Cornwall Football Forum

RGB Cornwall Senior Cup semi finals

Tuesday :

Falmouth Town 2 (Jordan Annear, Rob Wearne)

Saltash Utd 4 (Ryan Richards 2, Henry Wilson, OG)

An amazing turnaround by the sounds of it with Town leading by two goals as the hour passed!

Well done to Saltash for coming back. They now await the winners of the second semi tomorrow night between Newquay and Bodmin.

Just like to say that I have just watched some of the game on the Cornwall Channel and I may be biased but that was never a penalty to Saltash! It just looked like the Saltash player jumped for no reason. No contact from the Falmouth player at all!  I would be interested to hear other peoples opinions on this one.

Unlucky break again for Falmouth. It happened at a bad time in the game as Saltash had woken up and started to trouble our defence after going two down. Another 10 minutes and we may have been able to weather the storm, Quite literally in this case!  Think it  might be better if the cameras stay away from the big games in future as we were 2-0 up against Bodmin last time they were there and got beat again due to a questionable decision.

The weather played a massive part in the latter stages of the game as Falmouth were unable to get out of their half and Saltash showed their clash scoring 3 goals in 6 minutes.

Well done to Saltash though as they did not adopt the tactics of the other top teams in Cornwall and seemed to let the ref and assistants do their jobs without any abuse.  Best of luck to them in the final.

Enjoyable first half at Wadebridge this evening ending 2:2 with Bodmin the stronger team but Newquay making the better chances.

Half time, Gilbert then had a good 3 minute chat with the ref and a ten minute shout at his team. Despite some decent football, Newquay could not get passed the refreshed 12 (twelve)man Bodmin team.

Bodmin Town 5-2 Newquay (H/T 2-2)

Congratulation to Bodmin but Newquay made them work for their place in the final. Belying their lowly league position, Newquay battled and fought Bodmin all the way before running out of steam.

Newquay took the lead after 28 minutes and it was no more than they deserved. Until then Bodmin had hardly had a sniff but it jolted them into life and they duly equalised after 34 minutes and took the lead four minutes later. The Peppermints didn't roll over and snatched an equaliser a minute before the break.

Ten minutes into the second half, Bodmin took the lead and from that point never looked back. Two late goals in the 84th and 87th minute gave them a flattering victory and set up a repeat of the 2011/12 final.

A good match was soured by the silly dismissal of the petulant Newquay number 6. Two silly bookings for comments made really ended the match as a contest, although on the night, the officials came in for a lot of unnecessary abuse.

One question puzzled me. How come Paul Murphy was running the line? Steve Nute's name was in the programme and he was present and kitted up acting as a ballboy but surely if he was the appointed assistant, he should have been the one holding the flag, not as the fifth official.

Bodmin just about deserved the win on the second half performance, although Newquay looked the better team in the 1st creating the better chances, the referee was extremely poor tonight giving soft freekicks that resulted in goals, allowing the Bodmin keeper to keep hold if the ball for well over 6 seconds on numerous occasions, the ball being kicked away from freekicks. Newquay had 3-4 appeals for handball on the edge of the area with 2 being blatant and none given. On a more positive note, well done to both teams for an entertaining game and coping with the conditions.

Must admit I felt pretty sorry for Newquay tonight. Spoke to Macca quickly when the lads were warming up and he told me his game plan and it worked almost perfectly for 80 odd minutes until a shocker of a decision from the Lino which resulted in a quality free kick into the box and another headed goal which put Bodmin 4-2 up and literally killed the game for Newquay and led to the understandable frustrations and ultimately the red card. Think he was the only bloke in the ground that thought it was a free kick! You always know it's a soft one when none of the other team appeal and then a couple players laugh when they get awarded it. Led to Macca and the 4th official having some words which is not like him at all, I even found myself 'F'ing and blinding and I'm pretty laid back, just felt sorry for the Newquay boys to put in all that hard work and compete with what is a top quality Bodmin team and for it all to be taken away with an awful decision like that which it was and I'm never one to criticise officials. After the remonstrations had died down you just knew Bodmin were going to score from it!!! Must admit thought most things went Bodmins way but wouldn't blame the ref who got a lot right as well, and if I'm not mistaken was the ref who got attacked a couple of seasons ago? If so he's got my respect just for that anyway, would have been easy just to turn your back on the game after something like that. Who knows Bodmin would have probably gone on to win the game anyway with a class manager and players and will probably win the final in my opinion but a real shame it ended that way for Newquay who have improved no end of late, just one poor decision causing all that happened in the next 5 minutes. I hope Macca isn't too disillusioned and stays and continues the improvement with what has been a very young team for next season. Anyway best of luck to Bodmin in the final, always liked Gilbey from our playing days and his teams give 100% just like he played the game, and thought Jake Ash was outstanding as always tonight, what a player and career Ashy has had. Thought Danny O did a great job on Carts tonight as well, hard to believe he got a hat-trick with 3 goals adding up to less than 10 yards in total! Any striker would take that though! No doubt Leeds United will be having his Pimms or Pernod celebrating tonight at Blazey clubhouse and have his opinion tomorrow but this was mine and I thought 5-2 was a real harsh result and didn't reflect the game in my opinion. ?⚽

No I was too far away and my camera isn't that good. I saw the first one coming and was too slow. Wasn't prepared for the second. Sorry! Mind you I did get Joe Crane making three great saves.

1 minute ago, RAPPO said:

Fair enough mate, excellent what you do anyway ?? What was your opinion on the "foul" that kicked everything off mate? ?

I did think it was a bit soft. The kick was taken by the touchline although the foul was more infield. Newquay were appealing that the kick be taken in the right place but it wasn't too far away. People can soon judge for themselves.

Got to be honest Willow I've reffed a few times as you know mate when I was out injured and trying to just do some running again and it's a bloody hard job and you'll never please everybody and also there are some top blokes in this county that are refs and quite a few former players as well which I personally think helps. Just thought that if you gave fouls for hardly a challenge like that you wouldn't have a game!! The ref would be blowing his whistle every 30 seconds. I always think on fouls is wherever it happens on the field if that foul was in the box would you give a penalty for it? If the answer is no, it's not a foul!! Play on cos no one is here to watch a ref or linesman they came to watch a game of football!!! ? Great recording Willow, just saw the "foul" again and I'm still of the same opinion...never a foul! Ask any player who has played the game, the Newquay defender was trying to get his body between the Bodmin attacker and the ball, "shielding" to turn away and play it up the line like any decent full back would. In fact I'm pretty sure he didn't even touch him!!! ? Be interested to know if the Lino has played the game? Rant over. Ain't gonna change anything. Goodnight! ?

Interesting how opinions are so different from one game, I thought that (& was even concerned before the game) as the pitch was a real leveller. Standing water in some parts & if it got dragged down into a battle instead of a football match anything could of happened against any side as 11 v 11 in a battle could go either way. However, first half we were off the pace & our our mistakes were nearly costing us. But we had the better chances throughout the game, with the Newquay keeper pulling off 4 top saves, to be fair if it was not for him we could of scored 7/8. But 5 goals was fine!! Even if it wasn't a free kick ( I believe it was) Newquay still did not defend it properly & I think decisions like that even themselves up over a season. As for us, we are through, maybe not pretty but to score 5 on a 'Off' day is pretty alright. As for Newquay some of thier supporters last night said they would of took league points over any of their wins over St.Day/Perranporth in previous rounds off the Cup, shows how important to the supporters staying in the league really is to them

8 hours ago, Willow Tree said:

One question puzzled me. How come Paul Murphy was running the line? Steve Nute's name was in the programme and he was present and kitted up acting as a ballboy but surely if he was the appointed assistant, he should have been the one holding the flag, not as the fifth official

I can answer this one : apparently Steve got injured at work and wasn't up to running the line, although got kitted up as still wanted to be part of the refereeing  team.

The named 4th official remained the 4th official as if anything had happened to the referee, he would have taken over in the middle.

I do not normally complain about officials as I know what a hard job it is ,but last night Bodmin had the referee eating out of their hands 

as he gave just about every decision they shouted for, however when will Newquays no 6 learn to keep his mouth shut he kept mouthing off dispite

Newquay supporters telling him to shut up,he let himself and his teammates down last night.

I think Newquay played with plenty of heart and were indeed the best team in the first half however Bodmins experience told in the end, lets hope Newquay

can continue to fight for league survival as the majority of the crowd last night were from Newquay  and their supporters will be missed by clubs as they are

quite well supported away from home.                 

32 minutes ago, Dave Deacon said:

I can answer this one : apparently Steve got injured at work and wasn't up to running the line, although got kitted up as still wanted to be part of the refereeing  team.

The named 4th official remained the 4th official as if anything had happened to the referee, he would have taken over in the middle.

Thanks Dave, that's commitment from a top official and a top man to boot.

Very biased second half with Bodmin dominating the game in the second period with the ref giving nothing to Newquay, the "foul" that transitioned into the third goal was never a foul just a simple shoulder to shoulder and at 4-2 the game was over with the sending off having no impact in the later stages, you can understand it with the frustration that Newquay players, supporters and management must of been feeling.

8 hours ago, Willow Tree said:

I did think it was a bit soft. The kick was taken by the touchline although the foul was more infield. Newquay were appealing that the kick be taken in the right place but it wasn't too far away. People can soon judge for themselves.

Once again well done Willow. Good clear filming, are you competing with Piran films now ???? 

Just now, midlandlilywhite said:

Once again well done Willow. Good clear filming, are you competing with Piran films now ???? 

No just hoping to give players, supporters maybe even officials the chance to relive a moment in time. Maybe a defender who hasn't scored in 12 seasons gets a goal. If I or someone catches it on camera, he/she can relive the moment. How many followers of 'senior' football have seen goals scored at places like Ruan Minor, Boscastle or St Eval. Maybe one day there will be a Cornwall version of Match Of The Day but until then....!

50 minutes ago, Willow Tree said:

No just hoping to give players, supporters maybe even officials the chance to relive a moment in time. Maybe a defender who hasn't scored in 12 seasons gets a goal. If I or someone catches it on camera, he/she can relive the moment. How many followers of 'senior' football have seen goals scored at places like Ruan Minor, Boscastle or St Eval. Maybe one day there will be a Cornwall version of Match Of The Day but until then....!

Only joking ! However its great that you, Dave and others are putting match highlights on the Forum. Very helpful to those of us who are in "exile" upcountry. 

48 minutes ago, leedsunited said:

Does not really matter, we won 5/2 & it should of been 7/8! Who cares !!:thumbsup:

I care!! Was a good game to be playing in and we held are own first half against a good Bodmin side. But at 3-2 it could of gone either way but the linesman got it wrong badly never a free kick and it cost us a goal. Don't mind loosing but it spoilt what was a good game in horrendous conditions!! Good luck to my old team in the final....??

The main point yet again is fans care, players care and management care. But the main talking point is do the FA care because yet again the main talking point of an entertaining game of football is officials... i presume the same linesmen, and referees will go unpunished and continue to make such appaling decisions.

56 minutes ago, cornishrambler said:

The main point yet again is fans care, players care and management care. But the main talking point is do the FA care because yet again the main talking point of an entertaining game of football is officials... i presume the same linesmen, and referees will go unpunished and continue to make such appaling decisions.

And claim their huge fees and travelling expenses !

Guys, we won 5-2, it should & could of been 8! You can't blame a referee for that, we are lucky to have them, lets not abuse them. Lets hope the Officials in question do not read this forum with some of the unsavoury comments made directed at them here from members of certain clubs, no wonder they will give decisions against you now. IF it was not a foul (& I thought it was a foul) we all make mistakes, Gilby will tell you, the best way to understanding some decisions officials make is to talk civilly to the ref & not berate them :thumbsup:

On 22/03/2017 at 12:32, The Town Man said:

Just like to say that I have just watched some of the game on the Cornwall Channel and I may be biased but that was never a penalty to Saltash! It just looked like the Saltash player jumped for no reason. No contact from the Falmouth player at all!  I would be interested to hear other peoples opinions on this one.

Unlucky break again for Falmouth. It happened at a bad time in the game as Saltash had woken up and started to trouble our defence after going two down. Another 10 minutes and we may have been able to weather the storm, Quite literally in this case!  Think it  might be better if the cameras stay away from the big games in future as we were 2-0 up against Bodmin last time they were there and got beat again due to a questionable decision.

The weather played a massive part in the latter stages of the game as Falmouth were unable to get out of their half and Saltash showed their clash scoring 3 goals in 6 minutes.

Well done to Saltash though as they did not adopt the tactics of the other top teams in Cornwall and seemed to let the ref and assistants do their jobs without any abuse.  Best of luck to them in the final.

Same game changing, referee decision on the last Channel TV production i saw

Into stoppage time Falmouth 1-0 up but lose 1-2 as some Bodmin barman wearing "slippers" flags for a penalty

50 minutes ago, Mike Odgers said:

Same game changing, referee decision on the last Channel TV production i saw

Into stoppage time Falmouth 1-0 up but lose 1-2 as some Bodmin barman wearing "slippers" flags for a penalty

Ruined his converse one star shoes that evening, lucky he was in attendance, wonder if he ever did invoice CCFA for those pumps...

Still the Falmouth "rumour" lives on...

I know the person in question and if you ask the right people you get the right answers.

The penalty was awarded down at Falmouth by Steve Annis who was in charge that night, nobody else. The linesman in question was asked to stand in due to an injury, has ran the line on previous occasions and never given a bias decision, he is a football fan just the same as most of us.

The decision given by the linesman was to ask Mr Annis to speak to both the Bodmin full back that night and the Falmouth goalkeeper due to both kicking out.

Mr Annis deemed that the keepers contact was enough to award a penalty. So surely you should be questioning the ref not the linesman.

cornishrambler - I was there that night and he flagged for a penalty, no matter what he may be saying now.

It is a shame that most of what has been said about the semi final is over a decision being made by an official  - - I wasn't at the game, but if Rappo commented on it (he has never critiqued an official on a public medium before) and having seen the video - it was a doubtful call.  Big teams seem to get all the 50/50 calls, always has been and always will be. 

Did you hear the discussion between linesman and referee?... no you probably didn't he said to me 100% he never once mentioned giving a penalty to bodmin that was the decision of Steve Annis. He told the referee in question that the goalkeeper had kicked out when the bodmin full back dived in. Mr Annis decided because contact was made a penalty was to be awarded. 

What you have to ask, if falmouth were so aggrieved, why were they then sloppy enough to lose the game. Just like Falmouth the other night, they are to defeatest once the going gets tough in my opinion.

Bit of a shame big games like the two mentioned above were virtually decided by contentious decisions. Having looked at the footage by Willow it was without doubt a poor decision, it looked it at the time on the other side of the ground and you've got to feel sorry for a Newquay team that have had a difficult rebuilding season holding a team with a budget probably five times the size of their own getting a bad call like that in the 82nd minute which ended their chances. Still it's not Bodmins fault that they went on to score from it with a free header from bad marking but I think less is more sometimes where a flag happy Linesman is concerned! Not just the goal but a few offsides he was well behind the play on both halves. That one poor shout resulted in a lot of animosity after which ruined what was a very good game and credit to all the players for lots of good passing football on a very sticky pitch. In his defence he's only got one quick look at it but I'm one if it's not a 100% foul, which that wasn't even a 20% then don't give it. The spectators are there to watch a flowing game of football not whistles and flags!! 

Anyone who understands football will know that is never a foul, never has been, never will be. Yes Bodmin could've had 7/8 but then again Newquay could be easily been ahead by a few goals in the first half with Bodmin playing a high line and being caught out for pace a few times. Even Bodmin supporters and management where saying how poor the officials were after the game.

2 hours ago, cornishrambler said:

Did you hear the discussion between linesman and referee?... no you probably didn't he said to me 100% he never once mentioned giving a penalty to bodmin that was the decision of Steve Annis. He told the referee in question that the goalkeeper had kicked out when the bodmin full back dived in. Mr Annis decided because contact was made a penalty was to be awarded. 

What you have to ask, if falmouth were so aggrieved, why were they then sloppy enough to lose the game. Just like Falmouth the other night, they are to defeatest once the going gets tough in my opinion.

That is indeed correct in every detail !

1 hour ago, cornishrambler said:

The thread was about the semi finals - all I would say is that the linesman flagged for a foul -  very theatrically - Mr Annis had looked away so was guided solely by the linesman - should he have given a penalty on the decision of an unofficial Bodmin linesman is another question and was well discussed before. 

Bodmin, as a team with quality players on that night and against Newquay in the semi took full advantage of a team still In disarray (as aggrieved by an officials decision) and closed the game out - that's what winners do.

However the decision against Newquay looked very very poor, did it change the final result or deserved winners, almost certainly not - should the linesman be held accountable by the CCFA (there was a Ref, another ass ref, 4th official and 5th official and no doubt several CCFA Council members present) - Yes (not vilified but certainly sitting down and questioning whether he is up to officiating at this level).

3 minutes ago, Bobjfh said:

However the decision against Newquay looked very very poor, did it change the final result or deserved winners, almost certainly not - should the linesman be held accountable by the CCFA (there was a Ref, another ass ref, 4th official and 5th official and no doubt several CCFA Council members present) - Yes (not vilified but certainly sitting down and questioning whether he is up to officiating at this level).

Bit harsh surely? We all make the occasional mistake!

4 minutes ago, Dave Deacon said:

Bit harsh surely? We all make the occasional mistake!

Dave - totally agree, I make them all the time - BUT - if it was a one off decision that was wrong, that's one thing - it appears (I stress I wasn't there) his general performance was not great - I believe the CCFA do continuous professional development reviews of officials and on that night there were plenty of CCFA officials who could make an informed decision on performance - this was a showcase event for County senior football after all. 

57 minutes ago, 110% Cornish said:

Pipe down Leeds, I've been trying not to write anything on this thread about the game but the officials were a disgrace and everybody else is correct that it was a very even game with Newquay still in the game. 4-2 down game over! Big clubs getting all the luck and decisions as always!

Go take your kitten for a walk 100% Cornish, don't you come on here giving the big one, BIG clubs get BIG by WINNING football matches & trophies, you also MAKE your own luck,  Not my fault that Newquay have neither & barring a 'default' will not stay in the league. What's the betting that the officials in charge of our league encounter on Tuesday now give Newquay every 50/50 decision to avoid the treatment that last Tuesdays officials have had...

18 minutes ago, leedsunited said:

Go take your kitten for a walk 100% Cornish, don't you come on here giving the big one, BIG clubs get BIG by WINNING football matches & trophies, you also MAKE your own luck,  Not my fault that Newquay have neither & barring a 'default' will not stay in the league. What's the betting that the officials in charge of our league encounter on Tuesday now give Newquay every 50/50 decision to avoid the treatment that last Tuesdays officials have had...

100% Cornish hasn't said anything Leeds ! You should have gone to specsavers mate !

Thanks Mattelot very confusing with someone with the name 110% Cornish think he could of come up with something different i havnt said a word this time but i will be up there ties night shouting on the peppermints hoping they can beat Bodmin and stay in the league i just got a feeling Newquay and St Blazey will both stay in the league they need to for Cornish football .Think u need to get the right person Leeds Utd look closely im 100% Cornish