Cornwall Football Forum

SWPL - Wednesday 1st November 2017

19 hours ago, Atherton LR said:

Reckon it's going to be a tough night at Saltash for the Mints.... Still, it's one of the few night games I can get to from Teignmouth, and get back by public transport. Though, it is about 1am when I actually get through my door... I couldn't do that even from Cullompton, or Witheridge. 

Saltash were missing 9 on Saturday, be surprised if they all back in 3 days...probably still be missing some

On 31/10/2017 at 17:40, Danny O said:

Like us then Leeds!! Got a few out again but least we've got a bigger squad than last year else we would be in trouble.......see you a week tomorrow ??⚽️

On 31/10/2017 at 20:19, Atherton LR said:

Anything is possible, and it would be nice to come away with something. It would make for a nice pre-train beer in the Two Bridges.... 

Saltash 2-1 Newquay, bloody freezing here at Kimberly stadium, had a free evening as walking football was postponed so thought I would take this game in...I recognise maybe 4 of the Saltash lads, where the heck are the rest!? 

Leeds they had a full squad there bud......how we didn't get anything from the game...we deserved to!! Played some really good football against a good Saltash side played them off the park at times!! Well done lads!! A rare outing up front for me this evening and I really enjoyed it! But back to centre half on Saturday another tough game away at stoke Gabriel.....?⚽️

Went to the game at Kimberley Stadium this evening.  Yes it was freezing, but thought the game was decent.  Newquay surprised me with how good a side they were.  However in the second half didn’t really have a shot despite having the better of the possession and only intact got their goal via a goalkeeping error.   as the game wore on, I thought Saltash were more likely to pick newquay off on the counter attack. In terms of the Saltash Squad i believe they had most Back although Ryan Richards was at home in bed poorly with a sickness Bug.   

Overall a fair and right result. 

49 minutes ago, Danny O said:

Leeds they had a full squad there bud......how we didn't get anything from the game...we deserved to!! Played some really good football against a good Saltash side played them off the park at times!! Well done lads!! A rare outing up front for me this evening and I really enjoyed it! But back to centre half on Saturday another tough game away at stoke Gabriel.....?⚽️

I think I must have gone to a different match!!!

"the ashes" did not have a full squad. Missing Ryan Richards, Callum Martindale and Chris Menhenick  for the majority of the game after an injury. 

As for playing "the ashes" off the park at times, not in this game.

Sorry Danny O, it looked very different from the touchline and your constant whinning seems to be contageous throughout your team.

In fact Danny O, I thought you were fortunate to last ninety minutes. Your language to the Referee was indefensible and you deserved the long walk.

Pastyman have you ever played football?? Saltash supporter no doubt!! Even there players and management team said we played well and deserved more!! And as for me not lasting 90 min's I've been sent off once since I was 16 (which is along time lol) and I was having great banter with the referee last night!! Good game of football by 2 teams trying to play the passing game!! 

It was a good game Danny, bloody freezing as well, I even wore my long johns that I usually wear to bed to underneath my Chinos to try & keep extra warm. I have to go with Pastyman in that I could see they were missing at least 3/4 regulars & sharp shooter 'Ryan Richards'. Thought Newquay played well at times, but Saltash could of scored at least 3 more goals. I did think Danny that the Newquay defence could of done with you at the back organising, seemed very quiet for a defensive line & sometimes a bit to easy for Saltash to break through them. Lovely surface as always at Kimberly :thumbsup:

1 hour ago, Danny O said:

Pastyman have you ever played football?? Saltash supporter no doubt!! Even there players and management team said we played well and deserved more!! And as for me not lasting 90 min's I've been sent off once since I was 16 (which is along time lol) and I was having great banter with the referee last night!! Good game of football by 2 teams trying to play the passing game!! 

Where was griff?

2 hours ago, Danny O said:

To answer your question, yes I have played football. What difference that makes, I don't really know. Yes, I am an "ashes" supporter, have been for over fifty years now.

You quite surprise me when you state you have been sent off once.

"Great banter" with the Referee you state. Nothing wrong with that, but why did he accept your constant use of the "F" word? Many officials would not have accepted that.

Anyway, enjoy the remainder of the season.

13 minutes ago, pastyman said:

To answer your question, yes I have played football. What difference that makes, I don't really know. Yes, I am an "ashes" supporter, have been for over fifty years now.

"Great banter" with the Referee you state. Nothing wrong with that, but why did he accept your constant use of the "F" word? Many officials would not have accepted that.

Obviously dont know much about Danny if you are surprised hes only been sent off once... You are aware he used to play further forward (as he did last night)????

Always a top player and a level headed guy everytime ive watched him.

Ive heard players use the C word whilst almost standing next to the ref and the ref turned a blind eye.... as they all do with any language!

3 hours ago, Danny O said:

Danny. No one is denying that you played well.  It was a good performance from Newquay. However you have to accept the goal you did score was only after a saltash goalkeeping error. Had that not happened it would have been a solid 2-0 performance from saltash. 

I think it was a fair result and don’t think you could have had any complaints had saltash scores more.  

For all your possession Saltash keeper didn’t really have a save to make second half.  I remember one shot. Which hit the bar. 

Pastyman is indeed a loyal supported, biased as most of us are and economical with the truth, but on this occasion I have to agree that Saltash were the better side and deserved the win. Newquay have lost 8 games, 7 by the odd goal, demonstrating the improvement from last season and with Danny & others on board the future looks a lot more hopeful.

From Phil Hiscox (SWPL Secretary) ...

SWP Premier Division : Saltash United 2 Newquay 1

A short hop into Cornwall tonight to watch Saltash United at Home for the first time this season, and watch visitors Newquay for the first time this term.

The first thing I must say is how good it was to see Newquay as a competitive and organised team, far better than in recent seasons and great to see the positive reaction to having been reprieved from relegation to the West Division last summer.

The Ashes however were the brighter team in the early stages and scored after just five minutes through Lee Phillips, and it was the veteran striker, who can count Exeter, Plymouth & Torquay amongst his former clubs, doubling the lead after half an hour.

The visiting Peppermints reduced the arrears four minutes before the break with the impressive Cameron Turner scoring direct from a free kick.

After the break both sides had chances to score, Phillips probably should have completed his hat-trick whilst Newquay came close to levelling on several occasions, notably with Tornado Bello rattling the crossbar.

Always a pleasure to visit Kimberley and see many familiar faces watching on, and tonight they were treated to a high tempo, fiesty and above all entertaining tussle.

20 minutes ago, Atherton LR said:

Saltash fans seem to be very blinkered. Newquay were the better side, but the result is what it was. Fair play, but you really weren't all that. I expected a defeat as mentioned earlier, but I expected more from Saltash.  

I am a neutral, impartial to both. I can categorically say Saltash could of scored more & were the better side. Although Newquay played well in spells, just thought a bit light defensively, would of been in my opinion certainly tighter with Danny playing back there

1 hour ago, pastyman said:

Pastyman, there are those of us who can remember you growing up, from nappies, through Junior School shorts, through the teen years and way beyond but to recall you playing any form of proper football! well, lets just say very doubtful! :yahoo: Nice chap though and always helpful in your earlier working years. 'Playing football did make me laugh though!!

12 hours ago, Danny O said:

Just want to say good luck to Saltash and  pastyman for the rest of the season......we all have our different views on the game!! And Leeds I'll see you next Wednesday! Love going back to my old club! ??⚽️

So do you know who Leeds is then Danny? 

On ‎02‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 08:28, pastyman said:

Except the season or 2 you were a Parkway fan when it wasn't going swimmingly for  "The Ashes".

22 minutes ago, secretscout said:

Except the season or 2 you were a Parkway fan when it wasn't going swimmingly for  "The Ashes".

Can always guarantee a "dig" from you secretscout. Never was, never will be a parkway fan. To be honest, I dont have explain myself on a public forum. If you have a problem, contact me privately, if you have the spine.

Managed to escape from a family visit for a few hours to watch this one. Thought Newquay lacked an out and out striker. Appeared to rely on the no 11, who I imagine was their captain, relying on him winning long balls to pass to no 10 and 7 but without any end success. They looked uncertain at the back almost afraid to attempt a tackle at times. 

Looking at the programme there were 2 for Saltash only making their 2nd appearance for the club. Were they from the reserves? Thought their strikers were hungrier and Saltash played a beter passing game than Newquay. Although the Newquay no8 can't half take a free kick.

Compliments to Saltash for promoting 2nd team players and to them for taking their chance.

One cheeky comment. The Saltash physio. Bit slow coming on. Was concerned the 3 players who required treatment would catch hypothermia before he got to them. His pace reminded me of Lee Marvin in Paint Your Wagon. The bit where he sang Wanderin' Star.