Cornwall Football Forum

Pre Season Friendly

Back from my 1st pre season friendly so far entertaining game Wadebridge 3 - Torpoint 4 , didnt expect to get soaked through to the skin in June awful weather but its better than being in my flat on my own . 

Wadebridge look very good and on this showing they should be pushing for the league , Ryan Richards put Torpoint 1-0 with a powerful shot which took a wicked deflection and beat Rob in the Wadebridge goal Wadebridge equalised through goal machine Jaffa Rowe .

I thought Wadebridge where the better team in the 1st half but no doubt i will be told i was watching another game i usually am told i am .

Tom Shepherd had a brilliant game as well as young Greg Eastman ,

Wadebridge seemed to loose a bit of the way in the 2nd half when they made so many subs and that seemed to effect the balance especially in defence but they still look a very good side .

I didnt stay for all the 2nd half i was soaking wet and Smokie was shaking so we left before it got to dark.

Ryan Richards was brilliant and  is my MOM for Torpoint and for Wadebridge got to be Tom Shepherd .

Next match Tuesday at Bodmin vs Truro then back at Wadebridge next Friday vs Tavistock 

You wouldnt of thought it was June by tonights weather more like Febuary weather , this was just a friendly no rash tackles going in dont think there was a single foul The referee and his assistants didnt have nothing to do really they where very good and just let the game flow 

13 hours ago, sportsman10 said:

Pre season game in June. absolute madness . No wonder players are fed up or injured half way through a season. 

Players at this level don’t get fed up playing football, they would play every other day if they could. It’s just the pre Madonna’s at the top end of the game who think playing twice a week is far too much to ask for their £100.0000 a week. 🤬

1 hour ago, kevin richards said:

Players at this level don’t get fed up playing football, they would play every other day if they could. It’s just the pre Madonna’s at the top end of the game who think playing twice a week is far too much to ask for their £100.0000 a week. 🤬

They just get fed up with playing once the season proper starts (stag weekends, weddings, family events, shopping trips etc, etc).

1 hour ago, Way Of The Park said:

They just get fed up with playing once the season proper starts (stag weekends, weddings, family events, shopping trips etc, etc).

Unfortunately, that is the mentality of the player you are having to deal with these days. Players in my day wouldn’t even dream of going on holiday, getting married or going on a stag weekend during the football season, & as for going shopping with the missus, don’t get me started  😡😡😡

15 minutes ago, kevin richards said:

Unfortunately, that is the mentality of the player you are having to deal with these days. Players in my day wouldn’t even dream of going on holiday, getting married or going on a stag weekend during the football season, & as for going shopping with the missus, don’t get me started  😡😡😡

I think it's called having a life. 

Football at this level is only a hobby after all.

1 hour ago, kevin richards said:

Definitely agree, players miss games for the above reasons and more, then they moan and sulk when left out of starting line up when they get back. 

Totally agree Kev, you would have your weddings, stag do’s, holidays etc in the summer, which to be fair used to be about 10 weeks not 5!! You could “have your life” when it didn’t clash with missing football matches!!  Live in a different world today though don’t we mate! Hope you’re well 👍

TAVISTOCK 3-1 WENDRON

Thats all I know, wasn’t there, off Turkey  🇹🇷 for a week tomorrow, not thinking bout football until mid July!! Maybe the 11th then, Mousehole v Exeter! Nuts playing friendlies already in my worthless opinion!! 😳🤔😎😕

1 hour ago, RAPPO said:

Totally agree Kev, you would have your weddings, stag do’s, holidays etc in the summer, which to be fair used to be about 10 weeks not 5!! You could “have your life” when it didn’t clash with missing football matches!!  Live in a different world today though don’t we mate! Hope you’re well 👍

TAVISTOCK 3-1 WENDRON

Thats all I know, wasn’t there, off Turkey  🇹🇷 for a week tomorrow, not thinking bout football until mid July!! Maybe the 11th then, Mousehole v Exeter! Nuts playing friendlies already in my worthless opinion!! 😳🤔😎😕

We certainly do m8.

could you imagine walking into your dressing room at Falmouth, in front of those boys you played with & telling them you can’t play next Saturday because Rach said you got to go on holiday for a week. 🫣

But your not playing any more pal, so enjoy Turkey. 👌

8 hours ago, 100%cornish said:

Anyone Know the team Torpoint put out last night cant find it anywhere 

I was told this but could be inaccurate with a few away, mostly defenders 

duffey

walker RichardsA holder

hicks RichardsJ Lucas Murray hunt

RichardsR Lorenz 

subs: Rooney, Robbins, Bryan & Payn

Thanks by looking at that team that must be mostly there reseves no Heveren brothers Callum Thompson , Gary HIRD Lee Pacey  James Rowe and more so its Bodmin vs Truro for me this Tuesday if dry , if wet up Newquay . Dont forget the Boardmaster in Newquay games called off because players are going there just imagine if Brian Clough was manager of Newquay i think there would be a lot a F words 

4 hours ago, kevin richards said:

We used to have a life that included football, was there something wrong with that ?

Times have changed, and more people have to work at weekends these days (difficult to turn down overtime in these hard times as well), but managers must tear their hair out regarding some of the reasons given for not being available.

Wonder if so many friendlies are scheduled so early these days, is it because players just don't fancy the pre season training? Guess they also generate a bit of much needed income.

17 hours ago, Way Of The Park said:

I always thought that the FA don't sanction matches in June. Agree with you, far too early to start.

What would you consider a decent gap between your final league match and your first pre season friendly? 

16 minutes ago, middle mans mate said:

We were playing at Sticker a few years ago, as we came out for the 2nd half one of our players told me he had to go, he was picking a new dog up at Exeter services! And off he went....🤦

He must have been doggone barking !

• 2 weeks later...
On 01/07/2023 at 18:09, RAPPO said:

TAVISTOCK 3-1 WENDRON

Mousehole 0 Exeter City 8 ....humbled but lessons learned. 💚🥁👍

1 hour ago, Drumming Nutter said:

Mousehole 0 Exeter City 8 ....humbled but lessons learned. 💚🥁👍

Guess that is always the danger in playing high profile friendlies, you can take a bit of walloping. Probably find out more about where you are as a side though than playing a St Pirans side, and thumping them 8-0.

See that another centre back has been brought in, Morgan Lewis (great Welsh name!) joins after being released by Cardiff. Does this mean that there's truth in the rumours that Josh Storey has picked up a long term injury in pre season?

Played in too many pre season friendly wallopings by pro sides to know they don’t usually end too well!! We had the odd exceptions at Falmouth only losing 1-3 to Villa but then losing 0-7 v Shrewsbury a week later (broke my foot as well) 😔😤. They can be nice occasions and evenings for the club in front of good crowds etc and a money spinner but not sure they do much preparation wise for your season. These days the EFL seasons are starting earlier so the pros are a bit further ahead in their preparations and fitness in mid July than previous years which usually results in our teams chasing shadows a bit!! I’m sure Ashy and Dane will still get a few positives from their games this week and you know you won’t be playing anyone as good as that for the rest of the season! 👍