Millbrook Reserves         2-1           Morwenstow

Saltash United Res          1-2         Polperro

Sticker Reserves              0-1         Saltash Borough

Torpoint Athletic Res     8-0         St Dennis Reserves

WEST

Illogan RBL                        H/W      St Ives Town

St Day                                2-4         Mullion

Truro City Reserves        1-1         Redruth United

So what happened to the game at Illogan? Game off at Carharrack (Trelawney 3 - visitors did not choose to field a side) so I schlepp over to Oxland Parc when, had I known, I could have dropped in St Day. No time to get back there for the start - I hate missing the start of a game - so now I'm cutting the ruddy grass at home instead! What's up with so-called players these days, or am I being unfair?

Truro City res. 1 (0) v Redruth United 1 (1)

think the draw was a fair result with both teams competing well. Missed the start but when I got there Redruth were 1 up through Bish towards the end of the half Dan turned to shoot and hit the post.

Second half after getting a telling off in the changing room the Truro team came out with more purpose, but Redruth nearly scored when the ball bounced between two defenders and the keeper came running out and Dan toed it past him but from about 20 yards the ball trickled agonisingly just past the post. Truro we’re putting the defence under a lot of pressure and deservedly got their goal. Obviously this put their tales up but the defence held out well to keep it level till the end.

Was a little disappointed with some of the comments towards the ref Kev Knowles. One of their players fell over in the box and not for the first time so was rightly booked. Such a shame because they do play some lovely football.

must have been at least 50 watching and thanks to the ladies for the refreshments.

• Dave Deacon changed the title to RESULTS - Saturday 16 April 2022
11 minutes ago, BrummyBarry said:

That's brilliant. Isn't their a premier League linesman that sometimes refs down here too?

Yes, Simon Long is a Premier League assistant and steps into the middle down here when he is available.

Lee Swabey is Plymouth based but is the head of referees for the Cornwall FA.

I took in the St Day game today and, despite two very questionable, borderline farcical decisions from the referee; both teams and benches conducted themselves very well. 

There are several teams and players that would have made that afternoon extremely unpleasant for a referee after those decisions.

35 minutes ago, FootballChat said:

I took in the St Day game today and, despite two very questionable, borderline farcical decisions from the referee; both teams and benches conducted themselves very well. 

There are several teams and players that would have made that afternoon extremely unpleasant for a referee after those decisions.

Which two decisions? 

34 minutes ago, FootballChat said:

The decision to judge whether a ball is over the line from 25 yards away. Twice.

Two moments of madness from what looked to be an otherwise competent official.

I was at the end Mullion were defending in the 2nd half so I didn’t get a good view of their “did it / didn’t it cross the line” goal so will withhold comment, but for the St Day goal the linesman (the linesman provided by Mullion) was perfectly in line and signalled “goal” instantaneously as the ball (in his opinion) crossed the line. Not sure where you were standing so you may have had an even better view than me, but if you have an issue with the St Day goal then your issue is with the linesman rather than the referee. 

I can imagine that without trained linesman that you get in the higher league's like peninsular, you seldom get them at club level who are able to keep up with play and be positioned at the right place at the right time. Surlely a ref wouldn't allow a goal if he wasn't certain a ball had crossed the line so maybe on these occasions he was correct? The Saint Piran games I've seen so far often give me the feeling that the refs are of a good standard I'm yet to see one yet where I thought he's terrible 

47 minutes ago, FootballChat said:

The decision to judge whether a ball is over the line from 25 yards away. Twice.

Two moments of madness from what looked to be an otherwise competent official.

Perhaps you didn’t agree with the decisions, that’s your prerogative. However, what would you suggest the referee does? I can’t see how you can describe “the decision to judge whether the ball is over the line from 25 yards away” as “borderline farcical”. If you’d like to criticize the performance and/or decision of a referee, please provide some constructive feedback or suggest what you’d do differently if you were in that situation. 

31 minutes ago, BrummyBarry said:

I can imagine that without trained linesman that you get in the higher league's like peninsular, you seldom get them at club level who are able to keep up with play and be positioned at the right place at the right time. Surlely a ref wouldn't allow a goal if he wasn't certain a ball had crossed the line so maybe on these occasions he was correct? The Saint Piran games I've seen so far often give me the feeling that the refs are of a good standard I'm yet to see one yet where I thought he's terrible 

Absolutely, I couldn’t agree more. The majority of St Piran league referees have served a couple of seasons minimum. They all undergo a laws exam and a fitness test. Yes, they make mistakes! So does every referee/player. Even top referees do, it’s good to see people like you recognize that. Unfortunately some people feel that referees are robots and not human!

6 minutes ago, eagleeyes said:

Perhaps you didn’t agree with the decisions, that’s your prerogative. However, what would you suggest the referee does? I can’t see how you can describe “the decision to judge whether the ball is over the line from 25 yards away” as “borderline farcical”. If you’d like to criticize the performance and/or decision of a referee, please provide some constructive feedback or suggest what you’d do differently if you were in that situation. 

Absolutely, I couldn’t agree more. The majority of St Piran league referees have served a couple of seasons minimum. They all undergo a laws exam and a fitness test. Yes, they make mistakes! So does every referee/player. Even top referees do, it’s good to see people like you recognize that. Unfortunately some people feel that referees are robots and not human!

I remember talking to a young chap a few months ago after he'd had a difficult game. I thought he did a great job and it made me realise that just like players they have emotions. Players at this level make 20+ mistakes a game and nothing is said but if a referee makes one, they are often criticized to the hills on forums and social media platforms

1 minute ago, BrummyBarry said:

I remember talking to a young chap a few months ago after he'd had a difficult game. I thought he did a great job and it made me realise that just like players they have emotions. Players at this level make 20+ mistakes a game and nothing is said but if a referee makes one, they are often criticized to the hills on forums and social media platforms

Absolutely! Referees beat themselves up for days after making an error, particularly if it’s had a big impact on the game. Lots of people don’t see that side of it. 

3 hours ago, eagleeyes said:

If you’d like to criticize the performance and/or decision of a referee, please provide some constructive feedback or suggest what you’d do differently if you were in that situation. 

My suggestion would be to get a better position to make that important call.

It would have been nearly impossible to accurately judge such a tight call from so far away.

To be clear; I’ve stated that, besides these 2 decisions, I thought the referee had a relatively good game in tough circumstances.

What a league and season to be part of, it’s a shame that st Ives couldn’t raise a side today but it is what it is, not the way we wanted to win the league but that said is there a bad way to win it? Credit to mullion today as got the win and gave us the league title, massive scenes at the final whistle and a great day for us

6 hours ago, FootballChat said:

My suggestion would be to get a better position to make that important call.

It would have been nearly impossible to accurately judge such a tight call from so far away.

To be clear; I’ve stated that, besides these 2 decisions, I thought the referee had a relatively good game in tough circumstances.

How far away was he? You can see a goal line from the edge of the box and sometimes the grounds have lumps in the goal mouths to allow water to run (if I'm right penzance's goal areas are quite prominent as an example) so it would be relatively easy to see a ball cross the line from 15-20 yards away and even more if the ref is at an angle? He must have been sure they were goals so well done him for making those important calls which he probably knew would be met with resistance

Saltash United 1 Polperro 2

Relatively good game at Waterway, once Polperro got 2 in front they defended like demons and whilst Ashes got one back, Polperro deserved the win. 

Well ref’d by Neil Hunninsett who didn’t get a foot wrong nor his decisions. Have to say, some would have sin binned an Ashes player for back chat but he used his experience to keep it 11 v 11 throughout. 

The only reason a referee is needed is to invke the rules when players, (most of whom can do no wrong ) forget them.
A professional referee and linesman have been mentioned in this thread, but it's a good bet that they have both had their fair share of criticism from those involved in the professional game whose opinion is based on a perfect interpretation of the rules however near or far they may be from an incident.
I have had my fair share of disagreements with refs in the pro game, but often on reflection they were closer to the correctness of their decision than me.
I never did meet the perfect ref, or for that matter certainly not the perfect player either.

1 hour ago, davegrose said:

He was well worth his fee yesterday,like I sed the best we've had all season,others could learn a lot from this guy.

As I'm sure any Football League player could teach a St Piran player a thing or two. Herein lies the issue. You have players at Step 7 expecting the officials to be Step 1 ability.

12 hours ago, BrummyBarry said:

made me realise that just like players they have emotions.

Who'd would have thought?

3 hours ago, Philheybrookbay said:

Saltash United 1 Polperro 2

Relatively good game at Waterway, once Polperro got 2 in front they defended like demons and whilst Ashes got one back, Polperro deserved the win. 

Well ref’d by Neil Hunninsett who didn’t get a foot wrong nor his decisions. Have to say, some would have sin binned an Ashes player for back chat but he used his experience to keep it 11 v 11 throughout. 

Fair report and agree on Neil’s performance; always good to have a referee of his quality and experience in a competitive game like this.

7 hours ago, BrummyBarry said:

How far away was he? You can see a goal line from the edge of the box and sometimes the grounds have lumps in the goal mouths to allow water to run (if I'm right penzance's goal areas are quite prominent as an example) so it would be relatively easy to see a ball cross the line from 15-20 yards away and even more if the ref is at an angle? He must have been sure they were goals so well done him for making those important calls which he probably knew would be met with resistance

As a qualified assistant if I am not in line defenders or attackers give me grief but you young man are saying he should be able to see it from the edge of the box. In St. Pirans league clubs are supposed to have a qualified assistant 

28 minutes ago, Postman Pat said:

As a qualified assistant if I am not in line defenders or attackers give me grief but you young man are saying he should be able to see it from the edge of the box. In St. Pirans league clubs are supposed to have a qualified assistant 

No I'm not saying he should be able to see it from the edge of the box as that is silly. I'm saying it is possible to see it from the edge of the box if the club has raised goalmouth areas, which you see quite often. 

2 hours ago, Ian Hunn said:

I think you will find that this game was conceeded by Callington due to a lack of players so as far as we are concerned at St Dominick the points will be awarded to us!!

That hasn’t been confirmed yet though has it!?

Until an appeal is heard regarding other issues I wouldn’t be so sure.

1 hour ago, Ian Hunn said:

I have just been told by Steve Carpenter that there are complications with awarding the points to St Dominick at this stage so we will let the league make their decision  in the coming days.

Exactly my point. And the answer to awarding points at this time is no then.

On 16/04/2022 at 21:46, GaryHocking said:

I was at the end Mullion were defending in the 2nd half so I didn’t get a good view of their “did it / didn’t it cross the line” goal so will withhold comment, but for the St Day goal the linesman (the linesman provided by Mullion) was perfectly in line and signalled “goal” instantaneously as the ball (in his opinion) crossed the line. Not sure where you were standing so you may have had an even better view than me, but if you have an issue with the St Day goal then your issue is with the linesman rather than the referee. 

I also took this game in and was stood near to the linesman in question. He certainly didnt flag for the goal, he was bemused as the rest of us when the goal was given. He was flagging to the ref that he had made a mistake. A brave call from the ref making a decision like that from the edge of the box. Even the St Day bench couldnt believe their luck!

5 minutes ago, GaryHocking said:

Fair enough - that’s not how I saw it but if you actually spoke to the linesman and that’s what he said to you then clearly I misunderstood his reaction - happy to withdraw my earlier description. 

Have to admit Gary, I got the feeling that the Mullion lino (Graeme Allen I think - brilliant midfielder in his time) was standing there rather surprised by the goal being given! However, by what the Mullion keeper said later, the ball might have gone over his line in the first half which wasn't seen and so things evened out! :)

18 minutes ago, GaryHocking said:

Happy to hold my hands up when I get something wrong - and clearly I got that one wrong. 

Not a problem Gary - you're in the minority on this forum in particular when it comes to honesty, i'm a bit old school when it comes to what is said - more than happy to admit im wrong.... part of living 40+ years with my wife lol