Cornwall Football Forum

2023 season… a new hope!

5 minutes ago, Postman Pat said:

If I'm right and we have one committee running all leagues from St. Pirans down it will be good. At the minute there are some variations and it can be confusing. As long as all volunteers have a role, feel that over the years we have been blessed with some great characters

That is the plan.

A working group consisting of the FMB representative plus one other from each of the 5 leagues involved has been set up and will meet for the first time next week to get cracking with the detail.  Regionalized meetings with the clubs will take place in the new year and the aim is to have the new organization in place for the 2023-24 season.

I/we voted in favour. I think it’s a great idea. For many reasons such as the same ruling for all, player registrations simplified and a reduction for the age old “ringers” debate. 
My worry and question is that I hope all current committee members of all the leagues are given the option of future roles or input. This pool of unsung heroes are shrinking in number but those keeping the leagues in check have a wealth of experience that shouldn’t be cast aside. Some individuals may even rely on their role for sanity, inclusion and the social benefits to staying in football. 

I think proof will be in the pudding and many pros and cons and i hope this is worked through with the clubs, getting the timing right could also be crucial.

Key thing in the world right now is cost of living, so if this means clubs will need to travel further and spend more money then this outweighs any benefit in my opinion. Grassroots football is already struggling and this could have further impact.  

19 minutes ago, The Badger said:

I think proof will be in the pudding and many pros and cons and i hope this is worked through with the clubs, getting the timing right could also be crucial.

Key thing in the world right now is cost of living, so if this means clubs will need to travel further and spend more money then this outweighs any benefit in my opinion. Grassroots football is already struggling and this could have further impact.  

There will be no additional travel involved.

One registration where we now have 5, player commitment to one club, a level playing field, one fixture schedule, tying into ref availability, therefore more refs allocated, straightforward progression/promotion and relegation, better funding structure, what’s not to like 👍 

Presumably though for those clubs that have more than one team at Step 7 and below, their players will be able to play for any of the club's teams?

On 03/11/2022 at 16:16, Postman Pat said:

If I'm right and we have one committee running all leagues from St. Pirans down it will be good. At the minute there are some variations and it can be confusing. As long as all volunteers have a role, feel that over the years we have been blessed with some great characters

Good opportunity really for the long serving League committee members who have done a marvellous job in keeping all the various leagues going for many years to now pass the running of the leagues over to the Cornwall FA en bloc. 

4 hours ago, Dave Deacon said:

Presumably though for those clubs that have more than one team at Step 7 and below, their players will be able to play for any of the club's teams?

Good opportunity really for the long serving League committee members who have done a marvellous job in keeping all the various leagues going for many years to now pass the running of the leagues over to the Cornwall FA en bloc. 

While the Rules have not been discussed in any detail, I hope that players would be able to play for any team within the club they play for - subject to number restrictions.

Running of the League would be by the elected Officers & Committee Members; not by the CCFA.

1 hour ago, Postman Pat said:

Will be a wealth of experience for a committee. Unusually it will be very difficult to pick all the officers if everyone is interested

With multiple divisions in both East and West, there will need to be more League officials to administer them. For example, Fixtures and Results Secretary for each of East & West sections; Assistant League Secretaries etc. There are plenty of opportunities for those who wish to be part of the proposed structure - as well as a chance for current League Officials to retire gracefully - without feeling guilty.

Sorry for being slow on the uptake but what is likely to happen next season in terms of league structure? Will there still be St Piran’s, combo/ecpl, then Trelawny/Duchy? I am aware there is restructuring at step 5/6- how will that affect things further down? Is there any knowledge on this yet? Thanks in advance. 

6 minutes ago, Dave Deacon said:

Will surely merge some of the leagues otherwise surely no point doing it!

Bantona if you’re connected with a club I think they have had to vote on the matter.

Thanks Dave. Not connected with anyone. Be good for there to be a decent amount of teams in each league. Ten teams in a league like some Trelawny leagues seems hardly worth it. Interested to see what happens and whether it’s done in this season’s finishing positions or whether applications to certain leagues can be done like have been done in the past with combo. 

11 minutes ago, Bantona said:

Thanks Dave. Not connected with anyone. Be good for there to be a decent amount of teams in each league. Ten teams in a league like some Trelawny leagues seems hardly worth it. Interested to see what happens and whether it’s done in this season’s finishing positions or whether applications to certain leagues can be done like have been done in the past with combo. 

Don’t know where it starts but would be good if they left alone the western league had 1 peninsular league 1 west/1 east st piran bin off the combo and ecpl and say 3 each dare I say junior leagues west/east . Feel that’ll be enough if there’s an overload then Sunday league 

I should imagine it will just be an extension of the current Saint Piran League. I'd imagine one league with two divisions of East and West with sub divisions beneath each which is where the ecpl/combo and Duchy/Trelawney divisions would sit beneath. It's a shame to lose all the history that comes with the league's especially the combo league which teddyboy has done a great job of updating year on year. As far as I can remember since joining this site a few years back people have wanted one league to stop the players registering with all the other leagues so I really do hope that it helps and things get better and loyal players become a thing of the future instead of the past. What happens with the committes though as I can't imagine they'd all want to step down although some probably only do it because no-one else would. Will st piran choose their ideal candidates and get them voted in or will it be a big committee vote at an AGM once it's all sorted?

The changes at Step 5 & 6 will obviously have some impact on the St Piran Leagues as the NLS are creating another Step 5 division. In Cornwall, the proposal is to have just one administrative entity, combining St Piran League East with ECLP and Duchy Leagues, together with St Piran West being joined by Combo and Trelawny Leagues. Common rules for everyone and hopefully players signing for just one club within the League.

Thanks all. That all seems to make sense now. Agree about the history. CBT has worked tirelessly and seeing all those stats are nice to look back on as an ex player - there’s games/goals you otherwise forget about. Keeping the combo (for me) would be nice. Interested to see how it all unfolds now. 

10 hours ago, Bantona said:

Thanks all. That all seems to make sense now. Agree about the history. CBT has worked tirelessly and seeing all those stats are nice to look back on as an ex player - there’s games/goals you otherwise forget about. Keeping the combo (for me) would be nice. Interested to see how it all unfolds now. 

There would be nothing wrong with incorporating the current Leagues' identities within the divisions; they don't have to be div 1, 2, 3 etc.

John,assuming this goes ahead,can you tell us what will happen to the trophies owned by the Leagues.More importantly,what about the money

in the Leagues coffers.I understand  some of which are quite substantial.Would they want to give it away at as stroke to a new set-up which

they might not necessarily approve of.

5 minutes ago, Adlestrop said:

John,assuming this goes ahead,can you tell us what will happen to the trophies owned by the Leagues.More importantly,what about the money

in the Leagues coffers.I understand  some of which are quite substantial.Would they want to give it away at as stroke to a new set-up which

they might not necessarily approve of.

This is covered in the Standard Code Of Rules and will be one of the key topics of discussion on Wednesday.

40 minutes ago, Dave Deacon said:

Why is there a "substantial" amount?

It's been accrued over the years by all Leagues I'm aware of.

I think each league, for some reason, likes to have a reserve pot of at least one year's out-goings, just incase something unforseen happens. Not sure what catastrophe is likely but who knows what the future holds?

18 minutes ago, John Mead said:

It's been accrued over the years by all Leagues I'm aware of.

I think each league, for some reason, likes to have a reserve pot of at least one year's out-goings, just incase something unforseen happens. Not sure what catastrophe is likely but who knows what the future holds?

Lets be honest the last couple of years has shown those unforeseen circumstances. 

54 minutes ago, Richard Chown said:

Lets be honest the last couple of years has shown those unforeseen circumstances. 

So did the clubs get any kind of share-out to continue to exist Richard?

Apart from buying trophies and putting something in towards reffing admin and affiliation to Cornwall FA presumably, at grassroot (recreational) level - what else does a league have to pay out for?

5 hours ago, Dave Deacon said:

So did the clubs get any kind of share-out to continue to exist Richard?

Apart from buying trophies and putting something in towards reffing admin and affiliation to Cornwall FA presumably, at grassroot (recreational) level - what else does a league have to pay out for?

Certainly some Leagues didn't collect any affiliation fees and/or reduced them for 1 or 2 seasons during the covid period. Probably the biggest expenditure each year is the Referee Appointment levy. Some Leagues incorporate this into the affiliation fees; some make a separate charge to clubs and others pay it from League funds. Trophies can also cost a fair packet as well; League winners & runner-up: same for both League  & Suplimentary Cups. Plus Honorariums, shares of gate receipts for competing Clubs in Cup Finals and general administration costs. It soon adds up.

Income from affiliation fees for the Combo League this season is just £1,600; the League has survived for years as a result of sponsorship from Jollys & LWC. Without them affiliation fees would have to be at least double the current amount. Club fines are the only other significant income but Leagues can't rely on them incase all Clubs suddenly get everything right!