Cornwall Football Forum

Rappo's 2000th Goal?

Hi All

Just thought I would sneak a post on the forum while he's out dozing on the bed! Rappo is attempting to play on Sunday for the vets. I say attempt as he's not played for months but he says his knee might just last half an hour and he's determined to get the remaining one goal for his 2000!! His OCD won't cope else! He's had quite a few people asking when it's happening so thought this was the best place to put it? Pretty sure it's 11am kick off at Wadebridge? Bit early on a Sunday morning but I'm sure he'd enjoy seeing some old friends if anyone can make it? 

Thanks

Rach x

I am sure you could find that od goal somewhere in the records Mark-any own goals that you made a challenge on and may have got the finest of last touches lol

I seem to remember an own goal at Launceston where you reckon you had the claim on.

With these rolling subs can a player come onto the pitch after a penalty has been awarded and take the spotkick?

4 hours ago, Mike Odgers said:

With these rolling subs can a player come onto the pitch after a penalty has been awarded and take the spotkick?

Yes. And go off again to a standing ovation if the man decides to!

11am Wadebridge Town Vets v Lanreath Vets. Hopefully Mr Steggles will award a penalty to Wadebridge!

Just got back from a couple days up Taunton and Clarks Village to see the good wife has stitched me up! Didn't want to say much really as I've not kicked a ball for 4 months, I'll probably only play 25 minutes at best and opponents Lanreath have only let in 8 goals in the league I think this season! So there's pretty much no guarantee I'll score the 2000th anyway!? Appreciate the good wishes though gents, even Older wiping me out for a penalty!! Saw him play a bit as a kid and not sure I would be able to get up in time for the pen though! ? Oh yeah by the way Mike, we had a penalty in the 1st half earlier in the season and I was on the bonnet of my car having a costa with the mrs after getting there late when the lads called me on to take it!! Lucky it clipped the post and went in and the keeper went the wrong way and I came back off and finished my coffee and came back on last 20 minutes and scored a header! Love that rolling sub rule mate! ?? Be nice to see anyone that's got nothing on but don't put yourself out to see a bloke that's virtually a cripple and struggling to squeeze into his Bridgers L shirt!! Can't believe we got no XLs or even better XXLs!! Vets football is good fun to watch with some great old former players but not at the expense of your Sunday morning lie in!!! ? ??⚽

Thanks Danny O, the pleasure is all mine mate! I've missed playing with the Didier Drogba of the vets league bud!  ?  Hopefully you'll have at least another hat-trick before I come on and softened them up a bit as usual mate!! ?⚽  Be nice to kick a ball again hopefully and see the lads mate ??  Still reckon you could handle yourself if you had to Older, wouldn't want to be that jelly mate!! ??

After our game with Mullion today , it was good to see the big man back in the club house, Dave Fisher talking with the players.He asked me if I could wish you Rappo all the best in getting your 2000th goal tomorrow. He said he could remember when you first started down at Truro Miners when he was manager and had to show you how to kick a ball straight,and will only take the credit for some of your goals.

So good luck Rappo from big Dave Fisher and all at Perranwell F C.

Thank you very much mate!! Great to see Dave back watching his beloved Perranwell today. Fantastic manager and bloke, yeah remember the Truro Minors days well!! Just can't believe its about 35 years ago! ?  Really nice of Fish for the good wishes and everyone at Perranwell, great club, and can I just thank everyone who has texted, phoned or tweeted in the last few days, really appreciated and means a lot. Suppose I had better get to bed!? Bit too late in life for beauty sleep but just hope the knee holds up for half an hour and I get a few chances in the morning, be a relief if and when it happens! Hopefully tomorrow!? Can go to my grave happy then!  ⚽?

Brilliant. Well done Rappo. Shame that it was not at Bickland Park at the clubhouse end. Would have been great to see you run behind the net giving "High Fives" to the F-Troop  boys and a last one to the ghost of the late, great Johnny Little. Great days, Mate. You can take it easy now. Best wishes,Charlie

So glad that I was able to witness the historic moment, at Wadebridge, today. 

The legend that is Mark "Rappo" Rapsey, slotting away goal number 2000 from the penalty spot. It's been an honour to watch him score for fun over the years and to play in the same side as him, for a couple of seasons. 

You won't meet a nicer guy in football and I'm delighted for you, mate. 

Unfortunately the pictures I took, won't upload at this time, but I'm working on it 

Thank you ever so much to everyone for all the congratulations, good wishes texts, tweets, calls etc, it's been a mental afternoon and evening!! Really humbled by it all and flattered that people would take time out of their day to do that. ? A special thanks to all my friends that turned up at the game today just to see an XXL bloke stuck In a L shirt just run on, kick one ball and come off again!! ? I honestly wouldn't have expected anyone to make the treck to Wadebridge on a Sunday morning and stand up in the rain to watch a bunch of old blokes still trying to play the game they love! It was most appreciated anyway and made it a special day I'll never forget. The 2nd goal was just a bonus and probably would have been better if that was the 2000th but I'm happy to take the pen and just get over the line and can retire a happy man now! ? A superb hat-trick once again from DannyO, and great finishes from Tony and Parky flattered us a bit and thanks to Lanreath for the congratulations. Nice to see my old Cornwall team mate and ex pro Dave McGhee playing again for them as well. Thanks to Rach for surprising me with a lovely trophy to remember the day and for Mr Football in Cornwall Dave Deacon to kindly present it. ? Thanks again everyone for a special day, I'll never forget it ⚽️? X

Rappo started his career as a 13 year old. He scored his 2000th (and 2001st) goal at the age of 49. Over a 36 year playing career, that's an average of 55.5 goals a season. I've seen a few of them. As a fan, as a team mate and as an opponent but I'm glad I saw the important 2000th. Will Rappo re-take up refereeing?! He had a spell around 2000 and was pretty good at that too...

Thanks gents, must admit it's been a ridiculous week!! I've had over 800 messages and apparently there's lots more on Facebook so the kids tell me! So maybe over a 1000!?! Just an example today It was in the Daily Mirror and Daily Express papers, I've had a mention on 2 radio shows, got told it was a world record total by a guardian statistician, a phone call from Fourfourtwo to be in the magazine in early April (too late for the next one out next week) and I've got an interview tomorrow at 3pm at St.Blazey with ITN news! To cap it all off I was invited to go on Soccer AM this Saturday!!! Unfortunately it clashes with the boys county youth national cup semi final v Durham so couldn't miss that!! I've been watching my son and most of those boys play since they were 9 years old and I didn't want to miss the game of their lives. Hoping it'll still be newsworthy next week and I still get an invite? I would like to thank Mr Dave Deacon who I know has been getting lots of calls and emails asking for photos, reports etc from the past from a lot of people this week which has took up a few hours of his time and Mr Steve Cudmore from Wadebridge Town for passing on my number to a few people that have contacted the club. Also a lot of you for all the really nice wishes and congrats etc and also some really nice write ups in the local papers which will be great to look back on when I'm getting pushed around by Rach in my wheelchair (next year!) Before I bore anyone too much a few people have asked for a breakdown of the goals (they think we're lying!?!) ? which as Bob said I've put on before a year or two ago but here it is up to date. Basically it's men's competitive football, if I included youth football and men's friendlies it would be around the 2800 mark but to be any sort of record it's only competitive league or cup football, so here are the totals and thank you once again to everyone it's been a fantastic end to a lovely career, I feel blessed and very privileged ?✌️⚽

SENIOR  =  903    SWL,  COMBO,  ECL,  FA CUP,  FA VASE, CORNWALL,

JUNIOR  =  468    MINING LEAGUE, FALMOUTH/HELSTON, TRELAWNY, DUCHY

SUNDAY  =  437   SUNDAY LEAGUE & CUPS

VETERANS  193   VETS LEAGUE & CUPS