Cornwall Football Forum

Ryan Richards playing for parkway

I saw saltash captain and striker Ryan RIchards was playing for parkway today. Not sure if he was helping out or had signed permanently ,but have to ask the question what saltash feel about their star man playing for parkway??  what if he got injured and was out for 2 months . What are saltashs ambition . Just seems an odd one when he signed to a club that want to win a title. 

It also begs the question why are parkway having to lean on players from the SWPL. They gave it the massive one about taking promotion, got rid of their reserves and now it seems can’t cope. 

Last week borrowed 2 players from Tavistock, Today Ryan Richards and others earlier in the season. 

How must regular squad members who are sub feel watching these outsiders going straight into the starting line up?

I cant imagine Saltash are happy at all at their captain playing for parkway but the player won’t be under contract so no rules broken. Perhaps just a bit disrespectful. 

24 minutes ago, ontheball2014 said:

Wouldn't be happy if I was a saltash supporter. What if he got injured?

I would say he is being a greedy little ****.

“Greedy little ****”. Who do you think you are? These players aren’t on thousands a week, who are you to begrudge someone who works everyday a little extra cash at the weekend?! 

4 hours ago, Hetty said:

It also begs the question why are parkway having to lean on players from the SWPL. They gave it the massive one about taking promotion, got rid of their reserves and now it seems can’t cope. 

What are you talking about? Parkway have never claimed that other swpl players would never be able to get into their team. There have always been plenty of step 5 standard players in the league. The rules allow players to play for clubs in a different league. Parkway are playing to the rules. What would you rather Parkway do, sign loads of players permanently and never play them? How are they not coping? The club is comfortably in the top half of the table and won away in the Les Phillips cup. 

where are the players that got them promoted? 

Wouldn’t it have not been more sensible to keep their reserve team?

Drafting in players every week does suggest that the current squad is struggling to cope with the demands of this division. 

Beven, Lorenz, Crago, Elliott, Richards have all helped out parkway while supposed regular members of the squad sit on the bench. Why ? 

Richards got dragged at half time, how much would he have picked up for 45 minutes work?  Wouldn’t it have been much more satisfying for the club to bring someone through from a reserve team today (probably for a franction of the cost ) 

I understand that Parkway arnt breaking any rules. However the club want to give an image that they are embarking on a project to go through the leagues yet, to me having to borrow players when they don’t have a game themselves just smacks as a club that are fudging it. 

Other clubs are in the SWPL are ‘borrowing’ players from parkway for midweek games, Krac at Bodmin, Carter at Torpoint. So what’s the problem if parkway want to pay a silly amount of money to a SWPL player for 45 minutes work 

from what I saw yesterday, parkway were not that great and limped to a win against bottom of the league team from Gloucester who don’t even pay their players anything!

As a Parkway fan, I do have mixed thoughts on this. There is a glut of injuries at Parkway currently,I understand Farkins, Yetton and Joyce being on the match even though they are all unfit to start. I know that no rules are being broken, and that it is general practice in local football, but I'm not sure though how good it is for the team and its performances that players are brought in at short notice depending on availability. For example, Ryan Richards, Jack Crago, Tyler Elliott, Mike Landricombe and Callum Hall have all played recently after a full 90 minutes in the previous 24 hours  (less in some instances), and I wonder how this affects their performances and susceptibility to injuries.  I know the merits of a reserve team at Parkway have been debated at length in other threads, but it would have been very useful at the moment. Looking at Tavistock, who also seem to be suffering with injuries, they seem to be utilising players from their ECPL and under 18 sides to fill gaps and give opportunities to promising youngsters.

6 minutes ago, skinner said:

what is going to happen next year will south west peninsula players duel sign for two clubs for instance saltash in peninsula and millbrook in new step seven cornwall league

Not sure of your examples being applicable, but yes they'll be able to do so. Likewise Penryn in Step 7 and play anyone from Combo

14 minutes ago, leedsunited said:

This blooming new league is going to be a joke. The standard will be shocking, I am not in favour of it at all. Clubs should earn the right to play in the top league, not get special treatment because you have floodlights. Pathetic. 

Agreed Leeds. Just because some teams don't want to travel an extra 45 minutes a whole league is created which will seriously lower the standard. Bodmin and Falmouth etc should be playing Tavistock and Exmouth etc. not some pub team and winning 15-0.

I just feel clubs like saltash ,Tavistock etc have more respect  as they  seem to be building a club the right way they use the 2nd team and under 18  And players have a chance to progress . What do parkway see as progress ? They have youth teams and then no progression at all. Just money to throw at local players the managers know when results take a dip  . Feel sorry for the lads that not injured on the bench and basically told they are not good enough 

3 hours ago, skinner said:

what is going to happen next year will south west peninsula players duel sign for two clubs for instance saltash in peninsula and millbrook in new step seven cornwall league

There a meeting on Wednesday to discuss the new set up for cornwall in more detail

The new league will benefit Devonian clubs as it will open up a pathway for promotion. A Devon swpl with no Parkway or Tavi will open the door for the likes of Exmouth to go up. A Western league that could have 5 Devon clubs next season (if Barnstaple go down) will be more enticing. Cornish clubs however could become more isolated. Some argue that more local derbies will lead to better crowds. I doubt this is the case. Bodmin for example got far better crowds against Parkway/Argyle than against Camelford. Will interesting to see if any Cornish clubs change their opinion on promotion. St Austell get really good crowds and the club has real potential. With regards to Parkway, football is different at this level. If you have too big a squad, players will become disillusioned with a lack of game time. Bringing swpl players seems to be a good solution to injury problems.

3 hours ago, sportsman10 said:

I just feel clubs like saltash ,Tavistock etc have more respect  as they  seem to be building a club the right way they use the 2nd team and under 18  And players have a chance to progress . What do parkway see as progress ? They have youth teams and then no progression at all. Just money to throw at local players the managers know when results take a dip  . Feel sorry for the lads that not injured on the bench and basically told they are not good enough 

100% agree with this. Clubs like Tavistock and Saltash are the local example on how a club should be run. 

23 minutes ago, Hetty said:

100% agree with this. Clubs like Tavistock and Saltash are the local example on how a club should be run. 

They both Also set very high playing standards to which will be missed when this new bloody league format comes in to place. It seems to me like the 'hirachy' are accomodating the lower league clubs, giving them an Olive branch back in to the good league, & in the process it will almost kill the standard of the Swpl that's of present. With good Devon sides moving out to being replaced with a Cornish Division One West clubs with floodlights. 

2 hours ago, Rob1978 said:

The new league will benefit Devonian clubs as it will open up a pathway for promotion. A Devon swpl with no Parkway or Tavi will open the door for the likes of Exmouth to go up. A Western league that could have 5 Devon clubs next season (if Barnstaple go down) will be more enticing. Cornish clubs however could become more isolated. Some argue that more local derbies will lead to better crowds. I doubt this is the case. Bodmin for example got far better crowds against Parkway/Argyle than against Camelford. Will interesting to see if any Cornish clubs change their opinion on promotion. St Austell get really good crowds and the club has real potential. With regards to Parkway, football is different at this level. If you have too big a squad, players will become disillusioned with a lack of game time. Bringing swpl players seems to be a good solution to injury problems.

This man speaks a lot of sense. Parkway are in the middle of an injury crisis, they have players signed on as cover and, when needed, they play. As mentioned in another post, both Krac and Carter have played for SWPL sides this year, yet no one moaned for a minute about players being 'borrowed' from Parkway rather than reserve players/youth players being given a chance. It's pathetic. Parkway have ambition and have been promoted, the Cornish sides have no ambition other than being big fish in small ponds. Maybe these players who have played for Parkway will want to challenge themselves in a higher league with better teams now they've tasted it? What would all you naysayers say then? 

2 hours ago, gingerninja said:

This man speaks a lot of sense. Parkway are in the middle of an injury crisis, they have players signed on as cover and, when needed, they play. As mentioned in another post, both Krac and Carter have played for SWPL sides this year, yet no one moaned for a minute about players being 'borrowed' from Parkway rather than reserve players/youth players being given a chance. It's pathetic. Parkway have ambition and have been promoted, the Cornish sides have no ambition other than being big fish in small ponds. Maybe these players who have played for Parkway will want to challenge themselves in a higher league with better teams now they've tasted it? What would all you naysayers say then? 

I think it’s more a case of these players picking up easy money, not testing themselves at a higher level.  I suspect they don’t care if they win or lose in a parkway shirt.  

17 hours ago, Hetty said:

I think it’s more a case of these players picking up easy money, not testing themselves at a higher level.  I suspect they don’t care if they win or lose in a parkway shirt.  

Strong statement. Don't think you can accuse Shane Krac in particular of not being committed, same also goes for Adam Carter. Both players (and most others) want to be associated with sides that win trophies for the sake of their reputations, and Parkway have been pretty good at this over the last few years.

1 minute ago, Way Of The Park said:

Strong statement. Don't think you can accuse Shane Krac in particular of not being committed, same also goes for Adam Carter. Both players (and most others) want to be associated with sides that win trophies for the sake of their reputations, and Parkway have been pretty good at this over the last few years.

Talking about players who play for parkway on a one off basis not the regular members of their squad 

Local footballers are getting a chance to test themselves at step 5, whilst still playing for their local team. If anyone else other than Parkway we’re doing this, I expect there would be no complaints. Most of Parkway’s preseason games were against swpl sides. Parkway still turned up for the charity bowl this year. This is not a club that has forgotten its roots. 

1 hour ago, sportsman10 said:

Still like to hear a  Saltash view point on the   player turning out for another team pretty much the day after their own game. When he could be resting up for the next important game saltash had. 

Fourth-five minutes is little more than a warm down from the previous evening, I doubt he even broke sweat! Most of us have to pay for a workout!

2 hours ago, sportsman10 said:

Still like to hear a  Saltash view point on the   player turning out for another team pretty much the day after their own game. When he could be resting up for the next important game saltash had. 

What does it matter? It's not like we're talking professional level here. Most players play on a Sunday for a local pub side, or 5 a side during the week. It's a standard thing, they just want to play football

On 28/10/2018 at 17:08, Rob1978 said:

Bodmin against Camelford is a local derby