Cornwall Football Forum

Bowker leaves Helston!

Watched him play for Devon vs Cornwall and he was really good he  was my mom for Devon ,he would be a asset to any team im betting he ends up at Bodmin ,i thought he was 1 of Masseys favourite players be interesting to see who Helston bring in to replace him and hopefully see them play in preseason like last year . Helston had a excellent goalie in pre season but dont know what happened to him they seem to use a lot of goalies at that club 

Well I can only think Helston. Have splashed out on a top top striker next season.... If not this is a major mistake. 

Helston best player and just as importantly..their talisman. 

Popular with his team it always seems.. Popular with his own supporters and always unpopular(in a pantomime fashion) with the opposition 

Definitely needs to stay playing at western league level(or higher) 

My favourite grass roots footballer

19 minutes ago, Footy follower said:

Well I can only think Helston. Have splashed out on a top top striker next season.... If not this is a major mistake. 

Popular with his team it always seems.. Popular with his own supporters and always unpopular(in a pantomime fashion) with the opposition 

What about Falmouth? The lad is Devon based so not sure that would be Falmouth’s direction. 

55 minutes ago, 100%cornish said:

Watched him play for Devon vs Cornwall and he was really good he  was my mom for Devon ,he would be a asset to any team im betting he ends up at Bodmin ,i thought he was 1 of Masseys favourite players be interesting to see who Helston bring in to replace him and hopefully see them play in preseason like last year . Helston had a excellent goalie in pre season but dont know what happened to him they seem to use a lot of goalies at that club 

Corey Harvey is out injured after having to have an operation on his hand/wrist 

38 minutes ago, mattelot said:

Are You assuming bowks was released .Maybe he wanted to leave .🤔

I was indeed released come as a massive shock to me to say the least. I wanted to stay and thought 25 goals and 14 assists was a pretty good return guess not lol 😂 phone hasn’t stopped going all day I’ll be back just a shame it probably won’t be in Cornish football as I think it’s a great place to play your football proper people who live and breathe football wish the club nothing but the best 💙💙

3 minutes ago, Stu B said:

I was indeed released come as a massive shock to me to say the least. I wanted to stay and thought 25 goals and 14 assists was a pretty good return guess not lol 😂 phone hasn’t stopped going all day I’ll be back just a shame it probably won’t be in Cornish football as I think it’s a great place to play your football proper people who live and breathe football wish the club nothing but the best 💙💙

Can’t believe this to be honest, how the hell can you release a player with those stats, must be some player coming in to replace you.

59 minutes ago, Footy follower said:

His twitter makes it seem like he was released and that it was a shock

Maybe mutual? 

My thoughts were he wasn't expecting it looking at his tweets earlier in the day 

23 minutes ago, THEMAGPIE said:

Can’t believe this to be honest, how the hell can you release a player with those stats, must be some player coming in to replace you.

Or Massey coming out of retirement... 😂

10 hours ago, Footy follower said:

Has always held his hands up to poor team performances and stood up for the manager and that's what he gets in return . What's your opinion Le Boss ?

10 hours ago, sportsman10 said:

Does seem an odd one who making the decisions Steve Massey or Leigh Robinson . 
Surly not bringing Matt wright back after his ban for next season. 

That gets to the root of what is happening at Helston, who is actually making the decisions regarding the first team? As mentioned on here before, you look at clubs like Mousehole, Tavistock, Falmouth and Parkway, you are never in doubt as to who is calling the shots. Not so sure at Helston.

1 hour ago, The Town Man said:

He would look good in black and amber......

Sorry but he couldn’t play for Falmouth because, as we have been told for the entire season, they only have lads who live nearby. Oh, other than JBE of course. 🤣🤣🤣

3 hours ago, mattelot said:

Has always held his hands up to poor team performances and stood up for the manager and that's what he gets in return . What's your opinion Le Boss ?

Has come as a bit of a surprise tbh but Massey must have his reasons and plans. Managers live and die by their decisions so we wait and see. JBE as a replacement maybe? How good could he be in a big team lol😉😉😉

1 hour ago, Footy Detective said:

I’m told Stu is Torbay based and he has always said it’s not about the money, but Helston is a fair ole drive from Torbay so why not play for Buckland ? Perhaps Buckland Jim would be more knowledgeable?

Stu did play for Bucks for a spell, before being unfairly told he was surplus to requirements half way through a season that was eventually curtailed. Perhaps now we have a new gaffer in charge he may return. I for one would certainly welcome him back as the club needs a proven goalscorer. 

3 hours ago, le boss said:

Sorry but he couldn’t play for Falmouth because, as we have been told for the entire season, they only have lads who live nearby. Oh, other than JBE of course. 🤣🤣🤣

Has come as a bit of a surprise tbh but Massey must have his reasons and plans. Managers live and die by their decisions so we wait and see. JBE as a replacement maybe? How good could he be in a big team lol😉😉😉

Jack likes winning things with a management that has a proven track record .Also loves a crowd with an atmosphere on match days ,wouldnt get any of that at Helston Bash .👍

Stu Bowker and JBE up front for Town, what a mouth watering prospect that would be , and Mr Masseys worst nightmare .😳

5 minutes ago, mattelot said:

Jack likes winning things with a management that has a proven track record .Also loves a crowd with an atmosphere on match days ,wouldnt get any of that at Helston Bash .👍

Stu Bowker and JBE up front for Town, what a mouth watering prospect that would be , and Mr Masseys worst nightmare .😳

But he’s not a local nige……

5 hours ago, Footy Detective said:

I’m told Stu is Torbay based and he has always said it’s not about the money, but Helston is a fair ole drive from Torbay so why not play for Buckland ? Perhaps Buckland Jim would be more knowledgeable?

He's already played for the Bucks. Those stats speak for themselves. Bowks commitment is immense. Leads the line brilliantly. Creates panic amongst opposition defenders. In my view, playing the best football of his career. A crazy decision by Mass. IMO, Bowks needed a better striking foil alongside him at Helston.

So it looks like another season of money-go- round / merry-go-round by Mass pre-season. Always short-termism rather coaching players and building team cohesion. Mass can't seem to buy a team either that delivers. The current squad should have done bettet. Some of the outgoings tho' weakened Helston during the season. People talk about player loyalty, but Mass seems to have none towards his players.

Stu B will be a loss to  Cornish football. One of a handful of players at Step 5 / 6 that don't play for my club that I love to go along and see play. Go smash it Bowks at your next club.

I’ve done my research and reckon Stuart Bowker is thirty-one. Originally growing up in Torquay myself I feel I should know more about Mr Bowker’s playing career even though it’s been many years since I last lived there having moved all over the place in the intervening years. I do know he plays cricket for Barton which I consider to be a good thing because that was the name of my primary school. 

I’ll be honest and say the name ‘Bowker’ still mainly conjures up memories of Keith Bowker who was from West Bromwich and played for Exeter City and Torquay United in the 1970s and 1980s before successfully managing Taunton Town. I dare say Stuart has been asked on many occasions if they are related. 

I’ve always suspected it’s more likely that Stuart is related to Tony Bowker who played and managed many clubs in South Devon. The first time I came across Tony Bowker as a manager was at Liverton United when I’m sure I heard him before I saw him (casting doubts, of course, that he may be related to such a retiring and deferential footballer as Stuart Bowker). On another occasion I saw Tony Bowker come on as a substitute when he was pushing fifty. That quietened him down.

I probably first read of Stuart Bowker when he and his brother Robbie scored rather a lot in that infamous 58-0 game in the old Torbay Sunday competition. However much that made Stuart’s reputation it didn’t do much for the league which was slowly falling into disrepute by then and has now vanished.

It strikes me that Stuart Bowker enjoys a higher profile - if not fame and fortune - in Cornish football circles than in Devon. Or maybe that’s because he’s slightly less notorious west of Totnes. He’s played a few games in the Southern League for Barnstaple and Bideford and I think most of his previous Western League experience was with Buckland Athletic as already mentioned in this thread.  Maybe it's now time for him to rehabilitated as a Devon football personality.   

https://www.flickr.com/photos/easterfieldlane

1 hour ago, mattelot said:

Got the team from who do you think you are, searching the archives right know.😁😂🤣

Don’t have to search the archives. You lot have been banging on about how you are all local boys blah blah blah. As far as I’m aware Torbay is covered by the very same local tv station. Just applying your logic to yourselves. If you are going to preach the holier than thou, you must have your own house in order first. 😁😁😁

1 hour ago, Easterfield said:

I’ve done my research and reckon Stuart Bowker is thirty-one. Originally growing up in Torquay myself I feel I should know more about Mr Bowker’s playing career even though it’s been many years since I last lived there having moved all over the place in the intervening years. I do know he plays cricket for Barton which I consider to be a good thing because that was the name of my primary school. 

I’ll be honest and say the name ‘Bowker’ still mainly conjures up memories of Keith Bowker who was from West Bromwich and played for Exeter City and Torquay United in the 1970s and 1980s before successfully managing Taunton Town. I dare say Stuart has been asked on many occasions if they are related. 

I’ve always suspected it’s more likely that Stuart is related to Tony Bowker who played and managed many clubs in South Devon. The first time I came across Tony Bowker as a manager was at Liverton United when I’m sure I heard him before I saw him (casting doubts, of course, that he may be related to such a retiring and deferential footballer as Stuart Bowker). On another occasion I saw Tony Bowker come on as a substitute when he was pushing fifty. That quietened him down.

I probably first read of Stuart Bowker when he and his brother Robbie scored rather a lot in that infamous 58-0 game in the old Torbay Sunday competition. However much that made Stuart’s reputation it didn’t do much for the league which was slowly falling into disrepute by then and has now vanished.

It strikes me that Stuart Bowker enjoys a higher profile - if not fame and fortune - in Cornish football circles than in Devon. Or maybe that’s because he’s slightly less notorious west of Totnes. He’s played a few games in the Southern League for Barnstaple and Bideford and I think most of his previous Western League experience was with Buckland Athletic as already mentioned in this thread.  Maybe it's now time for him to rehabilitated as a Devon football personality.   

Tony Bowker is indeed Stuart's father and his two other sons Robbie & Steve are also well known on the South Devon football circuit. 

6 hours ago, Yourhavingalaugh said:

It would be interesting to see what teams are more local than others ie least distance in total miles from their home to home ground for a squad of 14 players. Perhaps Falmouth and Helston should do that to conclude the debate.

It’s not about who is more local. It’s about preaching about a team NOT being local and one that is- apparently and then surprise surprise the completely local team signs a foreigner. Glass houses and stones come to mind. I really don’t give a flying where the players come from, just don’t like hypocritical people. As I have said many times, Westy and Milchy have done a fantastic job and have been great servants to Helston too. It’s the self-promoting circus that is the new F Troop that even some of the original F Troop find embarrassing. 

3 hours ago, Both Sides of the Tamar said:

He's already played for the Bucks. Those stats speak for themselves. Bowks commitment is immense. Leads the line brilliantly. Creates panic amongst opposition defenders. In my view, playing the best football of his career. A crazy decision by Mass. IMO, Bowks needed a better striking foil alongside him at Helston.

So it looks like another season of money-go- round / merry-go-round by Mass pre-season. Always short-termism rather coaching players and building team cohesion. Mass can't seem to buy a team either that delivers. The current squad should have done bettet. Some of the outgoings tho' weakened Helston during the season. People talk about player loyalty, but Mass seems to have none towards his players.

Stu B will be a loss to  Cornish football. One of a handful of players at Step 5 / 6 that don't play for my club that I love to go along and see play. Go smash it Bowks at your next club.

Hold that thought 😉😉 and watch this space 👌🏻👌🏻 Thank you for the kind words. I won’t get into the ins and outs of mass and his words to me and genuinely hope he’s got it right. Do I think he’s made the wrong decision yes and I’ll go and prove it this season 💛🖤

2 hours ago, Stu B said:

Hold that thought 😉😉 and watch this space 👌🏻👌🏻 Thank you for the kind words. I won’t get into the ins and outs of mass and his words to me and genuinely hope he’s got it right. Do I think he’s made the wrong decision yes and I’ll go and prove it this season 💛🖤

Is that a hint you will soon be a Falmouth player? 😜

I am told Mr Massey hasn’t won a trophy since the 90s! Gosh I was playing in the old division two back then with not a coloured boot in sight! 

You can’t win things just binning off your best players after a  season because you want to try something else . If Massey doesn’t learn to develop a team and coach a system  he going to end up winning nothing . 
Parkway need a replacement for Carter and Tom bath. Wonder if jack bray evens and bowker have been mentioned  

they took crago and Matt Andrew’s from Tavistock so they definitely look at local players 

11 hours ago, Non League fan said:

Is that a hint you will soon be a Falmouth player? 😜

I am told Mr Massey hasn’t won a trophy since the 90s! Gosh I was playing in the old division two back then with not a coloured boot in sight! 

Never got the Steve Massey hype. Just looking at the Cornish clubs, his track record doesn't even come close to Trevor Mewton or Darren Gilbert. 

18 hours ago, Easterfield said:

Columbo 😎

4 hours ago, Buckland Jim said:

Just one more thing... 😁

Found this from a very reliable sourcre on the Torquay Fans Forum: 

"Buckland’s game at Helston abandoned due to a serious injury to Stu Bowker. Bowker played for us in the Devon Bowl back in 2007."

Our Man must have been taken out of primary school for the occasion.

56 minutes ago, Easterfield said:

Found this from a very reliable sourcre on the Torquay Fans Forum: 

"Buckland’s game at Helston abandoned due to a serious injury to Stu Bowker. Bowker played for us in the Devon Bowl back in 2007."

Our Man must have been taken out of primary school for the occasion.

Interesting, didn't know that, must have been about 16 or 17 back then I'm guessing? 

10 hours ago, Stu B said:

I was 16 correct won 3-1 against Exeter City scored the 3rd goal 😉 

I wasn't at the game but I seem to remember Torquay United won the Devon St Luke's Bowl in 2007 with a rather makeshift team that included the physio making one of his periodic appearances. Mind you, that was Damian Davey - son of Steve - himself an ex-Argyle youth player. It's hardly surprisng it was an unusual line-up because the club had been relegated from the Football League just before and most of the professionals scarpered pretty quickly.    

Exeter City keep far better records of these things and I see that, when they won the competition in 2009, Veal was one of the scorers. That surely must be Craig Veal who would have been around eighteen at the time. Aaron Dawson and Connor Riley-Lowe have also scored for Exeter in the same competition as has an Oliie Watkins form Newton Abbot.

And hasn't Stu Bowker a Devon St Luke's Bowl winners' medal from this season?

As for longevity, Torquay United's historian has pointed out that Robbie Herrera's first and last games in the competition were something like thirty years apart; from appearing as a fifteen-year-old (prior to joining QPR) to making up the numbers when assistant manager.   

But it's nothing like the Cornwall Senior Cup and there's nothing like the Cornwall Senior Cup in Devon football. When it was the Devon Professional Bowl, during my childhood and before and after, it was solely contested by Exeter City, Plymouth Argyle and Torquay United. Rarely full-strength teams in front of normal league crowds but getting there on both fronts. Periodically the Bowl fell by the wayside only to be revived in various formats: knockout, roundrobin, pre-season. In time the competition was merged with the St Luke's Cup (named after the old teaching training college) for Western League clubs and, when the Peninsula was formed, extended to all clubs at step 6 and above. 

This season Plymouth Argyle and Torquay United didn't enter but Exeter's youth team (more under-17 than under-18) made it to the final. The final, like other county competitions, is played at the Devon FA at Newton Abbot. Next weekend it's the Devon Premier Cup - Beer Albion v North Molton - which would be similar to the Cornwall Intermediate but with the next rung down also included. The Devon Senior Cup is a notch down again followed by the Intermediate.

Generally speaking, I don't believe "county" events have as much profile in Devon as in Cornwall.