Cornwall Football Forum

Yet again no ref yet

Funny how players are getting the blame for treatment of referees. Refs get more protection from players now than they ever did. Back in the day there were stories of refs clothes being taken out of his dressing room & thrown over the hedge, refs chased across the parkby angry fans Etc. & that was just at Malabar FC, never mind every other club ???

I feel that the CCFA should put as much effort into recruiting new refs as struggling clubs do to recruit new players. 

2 hours ago, Roy D said:

Funny how players are getting the blame for treatment of referees. Refs get more protection from players now than they ever did. Back in the day there were stories of refs clothes being taken out of his dressing room & thrown over the hedge, refs chased across the parkby angry fans Etc. & that was just at Malabar FC, never mind every other club ???

I feel that the CCFA should put as much effort into recruiting new refs as struggling clubs do to recruit new players. 

Nope, it was just Malabar  that behaved like that.

Biggest fight I was ever involved in was with that bunch!

Being a proud Malabar lad I can’t have those accusations thrown at the club like that!! Although I do remember Pablo pushing the ref off his pushbike out Baldhu for disallowing 3 goals when I was about 14 and a skinny left winger which is hard to believe in itself!! RIP Malabar FC ?

10 hours ago, RAPPO said:

Being a proud Malabar lad I can’t have those accusations thrown at the club like that!! Although I do remember Pablo pushing the ref off his pushbike out Baldhu for disallowing 3 goals when I was about 14 and a skinny left winger which is hard to believe in itself!! RIP Malabar FC ?

LOL .....you know how bad they could be.

Senior cup , this weekend as well ,  last weekend there was also a combo game cancelled because no ref available ,  over the past couple of seasons some have retired , a friend of mine has taken up the whistle but unfortunately  he has had to work on Saturday's,   several factors  have lead to the shortage , and the usual they get paid lol , who wants to get shouted at , swore at , and ridiculed on social media ,  for two hours on a Saturday,  the other classic well they don't have to put up with it , well perhaps they are not and finding other past times ,  support them , make them welcome  at your ground , invite them for a drink after the game , they do it because they love football just like you and me , talk to them   majority  have worked in the morning before a game and like us are rushing to get to a game .  We all have bad games be it players ,managers , ref or linos  ,  but leave it on the pitch  .

49 minutes ago, stevieb said:

Senior cup , this weekend as well ,  last weekend there was also a combo game cancelled because no ref available ,  over the past couple of seasons some have retired , a friend of mine has taken up the whistle but unfortunately  he has had to work on Saturday's,   several factors  have lead to the shortage , and the usual they get paid lol , who wants to get shouted at , swore at , and ridiculed on social media ,  for two hours on a Saturday,  the other classic well they don't have to put up with it , well perhaps they are not and finding other past times ,  support them , make them welcome  at your ground , invite them for a drink after the game , they do it because they love football just like you and me , talk to them   majority  have worked in the morning before a game and like us are rushing to get to a game .  We all have bad games be it players ,managers , ref or linos  ,  but leave it on the pitch  .

Well said also club linesman being verbally attacked last sat our linesman being swored at and abused by chap and his lady partner with a child with them from the grandstand at illogan 

Week before the same at Perranporth

(Tongue in cheek)

I blame today's modern women and the weakness of modern man.

Too much say the ladies have!

If they say "No football, no refereeing, I want you Saturday" then the modern man gives in just for the peaceful life.

Years ago Friday nights and football on Saturdays was a man's time. The ladies new it. Nowadays they want too take over!

We men must stand up to them, take back our pub time on Friday evenings, take back your Saturdays for football. 

Come-on lads build your backbone.

14 minutes ago, cornishteddyboy said:

(Tongue in cheek)

I blame today's modern women and the weakness of modern man.

Too much say the ladies have!

If they say "No football, no refereeing, I want you Saturday" then the modern man gives in just for the peaceful life.

Years ago Friday nights and football on Saturdays was a man's time. The ladies new it. Nowadays they want too take over!

We men must stand up to them, take back our pub time on Friday evenings, take back your Saturdays for football. 

Come-on lads build your backbone.

I take it you're single? 

Lmfao.

Just an idea, but would it be benificial for some teams (maybe reserves teams) to drop out of Saturday footi altogether and join the Sunday league? The Sunday league seems very short on teams these days.

But again with ladies, vets and youth footi all being played Sundays they are probably short of refs on Sundays too!

14 hours ago, Ballsup said:

I think games need to be staggered otherwise there is going to be a massive backlog again come next April/May. CCFA/Paul Murphy need to consider this. 

Fixturing hasn't got anything to do with the county - this is down to the leagues.

We have asked our clubs to consider early kick offs so that refs like myself can do two games in a day. It is up to the club's to decide whether they want to do this - many decline. That is their choice.

For me, I'd like to have 5 games a week with an 11am kick off - however this would require a rule change. It Is one I doubt our clubs would agree too 

The problem is us. The people who love and play the “beautiful game”. It is losing its beauty. Certain people are cut-out to referee. There will always be referees. More people are cut-out to (want) to play. They key to this is hoping to deliver ex-players into becoming referees. Now there are many reasons why a very large percentage will not make this transition. But there is still enough left that should they make that step, we would have enough. But most will not. Why? Again, many reasons. Personally, and I speak from experience, I participate in being a “local ref” should we not have one, I don’t need the hassle. It is not a pleasurable experience. It is a task that has little appeal. You have to try to keep up with the game, arguably covering the pitch more than any single player. You need to make judgements every few seconds, literally, seconds, aiming to be fair, throughout an hour and a half, trying to fairly give free-kicks (or play advantage), throw-ins, goal-kicks, penalties, handballs, offsides, etc etc. Half the time, each side is looking for/expecting the decision in their favour. “OUR BALL!!” echoes around from both sets of players each time the ball goes over the touch line. 99% of players know whose throw it is, but still appeal. The constant moaning you have to take. And then there is the more sinister side, which I can say I have avoided (when reffing). But witnessing local football as I have done over many years, the aggressive and sometimes violent behaviour, accusations, threats, swearing. Who needs it. Players know, and I’m a player, that our game can degenerate into chaos. How many games recently have descended into non-events, teams not wanting to continue, refs abandoning the games and so on. Players, and non-playing club officials are ruining the game. Not enough referees? Look in the mirror chaps.

21 minutes ago, Mangle said:

The problem is us. The people who love and play the “beautiful game”. It is losing its beauty. Certain people are cut-out to referee. There will always be referees. More people are cut-out to (want) to play. They key to this is hoping to deliver ex-players into becoming referees. Now there are many reasons why a very large percentage will not make this transition. But there is still enough left that should they make that step, we would have enough. But most will not. Why? Again, many reasons. Personally, and I speak from experience, I participate in being a “local ref” should we not have one, I don’t need the hassle. It is not a pleasurable experience. It is a task that has little appeal. You have to try to keep up with the game, arguably covering the pitch more than any single player. You need to make judgements every few seconds, literally, seconds, aiming to be fair, throughout an hour and a half, trying to fairly give free-kicks (or play advantage), throw-ins, goal-kicks, penalties, handballs, offsides, etc etc. Half the time, each side is looking for/expecting the decision in their favour. “OUR BALL!!” echoes around from both sets of players each time the ball goes over the touch line. 99% of players know whose throw it is, but still appeal. The constant moaning you have to take. And then there is the more sinister side, which I can say I have avoided (when reffing). But witnessing local football as I have done over many years, the aggressive and sometimes violent behaviour, accusations, threats, swearing. Who needs it. Players know, and I’m a player, that our game can degenerate into chaos. How many games recently have descended into non-events, teams not wanting to continue, refs abandoning the games and so on. Players, and non-playing club officials are ruining the game. Not enough referees? Look in the mirror chaps.

Well said Mangle   very good post  , another volunteer  trying  to keep our local football going ,  treasure them  .

39 minutes ago, Mangle said:

Lack of discipline in the world in general has become the norm I'm afraid.

Liberal policies....reap what you sow.

Upset your mum or dad in my day....Watch out!

Bring back hanging!!! erm...maybe the birch.