Cornwall Football Forum

LISKEARD management step down

The Bodmin project did bring In trophies mostly by a group of 20-30 players Darren could call up on at a moment’s notice from other clubs.  There was no affinity to the club or town , hardly anybody watched it  And there was zero ambition to to take the club forward. 
Be interesting to know if it was the club that always refused to go up or Darren himself and was more comfortable wining at level he was at. 

I often see people talk of darren as the most successful manager in Cornwall but would moushole , helston or Falmouth swap thier manager for him ??? 

3 minutes ago, sportsman10 said:

There was no affinity to the club or town

I'm not so sure this Isn't the same for a lot of clubs.

As for Gilby, I know a lot of people don't like Darren's style of management, but the simple matter is that take a look at the stats as they will show that he was the most successful manager around at a particular time in Cornish football history. As we know however, football moves on and it's someone else's turn now!

41 minutes ago, Footy follower said:

Yeh I know what you mean...be awful to win the league every year 👀

What about the last 6/7 years. This year kicked out of one competition for cheating, lost badly in another Saturday and also have a discipline problem. Things sure are looking rosey. Lol

6 minutes ago, silly billy said:

What about the last 6/7 years. This year kicked out of one competition for cheating, lost badly in another Saturday and also have a discipline problem. Things sure are looking rosey. Lol

And came 3rd I think

6 minutes ago, silly billy said:

Mr.billy......i do find you quite amusing on here...and I'm guessing you like a wind up..... hopefully most of what you say is tongue in cheek for a response.........,....but if not your football knowledge is severely limited.

But like I say...I do find you quite amusing

• 2 weeks later...
On 14/05/2023 at 16:37, silly billy said:

Let's hope they don't end up like Bodmin did. 

If he’s there for the long run then it could be exciting times if he can replicate what he done at Bodmin, only time will tell tho but will need some time to make his mark 

2 hours ago, Way Of The Park said:

Hopefully Darren keeps last season's squad together and gets them over the line and back into the Western League (where they belong).

Expect a few of the Cornish step 5 clubs will be casting an eye over some of the Blues players though.

I see Lorenz has already left? I also hear a few clubs have contacted Jennings. Jeffery & mulis. I really hope they stay & finally get the title there football deserves 

2 hours ago, Way Of The Park said:

Hopefully Darren keeps last season's squad together and gets them over the line and back into the Western League (where they belong).

Expect a few of the Cornish step 5 clubs will be casting an eye over some of the Blues players though.

Lee Mann will do a decent job 👍 

4 hours ago, Plympep said:

I see Lorenz has already left? I also hear a few clubs have contacted Jennings. Jeffery & mulis. I really hope they stay & finally get the title there football deserves 

4 hours ago, Plympep said:

they will be all staying at liskeard for the upcoming season👍🏻

10 hours ago, 100%cornish said:

Whoever Martin Hodge takes over i expect the core of the players who have been loyal to him for a lot of years will join him wherever he goes 

you’ve got that wrong again mate! us boys have been at lux park from when richard woods was in charge of us, the core players of the squad are all going into 9/10 and even 11 years of being there! had great times under hodgey, but we had a cracking 2nd half of the season with gilbey there so maybe 1 or 2 exits but us boys remain loyal to liskeard and looking forward to next season with bobby & lee back in too!👍🏻

22 hours ago, Plympep said:

I’m sure they’ll all stay LJ, all very important to the squad 💙

59 minutes ago, JonColenzo said:

IMG_7459.thumb.png.21cca8f793ad3b2cc439c97a5012aad2.png

Good luck to him. Can't be accused of a lack of loyalty as I'm sure he would have had plenty of chances to move over the last few seasons.

Quite some forward line there at Torpoint. Unless either Curtis Danerell or Ryan Richards have been lured away.

20 hours ago, 100%cornish said:

Whoever Martin Hodge takes over i expect the core of the players who have been loyal to him for a lot of years will join him wherever he goes 

More ‘Mystic Meg’ predictions 100%. 

6 hours ago, Way Of The Park said:

Good luck to him. Can't be accused of a lack of loyalty as I'm sure he would have had plenty of chances to move over the last few seasons.

Quite some forward line there at Torpoint. Unless either Curtis Danerell or Ryan Richards have been lured away.

Lorenz fit and on form the best all round forward in the SWPL since Ryan Richard’s left the Ashes! 

1 minute ago, sportsman10 said:

Lorenz and Rowe 2 of liskeard top scorers. 

I guess Darren Gilbert dusted off the old Nokia phone and sent out the sos text and now desperately trying hard to get Adam Carter and Glynn Hobbs fit for next season 

Adam carter would be good but heard he’s going parkway

maybe Ryan Richards?

On 28/05/2023 at 12:38, Way Of The Park said:

Heard rumours that Curtis Damerell will be playing his football on the other side of the Tamar next season.

4 hours ago, 100%cornish said:

Going to change my predictions Liskeard to win the league 2 brilliant signings in Mike Smith and Ryan Downing really good replacements for Lorenz and Rowe so they have got to be everyones favourites for the league but think Newquay will end up 2nd followed by St Austell ,Wadebridge and Wendron 

Well that is this weeks’ prediction from 100% 😉 Might change if Messi signs for St Dennis ……

Mike Smith a great signing for Blues!!

1 hour ago, Both Sides of the Tamar said:

Well that is this weeks’ prediction from 100% 😉 Might change if Messi signs for St Dennis ……

Mike Smith a great signing for Blues!!

Mike Smith was a real cult hero at Parkway a few seasons back (believe he left when he joined the navy).

Unlike many teams in their league, Liskeard have been blessed with a high number of very talented individual players which have  deserved more success. However, having too many talented individuals players in a team is often not enough to produce consistent performances over a season, and I believe this has been the case for Liskeard. Great teams are built around solid consistent performers, not talented individuals, hopefully they’ll get the mix right this season.

2 hours ago, Yourhavingalaugh said:

Unlike many teams in their league, Liskeard have been blessed with a high number of very talented individual players which have  deserved more success. However, having too many talented individuals players in a team is often not enough to produce consistent performances over a season, and I believe this has been the case for Liskeard. Great teams are built around solid consistent performers, not talented individuals, hopefully they’ll get the mix right this season.

Injuries and ill-discipline didn’t help last year. The former is what it is, although depth in a squad helps. The latter is entirely within a club’s grasp. Liskeard must do better this coming season. The WCP Final was a good illustration of the Blues shooting themselves in the foot 😞

100% agree we have had a meeting and big topic was discipline and commitment, that’s from both players and management, most clubs are doing good business sets the league up for a very entertaining year. Keep an eye out next week 🫣🤔 wish Sam Hill the best of luck at Bodmin top lad who always keeps himself fit and healthy but he got an offer he couldn’t turn down. 💙

12 hours ago, LeeMann said:

100% agree we have had a meeting and big topic was discipline and commitment, that’s from both players and management, most clubs are doing good business sets the league up for a very entertaining year. Keep an eye out next week 🫣🤔 wish Sam Hill the best of luck at Bodmin top lad who always keeps himself fit and healthy but he got an offer he couldn’t turn down. 💙

Was Darren trying really hard not to laugh when you had a serious discussion about discipline?? 

4 hours ago, Fan of all ball said:

Fair play to you Lee. Not many managers are as gracious when players leave them. 

To many players and managers burn bridges when they leave at the end of the day you get the best out of players when they are happy if they want to play for someone else then I will always wish them luck. The 3 that have left James L James R and Sam H are decent lads that want a new challenge. It’s only football at the end of the day. People’s health and well-being is more important. 

30 minutes ago, sportsman10 said:

Was Darren trying really hard not to laugh when you had a serious discussion about discipline?? 

No we take it very very serious and we will have to as can’t expect players to do it if management can’t. X

I completely agree with you football chat but sometimes we have to change to be better in life, being involved in ladies football has definitely shown a different side of me and yes you’ll still hear me appeal for things but I am aiming for NO red cards this season. So you better come and watch games so you can keep an eye 👀😂