Cornwall Football Forum

RGB CORNWALL SENIOR CUP FINAL

Bodmin Town 2 v 1 Saltash United

Well done to Bodmin - nothing really between the two teams, other than Bodmin taking their chances and Saltash not. 

I thought Simmo was commanding for Bodmin, Sully's work rate, as always, very impressive and Carter up front had two 'half chances' and scored twice - fantastic spine to any team.

Saltash's left back (I think it was Callum Hall) was exceptional and for me, even on loosing side, was man of the match (I left before announced - probably given to AC for goals). 

Good game for the neutral - especially last 10 when the Ashes threw everything forward. 

Very Enjoyable Senior Cup final between 2 very good teams and Bodmin win the trophy yet again but they had to fight hard for the victory that man Carter with 2 goals the 1st 1 a miss hit shot and then he gets his 2nd he is a handful a real good player who takes so many knocks ,Saltash played really well and what a player no5 Chris Menhenick is he scored a hell of a goal on the volley then 5 mins later he nearly got his 2nd but Kyle MOORE Saltash through everything at Bodmin in search of a equaliser but being such a good team Bodmin are they soaked up all the pressure and deserved there win in the end . Met some lovely people down there and Smokie enjoyed all the attention he got . Lovely ground Helston lovely Pasty just a lovely afternoon .Man of the match by a country mile Chris MENHENICK for Saltash and Adam Carter for BODMIN well done to both teams for putting on a good advert for local football infront of i think it announced 387 crowd

Congratulations to Darren Gilbert and a quality Bodmin Town side.

Credit also to a spirited Saltash performance, they were certainly knocking on the door in those last ten minutes.

There was little to choose between these two heavyweights, they've been nip and tuck all season and this game portrayed it in full.

As a neutral, 2-1 seemed just about a fair result but it could have gone either way, there wasn't much between them in my book.

Slogging the Match Shed down to Helston was a bit of a bind, fortunately the long journey back wasn't quite as bad.

Initially I thought the choice of venue so far south was a touch mad, however, having witnessed the set up at Helston, including a first class playing surface for this time of year, I can understand the reasoning. All praise to Helston they've got a really good non league ground down at Kellaway Park, they proved first class hosts for such a prestigious event. Well done indeed. They also made a big effort to include the younger generation, never seen so many ball boys (all remarkably polite) and some great half time fun with the little kids matches.

You'll read plenty of well detailed match reports about the big game I'm sure, however, if you have trouble sleeping or get incredibly bored at work I shall be putting a Cup Final visit report on my 'Where's The Tea Hut' site over the next few days (when I get the chance). It'll include a few snaps of the proceedings as well.

Thanks to Helston AFC for a great setting and both Bodmin Town and Saltash United for a spirited Cup Final.

An enjoyable afternoons football.

A real shame that both clubs couldn't have brought more travelling fans with them - I know it's West Cornwall but embrace it and make it a day to remember! For a team that's had so much recent success, Bodmin really have no fan base at all - indeed when they scored (both times) barely a murmur was heard around the ground!

To the game itself, Saltash will rue the chances that were not taken and in my opinion could've and should've won comfortably on chances created. Hats off to Bodmin though, they certainly know how to get over the line and scrap out a win. Neither side seemed to want to utilise the width of the pitch and it turned into a scrappy affair but as the game pushed into the latter stages the Saltash LB came into the game and provided most of the attacking options for the Ashes (including a great goal). Bodmin seemed content to berate the Ref at every opportunity (indeed a stronger Referee would've sent off Carter for shouting at him to F##k Off from 30 yards away towards the grandstand but he was too weak to even caution him) and every time the ball went into the Bodmin half their Goalie would shout  'Lino!' - very poor! However, Carter certainly knows where the net is and ultimately he was the difference between the 2 teams.

Overall, a game lacking in pure quality but won ultimately by the side that knows how to win. Saltash have a great young Gaffer in Cusack and he should be congratulated on his philosophy on how to play the game. Bodmin win (again!) and should be applauded on another success. On a separate note, Simmonds is an absolute credit to local football and he for me, although not the best player on the day, certainly the best footballer on the pitch, unsung hero and well done!

Don't worry 'Bagman' its a day all associated with Bodmin Town will not forget in a hurry! Great performance, Saltash played well also, & hard luck to them but what a great day for Bodmin. Another piece of silverware for the cabinet & a lot of pressure off as now in respect to ending the season without a trophy. Next is our quest to try & catch Tavistock, however with the amount of games we have to play & have already played in a short space of time we know its going to be very very difficult task. But winning the Cornwall Senior Cup goes a long way to a successful season. Thank you to Helston FC for a great afternoon

I made the trip down with a few other old chaps yesterday to make a day of it.  Firstly, what a set up Helston have created down there!  The pitch looked fantastic, the surroundings are brilliant and the clubhouse is great.  I would argue that Helston have the best set up in the south western league. Well done to all involved.

The game itself was a typical cup final, cagey but flashes of great football.  What shocked me and no doubt a few others was the Saltash stared the game without Sam Farrent, who for me (in the 10 or so games i have seen) has been one of their best players this season (obviously Ryan Richards goal scoring antics cannot be ignored). To see him on the bench wouldve been a happy sight for Bodmin.  Nonetheless, the side was still good enough to give Bodmin a good game, which they did, and for the last 10 minutes it looked like the game would be going to extra time as a Saltahs equaliser looked a matter of when and not if, but it wasn't to be.  Hard lines for Saltash, but theycan be proud of what they have achieved this season and well done to Bodmin who add et another trophy to their cabinet.

A throughly enjoyable day apart from the travelling, a good game to watch, a fantastic pasty and a really pleasant surprise to discover what Heston have created, so well done to all involved!

Ryan Richards had just as well of been on the bench he had 1 shot all afternoon and Simmonds was outstanding as usual , when Saltash brought on there subs Farrant ,Edwards and Stevens they really went for it and where unlucky not to equalise .Just as well le Bodmin keep the Senior Cup they keep winning it like Newquay of old did with the Charity Cup Lots of people criticise Darren Gilbert he does give the officials some stick but he is a hell of a good manager and so is his assitant Terry Huddy  Bodmin for the title the match with Tavi should be a hell of a game good be worth a trip to Bodmin againto watch that 1

I have been watching Adam Carter play for years and i think hes a brilliant footballer havnt seen so much of Hobbs he is a good player and its proof with 40 odd goals but i think Carter is more of a team  player and he showed that in the final yesterday helping out in defence a lot .So no i dont need to go to Specsavers ADAM CARTER IS A BETTER PLAYER THAN GLYNN HOBBS

7 hours ago, 100%cornish said:

Ryan Richards had just as well of been on the bench he had 1 shot all afternoon and Simmonds was outstanding as usual , when Saltash brought on there subs Farrant ,Edwards and Stevens they really went for it and where unlucky not to equalise .Just as well le Bodmin keep the Senior Cup they keep winning it like Newquay of old did with the Charity Cup Lots of people criticise Darren Gilbert he does give the officials some stick but he is a hell of a good manager and so is his assitant Terry Huddy  Bodmin for the title the match with Tavi should be a hell of a game good be worth a trip to Bodmin againto watch that 1

Your right about that duo of Gilbert & Huddy, good looking couple of blokes as well ain't they 100%Cornish, I believe they were both models in their younger days, swimwear I believe... 

5 minutes ago, leedsunited said:

Your right about that duo of Gilbert & Huddy, good looking couple of blokes as well ain't they 100%Cornish, I believe they were both models in their younger days, swimwear I believe... 

Perhaps you could tell us how you coached the ex-pro Kevin Miller whilst he was there Leeds? Must of been kicking all those balls at him in the warm up and half time  ?

Was great to make my first Senior Cup final involving Saltash, when it was announced that it was at Helston - I always saw it more as a day out to look forward to.

Feeling first I wouldn't be able shout (lacking confidence if more enclosed around people), I ventured to the other side of the pitch so I could shout support - it may/ may not make a difference but felt I was duty bound for such a big game as a cup final. Second half watched around fellow fans in the "more enclosed," area and still shouted though.

As an Ashes fan, was proud of the effort the team put in - it just wasn't to be our day with one or chances that surely would have gone in another day. As Bodmin celebrated, I felt I had to go and clap the effort the boys had put in..

Well done to Bodmin on the win.

Left Helston football in defeat then but good to visit for the first time as the rolling green hills of Cornwall accompanied us home.

Yes Leeds Gilbert and Huddy real lookers heard they both gave Brad Pitt a run for there money in the looks stake but sadly they lost and have been compared to the Mitchell brothers from Eastenders instead .Done a bloody good job at Bodmin though also Rocket Robin i saw Hobbs play for Bodmin didnt think much of him then but he has done brilliant at Tavi but will he be there next season i think not still stick to my choice of Adam Carter i think hes very underated hes good in the air and is good with both feet just think Carter is more of a team player

40 minutes ago, 100%cornish said:

Yes Leeds Gilbert and Huddy real lookers heard they both gave Brad Pitt a run for there money in the looks stake but sadly they lost and have been compared to the Mitchell brothers from Eastenders instead .Done a bloody good job at Bodmin though also Rocket Robin i saw Hobbs play for Bodmin didnt think much of him then but he has done brilliant at Tavi but will he be there next season i think not still stick to my choice of Adam Carter i think hes very underated hes good in the air and is good with both feet just think Carter is more of a team player

Heard in the two trees on Saturday that Hobbs and Carter will both be at parkway next season .Done deal !

No doubt would have been a few more at Helston if those other Cornish sides never had matches.

Straying from the subject a bit but feel sorry for Exmouth. Their run in the vase and in the league cup appears to have scuppered their promotion ambition.

Any thoughts about the format of this seasons CSC. Is everyone in the hat from round 1 good or should the 1st round be contested by the lower league teams ?