Buckland Athletic            1-5         Mousehole

Exmouth Town                2-2         Street

Helston Athletic               5-0         Brislington

Ilfracombe Town             1-0         Ashton & Backwell United

Millbrook                          1-0         Keynsham Town

Saltash United                 3-1         Wellington

LES PHILLIPS CUP

Shepton Mallet                3-0         Wincanton Town

Wasn’t pretty at Waterway today at times but as Dane put it, a win was a must today after midweek. Goals from Sam Hughes, Sam Davey on his home debut and Rubin Wilson

Wellington were down to 10 for a straight red (cast iron) which became 9 for a sin bin and very briefly 8 due to injury. 

Ashes MOM Sam Leary. A tower in defence today. 

1 hour ago, Footy follower said:

Helston... Combination league winners just 10 years ago having a terrible 1st season in the western league way down in......... 6th place!!!!!

Do you think that’s a good achievement considering the amount of higher level players Helston get through and the amount of money spent on Devon players?

25 minutes ago, Non League fan said:

Do you think that’s a good achievement considering the amount of higher level players Helston get through and the amount of money spent on Devon players?

Who are the higher level players? 

Yeh I think it's OK.... I do think they could do with being a bit more solid with their squad but top 6 isn't bad

5 minutes ago, silly billy said:

How much money was spent on the Devon players? 

Genuine question but are there many Cornish players that are good enough to play that standard of football? I don't know much about players and their geographic locations and I'm still relatively new to Cornish football but from what I understand Helston and Mousehole who are the county's western league teams do rely on players from that neck of the woods unless I'm mistaken which isn't unheard of. I see alot of Helston bashing on here and sometimes I do wonder if it's justified as I don't think they're a bad club at all

30 minutes ago, BrummyBarry said:

Genuine question but are there many Cornish players that are good enough to play that standard of football? I don't know much about players and their geographic locations and I'm still relatively new to Cornish football but from what I understand Helston and Mousehole who are the county's western league teams do rely on players from that neck of the woods unless I'm mistaken which isn't unheard of. I see alot of Helston bashing on here and sometimes I do wonder if it's justified as I don't think they're a bad club at all

Millbrook and Saltash also represent the county 

47 minutes ago, silly billy said:

How much money was spent on the Devon players? 

Question for you all on here how much do you genuinely think we’re all on the way you talk I should be driving a brand new 21 plate Porsche around lol honestly baffles me you think you know what we’re on 😂😂

14 minutes ago, Stu B said:

Question for you all on here how much do you genuinely think we’re all on the way you talk I should be driving a brand new 21 plate Porsche around lol honestly baffles me you think you know what we’re on 😂😂

I don't know, that's why I asked non league fan as he reckons he knows. Lol

• Dave Deacon changed the title to RESULTS - Saturday 19 March 2022

Buckland vs Mousehole was the epitome of “it’s a funny old game” today. For 55 minutes Mousehole were dreadful - couldn’t string two passes together, players arguing both with each other and with the bench, Tallan Mitchell *very* lucky still to be on the pitch thanks to some very charitable refereeing, and only the woodwork and dreadful finishing keeping the deficit to one rather than four.

Then, out of nothing, the ball breaks on the halfway line, Mark Goldsworthy chases it down, sprints towards goal and beats the keeper one on one with the coolest of heads and a Van Basten-esque finish. Just a couple of minutes later Hayden Turner floats a hit-and-hope cross into the box and one of the Buckland centre halves, under no pressure whatsoever, heads into his own net.

From that point on Mousehole did look like a team joint top of the table - two more great goals from Tallan and Hayden and a penalty also by Hayden, dominated possession, fortress-like at the back - but that was a 5-1 win that on another day could have been a 5-1 defeat. Official MOTM was Paulo Sousa who I agree had a solid game but personally would have given it to Jack Calver who dominated midfield throughout and never stopped running.

We’ll need to be a lot better at home to Exmouth next week, but onwards we march. 

47 minutes ago, The Observer__ said:

Nobody thinks you play for the love of Helston tho Stu.  

You really have no clue bud and you honestly have no clue what type of person I am or what I’m about I might have played for a few clubs but I give everything to the club that I’m playing for every single time 👌🏻👌🏻 It’s not about money it’s about who makes me feel respected and wanted simple as that 💙💙

2 minutes ago, Stu B said:

You really have no clue bud and you honestly have no clue what type of person I am or what I’m about I might have played for a few clubs but I give everything to the club that I’m playing for every single time 👌🏻👌🏻 It’s not about money it’s about who makes me feel respected and wanted simple as that 💙💙

Come on stu.  You were nowhere to be seen when Wright took your place recently. Now all is rosey again your back on here posting etc.  

You go to helston for the cash and that’s it, don’t try and kid and kidder 

6 hours ago, The Observer__ said:

Come on stu.  You were nowhere to be seen when Wright took your place recently. Now all is rosey again your back on here posting etc.  

That's strange as there must be another Stu B on here as I noticed him on here during matt wright's short and unproductive spell at Helston. 

Yes... No one's stupid enough to think he plays for free but don't you think maybe.. For a player who has mainly operated in the peninsula league.... The lure of regular western league football at a decent ground...... Probably gets picked up by coach for half the away games...... Gets to be one of the main men...... Seems to like to be a leader for younger lads. 

Similarly.. Why do players play for Mousehole...... Cos its a well run club.... Not for the money..... But again those lads don't do it for free

Players want to enjoy football regardless of an extra £50 here or there

In today's climate where just trying to live and get by sucks up all your wages, why are people getting on the backs of those that are playing for cash? £1.97 a litre of diesel. Electricity is almost doubled in price. Some of these guys have families to support so if they get offered £££'s to play, they're going to take it. And if they ask for more and get it, well done them because at this moment in time it's so hard to live. This forum needs to get over the fact that players get paid because reverting back to players getting paid every single week is boring and frankly I'm sick of seeing it. The cost of living has skyrocketed so I say well done to the club's for throwing what could be a lifeline to some players 

48 minutes ago, BrummyBarry said:

In today's climate where just trying to live and get by sucks up all your wages, why are people getting on the backs of those that are playing for cash? £1.97 a litre of diesel. Electricity is almost doubled in price. Some of these guys have families to support so if they get offered £££'s to play, they're going to take it. And if they ask for more and get it, well done them because at this moment in time it's so hard to live. This forum needs to get over the fact that players get paid because reverting back to players getting paid every single week is boring and frankly I'm sick of seeing it. The cost of living has skyrocketed so I say well done to the club's for throwing what could be a lifeline to some players 

Agree 

8 hours ago, The Observer__ said:

That’s a bit harsh to say he was nowhere to be seen. Don’t know him personally but have watched him enough times to know he gives his all for the team. Yes he moans a bit but show me a player or more importantly a striker who didn’t moan. Don’t really care what he’s paid or if he’s paid, he’s not the only one in the league or the lower leagues. Good luck to him if it’s thousands like some imply on here lol. What is really pathetic is the clubs who come on here throwing the proverbial stones about it and other topics but do exactly the same. And I’m the one who needs to grow up??  Hope Stu B remains at Helston for a long time because others could learn from his attitude. 

I didn’t moan when you were roughing me up in the u18s Bash!! Still remember some of those tackles mate! 😲😖😀. I’ve only started moaning since I’ve come on here! 😉  Agree though mate, every time I’ve seen Bowks play he puts in a shift for the team and had a great season on the whole. Hope you’re well Bash 👍

To be fair stu was the main man and scored a fair few important goals early in the season. It seem to go wrong when Massey took a step back and they decided to bring in Matt wright in Stu position. A completely wrong move in my opinion and   disrupted the  team  . (I notice Tiverton have now gone on a bit of run since he left) 

things looked like have picked up  . It can only be a good thing to have these Cornish teams battling in a higher league  next season will be even better with Falmouth there . Imagine the crowds and build up to them games  

I think next season will be a true look at how the    peninsula league will be  getting left behind.
all the eyes and focus will be on the western leagues and the players will want to be a part of it.   

43 minutes ago, sportsman10 said:

I think next season will be a true look at how the    peninsula league will be  getting left behind.
all the eyes and focus will be on the western leagues and the players will want to be a part of it.   

With true promotion and relegation in place, wasn’t it always the case that the Step 6 SWPL would be behind the Step 5 Western League?

If not - why bother with the promotion/relegation concept?

It’ll be goodbhowever when the relegation idea works better and the FA finally stop tinkering with things!

10 hours ago, The Observer__ said:

You do make me laugh 😂 enjoy the rest of your weekend I’ll be taking a dip in my infinity pool that mass brought me as my signing on gift 👍🏻👍🏻😘😘🙄🙄

1 hour ago, RAPPO said:

I didn’t moan when you were roughing me up in the u18s Bash!! Still remember some of those tackles mate! 😲😖😀. I’ve only started moaning since I’ve come on here! 😉  Agree though mate, every time I’ve seen Bowks play he puts in a shift for the team and had a great season on the whole. Hope you’re well Bash 👍

Who me rappo?? Never got close enough to you mate. All good here. Hope the family are all good. See you for a cuppa at Helston Soon bud. 

42 minutes ago, Stu B said:

You do make me laugh 😂 enjoy the rest of your weekend I’ll be taking a dip in my infinity pool that mass brought me as my signing on gift 👍🏻👍🏻😘😘🙄🙄

Think you mean the infinity pool when your on your freebie holiday stu .# Don't tell Dane .👍😁

1 hour ago, Dave Deacon said:

With true promotion and relegation in place, wasn’t it always the case that the Step 6 SWPL would be behind the Step 5 Western League?

If not - why bother with the promotion/relegation concept?

It’ll be goodbhowever when the relegation idea works better and the FA finally stop tinkering with things!

With talk on whether players would want to travel despite it being a league up in the past, the concept of players wanting to play in the western league is a good thing for our area. Helps our clubs with profession too. With the location it’s been understandable if players and clubs have not wanted to go up. As a fan it’s nice clubs do go up, until this restructure though you almost need ambitions like Truro.

I’ve enjoyed the games I’ve seen this season, there is a higher league feel to them. Hopefully it doesn’t leave the South Western league behind and helps other clubs progress. It can help other clubs compete for titles etc and join the South Western league.

Another good result for Saltash yesterday. Enjoyable 3-1 win.

Nice to see Stu posting, he seems to have been a leader down Helston this season and enjoyed the Western League. Good facilities and a thriving club it seems from afar and going earlier this season.

It’s nice to see our sides doing well. Mousehole are on a roll. Could they win the title late on.

The F troop joining and historic name town of Falmouth will be a nice addition. 

20 hours ago, GaryHocking said:

Buckland vs Mousehole was the epitome of “it’s a funny old game” today. For 55 minutes Mousehole were dreadful - couldn’t string two passes together, players arguing both with each other and with the bench, Tallan Mitchell *very* lucky still to be on the pitch thanks to some very charitable refereeing, and only the woodwork and dreadful finishing keeping the deficit to one rather than four.

Then, out of nothing, the ball breaks on the halfway line, Mark Goldsworthy chases it down, sprints towards goal and beats the keeper one on one with the coolest of heads and a Van Basten-esque finish. Just a couple of minutes later Hayden Turner floats a hit-and-hope cross into the box and one of the Buckland centre halves, under no pressure whatsoever, heads into his own net.

From that point on Mousehole did look like a team joint top of the table - two more great goals from Tallan and Hayden and a penalty also by Hayden, dominated possession, fortress-like at the back - but that was a 5-1 win that on another day could have been a 5-1 defeat. Official MOTM was Paulo Sousa who I agree had a solid game but personally would have given it to Jack Calver who dominated midfield throughout and never stopped running.

We’ll need to be a lot better at home to Exmouth next week, but onwards we march. 

I’m told Paul Froude has stepped down from his position as manager of Buckland Athletic.