Cornwall Football Forum

NEW OWNERS AS CITY ARE ON THEIR WAY HOME!

Dave Deacon

Truro City Football Club are pleased to announce two major developments to its supporters, stakeholders and the wider Cornish community.

Firstly, full ownership of the football club has been transferred to a Canadian consortium, who also hold ownership of Cornwall RLFC, the Duchy’s professional rugby league club. The group are thrilled to acquire a football club with such a rich history, tradition and most of all, one with such an exciting future.

The club wish to place on record our thanks to Dicky Evans and the previous ownership for the work they have done in ensuring Truro City’s survival through the turbulence of the covid-19 pandemic, whilst steering the club throughout its time in exile over the past three seasons.

“We are delighted to complete the takeover of Truro City Football Club,” said incoming executive chairman Eric Perez. “As the new custodians of Cornwall’s highest ranking football club, we are fully committed to playing our part within the exciting future of the beautiful game in the Duchy.”

Most significantly, and after three long seasons in exile, we are over the moon to announce that Football’s Coming Home - Truro City will be moving back to Truro next season. The club will begin the 2024-25 season at the Langarth Village site, using temporary infrastructure whilst the new ground is built.

“The club stands on the cusp of a new dawn with the move back to Cornwall,” Perez added. “The team, under the trusted leadership of our manager Paul Wotton, produced wonderful results on the pitch last season in winning promotion back to the National League South.

“The goal is to continue the club’s progress by supporting the delivery of a facility that befits our team’s standing, our accomplishments, and most importantly our ambition.”

https%3A%2F%2Fsubstack-post-media.s3.ama

* (date of photo unknown)

To enable more to be known about the latest news, the club is holding an open fans forum this evening at the Hotel Vara in the city, starting at 7.30pm.

It’s free entry from 7pm onwards on a first come, first served basis.

Club officials, including first team manager Paul Wotton, will be present to speak at a press conference, followed by a fans forum.

The club will update fans on its exciting future plans and developments, which of course includes the new stadium at Langarth, to the west of Truro, with timescales for a return to playing in Cornwall.

If you’re intending on going tonight, parking on site at the Hotel Vara is limited and is on a first come, first served basis.

The Hotel Vara address is: Hotel Vara, 49 Falmouth Road, Truro, TR1 2HL.

It is hoped to share some of the Thursday event via a ‘CORNISH SOCCER talking football!’ podcast production

4 minutes ago, sportsman10 said:

What is temporary infrastructure while the new ground is being built ?   I thought the rules with the ground grading were quite strict. 
I guess the real work begins now with the new owners desperate to get the Truro locals back interested after 3 years of exile.  

3 years of exile???

They’ve got a hell of a job on their hands that is going to cost them a load of money. 
Best of luck to them, I hope they manage to bring Truro City back to the community. 

Positive news that the ownership issue is now settled. The role of the Cornish Pirates though in keeping Truro City alive, and in good health, should be acknowledged. As ever though, as with any football club changing hands, beware of false prophets. 

Getting the ground finished, keeping the team in the NLS (and moving it forward), together with engaging locals and getting them through the turnstiles, is going to require a lot of money and hard work. Time, as ever, will tell.

27 minutes ago, Monsoon said:

Summer rugby !!!

Rugby League is a great sport and, if promoted properly, can see it getting decent support in Cornwall during the summer months when it has a clear run with no counter attractions. Might not be so popular with the groundstaff who use the close season to rest and repair the playing surface (Older's opinion would have been useful here).

With regards whether a pitch could sustain rugby league in summer and footy during winter.  It very much depends on how it has been constructed. Modern day pitches are referred to as desso, which is a hybrid mixture of hard wearing rye grass, which is then inter stitched with plastic grass. This is grown over a drainage carpet.

I would suggest any groundsman would rather have summer sport, as opposed to being over played in the winter such as the parkway pitch. 

On 30/11/2023 at 08:38, Way Of The Park said:

Positive news that the ownership issue is now settled. The role of the Cornish Pirates though in keeping Truro City alive, and in good health, should be acknowledged. As ever though, as with any football club changing hands, beware of false prophets. 

Getting the ground finished, keeping the team in the NLS (and moving it forward), together with engaging locals and getting them through the turnstiles, is going to require a lot of money and hard work. Time, as ever, will tell.

That's sums up how I feel, precisely. To be honest, it was a feeling I didn't lose when we were owned by the Pirates.

On 30/11/2023 at 10:22, Way Of The Park said:

Rugby League is a great sport and, if promoted properly, can see it getting decent support in Cornwall during the summer months when it has a clear run with no counter attractions. Might not be so popular with the groundstaff who use the close season to rest and repair the playing surface (Older's opinion would have been useful here).

I had a ST for Cornwall RLFC - steady progress there. Well run good value entertainment too. Hopefully the new owners can consolidate and then continue progress at the White Tigers.

13 hours ago, Mrgreen said:

With regards whether a pitch could sustain rugby league in summer and footy during winter.  It very much depends on how it has been constructed. Modern day pitches are referred to as desso, which is a hybrid mixture of hard wearing rye grass, which is then inter stitched with plastic grass. This is grown over a drainage carpet.

I would suggest any groundsman would rather have summer sport, as opposed to being over played in the winter such as the parkway pitch. 

Does anybody know what the  specification of the new pitch will be? Lots of detail about the new ground and timelines, but nothing about this .

Some quick Googling of the Desso Grassmaster hybrid system which you mention, reveals a cost of around £500,000 to install. A big investment indeed. York City's new LNER Community Stadium, which they share with York Knights Rugby League club, has this playing surface.

45 minutes ago, Tommy Matthews said:

Word from a very good source informs me that the pitch will be the very best around but there are no plans for dual use initially. 

Cheers Tommy,

The ongoing pitch share experience at Bolitho illustrates the problems that over using a newly laid, and not yet established, surface brings.

The long term aim must be to get the rugby league side into Langarth, but guessing that the spring/summer 2025 season is the earliest realistic time frame for this to happen.

11 hours ago, Tommy Matthews said:

Word from a very good source informs me that the pitch will be the very best around but there are no plans for dual use initially. 

Unfortunately, to be the very best around, doesn’t really set the bar very high. Most, if not all, haven’t been constructed, they have been merely mown and maintained. Any that have been constructed, haven’t been done with modern technology.

I cannot stress enough, how different, a modern pitch is. Aside from the underground construction, the playing surface is unique. It requires an underground watering system. It also gets managed quite differently to a mown down field.  The machinery, and skill set required to prepare and maintain are worlds apart from anything local.

Multi use, year round use, is very much achievable. But as I said at the very start, just being best around may not be good enough.

26 minutes ago, The Town Man said:

Been said many times, and not a dig at Truro at all, but how is any of this anything like sustainable with crowds of 500 at best every other week? Where is the income coming from?  Why are these investors throwing money at the club? Where is the payoff? Just doesn't make sense.

I dont think it is if you're only thinking about money. I guess if you've got a lot of it, the whole process of growing a club would be quite entertaining. If they can pump in enough money to build the infrastructure and a team that gets Truro to League 2 I guess they sell to someone with deeper pockets who tries to do the same on a bigger scale. The dream is to unlock the whole duchy and have a county football team like Norwich are to Norfolk. Obviously this is highly unlikely.

10 hours ago, The Town Man said:

Been said many times, and not a dig at Truro at all, but how is any of this anything like sustainable with crowds of 500 at best every other week? Where is the income coming from?  Why are these investors throwing money at the club? Where is the payoff? Just doesn't make sense.

That's what my thoughts keep coming back to. What is in it for Eric Perez and his consortium? The various profiles I have seen refer to him as an "entrepreneur ", but I haven't read where and how he made his money or who the backers are behind him. As an entrepreneur, that would imply that he thinks a return can be made on his investment at some stage in the future. With previous owners of City, the obvious asset of value was the ground and its development potential, would that apply to the new facility at Langarth at some time in the distant future? I can't think of anything else that would generate a significant return.

Really hope that I am being unnecessarily cynical about the whole process, but experience gained in my professional career has taught me to be wary of things that appear too good to be true. Again, hope I'm wrong and that this is the start of another successful chapter in the history of Truro City

With regards to sustainability, it does seem apparent,  that Truro city alone wouldn’t be in the position to fund it.  However maybe (and I’m clutching at straws here) add the county’s  rugby league club, and possibly the Cornish Pirates as well, and we’re on the way to making it work. 

Throw in the possibility of hosting the Cornwall senior and junior cup finals, and even some other, if not all cup finals in multiple sports. Mmm, maybe. It might just be workable. Wouldn’t it be nice, if it could be everybody who plays grass root sports, dream to play at the venue.

10 minutes ago, Mrgreen said:

With regards to sustainability, it does seem apparent,  that Truro city alone wouldn’t be in the position to fund it.  However maybe (and I’m clutching at straws here) add the county’s  rugby league club, and possibly the Cornish Pirates as well, and we’re on the way to making it work. 

Throw in the possibility of hosting the Cornwall senior and junior cup finals, and even some other, if not all cup finals in multiple sports. Mmm, maybe. It might just be workable. Wouldn’t it be nice, if it could be everybody who plays grass root sports, dream to play at the venue.

Said this for years. All county schools football cup finals etc should be played there. Would be something as a 13 year old kid etc to dream about, playing under flood lights with a few hundreds supporters from each school etc attending, would be magic in the eyes of those kids.

41 minutes ago, Craze said:

Said this for years. All county schools football cup finals etc should be played there. Would be something as a 13 year old kid etc to dream about, playing under flood lights with a few hundreds supporters from each school etc attending, would be magic in the eyes of those kids.

Hang on a second though, this is a ground for Truro, not a “Stadium for Cornwall”! 

1 hour ago, Mrgreen said:

When the old Truro broke ties with the CCFA, none of these finals were held at Treyew ever again. Why should things change. And Rugby League is a northern sport so crowds and team success down here will always be very limited. 

At least there’s been a launch and a fans’ forum; now there’s a pathway. Eric Perez has done well by all accounts with the Rugby League Club and he now has some proven history. Did anyone suggest at the meeting that resuming the free coach service (as in previous seasons)might get more supporters up to Plymouth Parkway? I, for one, would go to the midweek games.

1 hour ago, Dave Deacon said:

Hang on a second though, this is a ground for Truro, not a “Stadium for Cornwall”! 

That is as it maybe, but Truro need to position themselves as the Club for Cornwall, and one of the ways of doing this is monopolising the youth and inspiring the communities - gestures like hosting big age group games there is a great start.

1 hour ago, Craze said:

That is as it maybe, but Truro need to position themselves as the Club for Cornwall, and one of the ways of doing this is monopolising the youth and inspiring the communities - gestures like hosting big age group games there is a great start.

This "Club for Cornwall" thing is surely pie in the sky. Most local football fans already have their allegiances and don't really care about Truro.  They could at best be people's "standby" team to go and watch if there is not much else on locally, but that would be it.  Suspect that the ticket prices may even limit that scenario to those fortunate enough to be able to afford paying that sort of money over, to see a game they are not that bothered about.

17 hours ago, le boss said:

When the old Truro broke ties with the CCFA, none of these finals were held at Treyew ever again. Why should things change. And Rugby League is a northern sport so crowds and team success down here will always be very limited. 

Crowds for the RL team are some of the highest in the league so the 'northern sport' jibe is, I think, incorrect. There is a very good base to build from. 

14 hours ago, The Town Man said:

This "Club for Cornwall" thing is surely pie in the sky. Most local football fans already have their allegiances and don't really care about Truro.  They could at best be people's "standby" team to go and watch if there is not much else on locally, but that would be it.  Suspect that the ticket prices may even limit that scenario to those fortunate enough to be able to afford paying that sort of money over, to see a game they are not that bothered about.

Oh its definitely not going to be easy, and Truro are going to have to give more than they get for quite some time, but a massive prolonged charm offensive is the only way to grow the club

Some attendance figures for the rugby league

Not too shabby for a Northern game eh ? Bet a few football clubs down here would love those sort of figures.

These figures are from the 2022 season.Looking around the ground the 2023 figures wouldn't be too far adrift.

3 hours ago, Thecupfootballblogger said:

Crowds for the RL team are some of the highest in the league so the 'northern sport' jibe is, I think, incorrect. There is a very good base to build from. 

Get over yourself. It wasn’t a jibe it’s just a fact. Where is Wigan castleford Warrington and hull???

3 hours ago, Monsoon said:

Some attendance figures for the rugby league

Not too shabby for a Northern game eh ? Bet a few football clubs down here would love those sort of figures.

These figures are from the 2022 season.Looking around the ground the 2023 figures wouldn't be too far adrift.

Massively helps that it’s a summer sport. How much does it cost to get in to watch that?  I know they’ve given out loads of free tickets in the past as well

On 06/12/2023 at 20:23, le boss said:

Hmmm. I think Cornwall RLFC averaged about 700 - 800 at Penryn last season. I think the White Tigers will struggle to get this figure initially unless very successful on the field!

Owners have done well in building a core of new fans for RL adding to SW based ‘ex pats’ from up north. It is a good value and enjoyable afternoon out watching Rugby League. 

However, the experience of the would be Canadian RL franchise means I’m still wary of an entrepreneur led ownership. I doubt the Canadian consortium are doing it because they love Cornwall. They love money and a ‘return’ first. Optimistic but wary sums up my feelings.

On 07/12/2023 at 16:30, le boss said:

Get over yourself. It wasn’t a jibe it’s just a fact. Where is Wigan castleford Warrington and hull???

Get over myself? What are you talking about? I was merely pointing out that Cornwall RL had done well in terms of crowds. If you read it as me being argumentation then I think you need to get over your own self. Goodbye.

1 minute ago, Thecupfootballblogger said:

Get over myself? What are you talking about? I was merely pointing out that Cornwall RL had done well in terms of crowds. If you read it as me being argumentation then I think you need to get over your own self. Goodbye.

Argumentation? I think I have invented a new word! Must check before posting in future. Sorry.

14 hours ago, Thecupfootballblogger said:

Argumentation? I think I have invented a new word! Must check before posting in future. Sorry.

😉😁

Untitled.png

If Truro City are considering a youth academy, where are they going to magic the youth from. Plenty of Cornish clubs have a youth set up that is well established, and not a dig but Helston and Mousehole seem to aquire the better players. We also keep being told that the pool of players are not available, and this is why so many Plymouth based players are travelling down to play.

56 minutes ago, Mrgreen said:

Purely hypothetical, but how competitive would a team be, in national south, made up of nothing but “ Cornish boys”

So the best Cornish keeper, best Cornish centre half’s etc. 

I would love to see Truro try this, i.e. trying to keep the best players in Cornwall playing for Truro, rather than leaving the County. If they’re patient and get proper system in place, they would have a chance, plus I think it would be more sustainable and attract larger crowds. 

2 hours ago, Mrgreen said:

Purely hypothetical, but how competitive would a team be, in national south, made up of nothing but “ Cornish boys”

So the best Cornish keeper, best Cornish centre half’s etc. 

It would probably look a lot like the recent Kernow FA squads. So a few step 3 players, several from step 4 and 5, but mostly from step 6 clubs.

On the subject of a prospective Truro City FC Academy, they have had a pretty successful under 18 side in the last few seasons, the bulk of which made up the team which won promotion to the SWPL from the St Pirans. As far as I can remember, none of these players have featured in the 1st team beyond pre season friendlies, I have no idea if any of them take part in 1st team training sessions either. It is a big jump from SWPL to the NLS, so it is completely understandable them not featuring. It is worth remembering as well that it is Paul Wotton's job (as with Lee Hobbs at Parkway, Jake Ash at Mousehole and others) to get results in the here and now. That is what they are judged on, not blooding local youngsters. I know I have been critical of the role of directors of football in local football, but perhaps there is a place for them at step 2,3 and 4 clubs in coordinating the youth policy and player pathway for young talent away from the pressures for immediate results. Perhaps the new owners of Truro are considering such a position.

12 hours ago, Way Of The Park said:

It would probably look a lot like the recent Kernow FA squads. So a few step 3 players, several from step 4 and 5, but mostly from step 6 clubs.

On the subject of a prospective Truro City FC Academy, they have had a pretty successful under 18 side in the last few seasons, the bulk of which made up the team which won promotion to the SWPL from the St Pirans. As far as I can remember, none of these players have featured in the 1st team beyond pre season friendlies, I have no idea if any of them take part in 1st team training sessions either. It is a big jump from SWPL to the NLS, so it is completely understandable them not featuring. It is worth remembering as well that it is Paul Wotton's job (as with Lee Hobbs at Parkway, Jake Ash at Mousehole and others) to get results in the here and now. That is what they are judged on, not blooding local youngsters. I know I have been critical of the role of directors of football in local football, but perhaps there is a place for them at step 2,3 and 4 clubs in coordinating the youth policy and player pathway for young talent away from the pressures for immediate results. Perhaps the new owners of Truro are considering such a position.

This is probably where Tavistock are currently getting it right with their development side and the work Dave Ottley was doing before changing roles recently. Having a Dev side not in a competitive league had it's doubters, but having the young lads "develop" at other clubs while training with Tavistock has so many positives. They're getting game time at a decent level for their age while keeping an eye on how they're doing, developing their own relationships with those players and this has come to fruition in Newton, Rutter, Sullivan, Beardesmore to name just a few. 

If you are going to become the 'county team' then you need to make sacrifices and have programmes like this, even when they don't consistently produce fruit. So much of what the club needs to do is aspirational and hopefully will inspire. Doing things the right way is the only way to grow unless you're going to chuck loads of money at it, and as has been discussed, whats the point of chucking loads of cash at this, wheres the return?

On 02/12/2023 at 22:08, Tavi Fan said:

Should Buckland be doing better in the league? 
A fair few people predicted them to win the league at the start of the season but from the outside looking in it seems they’ve not been at it at all so far.

Another very good result for Falmouth Town. Can’t imagine too many will go away to Barnstaple and win. 

19 hours ago, Way Of The Park said:

You are correct when you say they had a successful U18's  squad but as far as I know they were parachuted into the club from elsewhere and not up through the age groups. Do they have a youth set up at present. It's not just the youngsters, it's the infrastructure as well. They would obviously need coaches and venues to play and train. Surely that should be in place already and not waiting for the stadium to be built.

Again not knocking the club, just thinking aloud from experience