Cornwall Football Forum

Promotion Hopes? No chance.

Having watched Parkway's home games so far it is clear to see that the standard of football is a jump up in level from the peninsula league. Even the likes of Saltash would definitely struggle in this league over a full season. Players like Sam Farrant in their team would be outclassed and outmuscled. It would be like men against boys out there. Looks at Glyn Hobbs for example. He clearly couldn't handle the physicality of the western league centre backs. (Or the speed of them). - Hopefully the time he is saving from travelling he will putting to good use losing some of that belly fat. #wedon'twantyouback

Lastly, the manager's wouldn't cut the step up either as the tactics in the peninsula league are non-existent and the western league clearly has an emphasis on team unity rather than hoping a rich owner comes in to buy the league for them. 

3 minutes ago, paul pearce said:

How many games have you played so far? Given up already?

No Paul I wasn't saying it's too much of  step up for Parkway. Did you see us the other night? one word; Dominant.  I was highlighting the clear difference in level between Parkway and all the other teams left behind in the peninsula.

3 minutes ago, ParkwayPieEater said:

No Paul I wasn't saying it's too much of  step up for Parkway. Did you see us the other night? one word; Dominant.  I was highlighting the clear difference in level between Parkway and all the other teams left behind in the peninsula.

The topic title implied you didn't have a chance. Sorry for my misunderstanding

I personally think he is overrated. Especially in a better league with more intensity he would be nothing more than a dead weight who scores a few one touch finishes over throughout the season. If he wasn't too tired to stroll in to the box that is

3 minutes ago, sportsman10 said:

you dont want hobbs aback  because he put on weight ? 

bit harsh on a player who got you in that league 

45 minutes ago, ParkwayPieEater said:

Having watched Parkway's home games so far it is clear to see that the standard of football is a jump up in level from the peninsula league. Even the likes of Saltash would definitely struggle in this league over a full season. Players like Sam Farrant in their team would be outclassed and outmuscled. It would be like men against boys out there. Looks at Glyn Hobbs for example. He clearly couldn't handle the physicality of the western league centre backs. (Or the speed of them). - Hopefully the time he is saving from travelling he will putting to good use losing some of that belly fat. #wedon'twantyouback

Lastly, the manager's wouldn't cut the step up either as the tactics in the peninsula league are non-existent and the western league clearly has an emphasis on team unity rather than hoping a rich owner comes in to buy the league for them. 

Have to agree about Farrant, I think he'd be replaced if Saltash did go up. Still think Hobbs has a couple years left and is still a class act.

On the subject of the managers - do you really believe no current Peninsula manager could manage in the Western League? Look at what the Falmouth manager has achieved in recent years. Cusack at Saltash is very well respected, and Massey at Helston has previously managed in far higher leagues!!! 

I do agree with some points mentioned but you do seem a bit naive to think Parkway are certain to be going up again. Give it a few months and a few defeats and the players will be dropping back to the mickey mouse league that we all (myself included) love to follow. 

2 hours ago, Zac said:

Have to agree about Farrant, I think he'd be replaced if Saltash did go up. Still think Hobbs has a couple years left and is still a class act.

On the subject of the managers - do you really believe no current Peninsula manager could manage in the Western League? Look at what the Falmouth manager has achieved in recent years. Cusack at Saltash is very well respected, and Massey at Helston has previously managed in far higher leagues!!! 

I do agree with some points mentioned but you do seem a bit naive to think Parkway are certain to be going up again. Give it a few months and a few defeats and the players will be dropping back to the mickey mouse league that we all (myself included) love to follow. 

I have been to Parkway's home games this season. They have too much quality for it to be in doubt. Come end of the season if Parkway aren't lifting the league trophy or at least going up I would be shocked.

In relation to Hobbs, maybe his quality on the ball shouldn't be questioned but his overall contribution to the game is not enough to be viable at a higher standard. 

Don't know much about Cusack, and yes it's true Massey has higher level experience but his stint at Truro was a disaster. You can put a clown on the touchline and say they have 'higher level experience'. 

1 hour ago, SWL Veteran said:

Parkway will be fine and should do well in that league.  Management pairings compliment each other and squad is full of talent.  Glynn was a huge loss to them but Yetton and Carter not that bad a replacements!

would love to see an ambitious club go well

You r right when u say glynn hobbs was a huge loss he weighs about 20 stone and his head resembles a small planet #tub of lard

8 minutes ago, Bruegel the Elder said:

Excuse me, but didn’t Dave give you Noisy Parker’s a whole sub-forum all to yourselves this season! WELL BOG OFF AND USE IT‼️

In fairness to Parkway Pie Eater, this post clearly mentioned Peninsula clubs, players and managers in the opening message, and the problems they would face should any of them get promoted. Making these posts (which I and I'm sure many others find interesting) is of course going to draw comparisons between multiple leagues. If you have no interest in higher leagues, or no respect for local clubs with ambition then maybe you should bog off back to that stone you're living under. 

Only have to look at how many times Peninsula League Clubs dump Western League Clubs out of the Vase and other Cups.

Apart from maybe 3-4 teams who are decent and always seem to up towards the top of that league, the other teams are very much average and the League is all about location and not standard.

Glynn Hobbs would walk into any team in the Western League. If Mike Smith is scoring hatricks against teams in that league (that is no disrespect to Mike Smith) then Glynn Hobbs could easily do the same.

I am sure the pie eater is a wind up. He seems very disrespectful and his views are his own not Plymouth Parkways .

We have played 5 league games so far and 2 of the teams are just as good , if not a little better than us . So definite promotion is not set in stone .

There are several teams in the Peninsula premier div that would do more than fine from what I have seen so far.

Please do not fuel this guys fire. ( Would also like to know if this guy would tell Mr Hobbs to his face what he thinks of him ) ?

17 hours ago, ParkwayPieEater said:

PieEater, on behalf of Plymouth Parkway FC I would like to invite you to speak the our clubs Vice Chairman, Mr. Gez Baggott.

Mr. Baggott's contact number can be found in the League handbook, or if this is not available to you , you can contact me directly through this forum and I will happily put you in touch.

Alternatively Mr. Baggott will happily discuss your comments at our next home fixture.

Clearly this is a wind up account. The top 5 or 6 clubs on the swpl would all do well in the Western League. Tavistock are aiming for promotion this season which is great. Are any other clubs? Saltash have spoken about wanting to play at a higher level; have attracted more sponsors and are more media savvy. But would they take the  step up this year if given the chance? Can anyone from the club shed any light on this? They are a club that belongs at that level.

Clearly a troll on a par with Big Al, just out for a wind up. I've watched Parkway's last 2 games and can say the level isn't too dissimilar to that of SWPL. I think clubs akin to Tavistock and Saltash would cope perfectly fine in the Western League, and would probably be pushing for promotion. There are a couple teams who are at a better level than the SWPL, with Parkway being one of them. I would be very interested to see more SWPL clubs take the step up and properly challenge themselves. As a Parkway fan though, I must add this joker doesn't represent the fan base on a whole, neither the views of the club. COYY

2 hours ago, gingerninja said:

Clearly a troll on a par with Big Al, just out for a wind up. I've watched Parkway's last 2 games and can say the level isn't too dissimilar to that of SWPL. I think clubs akin to Tavistock and Saltash would cope perfectly fine in the Western League, and would probably be pushing for promotion. There are a couple teams who are at a better level than the SWPL, with Parkway being one of them. I would be very interested to see more SWPL clubs take the step up and properly challenge themselves. As a Parkway fan though, I must add this joker doesn't represent the fan base on a whole, neither the views of the club. COYY

Did I see you walking along Crownhill Road towards the fire station earlier Gingerninja

4 hours ago, RobinVanParkway said:

PieEater, on behalf of Plymouth Parkway FC I would like to invite you to speak the our clubs Vice Chairman, Mr. Gez Baggott.

Mr. Baggott's contact number can be found in the League handbook, or if this is not available to you , you can contact me directly through this forum and I will happily put you in touch.

Alternatively Mr. Baggott will happily discuss your comments at our next home fixture.

What exactly would this meeting entail? Are you expecting me to say 'Ooh hello Mr Vice Chairman, please can I have your autograph?'

And what is the problem with me having an opinion as a paying Parkway fan? It seems everyone is entitled to their opinion as long as it is the popular opinion other fans share!

4 minutes ago, ParkwayPieEater said:

What exactly would this meeting entail? Are you expecting me to say 'Ooh hello Mr Vice Chairman, please can I have your autograph?'

And what is the problem with me having an opinion as a paying Parkway fan? It seems everyone is entitled to their opinion as long as it is the popular opinion other fans share!

you could offer you thoughts on glyn hobbs as a player or if you think carter is a decent replacement or even if they serve the right food

8 hours ago, sportsman10 said:

you could offer you thoughts on glyn hobbs as a player or if you think carter is a decent replacement or even if they serve the right food

Don't think anyone can doubt Carter is a solid like for like replacement - a physical goal scorer but perhaps not the best fitness levels around. Would take the lad Annear at Falmouth over both to be honest, although maybe he is another local player with a lack of ambition - or a fear of failing in a new team.....

8 hours ago, Zac said:

Don't think anyone can doubt Carter is a solid like for like replacement - a physical goal scorer but perhaps not the best fitness levels around. Would take the lad Annear at Falmouth over both to be honest, although maybe he is another local player with a lack of ambition - or a fear of failing in a new team.....

Carter has lost quite a bit of weight and looks much fitter than before

43 minutes ago, Soccerkid said:

Or perhaps the lad Annear can’t commit to the extra traveling that parkway are undertaking this year doesn’t mean he lacks ambition 

If that's the case then why has he signed on, and played for, Tiverton? 

9 hours ago, Zac said:

have they even asked the lad Annear?

27 minutes ago, SCFC said:

have they even asked the lad Annear?

I'm not sure, I wasn't saying they had asked him. I'm sure some other managers would prefer a young, fit goal machine to an ageing out of shape goal machine. 

2 hours ago, Soccerkid said:

Or perhaps the lad Annear can’t commit to the extra traveling that parkway are undertaking this year doesn’t mean he lacks ambition 

Wasn't making any accusations, just essentially questioning why he would still be at Falmouth when he has the talent and has probably been offered the opportunity to progress to a bigger club at a higher standard for more money, whether it be Tiverton or someone else.

20 hours ago, ParkwayPieEater said:

If you are real -  join the Plymouth Parkway Supporters Club - a well organised group of supporters who have many differing views, on all sorts of matters affecting the club and share those views, at regular meetings held with the officers of the club. Step out into the open and have real discussions with like minded people.

1 hour ago, Zac said:

I'm not sure, I wasn't saying they had asked him. I'm sure some other managers would prefer a young, fit goal machine to an ageing out of shape goal machine. 

Wasn't making any accusations, just essentially questioning why he would still be at Falmouth when he has the talent and has probably been offered the opportunity to progress to a bigger club at a higher standard for more money, whether it be Tiverton or someone else.

The fact hes gone to Tiverton for a trial or whatever suggests that he has the ambition to move on up... and the fact hes back at Falmouth also probably suggests he didnt make it at that level.... would probably be worth a shot for Parkway to snap him up whilst hes still around

34 minutes ago, Home Waters said:

If you are real -  join the Plymouth Parkway Supporters Club - a well organised group of supporters who have many differing views, on all sorts of matters affecting the club and share those views, at regular meetings held with the officers of the club. Step out into the open and have real discussions with like minded people.

Nothing wrong at all with have differing opinions on players, matches, tactics or even pasties. As someone once said, everybody sees a different match. Don't hide behind a keyboard and an alias though, turn up at matches and supporters club meetings, have a conversation, disagree, argue even, but respect the other persons views and move on. Don't try and whip up unsupported controversy on forums (although, judging by the response to this thread it seems to be working).

30 minutes ago, gingerninja said:

Having had a flick through Timmy's profile he's commented a few times in the past year and all have been anti Parkway. Probably time to change the record and move on

Perhaps he is a 78, and not realising you can move onto CD'a. The forum in general is very quiet since Parkway moved on, and the Reserves has folded. No one can have a pop at them now

On 08/09/2018 at 20:18, TimmyRaa said:

Get back to your own part of this forum. No one cares.  See you in a few years when the money has run out.

If you were capable of reading correctly, you would see that a large part of this forum is based around opinions of CURRENT peninsula teams' chances if they went up. 

I'm sure people do care about these topics, otherwise this entire website would not exist. The only chance you will have of seeing Parkway in a few yeas is if you go to watch their league derbies against the likes of turo and torquay.

1 hour ago, ParkwayPieEater said:

If you were capable of reading correctly, you would see that a large part of this forum is based around opinions of CURRENT peninsula teams' chances if they went up. 

I'm sure people do care about these topics, otherwise this entire website would not exist. The only chance you will have of seeing Parkway in a few yeas is if you go to watch their league derbies against the likes of turo and torquay.

It’s not April’s fools day just yet fella,  don’t get too delusional.  

On 12/09/2018 at 12:17, THE BALD ONE said:

This guy is not a Parkway fan. Please do not rise to his winding up.

If cheering on the team for 5 games this season already doesn't make me a fan, please write me the criteria to 'being a parkway fan'.

Would it help if i also didn't have any hair or had a southern farmer accent?