Cornwall Football Forum

Stand out players

30 minutes ago, Foul Throw 3 said:

I'd add use your imagination and give us some newer names on the scene post Covid. We all know the usual names who would crop up with extensive experience at this level like Lorenz, Jennings, Gilbert, Brokes, Slates, Cloke, etc etc.

But have any of those been a stand out? I know cloke & Jennings are up there as top scorers. But I was thinking more along the lines of a few wendron players for example the lad Young who’s scored a few. 
I was impressed with Downing

defensively Mullis at Liskeard & semmens as a keeper has been good the games I’ve seen him play. I was also impressed by the young lad up front for Launceston in recent weeks I don’t know his name

3 hours ago, Plympep said:

But have any of those been a stand out? I know cloke & Jennings are up there as top scorers. But I was thinking more along the lines of a few wendron players for example the lad Young who’s scored a few. 
I was impressed with Downing

defensively Mullis at Liskeard & semmens as a keeper has been good the games I’ve seen him play. I was also impressed by the young lad up front for Launceston in recent weeks I don’t know his name

Neil Price at Launceston would be a decent shout for manager of the season.

Just now, Way Of The Park said:

Neil Price at Launceston would be a decent shout for manager of the season.

Without doubt. He’s done an incredible job

1 hour ago, Buggzy said:

young harry jeffery from liskeard looks a cracking player as well both liskeards full backs when watching them. wendron have a lot of quality players, ryan reeve, charlie young look impressive.

Yh Harry’s been superb. Harvey’s been fantastic at full back. 

Gk , Rosevear -Wadebridge all round solid keeper 

Def - Rio Ward - Blazy great young talent very versatile too . Watched him vs Liskeard recently and for a young player delt with a strong attacking team very well . 

Mid - Max Gilbert - Liskeard for me a good tempo player and someone I think would get in any midfield in the swpl 

St - Jacob Rowe - Wadebridge , missed the first 5/6 Sats of the season and still got 11 goals for St Dennis now leading scorer in the SWPL . He is a natural goal scorer and they seem very rare down here 

6 hours ago, Box 2 Box said:

Although after poor 100%s slap on the wrists can we name them 🤷

Just a word to the wise I would have said!

Anyway, I don't see any problem naming up and coming players providing no reference to their age is given. After all their names appear in line-ups which appear all over the place! I think its when photos are also present that care has to be applied these days.

My initial thinking is definitely the two at Liskeard already mentioned - Harry Jeffery - very lively midfielder going forward, and Harvey Mullis who seems to have grown every time I see him.

10 minutes ago, Dave Deacon said:

Just a word to the wise I would have said!

Anyway, I don't see any problem naming up and coming players providing no reference to their age is given. After all their names appear in line-ups which appear all over the place! I think its when photos are also present that care has to be applied these days.

My initial thinking is definitely the two at Liskeard already mentioned - Harry Jeffery - very lively midfielder going forward, and Harvey Mullis who seems to have grown every time I see him.

Harry Jeffrey and Harvey Mullis are two players that I think will feature very prominently in transfer rumours threads.

7 hours ago, Box 2 Box said:

Isn’t it just the same old group of SWPL players every season chasing the brown envelope from club to club 🤔

Is there any new players to speak of especially those not parachuted in from the higher leagues?

Perhaps young up and coming players? Although after poor 100%s slap on the wrists can we name them 🤷

Agreed same people that ask the same silly question and the same players that get mentioned 😂

30 minutes ago, Dave Deacon said:

What would you say Paul is Rio's best position?

Hard to say. He's played nearly ever postion for the first team and U18s apart from in goal. 

Defensively very good, calm on the ball and did well recently against Liskeard. 

Also very good in midfield where he can win the ball, get past people and pick a pass. 

Probably not many players around so versatile. 

1 hour ago, Dave Deacon said:

What would you say Paul is Rio's best position?

Prefer Rio at full back for Blazey, in the system they use.plays up front in a 433 for the 1st team which doesn’t bring the best out of him.Would like to see him in a 442 alongside Clokey.

Another decent young player Noah Teague at Newquay. Looks very comfortable on the ball.

I watch Liskeard regularly. Everyone  knows of Lorenz and DJ, but Harvey Mullis, Harry Jeffrey, James Rowe and Ben Collins all real talents. Finn Bartlett getting some good first team experience - could be another stellar boy in Blue!!

River Allen? Undoubtedly talented, but playing at Step 6,  helps make him stand out and he!’s playing for the Champions-elect too!   Can you see him dictating games if he played for (say) Lanson or St Dennis? A luxury player? I’m sure  Blazey fans will ‘put me right’ on such assertions!!

The top 4 sides have several quality players each. Newquay & Bude have players who can impress, but the rest reflect the now low standard of the West division, of which Bodmin 0 Liskeard 9 is the latest example of! 

it would be good to hear fans of other clubs put names from their clubs forward!

On 04/04/2023 at 14:49, Foul Throw 3 said:

I'd add use your imagination and give us some newer names on the scene post Covid. We all know the usual names who would crop up with extensive experience at this level like Lorenz, Jennings, Gilbert, Brokes, Slates, Cloke, etc etc.

Thanks for being the one to make them crop up 🤣

12 hours ago, 100%cornish said:

The player that has impressed me all season is River Allen he just purrs class his passing is amazing but we a equal brilliant passer her in Newquay in Cam Turner but player of the season for me is Noah Teagle see this young man going a long way 

Step 4  standard player playing at Step 6 will always look good. Allen’s style always looks good in a winning team too. Not sure he’d look anything special in a  Lanson or St Dennis side.

7 minutes ago, RAPPO said:

Pilgrim Pete has stood out the times I’ve watched Argyle this season, great touch for a bloke with such big boots. Then he throws sweets into the crowd for all the kids!! What a bloke! Deserves a mention 👍👏🏼

For a change we were having a football discussion on here until this!!! 🙃

Well Pilgrim Pete would of done a lot better than that lot who where a Embarassment vs Bolton not 1 player had a decent game and Argyles No 3 should have been taken off early the Bolton No 11 had the beaten of him all afternoon . 

Yes Pilgrim Pete had some lovely touches before the match his ball control was amazing ,incredible skill for a big bloke