Barnstaple Town            2-2           Street

Bridgwater United          3-2            Brixham

Buckland Athletic            2-4            Torpoint Athletic

Falmouth Town               1-0            St Blazey

Nailsea & Tickenham      3-0            Oldland Abbotonians

Saltash United                 0-4            Helston Athletic

Shepton Mallet                2-0            Wellington

Welton Rovers                 1-1            Clevedon Town  

Some interesting games especially the Saltash v Helston game,yes it’s early doors but defeat for either will not be the start that they hoped for especially as they both have tough games in there next league games.

Barnstaple and Bridgwater should be to strong at home against street and Brixham

Most of the other games look to close to call and there could be a few draws on the cards,but for sure Buckland need a victory at home against Torpoint so they need to defend better as they have conceded to many goals pre - season and in there game at celevdon. But as they say footballs a funny old game,best of luck and stay safe on your travels to all supporters

• Dave Deacon changed the title to RESULTS - Tuesday 1st August 2023

Falmouth 1v0 St Blazey 

August the 1st and I don't think I've been that wet since.....well the last time we played at Bickland Park.

Global warming hasn't reached Falmouth thats for sure. 

Even though the crowd was good, it would have been even better with half decent weather. What a shame.

St Blazey matched Falmouth up but didn't threaten no where near enough. The second half was a bit of a non event. Conditions didn't help anyone. Falmouth got the all important first goal and defended it well. 

Next up, Wendron away in the F.A cup on Saturday. 

Disappointing result for Bucks v Torpoint, which turned into the Ryan Richards show, with him bagging all 4 of Point's goals. On to Saturday and the FA Cup now against, um, Torpoint. Can we kick start our season? Possibly, if we can somehow ban Ryan Richards from the ground. I'll have to have a word with the turnstile boys I think. 🙄

7 hours ago, Buckland Jim said:

Disappointing result for Bucks v Torpoint, which turned into the Ryan Richards show, with him bagging all 4 of Point's goals. On to Saturday and the FA Cup now against, um, Torpoint. Can we kick start our season? Possibly, if we can somehow ban Ryan Richards from the ground. I'll have to have a word with the turnstile boys I think. 🙄

Note Josh Robins absence first couple of games, bench Sat I think. Injured, hols, just wondering 🤔

Good turnout at Buckland last night (230 advertised, felt like more with everyone crammed under cover). In fact the crowds across the WL were excellent last night with a few 300+ in the driving rain!

Note... Pitch was looking absolutely fantastic at Buckland. The home side certainly knew what they wanted to do in the opening period, retain the ball. Possession stats would've looked close to a Mourinho side playing a Pep team. However, frustratingly for the hosts with all their possession there was only one shot from the ever impressive Carter but it sailed over Duffy's goal. With Watson unable to get Bush away to cause real problems in behind, Torpoint were happy to keep the play in front of them and to limited crosses, of which their were very few. Upon winning the ball back, the intention was clear, play through the lines quickly and expose the Buckland back 3. This paid off at the 20 minute mark, a lofted ball evaded Farkins with Richards running off of his shoulder, a neat touch down with the shot then lashed past Collins in the hosts net. The Bucks had the opportunity to even the score at the half-hour mark, a corner whipped in was met with a scuffle of players within the area. The ref was extremely quick to blow and point to the spot with a yellow shown to Crawford in the aftermath. Up stepped Stockton who's driven penalty was well held by Duffey, even more so in the slippery conditions. You could see this gave Torpoint the extra bounce, believing they could potentially grab another before the break. In a similar fashion to the first, Pope won the ball back to slip Richards through, running off of Farkins again, this time with the keeper advanced he took one touch to set before clipping over Collins from 30 yards.

HT 0-2; a well executed first half display from Torpoint but it was clear Buckland had to change tactics and to look to be more direct using the physicality of Bush and to get Carter on the ball at every opportunity.

The latter statement didn't last long with Carter subbed due to injury 10 minutes into the period. The half was rather subdued until the 65th minute when Farkins rocketed a ball into the Torpoint dugout which sparked reaction from Cardew who went into the book alongside the Bucks skipper. Once things had calmed down, Buckland introduced Morcom into the game with the intention of using him higher down the left hand side. Almost immediately he was involved, when a shot was blocked the referee then pointed to the spot again, this time for handball to the disbelief of the Torpoint players who adjudged the offence to be at least 3 yards outside. This was met with laughter from Watson and the home fans closest to the play who could clearly see it was outside. This time Duffey couldn't stop Lewington's shot, still frustrated with the decision Hillson was sent to the sin-bin. The next 10 were going to be tough, a change in formation in hope to frustrate but the directness of Morcom, who must've delivered 8 crosses, was causing problems. The equaliser was actually delivered from the opposite wing with Morcom overloaded at the back post to poke home. Cue a thrilling end in store. With Hillson back on the pitch, Torpoint knew that they would still have at least one chance. That came when Crawford won a 50/50 on the half way line then drove with the ball, it was only when he reached the area that a challenge was made and the man in the middle awarded the 3rd spot kick of the game. Hat-trick time for Richards... For the last 5 minutes of normal time, with 8+ added, the coaching book was out of the window for the home side. Farkins acting as an additional centre forward with Shanley the only man covering defensively. Pacey was able to turn a ball around the corner to put Richards away 1v1, Collins advanced 40 yards from his line intercepted and played to Stockton. Unaware that Richards hadn't given up, he slipped and you didn't need to ask Ryan twice to shoot from 45 yards. Big celebrations from the Torpoint players and faithful and a well deserved 2-4 win.

2 games, 2 wins is all you can ask for. 2 completely different games and circumstances so it was good to see how the team adapted. A repeat on Saturday in the FA Cup would be nice but I'm sure both managers would rather have the League win.

Saltash 0 Helston 4

i predicted a 4 1 win for helston , but saltash never looked like scoring,

helston were way to good for saltash, the pitch held up good, in very wet conditions, helston played fast passing slick football ,and  attacked at will, saltash im afraid did not look good at all, to many hit and hope balls pumped to  the front player who huffed and puffed to create a couple chances ,short and sweet  report from me.

i will also mention what a utter mess behind one of the goals , an attempt of building a fence with wood pallets, looks a complete eyesore, i know money and volunteers is tight, but it looks ugly as hell.

46 minutes ago, L.Gibbons said:

Good turnout at Buckland last night (230 advertised, felt like more with everyone crammed under cover). In fact the crowds across the WL were excellent last night with a few 300+ in the driving rain!

Note... Pitch was looking absolutely fantastic at Buckland. The home side certainly knew what they wanted to do in the opening period, retain the ball. Possession stats would've looked close to a Mourinho side playing a Pep team. However, frustratingly for the hosts with all their possession there was only one shot from the ever impressive Carter but it sailed over Duffy's goal. With Watson unable to get Bush away to cause real problems in behind, Torpoint were happy to keep the play in front of them and to limited crosses, of which their were very few. Upon winning the ball back, the intention was clear, play through the lines quickly and expose the Buckland back 3. This paid off at the 20 minute mark, a lofted ball evaded Farkins with Richards running off of his shoulder, a neat touch down with the shot then lashed past Collins in the hosts net. The Bucks had the opportunity to even the score at the half-hour mark, a corner whipped in was met with a scuffle of players within the area. The ref was extremely quick to blow and point to the spot with a yellow shown to Crawford in the aftermath. Up stepped Stockton who's driven penalty was well held by Duffey, even more so in the slippery conditions. You could see this gave Torpoint the extra bounce, believing they could potentially grab another before the break. In a similar fashion to the first, Pope won the ball back to slip Richards through, running off of Farkins again, this time with the keeper advanced he took one touch to set before clipping over Collins from 30 yards.

HT 0-2; a well executed first half display from Torpoint but it was clear Buckland had to change tactics and to look to be more direct using the physicality of Bush and to get Carter on the ball at every opportunity.

The latter statement didn't last long with Carter subbed due to injury 10 minutes into the period. The half was rather subdued until the 65th minute when Farkins rocketed a ball into the Torpoint dugout which sparked reaction from Cardew who went into the book alongside the Bucks skipper. Once things had calmed down, Buckland introduced Morcom into the game with the intention of using him higher down the left hand side. Almost immediately he was involved, when a shot was blocked the referee then pointed to the spot again, this time for handball to the disbelief of the Torpoint players who adjudged the offence to be at least 3 yards outside. This was met with laughter from Watson and the home fans closest to the play who could clearly see it was outside. This time Duffey couldn't stop Lewington's shot, still frustrated with the decision Hillson was sent to the sin-bin. The next 10 were going to be tough, a change in formation in hope to frustrate but the directness of Morcom, who must've delivered 8 crosses, was causing problems. The equaliser was actually delivered from the opposite wing with Morcom overloaded at the back post to poke home. Cue a thrilling end in store. With Hillson back on the pitch, Torpoint knew that they would still have at least one chance. That came when Crawford won a 50/50 on the half way line then drove with the ball, it was only when he reached the area that a challenge was made and the man in the middle awarded the 3rd spot kick of the game. Hat-trick time for Richards... For the last 5 minutes of normal time, with 8+ added, the coaching book was out of the window for the home side. Farkins acting as an additional centre forward with Shanley the only man covering defensively. Pacey was able to turn a ball around the corner to put Richards away 1v1, Collins advanced 40 yards from his line intercepted and played to Stockton. Unaware that Richards hadn't given up, he slipped and you didn't need to ask Ryan twice to shoot from 45 yards. Big celebrations from the Torpoint players and faithful and a well deserved 2-4 win.

2 games, 2 wins is all you can ask for. 2 completely different games and circumstances so it was good to see how the team adapted. A repeat on Saturday in the FA Cup would be nice but I'm sure both managers would rather have the League win.

Good report, summed up the match perfectly. Agree our second penalty was definitely outside the box, from where I was sat in the stand couldn't believe he pointed to the spot 

24 minutes ago, tamar.man said:

Saltash 0 Helston 4

i predicted a 4 1 win for helston , but saltash never looked like scoring,

helston were way to good for saltash, the pitch held up good, in very wet conditions, helston played fast passing slick football ,and  attacked at will, saltash im afraid did not look good at all, to many hit and hope balls pumped to  the front player who huffed and puffed to create a couple chances ,short and sweet  report from me.

i will also mention what a utter mess behind one of the goals , an attempt of building a fence with wood pallets, looks a complete eyesore, i know money and volunteers is tight, but it looks ugly as hell.

Don't agree with the slick football from.Helston.....felt they play a lot of long ball.Not knocking that as it suits the brilliant Ricki Shepherd perfectly.

Agree that Helston were by far the better side.

Also agree about the "Fence'........they need to have a walk down to Torpoints ground and see how a pitch side fence improves a ground not detracts from it.

Saltash also kept battling despite being well beaten...they will be ok in that league

Brilliant crowd on a night like that

Rob farkins chunking his toys out the pram again by the sounds of it. Nothing new there. Run ragged by Ryan Richards so probably blaming everyone else. 

Buckland have made a poor start. Some big money spent and Danny Lewis brought in what gone wrong ?

torpoint on the other hand could be one to watch especially with a fit Ryan Richards scoring for Finn 

17 minutes ago, sportsman10 said:

Rob farkins chunking his toys out the pram again by the sounds of it. Nothing new there. Run ragged by Ryan Richards so probably blaming everyone else. 

Buckland have made a poor start. Some big money spent and Danny Lewis brought in what gone wrong ?

torpoint on the other hand could be one to watch especially with a fit Ryan Richards scoring for Finn 

The argument will be the season is only 2 games old but we all love to speculate what is happening at various Clubs. With Danny Lewis now involved at Buckland, they'll be absolutely fine. Sure between him and Harty, they are already identifying areas where they can improve. Purely from last night, I'm not sure the 3 at the back would work. For how much possession they have they will always be susceptible to the counter and even for what Rob has done in local football, a ball in behind will cause chaos. Further up the pitch, Watson looks neat and tidy but it wasn't until 20 minutes to go that he looked to pass forward with intent. Bush would've been incredibly frustrated as he is a top player at this level and there is no shock that sides are in for him already.

Our aim, at Torpoint, was to start better this season. It wasn't a particularly difficult ask but what Deano and Ficey have done in the off-season is to identify areas for improvement. Ryan looks to be on the form of his life, it's nice seeing him score 4 for Torpoint other than 4 against which has happened... It'll be nice to get Lorenz back either at the weekend or next week.

41 minutes ago, sportsman10 said:

Even 3 years ago it was evident that Rob Farkins was vulnerable to the ball in behind. Playing a high line, back 3 with Farkins at the centre of it, and up against a striker as quick and intelligent as Ryan Richards is bordering on suicidal. Very strong looking squad at Buckland, but sounds like a bit of fine tuning regarding shape and tactics is required.

At the Saltash game last night and bitterly disappointed to see Saltash concede so many well worked goals in the first half. Totally agree you cannot play 5 at the back and your wing backs playing so far forward that let Helston the freedom to score at will.

Don't understand why Macca went with so many changes in the squad from the first match where they played so well. This was a poor performance and Helston were organised and always a threat with Sheperd and Damerel.  Second half Saltash improved but there was no sign they could turn this game around. Back to the drawing board for Saltash as they may be fighting relegation if they perform like last night 

Is it really a sensible thing to do to play with 3 at the back at this level? 

unless you have 2 unbelievably good left and right centre backs who are comfortable in 1v1s back into their own box you are in trouble. It is far too easy to clip a ball over the top with all that lovely space out wide

wing backs unable to cover all the pitch. 

an idea from elite football that doesn’t transfer well to non league. PlayStation management 

are there any clubs who are successful in the western league with a back 3? 

18 hours ago, Paul said:

Falmouth 1v0 St Blazey 

August the 1st and I don't think I've been that wet since.....well the last time we played at Bickland Park.

Global warming hasn't reached Falmouth thats for sure. 

Even though the crowd was good, it would have been even better with half decent weather. What a shame.

St Blazey matched Falmouth up but didn't threaten no where near enough. The second half was a bit of a non event. Conditions didn't help anyone. Falmouth got the all important first goal and defended it well. 

Next up, Wendron away in the F.A cup on Saturday. 

Nice to see you very briefly last night Paul however without my amber tinted glasses on with better finishing Town should have put this game well out of Blazeys reach by half time. The weather was appalling but still a healthy attendance of 333.

Now our sights turn to this Saturday with an FA cup tie v Exmouth Town. Bring it on. UTT. 

Bucks v Torpoint - Some Belated Reflections!

Well my post 'Bucks look strong' *currently* looks to be the most unfortunate post of the year!!

Having not seen the 'Point that much last season, I've seen their first two (quite contrasting) games.

On another platform I remarked that I was looking forward to my first Bucks home game since February, but also looking forward to seeing Ryan Richards play as he's my favourite local footballer. Hmm... I've now seen more than enough of Mr Richards this week !!

I saw Bucks play a 3-5-2 at Elburton in their final pre-season game at Elburton. They were dreadful and the defending was honking!  The back line played like complete strangers! On arriving at the ground and looking at the teamsheet, you look at the personnel involved and think that line-up MUST be contenders for a play off position at least, but a title challenge ought to be possible.

Bucks started reasonably brightly, fizzing the ball around the park well, but only up to the penalty area when moves tended to fizzle out. The missed penalty by Stockton was typical of how the Bucks can't seem to get anything right presently, although a generous award from the referee later in the game gave them a lifeline they scarcely deserved. I thought beforehand, that Bush and Lewington are too similar up front. At least the former can never be faulted for his work rate. Bucks leveller at 2-2 came from a sumptuous cross from Callum Watson that was begging to be put away and it was! To draw level well into the second half and still lose by two goals is very poor. I have to say Farkins looks past it. His mobility at the back is on a par with the Hurlers Stones on Bodmin Moor. A clever forward can turn him / get in behind him with pace. There is a reason Lee Hobbs took the action to replace him when he did at Parkway. The defensive  failings more generally are a bit of a mystery. Dan Hart managed to mould a youthful and inexperienced Lanson squad into an organised and  hard working unit that became hard to break down. It wasn't pretty to watch, but it made best use of the players he had at his disposal, so seeing Buckland struggle at the back comes as a surprise, but they are hemorrhaging goals right now.

As for Torpoint, I think the display on Saturday was better! Then they were solid in all departments and managed the game with some comfort. Richards on Tuesday was, unsurprisingly, brilliant. The second and fourth goals were RR at his best. The second saw him bring an excellent through ball under control and then audaciously lob the 'keeper with a sublime effort to net. You can only admire a goal like that. The last goal on the break saw confusion between the home 'keeper and defender which resulted in an open goal, albeit from a tight-ish angle almost on the halfway line. it was if RR chose to 'putt' the ball in the net with a golfer-like precision. RR was well supported. The striking options for the 'Point look very good and the team mix up play well. Before a ball was kicked I thought that Torpoint would have another season of improvement. I was thinking about 7th or 8th place finish for them, but upon seeing two quite differing performances and opponents, maybe a play off place is not out of the question. A two goal margin was a fair reflection of the nights proceedings.

It was nice to see a good crowd (230) in view of the atrocious weather. Torpoint brought with them a respectable following. Who knew Cornwall and Devon had a monsoon season? That is two games this summer that I've been thoroughly drenched at (by 1 August)!

With all the above said, with Dan's ability as a coach and the squad he has put together, I have every confidence  he will get it right. Hopefully this prediction ages better than my 'Bucks look strong' post!

An interesting second helping of this fixture on Saturday. It was a pretty testy game at times, so a bit of spice added to the imminent cup clash. Good luck to Torpoint for the rest of the season (after Saturday).

On 02/08/2023 at 08:15, Buckland Jim said:

No idea, may have been work commitments last night perhaps? 

Answer myself now, public news. JR has signed for Oak Argyle!! 

1 minute ago, unclebilltc said:

Good for Oke, but Josh should be playing at a higher level. When he teamed up with Jack Crago on the flank at Tavi they were both blisteringly good. Wish Josh all the best. Much easier to travel to Oke than Newton Abbot.

1 minute ago, unclebilltc said:

6 hours ago, Buckland Jim said:

He has indeed, guessing he'll still be registered with us on WL forms as well. 

Any truth in the rumours Danny Lewis has resigned from his post at Buckland already after a falling out with director of football adam castle over the signing of Jordan Duffey 👀👀👀 all not well at Buckland it seems 

5 hours ago, Stu B said:

Any truth in the rumours Danny Lewis has resigned from his post at Buckland already after a falling out with director of football adam castle over the signing of Jordan Duffey 👀👀👀 all not well at Buckland it seems 

Not heard that one, disappointing if that's the case😔

1 hour ago, L.Gibbons said:

Seems not...

Indeed. Seems like Mr Bowker had a bit of a scoop. 

Must have been a major falling out. Was it because he wanted to sign Jordan Duffey (his keeper at The Ashes last season), and was over ruled by "Director Of Football" Adam Castle?  Once again, begs the question, what does a "Director Of Football" do at a step 5, part time, club?

Just now, Way Of The Park said:

Must have been a major falling out. Was it because he wanted to sign Jordan Duffey (his keeper at The Ashes last season), and was over ruled by "Director Of Football" Adam Castle?  Once again, begs the question, what does a "Director Of Football" do at a step 5, part time, club?

😁😁😁😁 I never tell lies 😇😇😇 and this young sir is exactly why he’s left Buckland will never move forward while they allow a man who lives in Ireland have so much of a say so on who the managers can and can’t sign 

16 hours ago, Both Sides of the Tamar said:

Good for Oke, but Josh should be playing at a higher level. When he teamed up with Jack Crago on the flank at Tavi they were both blisteringly good. Wish Josh all the best. Much easier to travel to Oke than Newton Abbot.

Parkway's Ryan Lane suspended for 3 games from this Saturday I believe after his straight red against Hungerford. Josh Robins would have been very nice short term cover in that position.

36 minutes ago, SomersetObserver said:

I've never been able to see the sense in a step 5 club in the south west of England having a Director of Football based in Ireland.

I don’t know a lot about him. Does he have a decent background? Just seems odd to me as an outsider.

8 hours ago, Way Of The Park said:

Over to you Steve massey .