Cornwall Football Forum

RESULTS - Saturday 4 JANUARY 2020

EAST

AFC St Austell Reserves      0-2              Saltash Borough

Bude Town                            3-3              St Mawgan

Millbrook Reserves            OFF        Wadebridge Town Reserves (Wadebridge unable to raise a team)

Morwenstow                        3-2          Torpoint Athletic Reserves

Saltash United Reserves     0-1           Launceston Reserves

St Dennis Reserves              12-0          Lanreath

WEST

Helston Athletic Reserves  3-0            Redruth United

Illogan RBL                            2-1           Falmouth Town Reserves

Ludgvan                                 0-9          Hayle

Penryn Athletic                    4-0         Perranwell

St Agnes                                 1-3            Mullion

1 hour ago, Dave Deacon said:

The third away game to my knowledge that Wadebridge have been unable to raise a team!

They had 5 subs last week against us, but did suffer several injuries during the game (not by us I’ll add 😉). Shame to see them struggling, good bunch of lads and management team 

On 31/12/2019 at 19:52, Dave Deacon said:

EAST

AFC St Austell Reserves      0-2              Saltash Borough

Bude Town                            3-3              St Mawgan

Millbrook Reserves            OFF        Wadebridge Town Reserves (Wadebridge unable to raise a team)

Morwenstow                        3-2          Torpoint Athletic Reserves

Saltash United Reserves     0-1           Launceston Reserves

St Dennis Reserves              12-0          Lanreath

WEST

Helston Athletic Reserves  1-2              Redruth United

Illogan RBL                            2-1           Falmouth Town Reserves

Ludgvan                                 0-9          Hayle

Penryn Athletic                    4-0         Perranwell

St Agnes                                 1-3            Mullion

Helston won 3.0

44 minutes ago, Themanhimself said:

Penryn 4-0 perranwell 

Ryan reeve 2 

Harry Roberts 1 and 

Jake Shaw 1

Well refereed by Jon Green fantastic ref and a special honesty to the perranwell linesman today who despite the grief he was getting from his own players, done a very honest job. 

Got told I’m too honest for local football today, for me there’s what you see and give or there’s cheating, for me there’s no middle ground, time to hang up the flag methinks................

18 minutes ago, Andys said:

Got told I’m too honest for local football today, for me there’s what you see and give or there’s cheating, for me there’s no middle ground, time to hang up the flag methinks................

But it’s not easy to get someone to do it week in week out , if you’re happy with what you give there’s no problems really ! 

21 minutes ago, Andys said:

Class act today Andy. You’re right, if you didn’t give what you saw then it wouldn’t have been right. Two moments of stupidity from the GK but the handball certainly not your fault - was too far for me to see but the reaction from the lads stood near you said it all.

Would be a shame to see you give up the line after today though. Like I said, just doing your job and done it very well. Not many would have flagged against their own side but that’s the problem at this standard! 

4 minutes ago, InBrendanWeTrust said:

Class act today Andy. You’re right, if you didn’t give what you saw then it wouldn’t have been right. Two moments of stupidity from the GK but the handball certainly not your fault - was too far for me to see but the reaction from the lads stood near you said it all.

Would be a shame to see you give up the line after today though. Like I said, just doing your job and done it very well. Not many would have flagged against their own side but that’s the problem at this standard! 

Completely agree Brendan, 2 moments of madness from the keeper! Andy was class act on the line today!! Didnt like to hear a few comments thrown his way when he gave the handball outside the area, undersandbaly frustrating as it led to a 2nd yellow but you've gotta be looking at what went through the keepers head before having a pop at your own lino, for giving the correct decision. Fair play to the well though, they kept going till the end even though they played the majority of the game with 10 men. John Green 10/10 for me. 🔴🌑

I went and officiated Ludgvan and Hayle today. Enjoyable game for me personally with not a massive amount to do. Hayle just too strong for Ludgvan all across the park - hopefully Ludgvan can recruit some new players and put an end to their recent misery which is obviously having a huge effect on confidence.

I made a point of staying around after the game today to have a chat with some of the guys that work behind the scenes at Ludgvan. All of them hurting because of the struggles the club is currently facing. I really hope things can turn around for them as they're a bloody good club.

I must say that the assistants I had today were the best I've had all season. Some challenging calls and some very honest ones at that. Top stuff.

Ludgvan stalwart John Matthews (who's almost 62 might I add) was superb on the line - I couldn't believe it when he told me he's just had a knee operation. I had a good ten minute chat with him (first time I've met him), he hit the nail on the head about local grassroots football and it's struggles. He told me about the season he played 79 games.. that's the sort of pedigree and desire to play that's needed right now.

Just now, Postman Pat said:

Andys no exactly what your talking about.

Andy was a very fair linesman today. Keeper 2 moments of madness including kicking the ball half way into Falmouth over the fence (accidentally I know) best of luck to perranwell for rest of the season. No way a bottom of the league side deserve to be further up the league. 

Watched the game today at Ludgvan and despite the result it was great to watch a local game of football and to talk to the players and officials involved in putting the game on.Football is so much more than the 90 minutes that is actually played on the pitch.I remember when representing your local team really meant something to the players involved and loyalty and camaraderie were the reasons why players stayed with their local teams.Ludgvan did not deserve to lose 9-0 today.They tried to play to the best of their ability today but due to lack of numbers and the the fact they haven't played for 3-4weeks the game drifted away from them.3 nil at half time eventually became 9-0 as frustration and lack of fitness took its toll.I spoke to the referee after the game about a couple of questionable decisions that occurred during the game and had a really interesting conversation with him.Didn't realise he was Dave Bartlam from the forum.In this day and age we are fortunate to have genuine guys like him who give up their time to allow local football to continue.I have read his posts on the forum for a long time but never knew who he was.People are so quick to criticise these guys but after speaking to him after the game it was so refreshing to feel the enthusiasm that he feels for grassroots football as a referee and match coordinator.Football needs guys like this.It was good to speak with you Dave please keep it going Cornish football needs people like you more than ever.

11 minutes ago, wingman said:

Watched the game today at Ludgvan and despite the result it was great to watch a local game of football and to talk to the players and officials involved in putting the game on.Football is so much more than the 90 minutes that is actually played on the pitch.I remember when representing your local team really meant something to the players involved and loyalty and camaraderie were the reasons why players stayed with their local teams.Ludgvan did not deserve to lose 9-0 today.They tried to play to the best of their ability today but due to lack of numbers and the the fact they haven't played for 3-4weeks the game drifted away from them.3 nil at half time eventually became 9-0 as frustration and lack of fitness took its toll.I spoke to the referee after the game about a couple of questionable decisions that occurred during the game and had a really interesting conversation with him.Didn't realise he was Dave Bartlam from the forum.In this day and age we are fortunate to have genuine guys like him who give up their time to allow local football to continue.I have read his posts on the forum for a long time but never knew who he was.People are so quick to criticise these guys but after speaking to him after the game it was so refreshing to feel the enthusiasm that he feels for grassroots football as a referee and match coordinator.Football needs guys like this.It was good to speak with you Dave please keep it going Cornish football needs people like you more than ever.

Thank you very much for the kind words, they're greatly appreciated.  Thanks also for the chat after the game - I do like to hang about after matches to try and talk to people.  It was good to meet you.  I also hope that the questionable decisions you asked me about are less questionable now that I've explained the thought process (and law) backing those decisions up :) 

40 minutes ago, wingman said:

Dave Bartlam is a legend and a great reff keep it going dave m8 

4 hours ago, Andys said:

Andy top man and fair , if you do give up mate just watch , to be honest  I enjoy watching now and Chris the youngster who has replaced me does a great job for Hayle , and getting stick tell me about it lol  its people  like yourself who give up time and effort  for free to help your team out ,  hope tseee you soon either on the line or off , take up walking football mate great fun .

46 minutes ago, wingman said:

Dave Bartlam is what grass roots football is all about  gives loads of time to it on and off the pitch , if you private message him he helps with your question  , good man  , he had a very easy game today as both sides played the game  and wasnt to much  for him to do , the young number 4 for Ludgvan  was very impressive  especially  first half , and to be honest Ludgvan could have taken the lead , good to see players from both sides having a bit of banter with each other nothing nasty just Mickey taking as lots knew each other , enjoyable game and credit to Ludgvan for not giving up the goalie was class also , good set up down there really like the covered stand  and dugouts , keep up what you are doing  it will come again , thanks to all involved today 90 mins flew by .

34 minutes ago, TheolderIgetthebetterIwas said:

Seems the lino is wrong for being right and honest... no win situation and eventually no linesman! Then no football...pffft! 

Really well played to all...sad!

I remember reffing a game last season (I think) between Perranwell and Helston. Andy put in a very good performance on the line which helped me alot - he got quite a bit of stick in that game aswell.

I take stick on the line at SWPL level because I'm being paid for the privilege... The volunteers at St Piran and below don't receive such luxuries. 

One of my main points when talking to the captain's before each of my games is that the assistants are there to help me, not the team in which they represent. Any form of abuse towards them, I take as an act of abuse against me - I then act accordingly. Hopefully you raised any issues you had with your match official Andy. You shouldn't have to take it. If you do a game where the Match Official doesn't protect you adequately and/or the abuse you're getting is just too much... Put the flag on the floor and walk away (don't throw the flag though, they're expensive). Don't put up with it - we need good, honest and reliable volunteers and you shouldn't be criticized for displaying such traits.

St dennis 12 lanreath 0

Jacob Rowe 6

Mykey Davies 3 

Kieran Ralph 1

Neil white 1

Jordan pope 1

Lanreath unfortunately had a man sent off early on not sure why as I was getting a pint of carlsberg but they were already 3-0 down by then, lanreath like st Dennis have done all season were struggling for numbers but with no 1st team fixture they were able to call on some players to help out, hopefully more players will turn up for both teams as it seems to b a trend now to not bother playing or even replying to a msg these days but a wins a win and it was greatly needed,well done to both teams n good luck to lanreath for the rest of the season.

16 hours ago, wingman said:

I will echo this. Dave had a fabulous game today. Control was great, communication was great and a real gentleman off the pitch aswel. Seen you around alot and have to admit each time you have got miles better than the last. One of the top refs in the area. Must have covered every blade of grass aswel not the semi circle referee that people think cornwall has.

19 hours ago, Harry Pope said:

Completely agree Brendan, 2 moments of madness from the keeper! Andy was class act on the line today!! Didnt like to hear a few comments thrown his way when he gave the handball outside the area, undersandbaly frustrating as it led to a 2nd yellow but you've gotta be looking at what went through the keepers head before having a pop at your own lino, for giving the correct decision. Fair play to the well though, they kept going till the end even though they played the majority of the game with 10 men. John Green 10/10 for me. 🔴🌑

I’m sure you would have been so lenient towards Alan if he awarded the opposition a free kick and subsequently got your goalkeeper sent off ... for a second yellow ... No way were Penryn going in on goal so if it was outside I don’t think he should have been sent off ... Not saying the result wouldn’t be any different but 🤔

7 minutes ago, Ronaldo said:

I’m sure you would have been so lenient towards Alan if he awarded the opposition a free kick and subsequently got your goalkeeper sent off ... for a second yellow ... No way were Penryn going in on goal so if it was outside I don’t think he should have been sent off ... Not saying the result wouldn’t be any different but 🤔

Rules are rules I'm afraid. If you handball it as a keeper outside the box it's a yellow card..

I took in the Illogan v Falmouth game and wasn’t disappointed as the game had everything and a good end to end game.

Both sides looked to play football and the young illogan side after a slow start played some really good football and the lad CJ I think he’s called looks a very good prospect.

Looking forward to seeing the new stand go up as the concrete slab is all in place ready, does anyone from the club know when the new stand is coming?

30 minutes ago, Themanhimself said:

Rules are rules I'm afraid. If you handball it as a keeper outside the box it's a yellow card..

Would Alan make that decision? I don’t think he would do you ? 

7 hours ago, Dave Bartlam said:

I remember reffing a game last season (I think) between Perranwell and Helston. Andy put in a very good performance on the line which helped me alot - he got quite a bit of stick in that game aswell.

I take stick on the line at SWPL level because I'm being paid for the privilege... The volunteers at St Piran and below don't receive such luxuries. 

One of my main points when talking to the captain's before each of my games is that the assistants are there to help me, not the team in which they represent. Any form of abuse towards them, I take as an act of abuse against me - I then act accordingly. Hopefully you raised any issues you had with your match official Andy. You shouldn't have to take it. If you do a game where the Match Official doesn't protect you adequately and/or the abuse you're getting is just too much... Put the flag on the floor and walk away (don't throw the flag though, they're expensive). Don't put up with it - we need good, honest and reliable volunteers and you shouldn't be criticized for displaying such traits.

I don’t think Andy has got any stick in the past so for you to come on here saying I think he got stick in this game also ....I’ve watched most games at the Well and I’ve never heard it .. maybe your comment about he had stick etc before is uncalled for as he has never ever had any grief in the past but he is a very honest guy which doesn’t always help us but he is a nice guy and he gives what he sees 

34 minutes ago, Ronaldo said:

Would Alan make that decision? I don’t think he would do you ? 

I don’t think Andy has got any stick in the past so for you to come on here saying I think he got stick in this game also ....I’ve watched most games at the Well and I’ve never heard it .. maybe your comment about he had stick etc before is uncalled for as he has never ever had any grief in the past but he is a very honest guy which doesn’t always help us but he is a nice guy and he gives what he sees 

If it was Andy running the line in the game I'm on about, he definitely had a bit of stick from the defence. If it wasn't him, I stand corrected if it was someone else. 

1 hour ago, Mr.green said:

I will echo this. Dave had a fabulous game today. Control was great, communication was great and a real gentleman off the pitch aswel. Seen you around alot and have to admit each time you have got miles better than the last. One of the top refs in the area. Must have covered every blade of grass aswel not the semi circle referee that people think cornwall has.

I appreciate this :) Watch showed 9.3k distance covered yesterday. Just above my average. Thank you for the kind words. Please make yourself known next time you see me so I can put a face to the name/acronym :) Unless I know you already that is 👀👀😂

Alan and Andy are both very similar on the line both with complete and utter honesty and would give everything correct in a game of football and without linesman most of who I presume do not get anything for doing a thankless job that no one wants to do, we wouldn't have the game we all love on a saturday afternoon. 

48 minutes ago, Dave Bartlam said:

If it was Andy running the line in the game I'm on about, he definitely had a bit of stick from the defence. If it wasn't him, I stand corrected if it was someone else. 

I appreciate this :) Watch showed 9.3k distance covered yesterday. Just above my average. Thank you for the kind words. Please make yourself known next time you see me so I can put a face to the name/acronym :) Unless I know you already that is 👀👀😂

Its Liam. I said hello to you as you was leaving the pitch at the end. I was in Jean's and a nike hoody. We played together at Trevenson back in the mining league days. I'll say hello next time as Mr.Green and you will recognize me straight away buddy. You had an amazing game.

1 hour ago, Mr.green said:

Its Liam. I said hello to you as you was leaving the pitch at the end. I was in Jean's and a nike hoody. We played together at Trevenson back in the mining league days. I'll say hello next time as Mr.Green and you will recognize me straight away buddy. You had an amazing game.

My mind has gone absolutely blank mate, apologies. I cant even remember talking to anyone when walking off the pitch yesterday. Whoops. 

4 hours ago, bigbadbarry said:

I took in the Illogan v Falmouth game and wasn’t disappointed as the game had everything and a good end to end game.

Both sides looked to play football and the young illogan side after a slow start played some really good football and the lad CJ I think he’s called looks a very good prospect.

Looking forward to seeing the new stand go up as the concrete slab is all in place ready, does anyone from the club know when the new stand is coming?

All due to be in place..20th January..

Must mention Shaun Carters save in the game.. David Seaman esc. 

4 hours ago, Themanhimself said:

Being not to far away from the incident, I agree with Andy in saying our keeper took the ball marginally outside of the box. Once a keeper is outside of the box the same handball rules apply as an outfield player. It doesn’t change just because he’s a keeper.  It was clearly a misjudgment of where the edge of his box was as his feet were still within it, taking the ball in his hands just over the line. He did not stop a goal scoring opportunity as no opposition player near him and it clearly wasn’t deliberate or done to gain an advantage. As such, it should of been a free kick and no yellow card. On the basis of what the ref applied ( who I thought had a good game to be fair ) every time a ball strikes a players hand they should get a yellow card which clearly isn’t right. 

Having watched the Penryn v Perranwell game the right decisions were made. The goalkeeper kicked the ball through the fence. (Yellow card) he then caught the ball outside of the box (yellow card). The ref sought advice from the honest linesman. Whats done is done and it would not have had a result on the game had they had 11 men on the pitch. 

Perranwell manager was disrespectful to the ref after this decision, I understand he was unhappy with the decision but to continue throwing abuse at the ref or as he referred to him he had ' short man syndrome' in my opinion he should of been carded aswell. 

Teams wander why there aren't enough linesman and referees in Cornwall. Managers like him and people that don't actually know the laws of the game are the reason. 

3 minutes ago, Ref watch said:

Having watched the Penryn v Perranwell game the right decisions were made. The goalkeeper kicked the ball through the fence. (Yellow card) he then caught the ball outside of the box (yellow card). The ref sought advice from the honest linesman. Whats done is done and it would not have had a result on the game had they had 11 men on the pitch. 

Perranwell manager was disrespectful to the ref after this decision, I understand he was unhappy with the decision but to continue throwing abuse at the ref or as he referred to him he had ' short man syndrome' in my opinion he should of been carded aswell. 

Teams wander why there aren't enough linesman and referees in Cornwall. Managers like him and people that don't actually know the laws of the game are the reason. 

Like to see  where the ruling is written whereby it’s a mandatory yellow if a goalkeeper handles outside the box. 

Just now, Ref watch said:

Ref didn't really have a choice. Had he not already kicked the ball through the fence things might have been different 

Deserved yellow for kicking the ball away. Very harsh for the second. Sometimes people need to realise these lads just want to play football. For catching a ball a few inches out of his box whereby he didn’t effect the play he now has to pay a fine and miss a game. Should of been a free kick and that’s it. 

Already on a caution for kicking the ball away therefore it would of been a caution had he not done that. 

What do you think the refs want to do send players off? They also just want a good game. 

Did you take it up with the ref on the day? 

Shouldn't of made the mistakes should he if he didn't want a fine and miss a game.

Think you can do a better job and make the right decisions give it ago rather than being a keyboard warrior

Penryn v Perranwell good game very good reff two good club linesmen

the goalkeeper was a little unlucky when booting the ball very hard towards the fence to find a hole in fence and ball heading towards Falmouth good luck to Perranwell  to good of side to be bottom

37 minutes ago, Ref watch said:

Already on a caution for kicking the ball away therefore it would of been a caution had he not done that. 

What do you think the refs want to do send players off? They also just want a good game. 

Did you take it up with the ref on the day? 

Shouldn't of made the mistakes should he if he didn't want a fine and miss a game.

Think you can do a better job and make the right decisions give it ago rather than being a keyboard warrior

Yes I did have a chat with the ref but his mind was made up which is fine. As I’ve already said, I thought he had a good game and has done so every time we’ve had him. Just trying to point out that you are incorrect in saying it’s a mandatory yellow card when a goalkeeper handles outside the box. 

9 hours ago, THE WELL 66 said:

Could you explain the different situations, please Dave.

Of course - just be aware that I wasn't at this game, I have no opinion on what happened because with all due respect, sometimes things that happen in a game are a little bit different to how they are described on the forum. After all, it is all a matter of opinion and in these situations, the referee will make a decision on what he/she believes to be correct at the time. There's mixed opinion on this incident judging by the comments.

This is direct from the Laws of the Game following a handball scenario... It used to be that deliberate handball was cautioned each time however, the law was reworded a year or so ago. It was also re-written again this season "for clarity"

Cautions for unsporting behaviour (regarding handball)

* Handles the ball to interfere or stop a promising attack

* Handles the ball in an attempt to score a goal (whether or not the attempt is successful) or in an unsuccessful attempt to prevent a goal

Its also important to remember that a referee has the necessary authority to caution a player and/or team official for offences not covered within that Laws of the Game, where he/she feels that a caution is warranted.

In my personal opinion, if a goalkeeper has handled the ball on the edge of the box which has subsequently resulted in him/leaving the box with ball in hand or he/she has caught or made contact with the ball outside the area - 9 times out of 10, that goalkeeper is under pressure to catch a ball because if he/she wasn't, he/she would have the time to allow the ball to enter the penalty area and pick it up without such a fine margin. If that goalkeeper is under pressure, then the attackers must surely be close to play and so, this could well be seen as stopping a promising attack and/or denying an obvious goalscoring opportunity. Outside of the area, a goalkeeper would need to control the ball with a part of the body other than the hand - the likelihood of losing control of the ball is much more likely than their ability to gain positive control.

21 minutes ago, TheolderIgetthebetterIwas said:

Clear as mud...lol

Let's just leave it to the referee's and lino's. 

It's a little bit clearer this season. For example, an accidental handball where the body is not made unnaturally bigger, or in situations where the ball has impacted the hand/arm following a ricochet would not usually be punished... However (and this happened to me on Saturday), if the ball touches a players hand/arm, regardless of whether it was accidental or deliberate, if it leads to an attack or goalscoring opportunity, play is stopped and a direct free kick is awarded. 

The contradictory part on that is that the attackers are not afforded the same "right" when the ball accidently strikes a defenders hand/arm in the penalty area 👀

Whilst it's becoming easier to determine and judge what is handball and what isn't - it's becoming harder to explain/sell these decisions as the mere mortals among us who are not up to date with the current laws are often left bewildered.

29 minutes ago, Dave Bartlam said:

Whilst it's becoming easier to determine and judge what is handball and what isn't

I know some of the laws have been "re-written for clarity", I still feel the simple game has been made far too complicated!

Given the description by Reesy, would you Dave have shown the keeper a yellow? 

"our keeper took the ball marginally outside of the box. Once a keeper is outside of the box the same handball rules apply as an outfield player. It doesn’t change just because he’s a keeper.  It was clearly a misjudgment of where the edge of his box was as his feet were still within it, taking the ball in his hands just over the line. He did not stop a goal scoring opportunity as no opposition player near him and it clearly wasn’t deliberate or done to gain an advantage." 

18 minutes ago, Dave Deacon said:

I know some of the laws have been "re-written for clarity", I still feel the simple game has been made far too complicated!

Given the description by Reesy, would you Dave have shown the keeper a yellow? 

"our keeper took the ball marginally outside of the box. Once a keeper is outside of the box the same handball rules apply as an outfield player. It doesn’t change just because he’s a keeper.  It was clearly a misjudgment of where the edge of his box was as his feet were still within it, taking the ball in his hands just over the line. He did not stop a goal scoring opportunity as no opposition player near him and it clearly wasn’t deliberate or done to gain an advantage." 

The key points that Reesy makes is the last bit "he did not stop a goalscoring opportunity as no opposition player near him and it clearly wasn't deliberate or done to gain an advantage"... Based SOLELY on this sentence and his opinion (which is what this is), I don't think I would have cautioned for this offence, no. But, if this statement is a little inaccurate and the criteria met, yes I would have. 

Just bare in mind Dave, I wasn't at the game, I didn't see the incident and therefore have no idea of how it looked and the situation at the time. I don't know who the referee is and I'll certainly not undermine his decision. I'm of the opinion that this is one of those "you had to be there" moments. 

One thing that must be considered however (and this is the observer side of me talking now), it's been said that the goalkeeper had received a yellow card for delaying the restart of play (kicking the ball away)... Did he do anything else during the game? Did he commit any other infringements? Don't forget that a player can be penalised and cautioned for persistent infringement if he has committed a number of infringements during the game. 

7 minutes ago, Dave Bartlam said:

Just bare in mind Dave, I wasn't at the game, I didn't see the incident and therefore have no idea of how it looked and the situation at the time. I don't know who the referee is and I'll certainly not undermine his decision. I'm of the opinion that this is one of those "you had to be there" moments. 

Thanks. I'm sure no one from the refereeing world is going to have you pilloried for replying! 😉