St Stephen 2 v 1 Roche

St Teath 2 v 2 Wadebridge Town

St Dennis 0 torpoint 8 

Team

M westall, 

Chris B, Sam W, Zak P, Jay H

Byron R, Tom R, Josh P, 

Ed C, Chris W, Ryan E 

Subs, Will L, Adam B, Charlie B, Jacob C. 

Goals Chris W x4, Ryan E x1, Josh P x1, Jay H x1, Ed C x1. 

After a brilliant mid week win against a very strong liskeard side, this weekend was about building on top of that to gather momentum. 

With Bays away, second team manager Neil took charge of the side against a depleted st Dennis with their first team taking some players by all accounts. 

Torpoint kicked off the scoring with skipper Chris Westall, finding himself one on one with the st Dennis keeper, to cooley chip him from around 25/30 yards out. The second came shortly after with Ryan Easterbrook teasing his way through the st Dennis defence and slotting home after some nice work from josh payn (shock). The third goal was from a corner that the home side couldn’t clear, which then fell to skipper Chris westall to finish (didn’t really see it to be honest) the last goal before HT belonged to 16 year old Ed Clarke who finished neatly into the bottom corner for his first goal in a torpoint shirt. 

0-4 HT which to be quite honest should have been at least double that with wasted chances and sloppy play from us. One of those where you just need to play the right way and the score line becomes ridiculous but in truth we didn’t hit 3rd gear all game and frustrations were starting to become a problem… 

Less said about the second half the better. The sloppy play continued and the nice little moments of the first half disappeared all together. Skipper Chris Westall got his hat trick and the 5th with a pen he desperately tried to miss but the keeper thought it would be a better idea to throw it in his own net… couldn’t remember the 6th goal but josh payn was the scorer continuing his brilliant form for the club. A trademark Jay Hussey free kick was our 7th, and the 8th was skipper westalls 4th of the day. 

All said and done a convincing win and clean sheet which was the minimum ask at HT but a very disappointing second half left us asking some questions after the game. Bays back for the next game where the boys will continue to improve and hopefully reach our top level which we’ve yet to find this season just yet. 

Great set up down st Dennis and we wish them well for the rest of the season. 

13 hours ago, Byron10 said:

St Dennis 0 torpoint 8 

Team

M westall, 

Chris B, Sam W, Zak P, Jay H

Byron R, Tom R, Josh P, 

Ed C, Chris W, Ryan E 

Subs, Will L, Adam B, Charlie B, Jacob C. 

Goals Chris W x4, Ryan E x1, Josh P x1, Jay H x1, Ed C x1. 

After a brilliant mid week win against a very strong liskeard side, this weekend was about building on top of that to gather momentum. 

With Bays away, second team manager Neil took charge of the side against a depleted st Dennis with their first team taking some players by all accounts. 

Torpoint kicked off the scoring with skipper Chris Westall, finding himself one on one with the st Dennis keeper, to cooley chip him from around 25/30 yards out. The second came shortly after with Ryan Easterbrook teasing his way through the st Dennis defence and slotting home after some nice work from josh payn (shock). The third goal was from a corner that the home side couldn’t clear, which then fell to skipper Chris westall to finish (didn’t really see it to be honest) the last goal before HT belonged to 16 year old Ed Clarke who finished neatly into the bottom corner for his first goal in a torpoint shirt. 

0-4 HT which to be quite honest should have been at least double that with wasted chances and sloppy play from us. One of those where you just need to play the right way and the score line becomes ridiculous but in truth we didn’t hit 3rd gear all game and frustrations were starting to become a problem… 

Less said about the second half the better. The sloppy play continued and the nice little moments of the first half disappeared all together. Skipper Chris Westall got his hat trick and the 5th with a pen he desperately tried to miss but the keeper thought it would be a better idea to throw it in his own net… couldn’t remember the 6th goal but josh payn was the scorer continuing his brilliant form for the club. A trademark Jay Hussey free kick was our 7th, and the 8th was skipper westalls 4th of the day. 

All said and done a convincing win and clean sheet which was the minimum ask at HT but a very disappointing second half left us asking some questions after the game. Bays back for the next game where the boys will continue to improve and hopefully reach our top level which we’ve yet to find this season just yet. 

Great set up down st Dennis and we wish them well for the rest of the season. 

U guys totally out played us yesterday n fully deserved the result,good luck for Ur season guys 

1 hour ago, Darin Morse said:

I think the standard of the ECPL, and local football generally, is pretty good. I'll be generous and say those who insist things were better in their day are suffering from a poor memory.

It's a hobby which people enjoy doing no one in local football is a world beater which is why it's funny to see comments on someone else's fortunes or misfortunes on a sat night or Sunday morning made by people who spectate,if they want premier League football then I suggest they pay for a season ticket at a premier league club, we're doing our very best to keep our clubs afloat n give some lads a game on a Saturday afternoon.

1 hour ago, davegrose said:

It's a hobby which people enjoy doing no one in local football is a world beater which is why it's funny to see comments on someone else's fortunes or misfortunes on a sat night or Sunday morning made by people who spectate,if they want premier League football then I suggest they pay for a season ticket at a premier league club, we're doing our very best to keep our clubs afloat n give some lads a game on a Saturday afternoon.

Well said Dave 👍

6 hours ago, Darin Morse said:

I think the standard of the ECPL, and local football generally, is pretty good. I'll be generous and say those who insist things were better in their day are suffering from a poor memory.

Pretty good what football are you watching. The standard of football in Cornwall event at the top is poor. Totally different to 15-20 years ago. The leagues were far more competitive far bigger. 

winning 5,6,7,8 goals is not a good standard. Far from it. You of all people working with the youth and following foxhole should know better the teams foxhole have had over the years we’re top notch they would wipe the floor with the sides now. The standard has dropped since the older generation over the last 15-20 have stopped playing and the players coming through behind aren’t the same quality or have the same commitment and will to win anymore. Youngsters are taught wrong at school now being told it’s about taking part no it’s about winning it’s a mentality that young people aren’t being given anymore.

standard is not what it use to be that’s a fact.  

4 hours ago, davegrose said:

It’s people like you that’s a dying breed now. Dedicated to there club and why the clubs means to a village. It’s a worry knowing we haven’t got people coming in behind you at clubs. You’ve done a great job at st dennis over recent years. 

1 hour ago, Saturday_Social said:

Who do you play for?

He’s foxhole media man has been for years 

20 hours ago, Saturday_Social said:

Paticularly when one of the teams who scored eight loose 5 nil the game before. 

Can’t have your best team out every week mate work,kids,families 

especially having come from playing once a Saturday to 7 games in the month losing 5-0 might have just been a bad day at the office even the big boys take a hammering sometimes just look at the prem 

21 hours ago, Darin Morse said:

If you think today's standard is better than it was about 20 year ago? I suggest you get ya eyes checked out mate. 🤦‍♂️ Football is good, but the quality has definitely dropped at senior level. 

7 hours ago, Hawks91 said:

Can’t have your best team out every week mate work,kids,families 

especially having come from playing once a Saturday to 7 games in the month losing 5-0 might have just been a bad day at the office even the big boys take a hammering sometimes just look at the prem 

St Columb Major are a good side and will cause any team problems when everyone is available. Sounds like sour grapes to me 😂 

Standards has dropped for a number is reasons 

Covid kicked in affected not just football but cricket, rugby etc. work and family time is more important. 
league restructure a couple of years ago did not help. Nearly finished the ECPL. 

Personally I think the league has got stronger. Yes teams will win big or get hammered, look at Bournemouth Saturday and they are a premiership team paying players dam good money to kick a ball. 

I look forward to Saturdays game at St Columb, may even pop along to the Nanpean in midweek. 

overall, let’s knock the standard of clubs and even the running of league. If it was not for them, you and I would not be having any games to watch. 

40 minutes ago, hedgerow said:

Standards has dropped for a number is reasons 

Covid kicked in affected not just football but cricket, rugby etc. work and family time is more important. 
league restructure a couple of years ago did not help. Nearly finished the ECPL. 

Personally I think the league has got stronger. Yes teams will win big or get hammered, look at Bournemouth Saturday and they are a premiership team paying players dam good money to kick a ball. 

I look forward to Saturdays game at St Columb, may even pop along to the Nanpean in midweek. 

overall, let’s knock the standard of clubs and even the running of league. If it was not for them, you and I would not be having any games to watch. 

So you think this league is stronger now then it was ?? It had the likes of Godolphin,probus,Bude,St Dennis 1st,Torpoint 2nd old side,Bere Alston,Polperro, Tavistock, Plymouth Parkway Res with Adam Carter etc like 15 year ago ?? I don’t think so buddy. You clearly haven’t followed East Cornwall football for a long time. But you are entitled too ya opinion 👍

On 28/08/2022 at 16:14, Darin Morse said:

Virtually anyone I speak to that as been involved with local football ten/fifteen/twenty years ago, player or spectator, state's that pennisular/south west football as dropped in standard?

Why that's the case, I cannot answer if true?

Personally I haven't watched a game at that level since the days of the brilliant St Blazey(Trevor Mewton) etc?

But I did make the effort to watch my local club at foxhole the other evening and was impressed by the hosts..

I suppose it depends on what level your refering to?

In reply to your rjw87, I have been involved and followed ECPL for a number of years. Look at last season one of 4 clubs could have won the league. You also named a number of clubs that played in the league. Where are they now ? Gone up to a different level. 

People keep on about the good times, unfortunately players move on, clubs struggling to keep going or folded. 

Nobody knows the answer, let’s enjoy whilst we can 

Just now, Rjw87 said:

olds

2 hours ago, hedgerow said:

In reply to your rjw87, I have been involved and followed ECPL for a number of years. Look at last season one of 4 clubs could have won the league. You also named a number of clubs that played in the league. Where are they now ? Gone up to a different level. 

People keep on about the good times, unfortunately players move on, clubs struggling to keep going or folded. 

Nobody knows the answer, let’s enjoy whilst we can 

They all went up because they were very good sides who were all in the same league. East Cornwall is no way near as good as it was. In fact senior football isn’t, but yeah least we still have football to watch 👍

I think we all have our views about the standard of football.  Years ago everyone played.  I remember in the old P&D league which i think had 5 divisions and a large Tavistock section.  We played on dreadful pitches. The ECPL started in the early 60's and it was great going to little villages to play. We played with a heavy dubbin pasted ball had nailed in studs and heavy boots.  Over the years we lost a large number of clubs because villages lost their best players. Club stalwarts started to die off. Working practices changed so many players had to work on saturdays so reducing the numbers playing. Yes playing surfaces gradually improved.  There is also a huge loss of young players who failed to progress into senior football.  The old Devon Junior & Minor league was absolutely huge it even gad a large Tavistock section. And players moved on to senior football.  It is so easy to try and compare from when i first played senior football in the late 50's to now.  But everything has changed and it is wronģ even now to judge football played even a decade ago.  In my view the standard even of the ECPL has actually improved over the years despie the FA's decision to almost destroy the league.   We all have our views about the views and over the years our memories are deceived. Just enjoy the game as it is.  It is tottaly different now so just support and enjoy. 

Blazey loads st Dennis 0

Absolute shocker from us where as st blazey were extremely good,for a young lad Ollie swiggs took all his goals well tonight,very composed on every finish the other lads who scored took there's well too but he found a pocket of space every time n duly finished,back to the drawing board for us again fitness killed us just as much as blazeys finishing tbh can't say anymore about the game as they were better than us n it showed!!

Wish blazey had one of those veo camera things cos on the rare occasion I scored it was ruled out for off side n I had stopped my run to make sure I wasn't,bare in mind I'm 43 n was up against at most a lad probably half my age,was the only shot blazeys young n very talented keeper didn't save as well,bloody typical but here we are lol I'll add I was a good 30 yards out as well.

Good luck to blazey for the season some very good youngsters in the squad which makes me wonder how they lost by such a big margin at the wkend, baffled to say the least,well reffed by Gary Cornish n up until he disallowed my goal the lino was in my good books 🤣🤣🤣.

14 hours ago, davegrose said:

Blazey loads st Dennis 0

Absolute shocker from us where as st blazey were extremely good,for a young lad Ollie swiggs took all his goals well tonight,very composed on every finish the other lads who scored took there's well too but he found a pocket of space every time n duly finished,back to the drawing board for us again fitness killed us just as much as blazeys finishing tbh can't say anymore about the game as they were better than us n it showed!!

Wish blazey had one of those veo camera things cos on the rare occasion I scored it was ruled out for off side n I had stopped my run to make sure I wasn't,bare in mind I'm 43 n was up against at most a lad probably half my age,was the only shot blazeys young n very talented keeper didn't save as well,bloody typical but here we are lol I'll add I was a good 30 yards out as well.

Good luck to blazey for the season some very good youngsters in the squad which makes me wonder how they lost by such a big margin at the wkend, baffled to say the least,well reffed by Gary Cornish n up until he disallowed my goal the lino was in my good books 🤣🤣🤣.

Because St Columb Major are a good side 😉 😝

9 hours ago, Dave Deacon said:

Out of interest Dave - how many from last season’s side are still playing for you?

Several of them,we just seem to never have the same squad 2 games running,IV been sub centre half right back n left back in our games so far Dave,up until my cameo on the wing where I scored n it was ruled out 🤣🤣

10 hours ago, hedgerow said:

Going to be a long season for St Dennis 

We've had it for the past 5/6 seasons mate so I'm used to it,when we win we'll celebrate as if we won the world cup 

2 hours ago, davegrose said:

Several of them,we just seem to never have the same squad 2 games running,IV been sub centre half right back n left back in our games so far Dave,up until my cameo on the wing where I scored n it was ruled out 🤣🤣

We've had it for the past 5/6 seasons mate so I'm used to it,when we win we'll celebrate as if we won the world cup 

I appreciate you have been struggling hence why you ask for relegation to the ECPL. I know it easier me saying this, but keep going I have heard you have fabulous faculties etc. the very best of luck for the season 

59 minutes ago, Hawks91 said:

St columb major 3 - nanpean 1 

Cracking 3 points. Keep it going 

23 hours ago, davegrose said:

Blazey loads st Dennis 0

That strike was an absolute worldy, beating a Keeper of his height across him into the top corner, such a shame for you that it was ruled out. Seen lots of teams heads drop during a heavy score line but St Dennis kept trying and not once did I hear anyone get on each other’s backs; sign of a great dressing room during tough times. When you can write a complimentary match report offering praise on young opposition after a heavy defeat, it says a lot more about the Club than the result does. Good luck for the rest of the season. 👍

8 hours ago, D K said:

That strike was an absolute worldy, beating a Keeper of his height across him into the top corner, such a shame for you that it was ruled out. Seen lots of teams heads drop during a heavy score line but St Dennis kept trying and not once did I hear anyone get on each other’s backs; sign of a great dressing room during tough times. When you can write a complimentary match report offering praise on young opposition after a heavy defeat, it says a lot more about the Club than the result does. Good luck for the rest of the season. 👍

Cheers mate we'll get there in the end

Wednesday night, our youngsters travelled to Liskeard knowing it was going to be a tough game. With online predictions of 8-0, the lads new they’d have to work hard. 
With it being a mid week game, we had to draft in a couple of the reserve players to bolster the team. The joys of have lads with summer seasonal jobs. 
Anyhow, we set ourselves up for the game with the instructions not to give Liskeard time and to press them hard. 
It seems our game plan was working. On the 3rd corner straight after each other.  Archie crossed in the ball for Barny to head in to make it 1-0 to Loo on the 11th minute. Looe continued to frustrate Liskeard for 34 minutes, which was entertaining. With a mistake made by a poor pass from a looe player, Liskeard took a chance to get the equaliser. The home team started to find their momentum, playing comfortably at the back, moving the ball side to side, and looking to open some space to move it forward.  Not long after, they came looking and gained the advantage with their second. Looe heads went down a little, but they continued to play. A cross in from Barny from the far right to Aubrey on the back post, nearly got us another. Unfortunately, not quite the right angle to slot it in. Around the 40-minute mark and after the ref asking a couple of times, the grounds man decided to turn on the lights. 5 minutes later, Liskeard then made it 3-1 with the last kick of the half.
Halftime chat went a little like “Lads this isn’t the 8-0 stuffing some were predicting, and we haven’t gone without our chances too! We need to press the back line more and quicker. Don’t allow them time to move it around. Go out and win the second half!”
Liskeard came out very keen and had several chances but, either their shots when wide or Ryan saved them. The next goal came around the 60th minute. Barny who was moved from the forward line to right back decided to go looking from his own half. Just past the halfway line he saw a chance to lob the keeper to make it 3-2. Again, this made it very exciting and entertaining to watch the opponents voice their dismay, on and off the pitch. 
It stayed 3-2 until around the 70th minute mark, Looe kept trying to breakdown Liskeard’s play, who kept the ball well. Liskeard’s next goal started from a throw in on the right side, down into feet and links up with serval passes moving forwards towards goal. It was a great bit of play by five Liskeard players to finish it of by slotting it in the bottom right to make it 4-2. 
Looe we’re now looking tired and with all the subs used, only one was fit to rotate back on. Liskeard kept pushing and taking their chances, quite often shooting at every chance. Ryan made some spectacular saves in the last 15 minutes. Well done the old man having to collect the ball from the other side of the road, on more than one occasion. Hope they bought him a pint after? 
Liskeard’s last goal came from another error, a poor pass gave Liskeard the chance to push down the right to then cut in along the 18-yard line and shoot. 
Liskeard got the 3pts and we’re the better team, but looe gave them a game and matched them as best as they could. I’m looking forward to the return leg as the lads will surely try again. 

Team; Ryan, Jordan, Billy, Kieran, Connor, Matt, Sol, Jack ©️, Barny, Aubrey, Archie – subs; Jacob, Elliot & Adam.
Goals - both from Barny

6 hours ago, Boxy said:

Wednesday night, our youngsters travelled to Liskeard knowing it was going to be a tough game. With online predictions of 8-0, the lads new they’d have to work hard. 
With it being a mid week game, we had to draft in a couple of the reserve players to bolster the team. The joys of have lads with summer seasonal jobs. 
Anyhow, we set ourselves up for the game with the instructions not to give Liskeard time and to press them hard. 
It seems our game plan was working. On the 3rd corner straight after each other.  Archie crossed in the ball for Barny to head in to make it 1-0 to Loo on the 11th minute. Looe continued to frustrate Liskeard for 34 minutes, which was entertaining. With a mistake made by a poor pass from a looe player, Liskeard took a chance to get the equaliser. The home team started to find their momentum, playing comfortably at the back, moving the ball side to side, and looking to open some space to move it forward.  Not long after, they came looking and gained the advantage with their second. Looe heads went down a little, but they continued to play. A cross in from Barny from the far right to Aubrey on the back post, nearly got us another. Unfortunately, not quite the right angle to slot it in. Around the 40-minute mark and after the ref asking a couple of times, the grounds man decided to turn on the lights. 5 minutes later, Liskeard then made it 3-1 with the last kick of the half.
Halftime chat went a little like “Lads this isn’t the 8-0 stuffing some were predicting, and we haven’t gone without our chances too! We need to press the back line more and quicker. Don’t allow them time to move it around. Go out and win the second half!”
Liskeard came out very keen and had several chances but, either their shots when wide or Ryan saved them. The next goal came around the 60th minute. Barny who was moved from the forward line to right back decided to go looking from his own half. Just past the halfway line he saw a chance to lob the keeper to make it 3-2. Again, this made it very exciting and entertaining to watch the opponents voice their dismay, on and off the pitch. 
It stayed 3-2 until around the 70th minute mark, Looe kept trying to breakdown Liskeard’s play, who kept the ball well. Liskeard’s next goal started from a throw in on the right side, down into feet and links up with serval passes moving forwards towards goal. It was a great bit of play by five Liskeard players to finish it of by slotting it in the bottom right to make it 4-2. 
Looe we’re now looking tired and with all the subs used, only one was fit to rotate back on. Liskeard kept pushing and taking their chances, quite often shooting at every chance. Ryan made some spectacular saves in the last 15 minutes. Well done the old man having to collect the ball from the other side of the road, on more than one occasion. Hope they bought him a pint after? 
Liskeard’s last goal came from another error, a poor pass gave Liskeard the chance to push down the right to then cut in along the 18-yard line and shoot. 
Liskeard got the 3pts and we’re the better team, but looe gave them a game and matched them as best as they could. I’m looking forward to the return leg as the lads will surely try again. 

Team; Ryan, Jordan, Billy, Kieran, Connor, Matt, Sol, Jack ©️, Barny, Aubrey, Archie – subs; Jacob, Elliot & Adam.
Goals - both from Barny

It was a good game to referee between two competitive but fair teams. Best of luck to both.