Cornwall Football Forum

Elmore withdraw from the Premier!

Reading a club statement Elmore will focus on their reserve side (now First team) to win promotion back to the SW Peninsula League East Division.

They have a hardcore of 6 players who would boost the Devon & Exeter team.

Its a pity the club didn't apply for a drop to the SWP East division during the summer similar to Liverton United last season.

It would have saved a big fine and a season lost.

Excellent facilities at Horsden Park and I am glad I visited there last year.

This withdrawal should be a relief to the struggling bottom 5 clubs in the Premier Div.with the likely happening of only one to be relegated.

I don't understand why people believe the South Western League days was that halcyon - I can remember travelling to Porthleven away for four seasons on a Wednesday plus trips to Appeldore - I can also remember clubs folding - the Peninsula protected our pyramid progression and FA competitions. It is the financial climate that has changed and also a decrease in committee sizes and the number of volunteers available.

The leagues were founded on the bribe that if the clubs embraced the system the FA would offer financial assistance on the travelling'

Still waiting to see that, may have helped ?

No-one said the old south western were the halcyon days, but it was stronger, and so were the leagues below it. Now, to many teams playing at a supposedly higher standard....no it isn't.

Sorry John, I was at a meeting where support for travelling was discussed, all the big-wigs were there.

I've been told by a very reliable source that that at no point did the FA say they were going to subsidise travel and the League Officers never said that.

I was not at those early meetings but can only pass on what I've been told.

I too was at the meeting: the suggestion that there could/should/might be help with travelling came from the floor, not from the SWPL Steering Committee nor from the FA big-wigs and I'm sure the response was along the lines of "such things are not in line with current FA policy for funding new leagues".

The words used were " if the teams embrace the pyramid system, then help with travelling expenses would be a possibility"

That came from an FA officer who attended the meeting, and yes John, it was one of the early ones. At St Austell somewhere if I recall correctly. Thinking on again....Callington may have been the venue, it was the second I attended after the initial biggy at....can't remember that one either. Have to lie down now....to much thinking.

Clubs can't afford to travel? We are talking from Cornwall to Devon here, not to London! Perhaps the teams who reject promotion and pull out of leagues because they 'can't afford to travel', should take £15 off of each of their players pay each game. Then that could go towards a bus to travel to away fixtures. If there are 14 players in a squad, then I make 14 x £15 = £210. If you can't hire out a minibus for on afternoon/ evening to travel on then I don't know where you are looking!

I have no doubt that some people will state that players would not be happy having £15 docked from their gamely money, but if it means progressing to a higher standard of football/ playing the sport that you love then it I can't see why it would be a problem. If these so called 'great players' who are being paid £££'s every game then leave because they are only getting £45 a game rather than £60 then quite frankly they are a disgrace and their teams/ clubs would be better off without them after showing such a lack of commitment. In the case of promotion, of course there will be some circumstances where players cannot travel further due to work commitments etc, but if they would simply not do it because they 'cannot be bothered to travel' or because they aren't getting as much money every game, then there would be plenty of other willing players who would do anything to be given the opportunity to push themselves and play at a higher standard!

Back to the initial "planning meetings": I don't recall anyone from the FA saying help with travel costs was a possibility but am happy to accept it was said - I was probably nodding-off at that point. However, it is definitely not something the FA would ever consider funding themselves, so it would be down to the League to find the money - but from where? £22,500 of sponsorship is paid to Clubs in prize money each year but would the sponsors continue to be interested if this money was just divided between the Clubs (£400 each) for help with travelling?.... and would such a small amount make much difference? The only other obvious source would be from a massive increase in annual subs - which kind of defeats the object of helping Clubs with their finances.

Clubs can't afford to travel? We are talking from Cornwall to Devon here, not to London! Perhaps the teams who reject promotion and pull out of leagues because they 'can't afford to travel', should take £15 off of each of their players pay each game. Then that could go towards a bus to travel to away fixtures. If there are 14 players in a squad, then I make 14 x £15 = £210. If you can't hire out a minibus for on afternoon/ evening to travel on then I don't know where you are looking!

I have no doubt that some people will state that players would not be happy having £15 docked from their gamely money, but if it means progressing to a higher standard of football/ playing the sport that you love then it I can't see why it would be a problem. If these so called 'great players' who are being paid £££'s every game then leave because they are only getting £45 a game rather than £60 then quite frankly they are a disgrace and their teams/ clubs would be better off without them after showing such a lack of commitment. In the case of promotion, of course there will be some circumstances where players cannot travel further due to work commitments etc, but if they would simply not do it because they 'cannot be bothered to travel' or because they aren't getting as much money every game, then there would be plenty of other willing players who would do anything to be given the opportunity to push themselves and play at a higher standard!

the problem is clubs at this level are paying too much money.there are players getting paid the same or more than players at a higher level ie truro Bideford tivy ect why do you think the likes of shane Krack olly Brokenshire ryan richards nigel Slateford dropped back down

ALTHOUGH NO ONE WILL SAY WHAT THE ANNUAL SUBS ARE, I AM TO UNDERSTAND THAT THEY ARE QUITE ECESSIVE - SO WHERE DOES ALL THE MONEY GO? IT CANNOT COST A GREAT DEAL TO ORGANISE AND RUN A LEAGUE OF THIS CALIBRE!

The annual subs are quite easily found in the SWPL rules, on the SWPL league website at http://www.swpleague.co.uk/pdfs/SWP_Rules_14-15.pdf

I don't understand why people believe the South Western League days was that halcyon - I can remember travelling to Porthleven away for four seasons on a Wednesday plus trips to Appeldore - I can also remember clubs folding - the Peninsula protected our pyramid progression and FA competitions. It is the financial climate that has changed and also a decrease in committee sizes and the number of volunteers available.

I have to agree.

My memories of the South Western League are of a competition that was becoming increasingly dull, largely because of the absence of promotion and relegation issues. And let's not forget that for quite a few years there was very little to get excited about unless you happened to play for or support St Blazey. The creation of the SWPL was partly an attempt to address this problem.

The current trend for clubs to suddenly withdraw is pretty depressing, it has to be said, but it is occurring throughout non-league football all over the country. For example, I've watched plenty of matches in the North West Counties League in my time and thoroughly enjoyed most of them. But many teams who were playing in that league just a few years ago are no longer involved, and a few of them have ceased to exist altogether. I hate to see it happen, but it all comes down to difficult times and economic conditions.

If the f.a are serious about clubs promoting through the system, there needs to be 3 promotion and 3 relegation. That way if say 3 team get promoted to the western premier, and they all happen to stay up, then the following year another 3 promoted. Then suddenly you have 6 teams in the western premier eague that are suddenly a lot closer geographically. Before you know it you could have a western league full of Cornish clubs.

If the f.a are serious about clubs promoting through the system, there needs to be 3 promotion and 3 relegation. That way if say 3 team get promoted to the western premier, and they all happen to stay up, then the following year another 3 promoted. Then suddenly you have 6 teams in the western premier eague that are suddenly a lot closer geographically. Before you know it you could have a western league full of Cornish clubs.

Probably one of the best suggestions I have heard

Would any lights requirements be a stumbling block for divison one promotions into premier?

In other parts of the country teams are allowed to ground share for a limited time at another club that has lights giving them time to get lights installed. Would this not be a potential workaround and has this ever been done in Cornwall?

National League System: Rule 5.5.

Clubs are not allowed to enter into a ground share agreement in order to gain promotion or to retain membership at a particular Step where the Club has failed to attain or maintain the relevant Grade.

National League System: Rule 5.6.

Clubs competing at Step 7 must comply fully with the minimum requirements in force. To be considered for promotion to Step 6, Clubs must meet the requirements of Grade H and attain Grade G by 31st March in the year following promotion. Clubs can be promoted from Step 7 to Step 6 without floodlights provided all other requirements of of Grade H are met by 31st March in the Playing Season in which the Club wishes to gain promotion and that the Club has the following in place:

1. Planning permission for floodlights

2. Funding applications submitted if required

3. Quotations/estimates for the work to be carried out

4. A development/business plan

5. That by 30th September following promotion the floodlights are installed and in working order. (If they're still not in place by 31st March, relegation is automatic)

Promotion is not as straight-forward as it might seem!