Cornwall Football Forum

RESULTS - Tuesday April 23, 2024

Tuesday April 23, 2024

Bridgwater United   5-0      Barnstaple Town

Saltash United     3-0            Shepton Mallet

Torpoint Athletic   1-2         Helston Athletic

Welton Rovers     4-4             Ilfracombe Town

Agree- the league table doesn't lie. Best team we played against. They'll do well in the Southern League 🙂🙂

Meanwhile Saltash 3 Shepton Mallet 0. Att 102.

Cracking game again and Jordan Duffy pulled some wonder saves off- point blank at 2-0 a real turning point. Goals from Joe Preece x2 and Tom Huyton the last 2 were proper thunderbolts. Shepton fairly physical but never gave up!

Looks like Falmouth v Bridgwater in the play off semi as well.

Just now, Philheybrookbay said:

Agree- the league table doesn't lie. Best team we played against. They'll do well in the Southern League 🙂🙂

Cracking game again and Jordan Duffy pulled some wonder saves off- point blank at 2-0 a real turning point. Goals from Joe Preece x2 and Tom Huyton the last 2 were proper thunderbolts. Shepton fairly physical but never gave up!

The Ashes are ending the season in decent form  Hope that they keep this side together in the summer, the Cornish step 4 clubs are bound to have an eye on a few of these players.

• Dave Deacon changed the title to RESULTS - Tuesday April 23, 2024
57 minutes ago, Philheybrookbay said:

Season ending as the Ashes come into some good form. I’m expecting further improvement to be seen next season! 
The potential for a good side is there. A few more experienced heads maybe needed though!

2 hours ago, Numpty said:

not if full time is correct as it shows as a 5-0 bridgwater win  which if correct would leave barnstaple in pos 5 which is who falmouth would play.

1 hour ago, John Henry said:

Bridgwater won 5-0 

Wasn't expecting Barnstaple to concede five goals.  The results on Saturday will confirm the play-off semis.  Falmouth Town will finish second, I would expect Bridgwater to finish third, so it's down to Clevedon and Barnstaple to sort out fourth and fifth between them.

9 hours ago, Ian Pethick said:

Looks like Falmouth v Bridgwater in the play off semi as well.

The Ashes are ending the season in decent form  Hope that they keep this side together in the summer, the Cornish step 4 clubs are bound to have an eye on a few of these players.

Ah I thought I heard the music from The Magic Roundabout start up!

Talking about next season already as a club - budgets, ambitions, kit and with the clubhouse refurbishment in full swing I'm hopeful for a quieter summer! 

Well I was until the FA sprung their new system for player registration late yesterday. More learning! 

Congratulations to Matt, Mass & everybody at Helston 👏🏆🍾

Also, a very well done to the other Cornish teams, acquitting themselves so well in such a demanding league.

A special mention to everyone at Millbrook, putting in a hell of a shift, showing real togetherness & fighting spirit to put a team out & finish the season, when nobody gave them a hope in hell!

All best to Westy & Co. Let's hope they can make it 2 up from the duchy 🤞

53 minutes ago, Rob Hosking said:

A special mention to everyone at Millbrook, putting in a hell of a shift, showing real togetherness & fighting spirit to put a team out & finish the season, when nobody gave them a hope in hell!

A bigger budget than most mid table sides would help with that too Rob.

3 hours ago, John Henry said:

Falmouth,Clevedon ,Bridgwater or Barnstaple to be promoted that is the question.who is your choice to be victorious and why?

Falmouth are who I want to win it. Good for Cornish football, keeps the debate "lively" on this forum and also upsets the Southern League clubs who will have to make another trip to West Cornwall. 

The downside though is that it will further devalue the Cornwall Senior Cup (a good chance the holders will not be able to defend their title next season).

Bridgwater are hitting form at the right time though, and how many times in football do the top ranked sides in the final league table miss out in the play offs.

4 hours ago, John Henry said:

Falmouth,Clevedon ,Bridgwater or Barnstaple to be promoted that is the question.who is your choice to be victorious and why?

Tough that . All  4 of them on their day can beat each other. Falmouth need to find some form. Barnstaple on back of a very heavy loss last night. Clevedon seem hit and miss 
I would say Bridgewater favourites for me.  

4 hours ago, Ian Pethick said:

Falmouth are who I want to win it. Good for Cornish football, keeps the debate "lively" on this forum and also upsets the Southern League clubs who will have to make another trip to West Cornwall. 

The downside though is that it will further devalue the Cornwall Senior Cup (a good chance the holders will not be able to defend their title next season).

Bridgwater are hitting form at the right time though, and how many times in football do the top ranked sides in the final league table miss out in the play offs.

Bit presumptuous that,Falmouth haven't made the Final yet.

There are 3 teams from the SWPL still left in and any one of them is entitled to defend the trophy next season,with St Austell/Liskeard maybe promoted to a higher league that can still compete in the competition.

Anyway.

' Up The Town '

1 hour ago, rocky170267 said:

You surely can’t play the final at Home ???

Yeah, highest placed team at home for each play-off match. Even in the National League North & South they use that format (not sure if the same applies in the main division of the National League). 

From a personal point of view, I wouldn't mind if Barnstaple won the play offs.

Falmouth home and away is always worth a watch and guaranteed two good crowds.

Clevedon and Bridgwater are easy trips using the M5. 

Barnstaple on the other hand is a long old trip. Not miles wise, but there isn't a decent road there and it takes forever. 

7 hours ago, Paul said:

Barnstaple on the other hand is a long old trip. Not miles wise, but there isn't a decent road there and it takes forever. 

You'll forgive me if I don't share your enthusiasm for this comment.  🤣

On 25/04/2024 at 00:10, Paul said:

Barnstaple are one of those clubs I have always had a dislike for, goes back many years to my Liskeard following days. The trip, the ground, everything. 

Remember as well Ian Southcott effectively having his playing career finished when Phil Lloyd, ex Torquay brute of a centre half, scythed him down from behind in a Les Phillips Cup tie in (I think) 1994.

1 hour ago, Ian Pethick said:

Barnstaple are one of those clubs I have always had a dislike for, goes back many years to my Liskeard following days. The trip, the ground, everything. 

Remember as well Ian Southcott effectively having his playing career finished when Phil Lloyd, ex Torquay brute of a centre half, scythed him down from behind in a Les Phillips Cup tie in (I think) 1994.

I remember Ian Southcott well Ian. I played many years for Buckland Monachorum & Crapstone in the Plymouth Combination  Premier league, we used to play Gunnislake in the Bedford Cup. Ian was was a very talented youngster playing for Gunnislake back in those days. There were lots of Southcotts involved with them, in particular i remember Ians brother Andy who was an electrician in the yard, loved Andy, so friendly off the pitch but uncompromising on it. Was gutted when i heard he passed away at a very young age.

With regards to Falmouth Town playing at home in the playoffs including the final if we get there. By finishing 2nd surely we've earned the right to be at home. In the old days it used to be the top 2 that gained promotion but to keep leagues alive the playoff system was introduced. But teams finishing in the lower positions got a 'Get out of jail free card' but will have to do it away from home... sounds about right to me. 

4 hours ago, Ian Pethick said:

I remember Dad saying the same ref Ian S.

think Saltash had similar situation in their 'play off' last season when they had to play the team that finished 2nd bottom of Southern league Div one, which they had to play Bristol Manor Farm away.  Game was hastily arranged for a few days after the season finished midweek as league places in southern league were not confirmed until last day of the season! 

2 hours ago, Jeff Chambers said:

I remember Ian Southcott well Ian. I played many years for Buckland Monachorum & Crapstone in the Plymouth Combination  Premier league, we used to play Gunnislake in the Bedford Cup. Ian was was a very talented youngster playing for Gunnislake back in those days. There were lots of Southcotts involved with them, in particular i remember Ians brother Andy who was an electrician in the yard, loved Andy, so friendly off the pitch but uncompromising on it. Was gutted when i heard he passed away at a very young age.

With regards to Falmouth Town playing at home in the playoffs including the final if we get there. By finishing 2nd surely we've earned the right to be at home. In the old days it used to be the top 2 that gained promotion but to keep leagues alive the playoff system was introduced. But teams finishing in the lower positions got a 'Get out of jail free card' but will have to do it away from home... sounds about right to me. 

Ian Southcott, really talented goal scorer and favourite at Lux Park (will even forgive him for that year away at Saltash). He scored 30 league goals in what was, to be honest, a pretty awful Liskeard side in 1992/93, which kept us from getting relegated from the Western League Prem. 

2 hours ago, Jeff Chambers said:

Think most people will agree that the play offs have added extra interest to the business end of the Western League, and kept the season alive for a group of clubs. I'm a big fan (although I'm certain I would feel differently if my team finished 2nd, then got beat in them).