Cornwall Football Forum

Management

Easy to just get rid of the management, but lots of clubs now have to allow teams to build over time. It’s not easy to get players to come to struggling sides. We at Redruth have been through a very lean period but now our younger players are starting to come good and yes we have changed our manager this season but it has all been in house.

• 4 weeks later...

Feel for a few of the Teams in this discussion.

The problem lies in the fact the old guard of Managers aren’t about anymore (Or there are certainly less around) and it lies within the youthful contingent to take over at clubs or with people that have copious amounts of time on their hands (Managing Teams is almost a 2nd job these days) and unless your Parkway or Tavistock or Teams of that nature where the management get paid, it’s always gonna be a struggle to have that quality or consistency.

Have watched several games involving the teams mentioned and all seem to be miles away from the teams they once were (Launceston never been the same since Cooper left, Goldophin never been the same since Martin left and likewise Callington since Beer left).

Hope all clubs pull through in these difficult times and get back to winning ways soon.

Don’t know who he is or what he has done in the game if I’m honest which probably doesn’t say a great deal but if he’s young, keen and has time on his hands then might be worth given the man a chance, just feel players need someone at the helm to look up to and respect and that seems to have all disappeared these days.

On 22/10/2020 at 11:17, Greygen said:

I think you are right, not many old school managers around nowadays. I think it would be interesting to see who gets the jobs at each club. Maybe even the coach at liskard might end up back at callington or trying for Launceston 

Well after watching Liskeard 3/4 times and again yesterday Lee Mann (coach) looks like the manager down there as the other two had no passion.  But if I was callington and launceston I would be going to him and asking him if he fancied it. 

17 hours ago, FootyGuru said:

Well after watching Liskeard 3/4 times and again yesterday Lee Mann (coach) looks like the manager down there as the other two had no passion.  But if I was callington and launceston I would be going to him and asking him if he fancied it. 

So...........  ur saying that Martin Hodge and Richard Woods have no passion!!!!!!

I`ve heard it all now!!!

MQx

17 hours ago, FootyGuru said:

Bit more to effective management than jumping around, waving arms and frothing at the mouth. Some of the best managers at this and professional level stood or sat impassively and barely uttered a word.  

1 hour ago, Martin McHugh said:

So...........  ur saying that Martin Hodge and Richard Woods have no passion!!!!!!

I`ve heard it all now!!!

MQx

Agree with you there MQ!

Being close neighbours ive watched many games in Lux when we don’t have a game, and I can say Woodsy and Hodgey have taken a group of talented youngsters/mates and over several seasons tweaked and improved with a very small budget. Their having a good start to this season too. There’s plenty of passion there!

If you actually were a “FootyGuru” you’d know Lee Mann has already been at Callington!!

I was standing right behind the Liskeard manager and his assitant  giving there half time talk and there was enough passion there ,hes a great manager  in charge of a great loyal set of players  .Onto management me and   Leeds United are the new management of the G  we would sort the team our , im wandering when  they will anounce the new management maybe a big Fanfare before tmmrws match  vs Penzance good luck  to him anyway

2 hours ago, Postman Pat said:

Wonder if there are a few Lady coaches who would give management a go in Cornwall, seeing as there is a shortage of men volunteering. There must be some involved in the game who would be interested. But would the clubs?

Interesting question. If a woman walked into a struggling club with the possibility of bringing in finance and sponsorship, but wanted to manage the team as part of the deal, would a committee go for it?  

1 hour ago, Way Of The Park said:

Interesting question. If a woman walked into a struggling club with the possibility of bringing in finance and sponsorship, but wanted to manage the team as part of the deal, would a committee go for it?  

There are established woman’s leagues so surely there are women who manage. I don’t know not watched them play/involved.therefore they should have experience.

Most important things for having a good team aren't the manager.... Its either

1)How much money does the club have to spend or 2)What is the quality of the local talent

Once you have one of these then a good manager/coach can either spend the money well/badly or coach the good local talent well/poorly. 

A good manager without either of the above will struggle in my opinion. 

I also agree that shouting isn't the basis on deciding if someone's passionate

I reckon Tania at the G would make a good manager shes passionate about the club gets on with the players  an di bet shes got good  knowledge of the game bet she would do a better job than most men  Dont know whythe G havnt announced who the new manager is they all know at Newquay who is its not like its a big name like Phil Laffterty its whats his name down the road