Cornwall Football Forum

2022-23 fixtures Thursday 9th June!

24 minutes ago, 100%cornish said:

Just looked at the new fixture list it looks a very  weak league now didnt even know Bude and Mullion are in the league , think this has got to be Blazeys season but also Liskeard and Bodmin will be pushing cant see any other teams 

Step 6 will be very weak after WL / SWPL merger. Rump Step 6 will be super poor then.

1 hour ago, 100%cornish said:

Just looked at the new fixture list it looks a very  weak league now didnt even know Bude and Mullion are in the league , think this has got to be Blazeys season but also Liskeard and Bodmin will be pushing cant see any other teams challenging these 3 

What about St.Austell's chances, their Chairman has high hopes of them challenging for the top spot this coming season.🙄.

3 hours ago, 100%cornish said:

Just looked at the new fixture list it looks a very  weak league now didnt even know Bude and Mullion are in the league , think this has got to be Blazeys season but also Liskeard and Bodmin will be pushing cant see any other teams challenging these 3 

Wendron? 

3 hours ago, Dave Deacon said:

Isn’t this what happens in league systems though! 

Yes, the same is said about the Southern League and the Western Leagues and, no doubt, about their equivalents throughout the country.

Around the time Conference North and South were established (2004), somebody said to me "it's the leagues that have been relegated". Lot of truth in rhat.

Officially step 6 football is now played by clubs that are outside the top-700 odd in the country. How the 600th, 700th and 800th best clubs compare with their counterparts of twenty, thirty or forty years ago is quite another matter. I've no idea myself but I'd be tempted to say "about the same".

You might also ask the same of the 10th, 20th or 30th best club in Cornwall and/or Devon. I'd actually be quite optimistic on that one although, again, it's impossible to be sure. It may, of course, tie in with your view of the world. You may be of the view that things generally improve; you may be certain the world is going to the dogs.

Credit again to Phil Hiscox for the early release of the fixtures and the way he explains things to people. I shall tell him that myself if I see him and his dog at the quay in Exeter.

1 minute ago, Monsoon said:

100% Cornish.Do you have a crystal ball pard ? How can you forecast any teams position when you don't know yet who's playing for who ? So far Bodmin have signed 2 players.Nobody knows yet who are staying or going from last seasons squad !

Last season’s top scorer for Bodmin Dan Jennings gone back to Wadebridge 

Completely impossible to know any team’s position. Even tho blazey have supposedly signed river Allen nothing to say he end up somewhere else before season starts. Same with every player . I remember some player signing for about 3 different teams in pre  season .  

You dont have to be a genius to see who the top teams are Bodmin have just signed 2 good players in Jordan Duffey and Jordan Hogan and they will have a strong side this year if im right with Carter and Landricombe going there what i have been told cant see Carter going to Saltash now that Mike Smith has gone back there and Liskeard have got all there same players so they will be a force and Blazey was strong before and now River Allen joining them and with a fit Liam Eddy if hes not practicing for Strictly after his stand out performance in the Helston Flora Dance you can see his dancing feet banging in lots of goals so Blazey definitly for me to win the league 

Levi landricombe will Stay at exmouth. I’m afraid Bodmin are in for a tough season.  the established sides Liskeard-Wendron - Wadebridge plus st blazey potentially improving will all come ahead of Bodmin, can even see callington doing so as well. 

I can’t see Bodmin finishing any higher then last season which would in effect mean they are worse.  

poor management choice I’m afraid from whoever is making the decisions at Bodmin. 

It was pleasing to witness the early release of the SWPL fixtures, a bit like getting a peep at the menu before going to the reopening of your favourite restaurant 🙂

The next day the positivity of a brand new season with the welcome addition of eager fresh hopefuls is immediately set upon with claims of weakness & an inferior League profile?

There's enough bad vibes in our world at the moment without trashing the new start to our local football season.

Yes, there have been changes forced upon South West Non League, some bring a degree of difficulty and restructure but nothing we moan about on here will change FA Policy.

Let's embrace and look forward to the season ahead, which certainly includes new boys such as Bude & Mullion... and dare I say it, the fortunes of some famous familiar clubs itching to reboot for what should be an interesting & entertaining season.

Good luck to ALL of our SWPL clubs.

Personally I can't wait for kick off 👍

39 minutes ago, Uwdi Krugg said:

It was pleasing to witness the early release of the SWPL fixtures, a bit like getting a peep at the menu before going to the reopening of your favourite restaurant 🙂

The next day the positivity of a brand new season with the welcome addition of eager fresh hopefuls is immediately set upon with claims of weakness & an inferior League profile?

There's enough bad vibes in our world at the moment without trashing the new start to our local football season.

Yes, there have been changes forced upon South West Non League, some bring a degree of difficulty and restructure but nothing we moan about on here will change FA Policy.

Let's embrace and look forward to the season ahead, which certainly includes new boys such as Bude & Mullion... and dare I say it, the fortunes of some famous familiar clubs itching to reboot for what should be an interesting & entertaining season.

Totally agree Uwdi!

Very strange bunch at times, moaning when teams dont take promotion, and then still moaning when they do. Surely having the best side in the league promoted is going to naturally dilute the league... the whole idea of promotion? 

54 minutes ago, Uwdi Krugg said:

Well said, too many doomsayers around eager to see clubs fail. 

Even though we're not in the SWPL anymore I still keep an eager eye on the results etc and no doubt there will be a few surprises in store throughout the season. I for one can't wait. 

21 hours ago, 100%cornish said:

Saw St Austell quite a bit Dave 1 week they where very good and the next awful to young a team to challenge the likes of Blazey Liskeard and Bodmin i think 

I agree with your comment here about the inconsistent St Austell side but not sure it's due to there age.  I think its more to do with experience and physicality as lot of the players must be over 25. But yes you cannot discuss league positions yet everything will change, I mean who knows really whats going on with signings anywehere

Looks like a very open league this season coming! 
St Blazey and Bodmin will be strong but remember they both have a new management team and it will take time for them to bed in.

Champions for me - Wendron- similar make up to the Falmouth team of last season , players have stuck together and they know how to win. 

Shout out also for Sticker Fc as dark horses this season. Very talented youngsters and a few experienced players coming in I think they will do well.

Bude and Mullion will both be fine btw :) 

5 hours ago, Old bloke up town said:

I agree with your comment here about the inconsistent St Austell side but not sure it's due to there age.  I think its more to do with experience and physicality as lot of the players must be over 25. But yes you cannot discuss league positions yet everything will change, I mean who knows really whats going on with signings anywehere

To be fair the St.Austell Manager has had real faith in his squad over the past two or three seasons,  however the forthcoming season will surely test his loyalty. 

The club gets an average gate of roundabout 170, but playing wise are somewhat in the doldrums, they need promotion as soon as possible. 

The league fixtures gives the impression of being somewhat threadbare without participation by the likes of Saltash, Helston and now of course Falmouth Town, there are others of course.

A couple of experienced players to go alongside the so called youngsters would not go amiss.

In football like many other walks of life if you stand still you could well go backwards. 

3 hours ago, David Bray said:

To be fair the St.Austell Manager has had real faith in his squad over the past two or three seasons,  however the forthcoming season will surely test his loyalty. 

The club gets an average gate of roundabout 170, but playing wise are somewhat in the doldrums, they need promotion as soon as possible. 

The league fixtures gives the impression of being somewhat threadbare without participation by the likes of Saltash, Helston and now of course Falmouth Town, there are others of course.

A couple of experienced players to go alongside the so called youngsters would not go amiss.

In football like many other walks of life if you stand still you could well go backwards. 

Yep do feel there will be a few of the old traditional ,historic ( call them what you will ) clubs who will be desperate to get out of this league ,threadbare is a word just doesn’t feel right . I expect the Cornish games in the western league will draw decent gates be interesting to see what the attendances are elsewhere on those days . 

On 09/06/2022 at 18:55, sportsman10 said:

Carter signed for Saltash and if Bodmin lose Dan Jennings that makes them worse then last season. 

Carter a  relatively spent force imo. Slow and immobile when I've seen him of last 12 months. Certainly an experienced front line at the Ashes next season. I would have kept Scott Crocker at the Kimberly.

25 minutes ago, Both Sides of the Tamar said:

Carter a  relatively spent force imo. Slow and immobile when I've seen him of last 12 months. Certainly an experienced front line at the Ashes next season. I would have kept Scott Crocker at the Kimberly.

Happily take Crocker if the rumours are true, but obviously nothing from either club would suggest it's just 'talk' at the moment. 

2 hours ago, Buckland Jim said:

Happily take Crocker if the rumours are true, but obviously nothing from either club would suggest it's just 'talk' at the moment. 

Fast, pacy, good out wide or as,support striker. Would happily take him at Bucks too.

2 hours ago, sportsman10 said:

Carter will still get you 20 odd goals in that standard. . Even coming off the bench. 
Famouth , helston etc would have him in their  team in a heartbeat 

Not convinced. Another 'old un' at Ashes. He was a great target man at his best, but think them days are gone, but you may be right.

7 hours ago, Both Sides of the Tamar said:

Would be an excellent addition to the Bucks squad. Scores and makes goals, up front or out wide. 

Only watched Saltash a handful of games last season but always wanted to see more game time for Scott. Looking at the stats he made 20 appearances but only actually started 8 of those and from what I witnessed always looked as if he could be very dangerous against any defence, mainly because of his pace.

Scored 5, which I suppose isn't a bad return from 20 games, but this stat made me think - what is a good goalscoring rate these days?

1 hour ago, Dave Deacon said:

Only watched Saltash a handful of games last season but always wanted to see more game time for Scott. Looking at the stats he made 20 appearances but only actually started 8 of those and from what I witnessed always looked as if he could be very dangerous against any defence, mainly because of his pace.

Scored 5, which I suppose isn't a bad return from 20 games, but this stat made me think - what is a good goalscoring rate these days?

Given a starting place and a regular run in the team, the goals / assists from Scott will be there I believe.