Cornwall Football Forum

Players Safety

Just to get some thoughts on the demands being made on players as the season closes with so many games (for most) in such a short time frame. Would it not be better to extend the season further given the exceptional weather conditions we have faced. Its also fair to say that the demands extend to Sunday games for many of these players and as such would face up to 4/5 games per week. It is unacceptable really and the league should have more consideration here. Thoughts?

I don't think the league is controlled by the FA but more aligning with their National expectation. I don't see how the FA can justify player safety without considering a common sense approach. I believe the league should stand up for their local teams and players safety when their are exceptional circumstances. 

I think this has filtered down from the top level!

At the top level, it is their job and they are athletes at grass roots level they’re not athletes, they’re not training 4 days a week, they’ve not got the stresses of professional football. 

I agree with you there are not direct responsibility as professional footballers do; but loyalty and commitment to your football club /s with promotion and relegation competitive games just doesn't seem fair for players to be expected to put themselves through this regime. Just think the league needs to grow some  independence and stand up for the local football set ups. 

1 hour ago, Choppy said:

I agree with you there are not direct responsibility as professional footballers do; but loyalty and commitment to your football club /s with promotion and relegation competitive games just doesn't seem fair for players to be expected to put themselves through this regime. Just think the league needs to grow some  independence and stand up for the local football set ups. 

No chance. It’s a hobby at this standard

1 hour ago, Choppy said:

The FA dictate the end date of all matches at St Piran Premier level and above, the leagues have no choice.  They did move a little but only a few days.  Your concerns are shared and have been fed up the FA chain by not just the leagues but also by Cornwall FA.

3 hours ago, Choppy said:

Just to get some thoughts on the demands being made on players as the season closes with so many games (for most) in such a short time frame. Would it not be better to extend the season further given the exceptional weather conditions we have faced. Its also fair to say that the demands extend to Sunday games for many of these players and as such would face up to 4/5 games per week. It is unacceptable really and the league should have more consideration here. Thoughts?

It is just a hobby Choppy, & players playing at the lower levels will quite happily play 3/4 games in a week, especially if they have something to play for.

When I played for Porthleven in the old West Penwith league, we played 6 games in 6 days to win a cup final on the Bank holiday Monday. That included playing 2 games on the Saturday to ensure we got a day off before the final on Monday.

Thats what we play the game for, because it’s our hobby. 

If your not committed to doing that, play something else or don’t play sport at all. 

1 hour ago, Choppy said:

When playing more than once or twice a week it becomes more than a hobby, That's a commitment to your club. 

Steps  1 to 6 of the NLS are governed by Wembley and that includes end dates.

The SWPL have been proactive in trying, and to a limited degree, extending the season for non promotion matters

The efforts the league have made to SWPL fixtures has been very limited I agree, certainly not proactive. It would appear with so many fixtures teams face the League don't have any voice or leadership to be able to justify to the FA the concerns they have, or should have. 

You can rest assured that Phil at the SWPL and Steve at the SPL will have done all that they possibly can in this regard!! Both leagues incredibly lucky to have them both with their knowledge and experience. Their hands are tied by the FA and trying to rearrange the amount of fixtures and work gone into that by the deadline dates must have been a nightmare for them in this unprecedented season weather wise!! You could say the last few months have been rather “Choppy”!!! 😀👍

I don t disagree they have not worked hard to resolve things but the fixtures are embarrassing with 4 games per week for some teams either in promotion or not. It is great they have built up Rappo rt with the FA but clearly they have not the stomach to take this to the FA with more determination, and perhaps need more support. 

9 hours ago, Choppy said:

It is great they have built up Rapport with the FA but clearly they have not the stomach to take this to the FA with more determination, and perhaps need more support. 

You clearly have no idea of the efforts made by Phil and I and those in positions to support us in our arguments.  If you think that we and them stand idly by and just accept the dictats you are sadly mistaken.  However, when the answer 'make it happen' keeps coming back on repeat to every league in the country there's little you can do to combat that approach.

So to be clear I am not suggesting they are doing nothing as the League acts independently within regions. I am disputing more could be done to challenge the FA on those 'make it happen' statements. The FA are committed to promoting and supporting football at all levels and should be taken to task in my opinion. At local levels there is a genuine passion and commitment which often shapes football pathways; I wouldn't want the League to set themselves up to fail, but I know the football community would stand and support Phil (a well respected stalwart) and collectively challenge the FA should it be needed! 

54 minutes ago, Choppy said:

So to be clear I am not suggesting they are doing nothing as the League acts independently within regions. I am disputing more could be done to challenge the FA on those 'make it happen' statements. The FA are committed to promoting and supporting football at all levels and should be taken to task in my opinion. At local levels there is a genuine passion and commitment which often shapes football pathways; I wouldn't want the League to set themselves up to fail, but I know the football community would stand and support Phil (a well respected stalwart) and collectively challenge the FA should it be needed! 

If you are as passionate about it as you say you are, would it not be wiser to contact the league directly rather than "vent" on a forum under a pseudonym?

The SWPL (and the St Pirans League) have constantly been in contact with the FA and the NLS since the beginning of the year and tried everything under the sun to get them to listen to us but everything has fallen on deaf ears. You only need to look on twitter and in the press to see that near on every league in the country have tried the same and have received the same response from them. And other stories that have come to light lately have only highlighted the fact that the FA do what they want regardless!

Colne in the Northern League are playing on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and Saturday next week so the SWPL has performed miracles in the last few months to try and fit all the games in by the deadline and prevent clubs from having to play on consecutive days

I think your interpretation on venting is sadly off the mark, I am highlighting inadequacies of the FA and limitation of the league to make any impact on change. The idea of a forum is to have opinions under any pseudonym, as you clearly have yours. Ultimately what you are saying is that it is ok for the FA to incur multiple games in order to get the season completed, and we should be grateful we are not in other districts where the regime is harsher! Slight narcissism there, uncovering the epitome of 'our beautiful game' is then really a sham. Einstein must of had it wrong when he said the measure of intelligence is the ability to change.

2 hours ago, Choppy said:

So what exactly are you suggesting should be done?  The Western League, Peninsula League and St Piran Premier Divisions all come under the Leagues Committee at the FA.  Strong and repeated representations were made into that body and to those who sit above it.  Representations have also been made (by St Piran) through Cornwall FA to the Regional Manager who is also very supportive and is taking it forward.  I have little doubt that the conversations will continue after the season is concluded as the poor communication and lack of understanding of the difficulties encountered this season must not be repeated.

It would seem unfair to expect the League to take the FA to make huge changes but rather with support from local teams / clubs could make necessary noise through club statements or press coverage / social media etc especially considering the amount of work behind the scenes of the exceptional volunteers, groundsman/women, as well as the risk to players with unnecessary amount of games being played (many whom have full time jobs and families). A more of a stand together cause as a collective and support the league sending the message to the FA. Just a thought. 

Don’t actually know why choppy is getting resistance to his comments.  He hasn’t suggested those within the leagues are doing nothing. 

But the fact remains that its mad games get called off with player safety in mind, then the same players are asked to play 4 times in 7 days for 2/3 weeks in a row. it’s utterly outrageous and contradictory. 

What aspect of Player Safety are we talking about here?

Playing on a mud bath can affect players safety through tackles. Playing multiple games in a week can affect players safety with fatigue. 

At this level of football there wouldn’t be any of that. Looking some of the highlights from Piran Films of Helston games, there are players that play in that league that are far from athletes due to their own dietary or personal circumstance 

On 22/04/2024 at 14:39, kevin richards said:

It is just a hobby Choppy, & players playing at the lower levels will quite happily play 3/4 games in a week, especially if they have something to play for.

When I played for Porthleven in the old West Penwith league, we played 6 games in 6 days to win a cup final on the Bank holiday Monday. That included playing 2 games on the Saturday to ensure we got a day off before the final on Monday.

Thats what we play the game for, because it’s our hobby. 

If your not committed to doing that, play something else or don’t play sport at all. 

I remember that Kev. Crazy schedule but you fellas were brilliant! 👏