Cornwall Football Forum

The state of Cornish football....Fal 1 v 7 St Blazey

A massive win for St Blazey tonight. Quite frankly it could have been closer to 20. So one sided and the wood work hit 4 times and their keeper making some great saves with some wayward finishing in the first half kept the score down.

Maybe a little revenge for last seasons drubbing but on reflection leaving Bickland tonight, we havnt seen a decent game of football. This isnt the score lines you want to see at this level.

Tonight was also quite sad in a way entering Bickland Park. In over 17 years of following St Blazey ive seen Bickland Park fade away. Tonight the rot has took hold and only serious money will sort that place out. Two stands are due to fall down any minute and the man stand is covered in bird shit and the whole place looks to be left to rot. Im not knocking the ones who probably give so much but the ground is massive and still has the feel of great non league ground but who will turn this once great club around? Its to much for even a handfull of people to look after.

When I first went to these fixtures a mid week match would generate a great atmosphere as well. Always a fixture to look forward to. But tonight a crowd of no more than 60/70 and only 7 travelling fans!! 7!!!! Where is our support gone??? I used to think when we took less than 25 anywhere it was poor. But 7!!! St Blazeys last home game attracted only 37 paying fans. An all time low. The crowds never used to drop below 100. Is this down to interest for the league set up or just non league football in general? Something is stopping people coming out to watch their local sides.

Worrying times for clubs. Lack of support, and the number of clubs struggling with advertising. St Blazey are no better than Falmouth. Tonight there was not a single board on the far side of the ground. All taken down. A sign that spare cash isnt going into local football thats for sure. Money man....your knowledge could be well used in gaining sponsorship im sure.

Lets hope in 15 years time were not talking about Cornish football and what used to be, because tonight seemed like it was almost heading that way.

Looked out for you tonight Mike. Hope your well. Be sad for you to give up on Falmouth completly.

Finally well done to Bobby and the lads on a good win. A good couple wins after a disapointing few defeats. Still a top 6 finish is on. Full credit to them.

I didnt make it tonight Paul-dont like night driving as cataracts are kicking in.

Watched the twitter board and Champions league with a mug of Cocoa

the twitter comments said Falmouth were woeful/Sunday morning Pub football defending-Embarrassingly easy for St.Blazey

But then Blazey were there last season and have kept the faith.

Very interesting comments on your behalf (must be careful what I say)but cannot see any immediate improvements on the horizon.

I have Some great memories from the past which are being devalued in time.

Evening Mike. Glad your well. :thumbsup:

Yes we were certainly there last season. Weve come through it and the players have stuck together. Full credit to them. Without them and Bobby we could be in real trouble. Theyve worked hard for the club. And so have many behind the scenes. Its gona take time to see the good times return. But its more important than anything that the club keep their heads above water.

Keep the faith Mike.

Im off to Burton Albion on saturday. 3 points and that could be enough to see Argyle stay in the football league.

Its been hard watching my clubs for a several seasons. But when you get home from Southend on a tuesday night at 4am and youve won 2-0.......its a good feeling. :drink:

The new season isnt far away..........

Maybe it is time for Cornish clubs in the Senior Leagues to follow the example set by my club this season and stop paying. Then it will level the playing field out for everyone.

This might mean clubs will attract players by facilities, loyalty to their local area, atmosphere within the club, good management/coaching, etc not with a brown envelope.

Players will play more likely for their local team if there is no petrol money to travel miles to training, etc.

Clubs will then only pay proper travelling expenses to players for matches.

Money that would have otherwise have been spent on players would be spent on the grounds or servicing debts.

Granted my team has suffered by not paying but it was a step we took as we will not run up a debt and pay players.

In the long run it is the only way but have club committees the strength to follow the example of my team and stop paying.

I watched a lot of SWL football between about 1973 and 1993 and really enjoyed it. The majority of players back then played with a smile on their face, (Dave Street for example), and there were always some funny remarks between the players and the referees. The managers and others in the dugouts were better behaved. Nowadays the players don't seem to really enjoy playing and are mouthy and aggressive over the smallest things. The behaviour of the managers and others around the dugouts is often appalling. The hardcore fans are not as well behaved nowadays either. Did others read the letter in this weeks 'Indy' criticising the behaviour of fans at the Cornwall Senior Cup Final? Why should others care about the game if those most close to it don't?

A massive win for St Blazey tonight. Quite frankly it could have been closer to 20. So one sided and the wood work hit 4 times and their keeper making some great saves with some wayward finishing in the first half kept the score down.

Maybe a little revenge for last seasons drubbing but on reflection leaving Bickland tonight, we havnt seen a decent game of football. This isnt the score lines you want to see at this level.

Tonight was also quite sad in a way entering Bickland Park. In over 17 years of following St Blazey ive seen Bickland Park fade away. Tonight the rot has took hold and only serious money will sort that place out. Two stands are due to fall down any minute and the man stand is covered in bird shit and the whole place looks to be left to rot. Im not knocking the ones who probably give so much but the ground is massive and still has the feel of great non league ground but who will turn this once great club around? Its to much for even a handfull of people to look after.

When I first went to these fixtures a mid week match would generate a great atmosphere as well. Always a fixture to look forward to. But tonight a crowd of no more than 60/70 and only 7 travelling fans!! 7!!!! Where is our support gone??? I used to think when we took less than 25 anywhere it was poor. But 7!!! St Blazeys last home game attracted only 37 paying fans. An all time low. The crowds never used to drop below 100. Is this down to interest for the league set up or just non league football in general? Something is stopping people coming out to watch their local sides.

Worrying times for clubs. Lack of support, and the number of clubs struggling with advertising. St Blazey are no better than Falmouth. Tonight there was not a single board on the far side of the ground. All taken down. A sign that spare cash isnt going into local football thats for sure. Money man....your knowledge could be well used in gaining sponsorship im sure.

Lets hope in 15 years time were not talking about Cornish football and what used to be, because tonight seemed like it was almost heading that way.

Looked out for you tonight Mike. Hope your well. Be sad for you to give up on Falmouth completly.

Finally well done to Bobby and the lads on a good win. A good couple wins after a disapointing few defeats. Still a top 6 finish is on. Full credit to them.

Yes Paul A lot needs to be done to Bickland park& it is going to take a lot of Money to put it right, & as you Know Falmouth at the Moment are working hard to keep their heads above water, But I am confident that things will get better, but it is going to take a long time, as for the advertising boards they were put on the Car Park wall at the request of some of the advertisers who felt that people should be able to see them at any time & not just when there is a match on,

Hammers

Paul, with all due respect, if you had read last night's programme, you would have read in Mr Kimberley's notes that the ground is going to get a huge uplift in the close season. The pitch is going to be relaid using some new system, which according to the contractors will make the surface the envy of everyone in the SW. Les and myself are hoping to get a band of workers down there to sort out the remedial repairs in around the ground. You will see a much better & brighter Bickland Park next season, I can promise you.

As for last nights game, I can only apologise for a terrible performance, especially after our much better performances of late. However, since Monday evening 4 players pulled out through various genuine reasons, that coupled with Tom Whipp being away on holiday left us very light in our midfield. St Blazey are a good side & I was very impressed with them. Bob has done a very good job, seeing as they were in a similar position to the one we find ourselves in at this moment. However, as with the ground, we will be working on an overhaul of the squad during the summer as well. I don't feel there are mass changes to be made, as if we were at full strength you would've had a much tougher game than you got last night, but we are aware of where we need to strengthen. As I have stated on here before, we can't & won't bring in players that command big bucks, but we are sure that we can add to the quality local lads we already have at the club. We also have a policy now, whereby we want fairly local players. This has two main purposes, and they are, a team of talented local players form a bond & affection for each other, and the club. You only have to look at the achievements of some of the clubs around that have adopted this policy. This isn't new to Les & myself either, we have done this before, jointly at Truro, and individually at Penzance and Newquay. It also gives the club some continuity, as they can just carry on if we were to leave. If you import a manager & group of players, you risk ending up losing the whole lot, as many many clubs have found out over the years, and many more seem to keep going down that road to this day. Our project here at Falmouth will take a bit of time, and like last night there will be a few wobbles, but I can assure you all that Les & myself will do everything we can, along with a number of hardworking people already within the club who are determined to make Falmouth Town Football Club great once again.

Paul, with all due respect, if you had read last night's programme, you would have read in Mr Kimberley's notes that the ground is going to get a huge uplift in the close season. The pitch is going to be relaid using some new system, which according to the contractors will make the surface the envy of everyone in the SW. Les and myself are hoping to get a band of workers down there to sort out the remedial repairs in around the ground. You will see a much better & brighter Bickland Park next season, I can promise you.

As for last nights game, I can only apologise for a terrible performance, especially after our much better performances of late. However, since Monday evening 4 players pulled out through various genuine reasons, that coupled with Tom Whipp being away on holiday left us very light in our midfield. St Blazey are a good side & I was very impressed with them. Bob has done a very good job, seeing as they were in a similar position to the one we find ourselves in at this moment. However, as with the ground, we will be working on an overhaul of the squad during the summer as well. I don't feel there are mass changes to be made, as if we were at full strength you would've had a much tougher game than you got last night, but we are aware of where we need to strengthen. As I have stated on here before, we can't & won't bring in players that command big bucks, but we are sure that we can add to the quality local lads we already have at the club. We also have a policy now, whereby we want fairly local players. This has two main purposes, and they are, a team of talented local players form a bond & affection for each other, and the club. You only have to look at the achievements of some of the clubs around that have adopted this policy. This isn't new to Les & myself either, we have done this before, jointly at Truro, and individually at Penzance and Newquay. It also gives the club some continuity, as they can just carry on if we were to leave. If you import a manager & group of players, you risk ending up losing the whole lot, as many many clubs have found out over the years, and many more seem to keep going down that road to this day. Our project here at Falmouth will take a bit of time, and like last night there will be a few wobbles, but I can assure you all that Les & myself will do everything we can, along with a number of hardworking people already within the club who are determined to make Falmouth Town Football Club great once again.

I'm sure I speak for all fair minded followers of football in Cornwall when I wish Falmouth Town well in their efforts to regain some of their former glory. It really is a struggle for most clubs to keep going and particularly galling amidst the baying for mega-millions to be spent on a mis-named Stadium for Cornwall.

This is a personal view and not intended to represent any club.

The decision as to weather Falmouth survive may not be their decision. The banks, tax man, VAT man etc may well make that decision.

As to a completely new surface - wow!!! do you know what those things cost.

I do wish you all well at Bickland, there's a lot of work to be done for sure, as there is at most clubs.

Local football today is in the main sh-te. To much football on the TV has a lot to answer for.

Some very interesting points put up here...the bottom line is money will always be paid out, i reckon every club in the league pays some sort of expense, apart from maybe the bottom team. But that doesnt automatically mean success, although at this level there is no real excuse. If you have a big budet and we all know the clubs that have the healthier financial clout why are they not in the top two or three?? Its because as goldeneye has already stated `clubs overspend on average players`. They only have themselves to blame when it goes wrong, usually the culprits walk away and the club has to pick up pieces, we have seen it at bodmin, porthleven, falmouth, penzance, st.austell, ....who is next!!? Didnt Blazey beat falmouth at the begining of the season aswell when they had their full allstars 5-1 at blaise park?! Bet that defeat cost them alot more financially than last nights score!?

that letter in the independent criticising the behaviour of the fans was a joke and way over the top. the helston fans were not badly behaved just sang a few songs as banter. you hear far worse at any football ground from the premiership way down to local football. Now there's a club who enjoyed their day out from the supporters to the players.....and brown envelopes not being waved around there...local boys playing for their hometown club. Good luck to Penzance and hats off for taking the stand not to play their players. ..maybe in a year or two you will create the same atmosphere that has been created at Helston

I watched a lot of SWL football between about 1973 and 1993 and really enjoyed it. The majority of players back then played with a smile on their face, (Dave Street for example), and there were always some funny remarks between the players and the referees. The managers and others in the dugouts were better behaved. Nowadays the players don't seem to really enjoy playing and are mouthy and aggressive over the smallest things. The behaviour of the managers and others around the dugouts is often appalling. The hardcore fans are not as well behaved nowadays either. Did others read the letter in this weeks 'Indy' criticising the behaviour of fans at the Cornwall Senior Cup Final? Why should others care about the game if those most close to it don't?

that letter in the independent criticising the behaviour of the fans was a joke and way over the top.

You miight think that, but how many people would agree with the letter and are staying away? Do clubs ever do any surveys of the people attending the match or the local population? If I was on the committee at, say, Falmouth or Penzance I would have some surveys done. I would ask people at a match what improvements they would like to see on matchdays in and arround the ground. I would also do a survey in the local town on a Saturday morning asking those who like football why they don't go to matches. Some of the changes suggested might not cost a lot of money! Perhaps clubs have done this and I'm not aware of it.

Thank you Robbie for all that you & les are doing for Falmouth Town, I have suported Falmouth since my early 20's I took my Son to his first Match when he was 7, & Like me he is a staunch Town supporter I Only wish I was still in my 20's & Not Almost 74, because I would be there doing my Bit for the Town which has the greatest history in Cornish Football, & I am sure will again be one of the top clubs in the County, irrespective of some of the nasty comments about Falmouth that are put on this Forum by some people who have twisted minds, So Robbie & Les Carry on regardless I am sure that you have the full support of every Falmouth town Supporter, Hammers

Guest Monty

Cornish football has been warned about these situations for a number of years now? and still there are a handful of clubs paying big bucks to players. I really think its not going to stop at Falmouth or Penzance but i feel the old cliche of players playing for the love of the club has dwindled away rapidly, The monies should be put into how the clubs look on and off the pitch because some of the dress codes for clubs is somewhat a disgrace, If you look the part then you feel the part and that will be a start into perhaps a local club that locals will play for and be proud of.

The atendance for the Falmouth v St Blazey match was recorded as 69

Average Attendances for the Premier Division(All clubs)

2012-13 90

2011-12 93

2010-11 97

2009-10 98

2008-09 96

2007-08 97

Lowest gates this season by club

19 Liverton v Penzance

27 Elburton v Cullompton

28 Cullompton v Elburton

42 Bodmin v Elburton

42 Camelford v Elburton

44 Bovey T v Penzance

44 St.Blazey v Liverton

46 Liskeard v Newquay

47 Penzance v Bovey T

52 Witheridge vTorpoint

55 Saltash vPenzance

56 Ivybridge v Saltash

57 Launceston v Witheridge

62 AFC St,Austell v Liskeard

63 Newquay v Bovey T

63 Falmouth v Bovey T

74 Tavistock v Liverton

78 P/Parkway v Cullompton

78 Torpont v Liverton

Information taken from the SW ThePeninsula website

Cant be any pressure on the current management of falmouth to restore the club to its former glory....they havent won any silverware since the late ninetys and have spent a fortune (reportidly) in that time and won nothing! I bet the budget now is the lowest in many of year at Bickland. Not the only club guilty of it and not having a pop...just seems stupid that people think they should be competing for honours. Seems to me they are an easy target for criticism at present

Falmouth town and Penzance would do well to bring in a manager who has some background of doing actual graft at a club in the past,rather than managers who just want a pot of money and then watch others do all the hard work,there's plenty around in Cornwall,talking about relaying the pitch,absolutely the craziest thing I have heard in here in years,how about getting the roller out,and looking into how you can improve the surface yourself?? Or just take the easy option and pay someone to do it!!!!! Ridiculous

and by the way who was this person that won.

should have watched the programme :thumbsup:

Too busy laughing at the predicament Coventry are in to watch a programme and actually the TV programme is called 'The Chase' not chaser. i thought they were talking about another fundraiser PZ FC had tried like their racenight

in my own personal opinion i think more teams will struggle over the coming seasons ,with the cost alone of running clubs going up rents rates insurance water electric gas to pay before even a ball has been kicked ,also fans are all struggling to survive at the moment with increases of everyday living expenses so we have less money to spend at our clubs travelling to away games as well is expensive with the cost of fuel .and paying players will always happen i am afraid but all clubs that have gone down this route will find out unless we win the lottery there is no long term solution and perhaps players will start to realise the cash cow is dying and maybe they will have to get real and reduce their demands .sponsers also are feeling the pinch so there is only a small amount to give out ,so only the top cornish sides will get the biggest chunk. we all know football cant be sustained with the money that has been paid out in the past but when will it stop ? is it to late ? how many clubs could end up going bust? and how many big cornish sides are on the brink?

Falmouth town and Penzance would do well to bring in a manager who has some background of doing actual graft at a club in the past,rather than managers who just want a pot of money and then watch others do all the hard work,there's plenty around in Cornwall,talking about relaying the pitch,absolutely the craziest thing I have heard in here in years,how about getting the roller out,and looking into how you can improve the surface yourself?? Or just take the easy option and pay someone to do it!!!!! Ridiculous

What is a roller going to do? It will only COMPACT the ground and SMOTHER any remaining grass on a football pitch! This will make waterlogging a lot worse than what it may be at present. It is old skool that is not recommended any longer on winter pitches.

The only sports I believe the roller is required, is for cricket and tennis where you actually want to compact the soil to improve playability (bounce of the ball e.t.c)

Just to clear up I have never told anybody that the pitch at Falmouth is being re-laid at the end of the season. A much needed renovated surface will be happerning at Falmouth, which will be a start in the right direction. If the renovation does go to plan, with mother nature playing a big part,the pitch will be much improved to play on next season.

Im also going to bribe all the referees to call off every game when it is raining, to make BIG AL happy - Just kidding!

We are not Manchester United where they will be relaying and replacing their rootzone in May for £500,000!! So POINTERS OR POINTLESS even the big clubs "take the easy option and pay someone to do it!!!!"

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2896/premier-league/2013/03/13/3819764/manchester-united-to-spend-500000-on-new-old-trafford-pitch?source=breakingnews&ICID=HP_BN_3&goback=.gde_3395568_member_222328739

MJ

I read all the comments by everyone with great interest.

As a boy, I remember being inside a packed Bickland Park when they entertained Peterborough United in the first round of the FA Cup. Can't remember the gate, but I think it was something like 4000.

Over the years, Bickland has not really seen much investment into its infrastructure, and like so many have said, is looking a shadow of its former self.

I know there are plans to spuce up the place a little, but I can't really see the ground ever getting back to its glory days.

Money has a lot to answer for in football - we have all seen clubs fall by the wayside, and you only have to look at Plymouth to see the damage it causes.

I do so hope that things can be turned around at Falmouth, and would love to see the Town get to the first round of the cup once more, although this feat is probably outside the reach of any club in Cornwall now.

Anyway, good luck to the current management at the town, they are trying their best, and it will take time. Lets hope that the glory days return, although I do believe that it will be someway off, but I will be supporting from a far.

Good luck.

I fear that local football still has a way to fall yet, there may well be some of the more established clubs going under and being forced to re-invent themselves in lower level leagues. It is the larger towns club that will suffer most, village clubs are are big part of the community, folk tend to gravitate to them on a more regular basis than in a larger town.

I feel that 'junior leagues' should be played on Sundays, some of the thousands of players may be tempted to watch the 'senior leagues' on Saturdays and support their local clubs. The CCFA need to assist all clubs and perhaps provide guidance and support to their members on a more regular basis, The FA could spread some of the Millions they make down to County FA's for the benefit of all clubs across the nation.

It must be very sad to have watched the decline of your Club Kernowman, the ground appears to have been a victim of certain persons dreams of relocating and now the deterioration is at its worse.

By all accounts, what finances that have been found/applied over recent years have been spent on the team and personnel. Atleast this appears to have been addressed at Falmouth now.

If there is anything to be learnt from other Cornish clubs who have been in freefall for a couple of decades, then look no further than AFC St Austell. Some peoples views of "how" it has been achieved there may differ, but you cannot hold the current committee members responsible for the state the Club was left in!

Almost 2 decades of poor management off the pitch and rapid deterioration on the pitch and ground has been turned around there within a few seasons, so surely there is life left yet at Falmouth Town!

Especially if we are to believe they are finally under better management both on and off the pitch.

Echo your thoughts Laffs, i think its a shame to see any club struggle. It always is swings and roundabouts in Cornish football where the money goes from season to season. Whats laughable is the funds that some managers get from clubs and sponsors and still manage to win nothing!! Then when the money drys up, they move on to a new project and do the same again! There has been talk that some clubs have over 30k available to them over a season, now to win no trophies with that budget at Peninsula level could almost be classed as Robbery! Bet Darren Gilbert would love 30k to spend, would probably win the league by twenty points instead of ten!

Quite true, and talking to ex players, has been happening for 50 years or so. However its arguable whether as a nation, we have faced such a harsh economic downturn and therefore grass root football needing to get realistic in their expenses and budgets.

Therefore I personally believe 30k (£600 per game average) have become a thing of the past. Possibly with the exception of 1 or 2 clubs maybe and surely that is their business if so.

In recent seasons, great Cornish football clubs have managed to stabilise themselves such as St Blazey, St Austell and Newquay. Lets hope the Truro's, Falmouth's and Penzance's manage the same and some common ground can be found to redefine Cornish football.

Quite right, it is their buisness. My point was that surely with these figures/finances the select clubs with this at their disposal should be mounting more of a challenge to bodmin? We will never know who pays what, but if i was a betting man i would say there are at least three clubs that have a bigger budget than Bodmin so surely this is money wasted if no one can compete with them over a season on the pitch!?

I think if a team wants to challenge for trophies they have to pay good money to try and climb the league but in the end only 1 team can win each competition so there will always be teams that pay big money but not win anything. What is worrying is that if the teams that are in a position to take promotion but choose not to, to me that is a waste of money. What is the point?

I reckon alot are jelous of Bodmin because they pay alot more money and cant get near them in the league table...so they want them out the league to make it easier for themselves instead!! Cant ever remember Blazey getting moaned at as much when they were so dominant. I admire bodmins common sense in not jepordising the club in taking promotion when it couldnt be sustained, better than throwing alot of cash at average players and getting their respective clubs in trouble down that route.

Yes leeds your right - but the social net works were not about then. Clubs at the time wanted just to emulate their success . Rumour, scare, lie mongering did not exhist on public networks. There was jealosy and envy but we dealt in facts, not as rather childish utterances that appear to often on this site.

We do not have to answer it. If it was the right decision for the club then they would take promotion.

The rules say we do not have to go up , so whats the problem ?

So if Elburton or St Austell come second , what will you say if they do not take promotion ?