Cornwall Football Forum

Too many subs ???

Xanie25

Now 5 subs can be used in a league do you think this is ideal ? I have watched a few games and see that  managers  need to bring on subs  Rather than keep a cohesive team playing well? Is 5 too many?  Hard to keep players happy if they are on the bench, obviously needed for injuries or change of tactics but watched Millbrook alot and feel the front 2 are swopped so often that a great strike partnership cannot be formed. Just wondered if the forum had insights or opinions on whether 5 subs is too many?

Really good question, think there are 2 ways of looking at it. 5 subs gives a manager with a big competitive squad the chance to give more players a run out/minutes to keep them possibly happy, but on the other hand it does take away the cohesion of a game making it a bit stop/start in the latter stages, I watched such a game today actually and it sort of ruined the flow of the game in the last 20 odd minutes and the match died out a bit. Totally agree with your point as well it’s almost always strikers or the more attacking midfielders that are sacrificed rather than defenders or the more defensive type of player which can be a bit annoying speaking from past experience!! 🥺

6 hours ago, RAPPO said:

Really good question, think there are 2 ways of looking at it. 5 subs gives a manager with a big competitive squad the chance to give more players a run out/minutes to keep them possibly happy, but on the other hand it does take away the cohesion of a game making it a bit stop/start in the latter stages, I watched such a game today actually and it sort of ruined the flow of the game in the last 20 odd minutes and the match died out a bit. Totally agree with your point as well it’s almost always strikers or the more attacking midfielders that are sacrificed rather than defenders or the more defensive type of player which can be a bit annoying speaking from past experience!! 🥺

They're only allowed to make a change 3 times though aren't they? Which is no different than before. 

It allows more players to play which can only be a good thing at this level. 

34 minutes ago, St Darren said:

They're only allowed to make a change 3 times though aren't they? Which is no different than before. 

Not really... Means only 6 out of a squad of 16 get a full 90 mins

I can't see any benefit to it to be honest.... Sub's just being made for the sake of it

The standard of the league drops as can be some decent players on the bench at the  top sides instead of in a lower team's starting line up

37 minutes ago, St Darren said:

Somebody will correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you can use all five.

How far into the season will we get before you have a match between the "big budget" clubs in which all subs are made (32 players making an appearance), but another match is called off through a club being unable to raise a side.

In different leagues the subs allowed differ, in the league Prem for instance 9 subs are allowed on the bench and 5 x allowed to be used.

Because the numbers allowed are different in different leagues it would pay to check what is correct in the league you are interested in.

27 minutes ago, Way Of The Park said:

How far into the season will we get before you have a match between the "big budget" clubs in which all subs are made (32 players making an appearance), but another match is called off through a club being unable to raise a side.

You can use all five but can only pause the game three times in order to substitute one or more players (not inc. half time)

1 hour ago, St Darren said:

I agree good thing for the managers to keep more players involved and more players playing, that’s the one plus side. But it still takes more time, even if it’s a double substitution, one sub comes on at a time still, the other player has to leave the pitch, not always happy or time wasting so they’re usually walking off, hence the game is stopped for longer with players hanging around, while 2 subs are made instead of one. Say a double substitution happens 4 times in a match taking roughly 30 seconds each that’s another 2/3 minutes of time added on for the referee? Takes the momentum out of the game in my opinion, when it should be coming to the most exciting time of any match towards the end of a game.

I agree the downside is amount of potential on the bench when they could be playing across the whole league. 

The upside, I’ve noticed that refs are adding on much more time this season or so it appears. 90 mins plus at least 5 plus is the new norm. Pretty certain I saw a 90 + 14 this week somewhere in Cornwall. So if it’s a close 1 goal game it’s adding to the excitement 

3 hours ago, GaryHocking said:

You can use all five but can only pause the game three times in order to substitute one or more players (not inc. half time)

5 hours ago, St Darren said:

4 hours ago, Way Of The Park said:

4 hours ago, We Two said:

In different leagues the subs allowed differ, in the league Prem for instance 9 subs are allowed on the bench and 5 x allowed to be used.

Because the numbers allowed are different in different leagues it would pay to check what is correct in the league you are interested in.

@We Twoand @Way Of The Park are correct at SWPL and Western League level, you can make 5 substitutions at 5 different stoppages.