Cornwall Football Forum

Statement signing for the G

2 minutes ago, cornish leg end said:

Just read on social media G have announced Harry Pope as there new manager. With what he’s done in the past and his connection this is a game changer for the G. 

Is he the fellow who was last years Penryns manager for most of the season?

1 minute ago, iand said:

Is he the fellow who was last years Penryns manager for most of the season?

Yes and the few years before. Done very well as a manager

1 minute ago, leedsunited said:

What he's done in the past?? 

Leeds you’ve done enough reading and posting on here over the years have a read back through and you’ll see 😉

7 hours ago, cornish leg end said:

Just read on social media G have announced Harry Pope as there new manager. With what he’s done in the past and his connection this is a game changer for the G. 

100% cornish gets his wish .

Could be Newquays worst nightmare .

Yes got my wish and i suggested him to Nigel last week and he took my advice met Harry last night at the Goonhaven match seemed a good bloke but time will tell ,let the Glory Days return to the G , few more players needed the ones i would keep would be Sean Semmens ,Matt Saunders ,Guy Bolton ,Matty Walker and Eli Evans if hes not at TAVI permanently .Happy Days hopefully but will miss Adam hopefully Josh will stay and work alongside Harry 

5 hours ago, 100%cornish said:

Yes got my wish and i suggested him to Nigel last week and he took my advice met Harry last night at the Goonhaven match seemed a good bloke but time will tell ,let the Glory Days return to the G , few more players needed the ones i would keep would be Sean Semmens ,Matt Saunders ,Guy Bolton ,Matty Walker and Eli Evans if hes not at TAVI permanently .Happy Days hopefully but will miss Adam hopefully Josh will stay and work alongside Harry 

Did a superb job at Penryn, hopefully the time away from the game has recharged his batteries. Has got a big job on his hands though pulling together a squad in the couple of weeks before the season starts. 

Why would those players leave Newquay i expect they are all paid more than the G pay there players the G have players just as good as them and we had Dan Carne before why would he want to come back granted the facilities are better at Newquay but Godolphin is  a real family club and in my opinion Newquay is not wont stop me going there though just to watch Ross Fallens hes

class and who carries Newquay in most matches like JBE before him .

People need to give Harry Pope a chance i think he will do brilliant and bring the good times back like in the Derek Martyn era i cant wait to get out there for there 1st league game vs Launceston and see what new players have come in Jack Rapsey and Russel May top of my wish list .

Off to see Newquay play St Just tmmrw i havnt been very impressed with Newquay  in pre season from so far i just cant see where they will get there goals from 

55 minutes ago, 100%cornish said:

Why would those players leave Newquay i expect they are all paid more than the G pay there players the G have players just as good as them and we had Dan Carne before why would he want to come back granted the facilities are better at Newquay but Godolphin is  a real family club and in my opinion Newquay is not wont stop me going there though just to watch Ross Fallens hes

People need to give Harry Pope a chance i think he will do brilliant and bring the good times back like in the Derek Martyn era i cant wait to get out there for there 1st league game vs Launceston and see what new players have come in Jack Rapsey and Russel May top of my wish list .

Off to see Newquay play St Just tmmrw i havnt been very impressed with Newquay  in pre season from so far i just cant see where they will get there goals from 

Sorry you went to far then when saying bring back the good times derek had. They won’t ever be back like that. Derek was a class manager players wanted to play for him for the enjoyment not the money. Derek most underrated manager to have managed in Cornish football. 

Harry Pope might bring some short term success to the club (top half of the table, but no where near a trophy).

However, Godolphin would do well to look at how Harry left TMS, then Carharrack and now Penryn. 

It’s a case of when he leaves, not if. And when he goes and all his mates follow him, will Godolphin be in a better or worse position as a club?

7 minutes ago, FootballChat said:

Harry Pope might bring some short term success to the club (top half of the table, but no where near a trophy).

However, Godolphin would do well to look at how Harry left TMS, then Carharrack and now Penryn. 

It’s a case of when he leaves, not if. And when he goes and all his mates follow him, will Godolphin be in a better or worse position as a club?

It’s an interesting subject this, whilst he’s a good manager with proven success and contacts to players, like you say G is a family club with values, are we going to boot out players who want to play for the club and have for seasons, for short term additions there for the wrong reasons. Short term success and then a manager leaving and taking all those ‘new additions’ with him will leave the club in a mess. Those loyal to the G will long of left.

some of the names being thrown about as signings are good players but would have no interest in playing for the G we’re it not for Harry. So do we want players who want to play for the club, or just for the manager..

50 minutes ago, cornish leg end said:

Sorry you went to far then when saying bring back the good times derek had. They won’t ever be back like that. Derek was a class manager players wanted to play for him for the enjoyment not the money. Derek most underrated manager to have managed in Cornish football. 

We talk, quite rightly, about the rise of clubs like Wendron and Mousehole, but will we ever see something along the lines of what Godolphin achieved (with Derek Martin being a big part of that) ever again? From being promoted to the ECPL from the Duchy League, through to the Peninsula League, and winning the Peninsula League Cup within 10 seasons is quite a story, and probably couldn't be repeated now.

1 hour ago, 100%cornish said:

Because they have played under pope before and he gets the best out of these players, money is the issue but also G arnt short of money so time will tell.

unfortunately Russell may has joined wendron and rapsey has signed for Wadebridge 

10 minutes ago, 100%cornish said:

Yes i know where they have gone but i still expect if they wanted to move they would like Leivers and Boase at Newquay if the new G manager wants them im sure the would go because the team they play for now wont want to keep unhappy players 

You do realise pope only managed and rapsey for 1/2 seasons. Difference with the players at Newquay is he’s coached them since the age of 16 

2 hours ago, Way Of The Park said:

We talk, quite rightly, about the rise of clubs like Wendron and Mousehole, but will we ever see something along the lines of what Godolphin achieved (with Derek Martin being a big part of that) ever again? From being promoted to the ECPL from the Duchy League, through to the Peninsula League, and winning the Peninsula League Cup within 10 seasons is quite a story, and probably couldn't be repeated now.

Helston went from the Combo through both Peninsula Divisions to ultimately the Western League (so far) so not unique to the G but still an admirable rise.

Nick Boase and Brad Leivers are both quality players and i cant see them leaving Newquay but i wouldnt be surprised to see Jack Rapsey leave Wadebridge for Newquay because i cannot see him playing every week for the Bridger they have a lot of strikers and he wont shift Lloyd and Flew then theres also Sam Mellor and the lad Vallejo they got from Blazey ex Penryn i will say Jack RAPSEY will be at the G for when the season starts and hopefully Russel May if he can be persuading to leave Wendron who are  a fantastic club with lovely people and they got a good team as well surprised me to see Fred Walter leaving them . 

Ok Godolphin to win he league ,Senior Cup , Walter Parsons CUP and the Vase and Harry Pope to get manager of the year well i can dream cant i 

9 minutes ago, 100%cornish said:

Nick Boase and Brad Leivers are both quality players and i cant see them leaving Newquay but i wouldnt be surprised to see Jack Rapsey leave Wadebridge for Newquay because i cannot see him playing every week for the Bridger they have a lot of strikers and he wont shift Lloyd and Flew then theres also Sam Mellor and the lad Vallejo they got from Blazey ex Penryn i will say Jack RAPSEY will be at the G for when the season starts and hopefully Russel May if he can be persuading to leave Wendron who are  a fantastic club with lovely people and they got a good team as well surprised me to see Fred Walter leaving them . 

Ok Godolphin to win he league ,Senior Cup , Walter Parsons CUP and the Vase and Harry Pope to get manager of the year well i can dream cant i 

We’ll see what happens it’ll be interesting for sure.. where had fred gone? 

2 hours ago, BAGMAN said:

Helston went from the Combo through both Peninsula Divisions to ultimately the Western League (so far) so not unique to the G but still an admirable rise.

Yes, quite a rise, but think Duchy Premier in 2004/5 to SW Peninsula League Cup winners in 2014/15 is a greater achievement. 

Hi Steve, not sure about the other lads but can tell you from the horses mouth Jack loves it at Wadebridge and won’t be going anywhere mate! Just to knock it on the head. He loves and respects Rower ( don’t we all, funniest bloke ever! ) and is loving the training with Dan, Wayne and Wittser. Always rated Lloydy and Flewy myself Steve but I think you’ll find Rower got plans for Jack in his team, admittedly they had some tough old friendlies against top teams to start the pre season but heard he was excellent the other night and that came from Matt at Polperro who certainly knows his football. Scored 2, set a couple up, hit the bar and the post as well, so he’s more than happy at Wadebridge and delighted to be back there and won’t be going anywhere mate. Cant speak for the other lads but Newquay is a great old club and I’m sure they are all happy to be there as well, all very good players as I’m sure you will see as the season progresses. I’ve certainly enjoyed watching all those lads over the last 3 seasons or so Covid wise! Catch you and my old mate Smokie at a game soon Steve, probably not Godolphin though! Off to Liskeard tonight to see two quality teams and a great game hopefully!?

Enjoy your game tonight Rappo should be  a cracker some great strikers on show i fancy Mousehole with the 5 Newquay lads in there team but Jennings and Lorenz they are going to score some goals this season .

Hope Jack does well at the bridger ,im there again next Thursday to see the Truro ACADEMY side play there and my neighbour wants me to take lots of photos of his son who will be playing a half in goal for Wadebridge 

See you at a game soon Mark i will say score tonight will be Liskeard 2 - Mousehole 3 

1 hour ago, RAPPO said:

Hi Steve, not sure about the other lads but can tell you from the horses mouth Jack loves it at Wadebridge and won’t be going anywhere mate! Just to knock it on the head. He loves and respects Rower ( don’t we all, funniest bloke ever! ) and is loving the training with Dan, Wayne and Wittser. Always rated Lloydy and Flewy myself Steve but I think you’ll find Rower got plans for Jack in his team, admittedly they had some tough old friendlies against top teams to start the pre season but heard he was excellent the other night and that came from Matt at Polperro who certainly knows his football. Scored 2, set a couple up, hit the bar and the post as well, so he’s more than happy at Wadebridge and delighted to be back there and won’t be going anywhere mate. Cant speak for the other lads but Newquay is a great old club and I’m sure they are all happy to be there as well, all very good players as I’m sure you will see as the season progresses. I’ve certainly enjoyed watching all those lads over the last 3 seasons or so Covid wise! Catch you and my old mate Smokie at a game soon Steve, probably not Godolphin though! Off to Liskeard tonight to see two quality teams and a great game hopefully!?

Must take after his mother then mate if he’s only scoring two and hitting the bar and the post. The old man would’ve scored them all 🤣🤣🤣

Haha hope you’re well Bash! Hopefully catch you at a game soon mate!!?  I’ll be down Helston just to have one of those 🍔 cheeseburgers from the kitchen never mind the good football 😁

Good prediction Steve! Mousehole did indeed score 3 goals! Just that Liskeard didn’t get the 2 you said, although they came very close! Especially DJs diving header against the bar 2nd half. Mousehole played some stunning football, the little short sharp stuff around the corner on the edge of the area and one-twos was electric and Hayden Turners little dummy just before half time was worth the entrance fee of £8! (took the mrs) spent bout £15, she can’t half drink tea! Great strike from Watto near the end as well, still class, great signing for Ashy who must have been delighted with his boys. Spoke to Hodgie, Lee and DJ quickly after and they were pleased with the Blues performance and quite rightly so, thought they were excellent all over the pitch, and as we said they ain’t gonna play a Mousehole every week! Favourites to win the SWPL for me and even more so after watching them last night, said to my mrs you could be watching the champions of the Western and SWPL here tonight but she was watching Love Island on her phone!! 😂

Sat with premier league official of 14 seasons Simon Long all 2nd half and had a great insight into refereeing and assistant refs, there’s a lot to it! Positioning is everything, fitness, etc. Thought the ref and Lino’s had a good game last night, got the big decisions right, a few pen shouts first half, handled the game well with a smile. Both keepers excellent as well by the way Ollie Chenoweth and Luke Gwillam both made a few good saves especially at 0-0. Very good nights football between two very good teams who will no doubt be challenging and possibly winning their respective league titles this season!? 👏🏼👍

On 22/07/2022 at 15:29, 100%cornish said:

Another win for the G on Tuesday! Wasn't able to watch that one but its looking like a positive pre season in terms of results, not so sure on how the squad is looking though. Has anyone changed their minds on where they think teams will finish this season after watching pre season?

Gdoing well Jay Davie is prooving to be scoring the goals he has looked good when i have seen him play ,Need someone to play alongside Matt Saunders in the centre of the defence ,I think the G will end up 10th or 12 the Newquay need a centre forward the defence looks good and the midfield with Ross Fallens there will always do well .

Will see how good Newquay are when they play Lydney this Saturday have heard Lydney havnt got a goalie but you hear lots of rumours 

7 hours ago, 100%cornish said:

Gdoing well Jay Davie is prooving to be scoring the goals he has looked good when i have seen him play ,Need someone to play alongside Matt Saunders in the centre of the defence ,I think the G will end up 10th or 12 the Newquay need a centre forward the defence looks good and the midfield with Ross Fallens there will always do well .

Will see how good Newquay are when they play Lydney this Saturday have heard Lydney havnt got a goalie but you hear lots of rumours 

Fallens will be sent off more than he does play this season. As good as he can be discipline is major problem for him.

• 5 months later...