Cornwall Football Forum

Referee Shortage. FA Vase Manor Farm Bristol.

Following on from the thread on this page a few weeks ago, take a look at this from the FA Vase on Saturday. Not too far from Cornwall and not too far from scenes we are seeing more and more regularly.

Some absolutely reprehensible behaviour which needs stamping out.

The scariest thing is, if you read the comments below you'll see numbskulls say things such as 'If he reffed better he wouldn't get such a reaction and 'ref must have had a shocker'.

Grown men. Grown men ffs!

You quite correct. Unfortunately this happens most weeks. Seen it myself. Just this was fortunately captured on camera for everyone to see . 
we have a manager serving a long ban in our local league who has been defended saying it was the ref fault etc etc 

like I’ve said before won’t be long till their no refs to have a game on weekends. 
hope the manager in the video  is  never involved in football again   But likely he get a ban and be back again 

While I’ve no doubt that indefensible incidents like this are more common elsewhere, we are *relatively* lucky in Cornwall. 

Having been involved in local football for the last 20 odd years, I can’t recall that many incidents like this in that time.

We all know referees get grief on a regular basis, however; the vast majority of it is over and done with once the final whistle goes.

When something like the above takes place, the FA simply HAVE to take the sternest possible action to make a statement. And make that decision and punishment public knowledge. Name, shame and use it as a tool to try and make idiots think twice before it happens again.

1 hour ago, Keith B said:

I'm glad that the players stood between him and the referee. It's all very well as some have said, 'it happens somewhere every week' - it shouldn't happen. This individual needs to be made an example of, to try and deter others from doing it. The FA should make it mandatory that all such behaviour will not be tolerated and that appropriate long bans be made.

Well said

The fact is, everyone accepts it. People see it as 'competitive' or 'showing passion'. We are inundated with toxic thugs in the game and everyone pulls the wool over it!

7 minutes ago, St Darren said:

My first thoughts were.... Blimey, how bad must the referee have been, what did he do wrong? 

No defending the actions of the manager though, you can't do that. 

On another note, games at that level will always have referees and assistants, they get paid, they're not volunteers. 

A bit concerning that your first thought is about the referee’s performance rather than their safety. Says it all really.

16 minutes ago, St Darren said:

I think the referee was safe with the players stopping the manager, doesn't excuse it though! 

But yeah, my initial reaction was, what made the manager go off like thst

Just trying to read between the lines with your comment, i assume you're after some sort of context? To an extent, I also considered this.

"what made the manager go off like that?" Genuine question, if its simply the ref didn't give his side a penalty or something like that, then it only heightens the embarrassing actions shown by the manager, as this is a standard decision given on a Saturday. It does sound as if the manager is saying "you're a f****** liar", i presume aimed at the ref. 

I hope the ref (and assistants) are not put off by this incident. To be held back by your own players is shocking behaviour and i hope the FA send a strong message. From the footage, I'd of hate to have seen what would have happened if players hadnt intervened..... all over a football match at the end of the day.

6 minutes ago, SCFC said:

Just trying to read between the lines with your comment, i assume you're after some sort of context? To an extent, I also considered this.

"what made the manager go off like that?" Genuine question, if its simply the ref didn't give his side a penalty or something like that, then it only heightens the embarrassing actions shown by the manager, as this is a standard decision given on a Saturday. It does sound as if the manager is saying "you're a f****** liar", i presume aimed at the ref. 

I hope the ref (and assistants) are not put off by this incident. To be held back by your own players is shocking behaviour and i hope the FA send a strong message. From the footage, I'd of hate to have seen what would have happened if players hadnt intervened..... all over a football match at the end of the day.

There's a reason why someone would react like that, I'm not defending it at all, but what triggered him to be like that?? 

I completely agree with older. Lifetime ban from the game and get rid of dross like that. The issue becomes whether the FA have it in their remit to be able to do it? No use the local FA banning him for life if the FA can’t uphold the appeal that’s bound to come. 
If his club have any shred of dignity they’d sack him.