Cornwall Football Forum

"Westy" in the record books

Following Falmouth's 3-0 win at Launceston this brings the consecutive League victories to 22  (5 at the end of abandoned season 2020/21 and 17 this season) to create a club record for straight league wins.

This does not include the void 6-0 result at Porthleven

The previous best was the great Richard Gray's 1973/74 team which set up 21 consecutive SWL victories.

It would be interesting to compare with Bodmin in the early seasons of the SW peninsula League and the all conquering St. Blazey at the end of the SWL era  as both clubs created great unbeaten runs 

13 minutes ago, Treff said:

Unlike some of those teams Falmouth will take promotion if they win the league and test themselves, works both ways, always easy to criticise. Appreciate it for what it is, a great achievement. 

However times have moved on and not taking promotion isn't really an option anymore!

2 hours ago, Treff said:

Unlike some of those teams Falmouth will take promotion if they win the league and test themselves, works both ways, always easy to criticise. Appreciate it for what it is, a great achievement. 

Not criticising anyone, promotion must be taken now or pay the price!

The Gray era was the toughest period in local football for abilities in all teams in the leagues.

What would that team do today? Walk the leagues right up to and including the Southern league as it sits today.

That is why that period in local football gave Falmouth the title of the most successful team ever in Cornish football. 

12 hours ago, cornish leg end said:

People so negative! It’s a cracking record for any club do. Bodmin for all the money they are paying out would love to just get a couple wins in a row! Falmouth can only beat the teams in front of them. Great standard or not. 

Absolutely it is an outstanding achievement thus far.

12 hours ago, TheolderIgetthebetterIwas said:

Not criticising anyone, promotion must be taken now or pay the price!

The Gray era was the toughest period in local football for abilities in all teams in the leagues.

What would that team do today? Walk the leagues right up to and including the Southern league as it sits today.

That is why that period in local football gave Falmouth the title of the most successful team ever in Cornish football. 

The Western League in that era was also the equivalent of step 3 football today (only the Southern Prem and Div 1 stood above it with earliest version of the  Conference/National League not coming into existence until 1979 as the Alliance Premier).

On a separate note, have the ground graders declared Bickland Park as good to go for step 5 football? Realistically, no reason to not to get any work needed started right now.

33 minutes ago, Way Of The Park said:

The Western League in that era was also the equivalent of step 3 football today (only the Southern Prem and Div 1 stood above it with earliest version of the  Conference/National League not coming into existence until 1979 as the Alliance Premier).

On a separate note, have the ground graders declared Bickland Park as good to go for step 5 football? Realistically, no reason to not to get any work needed started right now.

Good observation Ian-I know the club has strong desires for promotion and it would be tragic if a small technicality got in the way.

Although Falmouth are  in a good mid season position there are still some key games to play-Home & Away  against St.Blazey who have not yet reached their potential, Away v Bodmin who have twice scored three against Town and then the return fixture with Liskeard  who probably the next main contenders for the titlle as only ONE gets promotion from the West Division.

6 minutes ago, Mike Odgers said:

Good observation Ian-I know the club has strong desires for promotion and it would be tragic if a small technicality got in the way.

Although Falmouth are  in a good mid season position there are still some key games to play-Home & Away  against St.Blazey who have not yet reached their potential, Away v Bodmin who have twice scored three against Town and then the return fixture with Liskeard  who probably the next main contenders for the titlle as only ONE gets promotion from the West Division.

I applaud your pragmatism and humility Mike, but it would take a failure of Devon Lock proportions to prevent Town taking the West title and promotion.

7 hours ago, Mike Odgers said:

7 hours ago, Way Of The Park said:

I applaud your pragmatism and humility Mike, but it would take a failure of Devon Lock proportions to prevent Town taking the West title and promotion.

I had to look Devon Loch up as well.  Like I've said before, just take it one game at a time.  I'm trying not to get excited about future prospects, but it is getting more difficult.  Bickland Park looks superb at the moment and I would imagine the club is aware of anything that needs improving.  Looking at the Western League Premier grounds, I reckon Bickland Park holds up quite well.

2 hours ago, Town Fan said:

I had to look Devon Loch up as well.  Like I've said before, just take it one game at a time.  I'm trying not too get excited about future prospects, but it is getting more difficult.  Bickland Park looks superb at the moment and I would imagine the club is aware of anything that needs improving.  Looking at the Western League Premier grounds, I reckon Bickland Park holds up quite well.

Better than most I would say judging by what you can see on the Helston videos.

5 hours ago, Town Fan said:

I had to look Devon Loch up as well.  Like I've said before, just take it one game at a time.  I'm trying not too get excited about future prospects, but it is getting more difficult.  Bickland Park looks superb at the moment and I would imagine the club is aware of anything that needs improving.  Looking at the Western League Premier grounds, I reckon Bickland Park holds up quite well.

Needs a decent car 🚗 park.

You cant compare the current League to any previous Leagues in years gone by.

Whilst 22 wins in the league on the bounce looks great, the standard is terrible. 

Lets get real with this, Wendron, Dobwalls & Camelford all sit in the top 5 at the moment, when the likes of Bodmin, Blazey etc were in their prime, those teams were kicking around in the Trelawney/Duchy Prem. 

There are Players and Managers competing at this level that should be 4/5 leagues below this.

The Standard of local football died about 5/6 years ago.

The record has been helped by a weaker league. The test would be Western league and above as it’s a stronger standard ( exception - sorry Bridport! ) Falmouth have the foundations to do well on and off the field now. And one day a Falmouth team strengthened with Western league ability and experience could have a proper crack at my favourite - The Fa Vase! 

Credit and respect to Westy and his coaching team for the winning streak. 

Can they win every league game? Apart from Buckland they haven’t met their match yet!

Can Penryn find a miracle on Boxing Day? 

On 21/12/2021 at 01:16, teflon123 said:

You cant compare the current League to any previous Leagues in years gone by.

Whilst 22 wins in the league on the bounce looks great, the standard is terrible. 

Lets get real with this, Wendron, Dobwalls & Camelford all sit in the top 5 at the moment, when the likes of Bodmin, Blazey etc were in their prime, those teams were kicking around in the Trelawney/Duchy Prem. 

There are Players and Managers competing at this level that should be 4/5 leagues below this.

The Standard of local football died about 5/6 years 

Progression and regression, rises and falls in football are a good thing.

Look at Forest Green, Harrogate and Sutton in the Football League, while Bury, Stockport and Wrexham languish in the National League.