Cornwall Football Forum

Bowker leaves Helston!

On 20/05/2022 at 17:22, le boss said:

It’s not about who is more local. It’s about preaching about a team NOT being local and one that is- apparently and then surprise surprise the completely local team signs a foreigner. Glass houses and stones come to mind. I really don’t give a flying where the players come from, just don’t like hypocritical people. As I have said many times, Westy and Milchy have done a fantastic job and have been great servants to Helston too. It’s the self-promoting circus that is the new F Troop that even some of the original F Troop find embarrassing. 

Westy, Charlie & Milchy has certainly done a far better job than the Helston manager who can only boast of a fake promotion the season they were sitting in 11th place in the SWPL. Class lol.

Some "Original F-Troop" find the "New F-Troop" embarrassing ha ha ha .. :)  Can't stop laughing at that however lets give this a bit of air time. Come on then le boss, grow a pair of balls and lets hear the name or names of these so called original F-troop that said it ??? If you are too shy to say i can always meet you outside Watson & Marlow for a chat. ;) 

35 minutes ago, Jeff Chambers said:

Westy, Charlie & Milchy has certainly done a far better job than the Helston manager who can only boast of a fake promotion the season they were sitting in 11th place in the SWPL. Class lol.

Some "Original F-Troop" find the "New F-Troop" embarrassing ha ha ha .. :)  Can't stop laughing at that however lets give this a bit of air time. Come on then le boss, grow a pair of balls and lets hear the name or names of these so called original F-troop that said it ??? If you are too shy to say i can always meet you outside Watson & Marlow for a chat. ;) 

Never been known as shy. 

Massey explains why Helston released Bowker & Veal:

https://www.falmouthpacket.co.uk/sport/20161229.steve-massey-stu-bowker-craig-veal-leaving-helston-athletic/

Feels a bit back-stabby to me - not sure he really needed to do more than thank them for their service to the club and wish them all the best for the future. 

5 minutes ago, GaryHocking said:

https://www.falmouthpacket.co.uk/sport/20161229.steve-massey-stu-bowker-craig-veal-leaving-helston-athletic/

Feels a bit back-stabby to me - not sure he really needed to do more than thank them for their service to the club and wish them all the best for the future. 

That's Massey through & through though. 

9 minutes ago, GaryHocking said:

If he did that then everybody on here would give their reasons why Bowks was released. At least he’s honest unless Stu says otherwise. Damned if he does damned if he doesn’t. 

3 minutes ago, le boss said:

If he did that then everybody on here would give their reasons why Bowks was released. At least he’s honest unless Stu says otherwise. Damned if he does damned if he doesn’t. 

Watershed moment was Bridgwater in the cup? what in a game where Helston scored 0 and created 3 golden opportunities but missed them all?  work as hard as you want, the main objective of the game is to stick the ball in the back of the net, not run around like a headless chicken or maybe the game has changed 🤷🏼‍♂️ time will tell I guess 👍🏻

6 hours ago, GaryHocking said:

As if he’s blamed the strikers 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

Bowker would thrive in-front of the f troop. And I think I speak for everyone in Cornish football (maybe even the whole of England) I’d love to see him score the winner against Helston in amber and black! I can hear it now ‘Massey Massey sign him up’ 

Who honestly want to sign for Massey ?? Finish top scorer binned off for effectively  in your manager own words being lazy missing chances  and disruptive. Could you imagine Falmouth management doing that to jack bray evans 😂
He seems like a bloke that gets bored very easy and has to have the next new player to parade at all cost and expense.  . The Bentley  brothers won’t hang around long they never do.  
Will be interesting to see who finishes higher next season between Falmouth and helston. 

1 hour ago, sportsman10 said:

Who honestly want to sign for Massey ?? Finish top scorer binned off for effectively  in your manager own words being lazy missing chances  and disruptive. Could you imagine Falmouth management doing that to jack bray evans 😂
He seems like a bloke that gets bored very easy and has to have the next new player to parade at all cost and expense.  . The Bentley  brothers won’t hang around long they never do.  
Will be interesting to see who finishes higher next season between Falmouth and helston. 

Only saw Helston a few times last season, but early in the campaign it was clear that, in an attacking sense, they were a 2 man team. Stu Bowker and Billy Tucker. Mr Massey said that 2nd half of the season they were disappointing up-front. In other words, after Tucker left. Once gone they were a 1 man team. Too much even for Bowker to carry that team. Then they benched him or seemed to play him out of position. 

Can't believe Bowker's work rate was questioned!  Looked like one of the most committed players on the pitch every time he turned out.

It is tough to find decent strikers, even when flashing the cash. Going to be interesting to see who Mr Massey will sign next.

19 hours ago, The Town Man said:

Only saw Helston a few times last season, but early in the campaign it was clear that, in an attacking sense, they were a 2 man team. Stu Bowker and Billy Tucker. Mr Massey said that 2nd half of the season they were disappointing up-front. In other words, after Tucker left. Once gone they were a 1 man team. Too much even for Bowker to carry that team. Then they benched him or seemed to play him out of position. 

Can't believe Bowker's work rate was questioned!  Looked like one of the most committed players on the pitch every time he turned out.

It is tough to find decent strikers, even when flashing the cash. Going to be interesting to see who Mr Massey will sign next.

Won't be any one who genuinely wants to play there . Take away the incentives and he'd be struggling to sign anyone .

40 minutes ago, Non League fan said:

Does anyone actually think Steve Massey is a good manager? Enthusiasm and all that yes we know but….! 

I did, I thought he got a lot out of me in all fairness to him, don’t understand his decision now but that doesn’t make him a bad manager in my eyes. It’s his job to make the big calls and time will tell if he’s made the right one could be a masterstroke never know 🤷🏼‍♂️

4 hours ago, Stu B said:

I did, I thought he got a lot out of me in all fairness to him, don’t understand his decision now but that doesn’t make him a bad manager in my eyes. It’s his job to make the big calls and time will tell if he’s made the right one could be a masterstroke never know 🤷🏼‍♂️

Not sure going to local paper and giving an interview and basically calling out you top striker who obviously gave everything as lazy and bad influence in the dressing room as the sort of manager you want run through brick walls for why not just say he wanted to look at different options and be respectful .  As I said he always seems to want the next best thing no long term vision at all.
being honest Not a manager I rate at all never have.
  if he didn’t come with a big cheque book he would have been sacked or nowhere near managing a top club  around Cornwall 

4 minutes ago, sportsman10 said:

Not sure going to local paper and giving an interview and basically calling out you top striker who obviously gave everything as lazy and bad influence in the dressing room as the sort of manager you want run through brick walls for why not just say he wanted to look at different options and be respectful .  As I said he always seems to want the next best thing no long term vision at all.
being honest Not a manager I rate at all never have.
  if he didn’t come with a big cheque book he would have been sacked or nowhere near managing a top club  around Cornwall 

We all know the media can turn a phrase or take it out on context to make things look or sound worse than they actually are. I know how well I played this season and from the comments I’ve had particularly on this forum I also know I’ve worked really hard for my team too, so regardless of the comments he has or hasn’t made about me couldn’t care less 🤷🏼‍♂️🤷🏼‍♂️ That’s football I’ll never be everyone’s cup of tea and I’ve never tried to be and not about to start now lol 😂 

3 hours ago, Footy Detective said:

Aren’t Buckland the only club to have ever sacked him ,they obviously didn’t want him as manager or have any need for his cash ?

He was sacked due to results not being what was expected. He certainly had no financial input into the club, and what extras he paid to his own little crew was of his own doing. 

Some sacking archives! 

https://www.falmouthpacket.co.uk/sport/11072438.truro-city-sack-manager-steve-massey/

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/9106652.stm

49 minutes ago, Dave Deacon said:

Or did he leave there to go back to Truro City?

I think Steve Massey left Falmouth for Truro and then returned to Falmouth after being sacked at Truro? But then left Falmouth again - something like that! 

2 hours ago, Dave Deacon said:

Just to put the record straight - the first time he left Truro, when Kevin Heaney was chairman - he wasn’t sacked!

He resigned and I think Steve would probably agree it was one of the worst, if not THE worst decision made by him in his managerial career! 

Would be interesting for any City fans comments on this ,because they would have had a different squad and probably not won the FA vase .🤔

On 24/05/2022 at 13:35, le boss said:

RANT! His assessment, but frankly bollox from Massey.  He wants hard workibg forwards...  no striker gives more than Bowks! Less goals after Christmas? Huge creator and influence departed to Barnstaple. 

Bowks has opinions. Sometimes talks sense, sometimes not. Maybe the verbose ego that is Mass likes his to be the only one at Helston?

The constant switching of players in and out, without winning anything, says much about the manager. Has no class when moving players on. Cannot create unified teams, coach teans or show tactical flexibility. 

On 24/05/2022 at 18:50, Footy follower said:

"one thing I can say about Bowks is he gives everything out on the pitch" 

"my forwards didn't work hard enough" 

🤔

I've commented too, but the whole statement is nonsense from Mass. At WL level I'd always want Bowks im my team than playing for the opposition. FWIW Bowks had as good a season as any before. Top quality striker with team ethic. What more can you ask for?

On 19/05/2022 at 19:45, Footy follower said:

Well I can only think Helston. Have splashed out on a top top striker next season.... If not this is a major mistake. 

Helston best player and just as importantly..their talisman. 

Popular with his team it always seems.. Popular with his own supporters and always unpopular(in a pantomime fashion) with the opposition 

Definitely needs to stay playing at western league level(or higher) 

My favourite grass roots footballer

Agreed! Bowks and Cal Watson (Tavi) my favourite grassroits players

On 24/05/2022 at 21:02, sportsman10 said:

Not a Town fan, but hope it is Falmouth!

4 hours ago, Both Sides of the Tamar said:

Not a Town fan, but hope it is Falmouth!

He would certainly add a bit of spice upfront! But I think Falmouth will be ok upfront providing their forwards can stay fit and available. No need to break the bank with league restructuring imminent. Also with fuel costs now it would be crazy signing players from out of Cornwall. 

On 22/05/2022 at 13:10, le boss said:

Never been known as shy. 

Shy or not shy le boss you made a statement stating the "some of the original F-Troop find the new F-Troop embarrassing". You also said we are a self promoting circus.

All i've asked is if you make a comment like that back it up. You haven't so lets lets educate you and have some fun.

The so called original F-troop were preceded many years by the TRUE "originals" that were the FBB, of which i was a proud member, the teenagers that supported Richard Grays Amber army way back throughout the 70's golden years. 8 titles on the bounce including 4 Western leagues. You wouldn't know how that feels le boss..8 on the bounce ;). We had vast numbers back then that have only really been matched consistently in the last few years since the uniting of the FBB and F-Troop.

In your words you say that some original F-Troop find us embarrassing, that's the bit that i find really interesting. But you wont name them tut tut or are you just making it up perhaps ?

Could they be embarrassed by any of the following: 

1...All time record SWPL crowd attendance of 1178 on boxing day ???

2.. Highest SWPL average attendance of approx. 400/game at Bickland pk.

3..Pikachu and his inflatable friends entertaining everyone including scores of match going kids that love him and keep coming and growing in numbers ?? The future.

4..The manager and players absolutely love the colour, support and atmosphere the F-Troop bring to matches ??

5..The ground improvements the some of the F-troop have completed like the extension of the Packet End roof, new dugouts, new press box, new tv gantry, etc etc ??

6.. Maybe some of the original F-Troop are embarrassed by the amount of money we raise for local charities like breast cancer research & Mandown. Only last week one of our young F-Troop members completed a sky dive and raised over £2,000 for Childrens Hospice SW. Really embarrassing that eh le boss ???? We hold F-Troop charity disco's at the clubhouse that are massively supported, bringing people together for a brilliant night while raising more money for charity. 

7..My old FBB mate Beardy who dresses up in fancy dress every game and also entertains everyone with his fun, he also with a few others do loads of work on a weekly basis around Bickland pk like painting and little upgrades and putting up new advertising boards.  How embarrassing le boss???

8.. Ask the chairman of other clubs, where we have had on the spot matchday collections for them when they have suffered adversity of some kind.  Also ask if we brought a good atmosphere to their ground and the benefits of gate money and bar takings that are taken by the home club.

Well le boss, ill ask you again to grow a pair of balls and elaborate on your comment, you wont of course. You ain't no boss