Cornwall Football Forum

Season predictions

23 minutes ago, The Town Man said:

Helston with Matt Cusack at the helm and I assume a healthy budget should challenge.  Mousehole to win it though.

I don’t think you can go from 9th to challenging.   I think top 5/6 is a good first season for Matt.  

For me I think the challengers will be mousehole, Barnstaple and Bridgwater with shepton mallet as outsiders. 

having said that saltash came 4th last season and are spending a lot more money this season so pressure is on them to be in the mix too.  

I’m biased… but looking around Mousehole/Helston and ourselves should go very well. Torpoint and Falmouth will be easily top ten I’d say with Buckland in there. Barnstaple are unknown. 

Bridgwater were my tip last season and I know that if they want to push on this has to be the season as they’ve works planned on the pitch which is causing them issues. 

I do think Millbrook will be the lowest side locally but to consolidate will probably be their aim. 

Bottom two- worries for Ashton and Backwell (but a great club) and possibly Keynsham - new manager and new chair needed. I think the strikers who were on daft money may well have moved on. 

4 hours ago, Philheybrookbay said:

I’m biased… but looking around Mousehole/Helston and ourselves should go very well. Torpoint and Falmouth will be easily top ten I’d say with Buckland in there. Barnstaple are unknown. 

Bridgwater were my tip last season and I know that if they want to push on this has to be the season as they’ve works planned on the pitch which is causing them issues. 

I do think Millbrook will be the lowest side locally but to consolidate will probably be their aim. 

Bottom two- worries for Ashton and Backwell (but a great club) and possibly Keynsham - new manager and new chair needed. I think the strikers who were on daft money may well have moved

I don’t think you should discount bridgewater, Barnstaple and especially Shepton Mallett who were a very good team last season. 

What is success for saltash this season Phil? The players you have signed have never come cheap in the past. 

Have seen Saltash (last season and PSF) and most other Western League teams - Saltash will challenge and top 3 for me. Mousehole are team to beat - both look teams, well drilled and lots of quality. Sheps will take some beating and I agree both Bridgewater and (newly funded) Barnstaple will be up there - but as an ‘outside bet’ I wouldn’t rule out Buckland - a team and club waiting / expecting to go further.
i though Falmouth looked very good, but a bit one dimensional - attack, and didn’t have the midfield they need this season, but exciting to watch . I know this is a Cornwall Forum but don’t know about Helston - never seen them play but they seem to occupy a lot of this forum’s topics so may be worth a watch. 

Saltash not had a great pre season. Lost to ivybridge, maybe just a case of new players coming in and new management ideas  might take time to gel. 
helston no one knows . They had another game tonight losing 3-0 to Taunton  with zero line up , its almost like this helston team is some sort of secret  very odd don’t understand it all . 

9 hours ago, The Observer__ said:

I don’t think you should discount bridgewater, Barnstaple and especially Shepton Mallett who were a very good team last season. 

What is success for saltash this season Phil? The players you have signed have never come cheap in the past. 

What is success this season? 

The feel good factor back.

And it is. 👍

9 hours ago, sportsman10 said:

Saltash not had a great pre season. Lost to ivybridge, maybe just a case of new players coming in and new management ideas  might take time to gel. 
helston no one knows . They had another game tonight losing 3-0 to Taunton  with zero line up , its almost like this helston team is some sort of secret  very odd don’t understand it all . 

A bit of holding their own counsel is not necessarily a bad thing , contrasts with the ballyhoo and hype that has surrounded Helston in recent years. 

10 hours ago, sportsman10 said:

Heard from acquaintances who attended that Saltash looked completely out of sorts v Ivybridge with little threat throughout. Apparently Ivy were decidedly unlucky to not win by a far greater margin than the 2-0 suggests?

The same chaps who went along to the game were a little disappointed to find half the ground shut off with keep off signs all around the grass banks. Some blokes ignored it (seeing it was so ridiculous) and were immediately accosted by the ground staff militia.

Saltash will probably claim health & safety rules, however, with Covid rocketing & cases up 30% this week alone it seems totally irresponsible to coral everyone into the small stand area and along the narrow clubhouse walkway.

Seems things are going from bad to worse at Saltash, on and off the pitch.

Shame really.

3 minutes ago, Uwdi Krugg said:

half the ground shut off with keep off signs all around the grass banks.

Same as last season!

It was the same at Falmouth last Saturday with the side opposite the grandstand out of bounds. Failed the ground grading and therefore has to be fenced off as per FA regulations.

1 hour ago, Dave Deacon said:

Same as last season!

It was the same at Falmouth last Saturday with the side opposite the grandstand out of bounds. Failed the ground grading and therefore has to be fenced off as per FA regulations.

Falmouth failed ground grading? The f troop professionals were meant to be sorting the place out 🙄

Mousehole favourites this season, narrowly missed out last season after a few covid disasters, have had a couple of quality additions this summer and the experience of last year will help.

Anything could happen at Saltash, on paper should challenge but could also blow up by Xmas.

Helston, it's the same boring line but there's no excuses not to be challenging with the amount of money being spent down there. They have to be winning the league but I'm sure Cusack will fall back on the needing time line which to be honest is nonsense, it's just whether Massey agrees!

Falmouth and Torpoint should go well, Millbrook I imagine will face a tough season losing Shepherd but I'm sure they'll also be fine! 

Think mousehole will do well this season along with Barnstaple, those two will be up there come the end of the season

torpoint and Falmouth will do well too, top 8 realistic, both settled squads and have a goalscorer(s) but both could do with a bit more quality in the squad

helston would expect to do well pushing top 4 with one of the best coaches in the south west, knows the league and how to get out of it but may need a season to get the squad settled and get his ideas across

saltash again have the quality but watching them v Ivybridge looked a team of individuals, some big names so splashing the cash and got player sponsorship in place to help finance this. Three big names/personalities at the helm in Krac, Lewis and Bevan, none with a lot of coaching experience, could it be a case of too many cooks?

Millbrook think will be pleased with consolidating this year with two big players Shepard and Payne gone to helston, and am I right in thinking chairman gone too, so on and off the pitch some work to do. 

8 hours ago, Uwdi Krugg said:

Heard from acquaintances who attended that Saltash looked completely out of sorts v Ivybridge with little threat throughout. Apparently Ivy were decidedly unlucky to not win by a far greater margin than the 2-0 suggests?

The same chaps who went along to the game were a little disappointed to find half the ground shut off with keep off signs all around the grass banks. Some blokes ignored it (seeing it was so ridiculous) and were immediately accosted by the ground staff militia.

Saltash will probably claim health & safety rules, however, with Covid rocketing & cases up 30% this week alone it seems totally irresponsible to coral everyone into the small stand area and along the narrow clubhouse walkway.

Seems things are going from bad to worse at Saltash, on and off the pitch.

Shame really.

U K - as a new member to the forum, I have tried to read lots of previous posts from people to get an idea of ‘where they are coming from’ - yours always seem positive and some great reports, but recently seem a bit more barbed?

Saltash will have no choice other than to close off the banked area - I believe, the FA in their great wisdom will not allow any banks at Step 5 and above to ensure there is no chance of a crush due to over excited spectators. I’m sure Saltash would love to be able to use the banks - they are the best place to watch from at Saltash. 

8 hours ago, sportsman10 said:

Isn’t that to do with the banks not being permitted?  Not sure what the plan is when argyle turn up on Wednesday to play Saltash. Would imagine they will lose out a fair bit of revenue 

I doubt they will need the banks for argyle under 18.  

its not a first team game 

Krac has suggested he doesn’t want to play at all but be in the dug out . All the more surprised that Danny Lewis as the manager  is still playing after only just recovering from a broken leg. Surly at this level you need a manager completely focused on managing the team  

they have a big enough  squad without needing him surly  

20 hours ago, Xanie25 said:

Millbrook are shaping up well, some talented youngsters now on board. A good mix of experience too, I think this team may spring some surprises this season. Time will tell but a team playing as a team and not relying on one or two players is the way forward 

I just saw they beat St Austell 1-6 on a Saturday only a PSF I know , but I would have expected both teams to try their metal with a game of this stature.

3 hours ago, Philheybrookbay said:

Did I miss something - reference a broken leg? 

I see Sherborne Town have parted company with their title winning manager yesterday. 

I thought he had a bad injury back end of last season and broke his ankle/ leg . maybe it wasn’t such  a bad an injury then  

still an odd decision to continue playing in my eyes , if he still wants to continue surly make Shane the manager not the assistant 

has Dane taking a break from football ? Or has he taking another managers role elsewhere ?

10 hours ago, sportsman10 said:

Yes I think you are Right I forgot Bevan came in as assistant. How does that work having 2 managers ? Who has the final say ? Not sure many other clubs with 2 managers that o know of 

As an outsider looking in, Shane Krac is definately the manager with Lee Bevan as his 1st team coach. Seems that Danny Lewis will continue to play when required and presumaby has the role of assistant manager/assistant coach.🤷‍♂️ Danny broke his ankle at Tavistock at the back end of last season. 

32 minutes ago, Tractor Boy said:

As an outsider looking in, Shane Krac is definately the manager with Lee Bevan as his 1st team coach. Seems that Danny Lewis will continue to play when required and presumaby has the role of assistant manager/assistant coach.🤷‍♂️ Danny broke his ankle at Tavistock at the back end of last season. 

No idea of Shane Krac's fitness levels, and if he is going to have a run out in pre season, but on ability alone he would walk into this Saltash side. Wonder if he will get the taste for it from the sidelines in time? Possibly why he has the strong looking (if unproven at management level) duo of Lee Bevan and Danny Lewis alongside him.

2 hours ago, Way Of The Park said:

No idea of Shane Krac's fitness levels, and if he is going to have a run out in pre season, but on ability alone he would walk into this Saltash side. Wonder if he will get the taste for it from the sidelines in time? Possibly why he has the strong looking (if unproven at management level) duo of Lee Bevan and Danny Lewis alongside him.

You wonder if Danny wanted the mangers job ? He doing the exact same role he was under Dane  . Maybe the idea was always for Shane to be the manager with Lee Bevan. 

From what I have seen of saltash so far 3 games, they have replaced promising young fit players with ageing players.  As a team they look slow...compared to last season, so I'll go for saltash finishing around 7/8 spot, with the western league being split in two next season ,I feel many local clubs will be happy to stay were they are this season, because next season 23/24  will be very interesting, my top 3 in no particular order are Bridgewater Barnstaple Mousehole,  dark horses  torpoint,

23 minutes ago, tamar.man said:

From what I have seen of saltash so far 3 games, they have replaced promising young fit players with ageing players.  As a team they look slow...compared to last season, so I'll go for saltash finishing around 7/8 spot, with the western league being split in two next season ,I feel many local clubs will be happy to stay were they are this season, because next season 23/24  will be very interesting, my top 3 in no particular order are Bridgewater Barnstaple Mousehole,  dark horses  

For me, lots of questions surrounding Saltash. The new management team of Shane Krac, Danny Lewis and Lee Bevan were top quality players on the local scene, but are all new to the managerial side and completely unproven (given the long and detailed wish list that The Ashes put on the job spec back in May, how many of these requirements do the new managers fulfill?)

Would have thought that an old hand on the local scene brought in as assistant manager/ideas board would have been beneficial. Tough league to cut your managerial teeth in, will be interesting to see how it plays out. If they are off the pace after a few months, would Shane Krac put his boots back on?  After the glittering and trophy laden career he has had, not sure how he would take to life as an also ran.

1 hour ago, tamar.man said:

From what I have seen of saltash so far 3 games, they have replaced promising young fit players with ageing players.  As a team they look slow...compared to last season, so I'll go for saltash finishing around 7/8 spot, with the western league being split in two next season ,I feel many local clubs will be happy to stay were they are this season, because next season 23/24  will be very interesting, my top 3 in no particular order are Bridgewater Barnstaple Mousehole,  dark horses  torpoint,

You can’t really say signing the likes of Harrison Davies and jake miller was going to make Saltash worse. It just going to take time for a lot of these players to get use to a new structure 

i do tho think as good as Adam Carter goal scoring record was he not the same player anymore could see at parkway he was coming to the end   , Saltash should have gone for getting Ryan Richards back or even a James Lorenz someone that offers a bit different to what they have will be reliant on Sam huges again  

The same with Shane he admitted himself he not the same player now he needs to put the trust in his players with Danny and concentrate on management. 
will be interesting to see them against parkway 

You only have to look at Mike Smith in pre season to see the difference he brings - by heck he carves up defences like a knife through butter. Factor in Adam Carter and Sam Hughes supporting with clearly a much improved hungry midfield and a serious increase in pace throughout the squad from last season and I’m not worried. Far from it. We knew what let us down last season, and it’s been addressed in spades. Fitness, coaching, new players and it’s all slotted in very well.

We’ve matched Truro and Tiverton very well and tonight sees the last friendly v Parkway. 

Let’s move on from the job spec- after all that was to get the best management for our players. We’ve done that imho. Now let’s see the field do the talking. 

3 hours ago, Philheybrookbay said:

You only have to look at Mike Smith in pre season to see the difference he brings - by heck he carves up defences like a knife through butter. Factor in Adam Carter and Sam Hughes supporting with clearly a much improved hungry midfield and a serious increase in pace throughout the squad from last season and I’m not worried. Far from it. We knew what let us down last season, and it’s been addressed in spades. Fitness, coaching, new players and it’s all slotted in very well.

We’ve matched Truro and Tiverton very well and tonight sees the last friendly v Parkway. 

Let’s move on from the job spec- after all that was to get the best management for our players. We’ve done that imho. Now let’s see the field do the talking. 

Jeez you’ve just put your current management team under pressure to come higher than 4th! 

You haven’t mentioned the increased money at their disposal either

my understanding is that the last manager was working with £600 a game. Which was highly likely to be one of the lowest budgets in the top 10. Even some SWPL sides had bugger budgets. so it’s like comparing apples and pairs as it’s closer to 1k this season.  

I think you’d do well to stay under the radar at this stage to be honest just incase the above predictions of 7th/8th place finish come to fruition  

However good luck for the season ahead