Cornwall Football Forum

Oscar Massey’s next move?

JonColenzo

10 minutes ago, sportsman10 said:

Sounds more like he left for good in his statement.  rather than period of being excused for selection? What does that even mean ? He can’t play for anyone else  where he lives ? 

Ha you tell me! Seems to be mixed messages coming out from each party!

While he remains on Barnstaple’s players list it goes without saying he cam’t go to another Western League club! So does he return to Penzance? Who knows!

There may be some notable exceptions, but it seems that when a young player leaves a professional club, it’s very difficult them to play at a much lower level and reach a standard where professional clubs will start looking at them again. It would appear that obtaining a career/job outside of football is more important at the moment.

My bet he returns and plays for Penzance he has his mates there and would be happier there than miles of travelling up and down the Motorways . Penzance are a fine team and are going in the right direction i think next season they will be up around the top of the table . I would love to see Oscar in the red and white shirt of Newquay he would be just what they needed a centre forward because that is all they are lacking in 

17 minutes ago, Way Of The Park said:

Can think of a step 4 club, based in the far west of Cornwall, that (following the  recent departure of a high profile striker) have need of additional options in the forward positions.

he spoke to almost every club in Cornwall last summer. However it was made so difficult as he still retained the use of an agent back then.(I don’t know if he does still ) and all negotiations were with the agent and not the player himself. 

53 minutes ago, Way Of The Park said:

Can think of a step 4 club, based in the far west of Cornwall, that (following the  recent departure of a high profile striker) have need of additional options in the forward positions.

Been announced he’s got a job so can’t be them 😉🤣

But agree, think he’ll end up playing there.

Had him on loan at Tavistock last season and didn’t set the world alight (nor at Parkway either I think) but fair play to him, seems to have knuckled down and the very obvious talent that was there appears to be coming out. I know a few Barnstaple fans are gutted to have lost him.

Seen him a few times this season for Penzance and his confidence seems to have come on leaps and bounds.

3 hours ago, 100%cornish said:

My bet he returns and plays for Penzance he has his mates there and would be happier there than miles of travelling up and down the Motorways . Penzance are a fine team and are going in the right direction i think next season they will be up around the top of the table . I would love to see Oscar in the red and white shirt of Newquay he would be just what they needed a centre forward because that is all they are lacking in 

Another fantasist post from 100% 😉

4 minutes ago, Triggs60 said:

Surely Oscar will go back to Penzance and drop in and out as he chooses? If an agent is involved then surely no Western League or SW League club will entertain a conversation and potetnial associated costs.

Barnstaple took him (agent and all), and it was reported that Falmouth were very keen. Step 5, and above, clubs are always on the hunt for goalscorers.

4 minutes ago, Triggs60 said:

As they should be. You'd be wary now as on the outside it looks like the boy won't travel so rules out the potential Mousehole tip. Falmouth have gone elsewhere. Helston maybe as they have the cash and could say home games only (ridiculous I know but heard it happen before)

Think the issue could be travelling for training rather than for the matches.  To be fair, Barnstaple is a long trip from West Cornwall where presumably he is based.

On 10/12/2023 at 09:56, Dave Deacon said:

Ha you tell me! Seems to be mixed messages coming out from each party!

While he remains on Barnstaple’s players list it goes without saying he cam’t go to another Western League club! So does he return to Penzance? Who knows!

I suppose it depends whether he was contracted or not? I'd assume not due to the games he'd already played for Penzance.

18 hours ago, sportsman10 said:

Imagine an agent ringing up the manger of Penzance while he  tucking into his Sunday roast to say his player available to sign for right price 😂 honestly you think it was April 1st. Players with agents . Honestly 

Well I know of at least 4 managers other than myself that spoke to the agent.  Was a bit surreal 

4 hours ago, L.Gibbons said:

I suppose it depends whether he was contracted or not? I'd assume not due to the games he'd already played for Penzance.

Plenty of Plymouth based players used to make the journey up to Barnstaple, Bideford, Holsworthy and similar in the 70's and 80's. Roads (and cars) nothing like as good as they are. But yes, Penzance to Barnstaple is a hell of a journey.

2 hours ago, Way Of The Park said:

Plenty of Plymouth based players used to make the journey up to Barnstaple, Bideford, Holsworthy and similar in the 70's and 80's. Roads (and cars) nothing like as good as they are. But yes, Penzance to Barnstaple is a hell of a journey.

Be ok if you offered a house, BMW and a butler 🤣🤣🤣

10 hours ago, Dave Deacon said:

You have to ask why on earth then did he go there in the first place? If there was an agent did he take a percentage? If so, I think I'd get rid of him! 

If Falmouth were interested too then there is only one reason he went to Barnstaple! I think I heard someone mention that he would still train with Penzance but play for Barnstaple.

I would say it's not so much the travelling to away games, but having to make a 200 miles round journey for home games and training. Playing for Falmouth,  it's just 11 miles each way for training and home games. Also,  a few other players come from just up the road,  so a wise and common sense decision in my opinion.