Cornwall Football Forum

What new teams are applying to join?

3 hours ago, cornishteddyboy said:

Rumour has it Marazion Blues might be on the way out as well. Surprised if true. Not lack of players but lack of support re backroom volunteers.

Madron possibly applying to enter a Reserve side as well.

Madron would not be able to as cant have two teams in the same league

Gwinear will be looking to put a reserve team into the league

As first team Manager I have struggled to keep all my players happy with pitch time and most weeks having to turn away players with Squad size.

With this and also being approached by a large volume of players we cant support all this interest with one team.

Fingers crossed we get the support of the league to help the club accommodate the players who's clubs are not participating in the league next year

On 14/05/2017 at 19:07, zebedee said:

Rumour that Fourlanes res are moving to Gwinear ???

Praze 

constantine 

probus

tms

goonhavern 

all looking for entry to league 

Some of these clubs only disbanded a very short time ago. Surely not much has changed, other than starting in a lower league on going on an ego trip.

The last time I played at praze in the Sunday league our changing room was appalling, holes in the floor and a big puddle in the middle. Now I know you don't play footy in the changing rooms, but the pitch wasn't much better. Uncut,poor lines, goals and nets falling down.

8 hours ago, Portreathlegend said:

Gwinear will be looking to put a reserve team into the league

As first team Manager I have struggled to keep all my players happy with pitch time and most weeks having to turn away players with Squad size.

With this and also being approached by a large volume of players we cant support all this interest with one team.

Fingers crossed we get the support of the league to help the club accommodate the players who's clubs are not participating in the league next year

So why was you playing so much??? 

47 minutes ago, S Abbo said:

So why was you playing so much??? 

Bit of advice bundi, wouldn't put all your eggs in one basket with the other team folding thing... and the manager of one of those teams plus a group of that teams players coming too help form this new side.... Especially as they may have alternative offers on the table also!!!

And it's the support of other clubs you need as there ones vote you in come agm time 

On Thursday, May 18, 2017 at 16:45, Postman Pat said:

I think praze would play and share with mariners at nancegollen

Yeah they probably would for **** sake really not good!!! Our pitch was in fantastic shape all season and even looked awesome at the end of the season with just us playing on it and now looks like bloody praze are back ?

27 minutes ago, fudge said:

Yeah they probably would for **** sake really not good!!! Our pitch was in fantastic shape all season and even looked awesome at the end of the season with just us playing on it and now looks like bloody praze are back ?

Wasn't the fact they played there due to first teams manager not being allowed at that ground or something maybe if different management may Play at the pitch praze have most of the time just before you enter the village 

Yeah praze had there own pitch there 2nd team played there but 1st team manager like you said wasnt allowed at the pitch and i belive the same guy will be running the side again which means there be at mariners pitch again ?

On 22 May 2017 at 21:51, fudge said:

I can't for the life of me see how st Ives (10-15 miles away?) complaining about praze (not even 1 mile) away from nancegollen have any right to do so? They probably have more right to play there than you do!

• 2 weeks later...
On Friday, May 26, 2017 at 13:31, Sijames said:

I can't for the life of me see how st Ives (10-15 miles away?) complaining about praze (not even 1 mile) away from nancegollen have any right to do so? They probably have more right to play there than you do!

St ives mariners have played there for over 20 seasons!!!! Invited there by a ledgend who ran the crown inn team so i think we have right to play there!

1 hour ago, fudge said:

St ives mariners have played there for over 20 seasons!!!! Invited there by a ledgend who ran the crown inn team so i think we have right to play there!

Slightly wrong Fudge.

St Ives Mariners, formed in 1994 played at St Ives Rugby Club before moving to Nancegollan around 2008.

On 05/06/2017 at 22:58, fudge said:

Hmmm dnt think i am ? 

Formed 1992 actually ?

I'll happily apologise if I am wrong but quoting the CCFA handbooks from 2005/06, 2006/07, 2008/09 and 2009/10 all have St Ives Mariners being formed in 1994. The 2008/09 handbook is the first to list you as a Nancegollan based team.

heard Perranwell AFC applying for a second team. Where will these players come from as no U16 youth team to feed?

does this mean they will be looking to take players from other clubs in area??

enough teams struggling already and another team setting up with no feeder team will either fail or mean another local team folds.

3 minutes ago, Footballfollower said:

heard Perranwell AFC applying for a second team. Where will these players come from as no U16 youth team to feed?

does this mean they will be looking to take players from other clubs in area??

enough teams struggling already and another team setting up with no feeder team will either fail or mean another local team folds.

You have a vote at the AGM so use it  if you feel so strongly a bout certain clubs , teams entering the league , it is down to clubs in the end if and what you want your league to do for you .

1 hour ago, stevieb said:

You have a vote at the AGM so use it  if you feel so strongly a bout certain clubs , teams entering the league , it is down to clubs in the end if and what you want your league to do for you .

this is not about Perranwell in particular...more to do with where are these players are going to come from?? If needing to set up a new team and have to get players from other teams in area, then surely not sustainable??

you tell me, where these extra players are coming from?

I haven't looked at the stats in detail but I am aware that over 900 (I think) players who were registered to the Trelawny League in 2015/2016 did not re-register in 2016-2017. There are many players around this area who didn't play last season who may well return. Players could come from that pot, yes some may come from other clubs but one thing you have to bare in mind... there have been quite a few teams that have ceased to exist in the last few seasons in this area. That means that there are fewer clubs for people to join.

Now, the way I see it is that these teams are applying to join the league because the committee are sure they can field a side for the season. There has been very little activity on this forum for teams recruiting players, despite the fact that as we all know, management don't rest. There is plenty of recruitment going on in the backround. That has a hidden message in itself, I like to think.

Teams will soon begin pre-season training and its then that we will see what clubs may struggle for numbers. Hopefully, there are enough players to go around.

We can do more though, we all know people who have decided to leave the game... Let's find out why and see if we can get them back into the game.

There will be clubs that struggle for numbers, particularly until the cricket season ends, but hopefully with hard work, we can get people back into the game. I for one will be trying hard to encourage people to start playing again. I'm just one man though - as a collective we need to get more players involved. An important thing for me also is retention - look after the players that you have. Often you see players leave the game because they've been treated quite badly. Let's treat them better.

Im sure within a few weeks, we will get a rough idea of the numbers, particularly more so when registartations start poring in.

Let's not pass judgement on the new clubs/teams until there are facts. New teams have every right to join the league. Just remember that it is the clubs that vote them in at the AGM. As has already been said, each club are allowed two representatives to attend the AGM. They will be allowed to ask their questions and pass their opinion, and of course the vote. If you have concerns and are involved with a club, pass these to your secretary or whoever it isn't that will be attending the AGM. Personally, I like to keep an open mind.

On 2017-5-16 at 13:49, Mr Justice said:

Why is it that so many clubs are unable to fulfill fixtures this season. But now we have clubs many of whom disbanded their reserve teams before, now wanting to rejoin to league? 

There is even talk of some clubs possibly disbanding

Because teams just sign on as many players as they want. Then don't play them. But players then arn't free to go play elsewhere until a transfer is done

Most of the contributors, above, have all been around for a while and know all the issues around 'new clubs' and teams folding and there is a real and understandable caution over new teams for next season, but without stating the obvious there are some points that need clarity:

Stopping new teams entering the league will not stop teams folding - players / managers leave clubs for a reason and won't go back if not allowed to form a new teams - they will go elsewhere or stop, either way the initial team folds.  

Clubs at the AGM vote in new teams - use that opportunity to test the sustainability of the new team - do they have finance / facilities / sponsors / committee - where are the players coming from (if that's important to you) etc etc. Vote YES if a good case given or NO if not - don't say YES or NO before the meeting to all teams.

A lot happens in the space of a couple of seasons - teams are sometimes folded for the good of the club or for 'the right reason' - a couple of seasons later new players / managers make an extra teams feasible. Because they have folded before does not make them any less or better an option for admission to the league. 

Clubs that have a 'ceiling' for their men's teams and a very good youth setup are more likely to need to expand the number of their men's teams - not allowing them to do so effectively means that all the effort they have put in over years developing young players are gifted to other teams - personal view as to whether that is good or not.  Teams that are solely based around a youth team reaching adulthood will be problematic - do they have men supporting them and a large enough squad - any new team with less than 15/16 players will struggle.

Surely all that matters is that next season there are as many teams playing across as many leagues as possible - and to be honest if we let in enough for a full constitutional quota for the leagues and a couple drop out during the season (new or old teams), does it really matter - everyone gets as much football as possible. 

Either way - make certain your clubs turn up to the AGM and you decide. 

3 hours ago, Footballfollower said:

this is not about Perranwell in particular...more to do with where are these players are going to come from?? If needing to set up a new team and have to get players from other teams in area, then surely not sustainable??

you tell me, where these extra players are coming from?

I am not sure how it works now but new clubs / teams  back in the old leagues were given a chance to put their case for entering into the league  and then left the room , where a discussion and vote was made  , if this is still the case if anybody has any reservations about clubs vote at the AGM this is a chance to make a stand , it is your league and you all have a chance to make a difference as to who you want to enter , turn up and vote .

12 minutes ago, stevieb said:

I am not sure how it works now but new clubs / teams  back in the old leagues were given a chance to put their case for entering into the league  and then left the room , where a discussion and vote was made  , if this is still the case if anybody has any reservations about clubs vote at the AGM this is a chance to make a stand , it is your league and you all have a chance to make a difference as to who you want to enter , turn up and vote .

stevieb - it's still the same. Really comes down to the constituent clubs

4 hours ago, B_D said:

I haven't looked at the stats in detail but I am aware that over 900 (I think) players who were registered to the Trelawny League in 2015/2016 did not re-register in 2016-2017. There are many players around this area who didn't play last season who may well return. Players could come from that pot, yes some may come from other clubs but one thing you have to bare in mind... there have been quite a few teams that have ceased to exist in the last few seasons in this area. That means that there are fewer clubs for people to join.

It would be interesting to know the retention rate in the Combination League. Last season there were 1080 players registered in the Combo.

see you all at AGM......and remember only let those clubs in who can prove sustainability without depleting other local teams.......or......let ALL new teams in and hope the equilibrium equation works in local football. ?

see you all at AGM......and remember only let those clubs in who can prove sustainability without depleting other local teams.......or......let ALL new teams in and hope the equilibrium equation works in local football. ?

18 hours ago, B_D said:

Another point. The Trelawny League sides (add in Duchy, Combo and East Cornwall) are kept going through teams using a lot of youngsters aged 16-18 years old to fill their ranks. I should think that quite a few of those 900 are lads that move away to go to UNI. Very few teams fold so most clubs must replace those lads with the current crop of new recruits coming out of the schools or colleges. 

15 hours ago, cornishteddyboy said:

It would be interesting to know the retention rate in the Combination League. Last season there were 1080 players registered in the Combo.

Yes it would Paul but as the Combination doesn't use Full-Time in the same way it would be a very large piece of work to find out.  Given that we're all fishing in the same pond I suspect it'll be around the same proportion.  On average since Trelawny started about a third of players don't register from one season to the next - and another 25-30% change clubs every season.  Also 1080 seems quite high but is perhaps indicative of what is now needed to field 11 on a Saturday.

38 minutes ago, cornishteddyboy said:

Another point. The Trelawny League sides (add in Duchy, Combo and East Cornwall) are kept going through teams using a lot of youngsters aged 16-18 years old to fill their ranks. I should think that quite a few of those 900 are lads that move away to go to UNI. Very few teams fold so most clubs must replace those lads with the current crop of new recruits coming out of the schools or colleges. 

Retention of post 16 players is a major concern within the FA and there are some initiatives on the way (Flexi football will be discussed at the Trelawny AGM for example). Typically about 15% of players in Trelawny each season are in the 16 to 19 year old age bracket.

2 hours ago, Steve Carpenter said:

Yes it would Paul but as the Combination doesn't use Full-Time in the same way it would be a very large piece of work to find out.  Given that we're all fishing in the same pond I suspect it'll be around the same proportion.  On average since Trelawny started about a third of players don't register from one season to the next - and another 25-30% change clubs every season.  Also 1080 seems quite high but is perhaps indicative of what is now needed to field 11 on a Saturday.

Retention of post 16 players is a major concern within the FA and there are some initiatives on the way (Flexi football will be discussed at the Trelawny AGM for example). Typically about 15% of players in Trelawny each season are in the 16 to 19 year old age bracket.

That was the figure given out at our AGM last Thursday. I suppose a few of that number are for sides that have SWPL teams, where some of those players will never drop down to play Combo but are on the books, "just in-case" plus those players could not then sign and play for another Combo side until released after the seven days notice.

4 hours ago, cornishteddyboy said:

That was the figure given out at our AGM last Thursday. I suppose a few of that number are for sides that have SWPL teams, where some of those players will never drop down to play Combo but are on the books, "just in-case" plus those players could not then sign and play for another Combo side until released after the seven days notice.

I'm sure your right but it just seemed a high average per team (54) when the Trelawny average is only 37 and many of the same arguments apply.  Mute point in the end - it is what it is.:)

9 hours ago, Footballfollower said:

...and remember only let those clubs in who can prove sustainability without depleting other local teams.......or......let ALL new teams in and hope the equilibrium equation works in local football. ?

A fair point and one I don't necessarily disagree with but to a large extent you are asking them to prove something that is very difficult if not impossible to establish.  As I've said above, about a third of players don't re-register for the following season.  A not too dissimilar number change clubs at the start of each season and then there are well over 200 transfers per season.  Over the years of Trelawny the lack of players is only just the biggest reason quoted for clubs/teams folding with 22 putting it forward as the reason; 20 folded due to a lack of volunteers to run them and there's been a net loss of 8 to the Combination League.  Add to that a small splattering of other reasons and you can see its far from straightforward.  In the end players will go to play where they want to and without holding players to their current club, which we are not allowed to do, no club can give a guarantee that they're not going to have players joining from other existing clubs.  And lest we forget, there are @4000 players out there who have registered at some point but are no longer playing. Getting only a few low hundreds of them back into the game would make a big difference and therein lies the challenge! 

On 2017-6-16 at 18:41, Bobjfh said:

stevieb - it's still the same. Really comes down to the constituent clubs

Thanks Bob  , so clubs use your vote wisely  , just think  how it affects your league and the future of it , we have all seen teams,  clubs fold  over the years and various players not register be it injury, retiring , or moving away .  Perhaps it will settle down in a couple of years and all local football will stabilise , but remember it is in your own hands to help with this .