Liam has at least 3 match ban coming from mid April and will miss the last 3 games at least. Could that cost St Austell a top three finish??

great great player but needs to readjust the line he walks with tackles (personal view)

5 games on the latest list, 3 games and 2 games.

From memory (and I may be wrong) but didn't Liam get a three match 'friendlies' ban following being sent off in the SWPL Charity day Bodmin v St Austell at start of season - that could mean him missing most friendlies and first two games of season?!?!?

I remember the game at start of season at Wadebridge when St Austell beat Bodmin 4-2 on pens in the Charity vase final and Liam Eddy got sent off hes such a good player with a attitude but thats why hes so good but he deserved to be sent offf for having this bright luminous green tracksuit top it was ghastly . At the same match Tiverton Res beat Mousehole in the final of the Charity vase final now Tiverton Res are coming out of the league