Cornwall Football Forum

SWPL SUSPENDED!

Can they not get the fixtures played by the teams in Cornwall? The rules state you can't travel in or out of tier three for sport. No reason why fixtures can't be rescheduled for the teams where they'd have to travel out of Cornwall? Get the games between Wendron, Penzance, Newquay etc played but don't fixture games between the Devon/Cornwall teams?

Obviously this would have been discussed between the SWPL Committee however, this will almost certainly put an end to the season?

Edit: I didn't think about the players that travel across the border to play for their teams. I still live in a world where we play for our local(ish) clubs 👀 I fully understand the SWPL's decision and agree with it wholeheartedly.

Should the other Leagues continue, there will now be an influx of senior players dropping down to get their football. Could be some interesting results ahead.

1 hour ago, Way Of The Park said:

No real surprise, was starting to slide into lockdown by default. Well done to Phil Hiscox for getting ahead of this.

Perhaps the FEW criticising the decision to postpone the various leagues could give constructive positive strategies as to how the leagues can finish. Positive and not criticising.

Mr Bunney your views please, your club and physio have accepted the transparency in the decisions.

Even if, and a it's a big if, the vaccine roll out goes to plan, then it's hard to see how the league could get going again until April/May. 

Looks to me like it would be a choice between another annulled season, or playing to a finish over the summer months in whatever format (with all the complications that would bring). 

Have to say that this has been inevitable for a few weeks now, so hopefully wiser heads than mine have been put together at league/FA level and contingencies worked out.

It is a shame but I would be surprised if the season gets finished at all. No chance players can play through the summer then straight into a new season so I guess it back to square 1 again 

4-8 weeks off football would mean at least another pre season to get any sort of match fitness back no matter how much individual fitness they do. 

Lets be positive. The pitches will recover and give us a better chance in February so long as the volunteers can get to do some work. 

Any injuries will recover so squads will be full strength. 

So let's not throw all toys out of the pram just yet. Its disappointing but not the end of the world. We're much further on than say the NWCL where some teams have played 2 league games.

4 hours ago, Philheybrookbay said:

Lets be positive. The pitches will recover and give us a better chance in February so long as the volunteers can get to do some work. 

Any injuries will recover so squads will be full strength. 

So let's not throw all toys out of the pram just yet. Its disappointing but not the end of the world. We're much further on than say the NWCL where some teams have played 2 league games.

If you think 2020 was a bad year 2021 will be worse,the vaccine will be hard to get,2022 won't be much better.

9 hours ago, hoppit said:

You may be nearer the truth than you think, jest at your peril. 

I certainly don't jest about the pandemic, but it is time we lightened up a bit and took a more positive outlook.
We are in a better position now than at any other time in the pandemic, with a vaccine that will at the very least improve the situation we find ourselves in.
Purveyors of doom and gloom do nothing to improve peoples outlook, especially those who have a problem with a downturn in their mental condition.