Cornwall Football Forum

RESULTS - Saturday 4 JANUARY 2020

53 minutes ago, Dave Deacon said:

I know some of the laws have been "re-written for clarity", I still feel the simple game has been made far too complicated!

Given the description by Reesy, would you Dave have shown the keeper a yellow? 

"our keeper took the ball marginally outside of the box. Once a keeper is outside of the box the same handball rules apply as an outfield player. It doesn’t change just because he’s a keeper.  It was clearly a misjudgment of where the edge of his box was as his feet were still within it, taking the ball in his hands just over the line. He did not stop a goal scoring opportunity as no opposition player near him and it clearly wasn’t deliberate or done to gain an advantage." 

That's handball...simple as that.

19 hours ago, Ronaldo said:

Would Alan make that decision? I don’t think he would do you ? 

I don’t think Andy has got any stick in the past so for you to come on here saying I think he got stick in this game also ....I’ve watched most games at the Well and I’ve never heard it .. maybe your comment about he had stick etc before is uncalled for as he has never ever had any grief in the past but he is a very honest guy which doesn’t always help us but he is a nice guy and he gives what he sees 

If only that were the case Dave, Dave Bartlam was spot on, you can take so much crap and it's water off a duck's back, being called a cheating c..t, f..king useless, any other collection of choice phrases by away teams, coaches, spectators, and yes even players from your own team, it does make you think why do I bloody bother, all we want to do is try and support the game we all love! We all get things wrong, it's part of being human, and yes some linos cheat, it's a regrettable fact! But if there's any player, any ref, or any other lino who has says they never made a mistake during a match, then they're a bloody liar.

Looking forward to the advert "Linesman wanted for local football side, just not too honest!"

It's all to easy to have a go at the ref/lino after the game on where they went wrong, myself inclcuded. Refs/linos make mistakes as do players, probably less than some players during a game! Players don't get abused or berated after the game for their mistakes on here!  Keep up the good work all officials. 

1 hour ago, Andys said:

If only that were the case Dave, Dave Bartlam was spot on, you can take so much crap and it's water off a duck's back, being called a cheating c..t, f..king useless, any other collection of choice phrases by away teams, coaches, spectators, and yes even players from your own team, it does make you think why do I bloody bother, all we want to do is try and support the game we all love! We all get things wrong, it's part of being human, and yes some linos cheat, it's a regrettable fact! But if there's any player, any ref, or any other lino who has says they never made a mistake during a match, then they're a bloody liar.

Looking forward to the advert "Linesman wanted for local football side, just not too honest!"

There's a referee course imminent. Get yourself on it Andy, at least then you can make a few quid whilst getting called those things (it's not really that bad) :) If you've been running the line etc, you've already got a good headstart on the course :)

20 hours ago, Reesy said:

Being not to far away from the incident, I agree with Andy in saying our keeper took the ball marginally outside of the box. Once a keeper is outside of the box the same handball rules apply as an outfield player. It doesn’t change just because he’s a keeper.  It was clearly a misjudgment of where the edge of his box was as his feet were still within it, taking the ball in his hands just over the line. He did not stop a goal scoring opportunity as no opposition player near him and it clearly wasn’t deliberate or done to gain an advantage. As such, it should of been a free kick and no yellow card. On the basis of what the ref applied ( who I thought had a good game to be fair ) every time a ball strikes a players hand they should get a yellow card which clearly isn’t right. 

What I find strange is that the goalkeeper didn’t have anyone going for the ball just a regular pick up , which was outside so not really stopping any attack , just a misjudgment which was picked up ... but the whole problem being as he was booked before which was a daft thing to do but the refs decision to give him a yellow and subsequently sent him off was in my opinion wrong . A free kick yes but that’s all .

I think ( know ) that there are some refs that wouldn’t have given him a second yellow for that . 
Such a shame really as there probably wasn’t a bad tackle in the match .

Usually at this point someone says: “If you don’t like the rules just get along to your next League A.G.M. and change them” Unfortunately the Laws of the Game are a bit different. It has to irritate the money men of the Premiership and media for a review. I believe that post VAR the offside law is to be reconsidered, although on their previous record it will doubtlessly be even more convoluted!

39 minutes ago, Ronaldo said:

What I find strange is that the goalkeeper didn’t have anyone going for the ball just a regular pick up , which was outside so not really stopping any attack , just a misjudgment which was picked up ... but the whole problem being as he was booked before which was a daft thing to do but the refs decision to give him a yellow and subsequently sent him off was in my opinion wrong . A free kick yes but that’s all .

I think ( know ) that there are some refs that wouldn’t have given him a second yellow for that . 

My god why can't you just accept what was given and move on. The fact that the yellow card is being more talked about that the abuse given to both the linesman and ref is ridiculous. 

46 minutes ago, Ronaldo said:

There was a player close by reevey was trying to get the   ball

6 hours ago, Dave Bartlam said:

There's a referee course imminent. Get yourself on it Andy, at least then you can make a few quid whilst getting called those things (it's not really that bad) :) If you've been running the line etc, you've already got a good headstart on the course :)

It’s a young man’s game Dave, at 56 it’s too late to teach an old dog new tricks!

12 hours ago, Dave Bartlam said:

I think the question is whether it was worthy of a caution or not.

I was sent off for that last year!! Apparently denied a goal scoring opportunity but in all honesty was a clumsy t*t who lost situational awareness of the line and was on the right hand side of the penalty box......attacker was nearby 🤔

1 hour ago, Pitty said:

I was sent off for that last year!! Apparently denied a goal scoring opportunity but in all honesty was a clumsy t*t who lost situational awareness of the line and was on the right hand side of the penalty box......attacker was nearby 🤔

For me, unless it's blatantly obvious that you've denied a goalscoring opportunity, I couldn't justify sending a player off. There has to have been quite a major effect where you have directly stopped the ball going into the goal or had such impact on a player that he has been unable to put the ball into the net due to your actions. That's my personal way of looking at it.

Again there's a contradictory set of circumstances around handball though..

Imagine this scenario... You're a goalkeeper taking a goal kick. You kick the ball to a team mate, that team mate then kicks it back to you... He's put a bit too much on it, it's wrong footed you and its going directly into the goal. You know you aren't allowed to handle the ball directly from a defender but the only way to stop it going into the goal is to knock it round the post with your hand. You've clearly denied a goal being scored.

What does the referee do?

👀

11 minutes ago, Dave Bartlam said:

For me, unless it's blatantly obvious that you've denied a goalscoring opportunity, I couldn't justify sending a player off. There has to have been quite a major effect where you have directly stopped the ball going into the goal or had such impact on a player that he has been unable to put the ball into the net due to your actions. That's my personal way of looking at it.

Imagine this scenario... You're a goalkeeper taking a goal kick. You kick the ball to a team mate, that team mate then kicks it back to you... He's put a bit too much on it, it's wrong footed you and its going directly into the goal. You know you aren't allowed to handle the ball directly from a defender but the only way to stop it going into the goal is to knock it round the post with your hand. You've clearly denied a goal being scored.

👀

Send the keeper off...its in the rules...lol

5 hours ago, Dave Bartlam said:

👀

Send him off.

No offence Dave you weren't at the game and you've already said you don't want to go against the refs decision which you now are. 

I'm sure there are refs out there that don't agree with you're decisions but don't put it on here. 

47 minutes ago, Ref watch said:

Send him off.

No offence Dave you weren't at the game and you've already said you don't want to go against the refs decision which you now are. 

I'm sure there are refs out there that don't agree with you're decisions but don't put it on here. 

I've done nothing of the sort. I'm talking about a completely different set of circumstances in my latest post, it has nothing to do with the match or/and incident in question. It's a different conversation.

With my response to Pitty, I am referring to a straight red card for DOGSO(H), not a yellow card handball offence like in the scenario everyone is talking about (Pitty mentions denying a GSO) 🤦‍♂️ it's completely different so let's not get confused and start trying to twist what I'm saying please. That's done and dusted now (that incident) isn't it?! 

I've put up a scenario to show how the laws can be confused and how some people can get confused when an official makes a decision which you absolutely don't expect.

The answer to the scenario...

Indirect free kick to the opposition. No yellow card. No red card.  Yep.. despite the fact he's clearly denied a goal being scored 👀

9 hours ago, Dave Bartlam said:

👀

Aha, is this a tentative return for Dave’s quiz feature we all used to love? Hmmm in this case the “answer” appears to be more opinion than law, although admittedly the Laws do allow for a degree of Referee discretion.

Ahh I do remember those little quizzes. They'd certainly get people thinking about things a little more - but at the same time, they were good educational pieces too. 

For the question I posed a moment ago, it's actually factual in law as opposed to an opinion - it's literally written in black and white (well, green and yellow) that the goalkeeper can't be sent off or cautioned for a handling infringment inside the penalty area. Certainly makes you question things considering a defender, doing the exact same thing would be sent off and a penalty awarded.