Cornwall Football Forum

Port Reserves in Crisis

Porthleven reserves relieve manager and assistant of their roles with immediate effect.. Who now will be put in place to manage this troubled club as news filters through that a good majority of the players won't be returning to play for the club..???

What on earth do clubs expect?  You have volunteers who give up their time for nothing, probably end up with a ridiculous phone bill each month only to be "relieved of their duties", they're the ones that are probably relieved!!

Its a shame to see a club like Port struggle but when you are struggling with a first team you're always going to struggle with the seconds.  Best of luck to Port in getting things going

Manager mark greet (skippy) brought in 9-10 decent young players, Phil kellow a couple plus his sons but struggled so those players mark brought in were taken for the firsts leaving him with bare 11 most weeks... Maybe the first team management should take most of the blame for not recruiting?? ( I know it's a club and firsts take priority) maybe the committee that 'sacked' him should take note of this??

St Darren well said, getting increasingly hard to manage any team now with no budget, inflated egos etc, football has changed a lot locally since my day as has attitudes unfortunately, young players want to much to soon rather than plying there trade for a season or two , learning off experienced players, then moving on and up, whilst managers try and get a team out, ringing numerous players , getting things in place for training, match days etc etc , while in the meantime players are arranging to get tickets to watch there beloved premier league teams on saturday every 2 or 3 weeks then moan when they are dropped on there return , but then it's the managers fault that they are not playing , one example of many, it's an ever increasing difficulty with players having other distractions, in my day I lived for training and Saturdays, unfortunately it's not the same now, but the managers get the blame, if they can't put a settled team out regular as the players have other distractions and interests then what can they do? It's the world we live in now!

With 20 sides in the league, and if at least two sides ask for promotion from the Trelawny (and pass ground grading) then it is possible two sides can be relegated from the Combo at the end of the season.

If Port Reserves fold, which I doubt, then two can still come up with one relegation.

Looking at the table, and things can change, it is looking like all the sides from 14th place and below are going to start looking over their shoulders once we get into the new year.

http://www.cornwallcomboleague.co.uk/15table.htm

Can't believe a club like Porthleven which is probably my favourite ground to play at (outside blaythorne) are struggling like this. It's a sad day in Cornish football when a club feels it can let volunteers walk away from something I'm sure they would have put their heart and soul into. I really hope they can turn it round down there and get some players interested

I had an enjoyable 1 season down there in 2000 Ralph with Kev Richards as manager and we got to the Supp Cup Final with a young side.......well apart from 'mauler' (even I was young then) so it's a shame to see any club in trouble but especially one you've been involved with even if it was only briefly - fingers crossed they sort it out

Could the problem lie with the ability or rather lack of ability of managers. Getting 11 players on the pitch is one thing but giving them direction is another. A lot of managers, whilst enthusiastic, could never be seen as scholars of the game. Clubs seem to take the first person who volunteers and they soon get found out - both the clubs and also the self-proclaimed managers. Just a hypothetical question???

Answering your question Le Boss, I suppose that I was just that when I managed a team.. An enthusiastic amateur rather than a scholar of the game. I'd probably describe 90% of my players likewise.

I don't know anything about the events at Porthleven but if they can afford to turn away willing volunteers then they must be blessed with ready made replacements.

We are only in this for the love of the game mate, and anyone who gives up a Saturday from work or their loved ones has my respect

Found out ? - You need to keep a grasp on reality I fancy - This isn't professional football

Answering your question Le Boss, I suppose that I was just that when I managed a team.. An enthusiastic amateur rather than a scholar of the game. I'd probably describe 90% of my players likewise.

I don't know anything about the events at Porthleven but if they can afford to turn away willing volunteers then they must be blessed with ready made replacements.

We are only in this for the love of the game mate, and anyone who gives up a Saturday from work or their loved ones has my respect

Found out ? - You need to keep a grasp on reality I fancy - This isn't professional football

You are absolutely right!! This is not professional football but do you honestly think that it is a coincidence that the successful teams/clubs have been the ones that have been run with a degree of professionalism and this is more apparent the higher the standard. The reality, which I have unquestionably have a grip on, is that to succeed,you need to have that kind of attitude.

You are absolutely right!! This is not professional football but do you honestly think that it is a coincidence that the successful teams/clubs have been the ones that have been run with a degree of professionalism and this is more apparent the higher the standard. The reality, which I have unquestionably have a grip on, is that to succeed,you need to have that kind of attitude.

or a rather large budget

All the best to Skippy. Cracking bloke, very passionate! Also has port at his heart, so very shocked that he's been told that he is no longer required (despite their league position). You can only assume that the club have somebody ready to take over, which I personally think I'd poor of the club to go behind Skippys back.

All the best to you Skip!!

The way that this has happened & come about is an absolute joke!!!!! You have a first team management team telling the committee that it is their fault as they cant attract players to the club and maybe it is time that they stood aside so that new leaders can come in & help steady the ship (very sensible) instead a committee who between them all have no knowledge of managing & coaching a football team at all (other than making tea & getting drunk on a Saturday night) not quite the qualications you need but help i suppose, decide to sack the second team manager & his team & and while their at it give the first team management a budget to work with (great business sense there)while that committee is running the club the football will suffer because certain managers, coaches, PLAYERS & SUPPORTERS will not return to the club they have grown up around until these prehistoric idiots step aside. I do feel very sorry for Derek Heywood the commercial Manager there he is an absolute gentleman and works tirelessly, get the right people around him & I think things could change quite quickly!!!!

Edited by Dave Deacon
one word - language

The way that this has happened & come about is an absolute joke!!!!! You have a first team management team telling the committee that it is their fault as they cant attract players to the club and maybe it is time that they stood aside so that new leaders can come in & help steady the ship (very sensible) instead a committee who between them all have no knowledge of managing & coaching a football team at all (other than making tea & getting drunk on a Saturday night) not quite the qualications you need but help i suppose, decide to sack the second team manager & his team & and while their at it give the first team management a budget to work with (great business sense there)while that committee is running the club the football will suffer because certain managers, coaches, PLAYERS & SUPPORTERS will not return to the club they have grown up around until these prehistoric idiots step aside. I do feel very sorry for Derek Heywood the commercial Manager there he is an absolute gentleman and works tirelessly, get the right people around him & I think things could change quite quickly!!!!

The Committee at a club are not there to attract players, that is down to the team management, it's results, training and general team spirit. At our level of playing the sport, I would think that the latter is the most important.

If a club's management team are saying it is the Committee's fault for not being able to attract players then something is seriously wrong. Either the Committee is overstepping it's mark or the management team is looking for excuses.

The Committee are there to to make sure the club have a ground that has a pitch in reasonable condition with all the other facilities such as toilets, changing rooms, etc for football to be played. It must also find volunteers to help off-field on match-days. 

The Committee should be there to aid the club's management teams to make sure the paperwork side of running a club is correct and in order. The Committee also has the right to replace a management team if it thinks that said management team, or the club's team is under-performing.

The Committee is there to make sure the club is solvent and if not must find sources of income. The Committee is also liable for any debts the club runs up.

Thanks for your input Dave Leonard!

The committee may not have the best knowledge of the football however it is this committee who have finally got Porthleven AFC out of debt after being in the red for many many years, they work tirelessly all together, not just making teas and so called getting drunk! Look at the bank balance and they are making a hell of a difference! 

I for one have seen what has been done at the ground and can say it is looking the best it ever has (Best ground in cornwall this year) thanks to mainly the committee and as you said yourself Deryk Heywood, Ian Lewis and Cozy Powell. 

If managers, coaches, players & supporters feel they dont like the current committee then thats pretty sad to hear, but its different from what i have been hearing as they are far from prehistoric idiots, i think previous committees may have been labelled this because of there power trips of making up their own rules as they go along, you know all to well as you was on the committee yourself so surprised you come out with this statement about the current porthleven committee.

You sound very bitter about it all and to be honest you are better off taking your negativity elsewhere, as its not welcome at Porthleven AFC.

Phil Ruberry (Dont need to hide behind a name)

Ha Ha what a ridiculous accusation to say I need to hide behind a name.(Its simply a login)

What on earth has any of this got to do with you Phil also who are you to tell me I am not welcome at Porthleven AFC ?????

Bitter!!!!!! that is also laughable, Embarrassed is probably more appropriate.

All of the work done at the club has been fantastic & credit to some of the current committee,

The point I was simply trying to make was the Football decisions the committee were making were not so fantastic, my opinion along with as quoted players & supporters thats all.

Phil you may want to think carefully what your saying on here just like me as we may get blocked!!!!!! lol

DAVE LEONARD  

Thanks for your input Dave Leonard!

The committee may not have the best knowledge of the football however it is this committee who have finally got Porthleven AFC out of debt after being in the red for many many years, they work tirelessly all together, not just making teas and so called getting drunk! Look at the bank balance and they are making a hell of a difference! 

I for one have seen what has been done at the ground and can say it is looking the best it ever has (Best ground in cornwall this year) thanks to mainly the committee and as you said yourself Deryk Heywood, Ian Lewis and Cozy Powell. 

If managers, coaches, players & supporters feel they dont like the current committee then thats pretty sad to hear, but its different from what i have been hearing as they are far from prehistoric idiots, i think previous committees may have been labelled this because of there power trips of making up their own rules as they go along, you know all to well as you was on the committee yourself so surprised you come out with this statement about the current porthleven committee.

You sound very bitter about it all and to be honest you are better off taking your negativity elsewhere, as its not welcome at Porthleven AFC.

Phil Ruberry (Dont need to hide behind a name)

"best ground in cornwall this year" 

Get a grip!

With 20 sides in the league, and if at least two sides ask for promotion from the Trelawny (and pass ground grading) then it is possible two sides can be relegated from the Combo at the end of the season.

If Port Reserves fold, which I doubt, then two can still come up with one relegation.

Looking at the table, and things can change, it is looking like all the sides from 14th place and below are going to start looking over their shoulders once we get into the new year.

http://www.cornwallcomboleague.co.uk/15table.htm

Not all the clubs below 14th are looking over their shoulder, Culdrose are more than confident that they will be moving up the table.

A question, the new management or stand in management have both come from teams that they have folded recently porthleven Rangers and cury fc? 1 of which struggled to raise a side in the lower division let along combo with a. Team above. So what are they going to bring to porthleven reserves? What A man from porthleven with a passion for the club couldn't do? 

Rangers (Sunday league) haven't folded and cozy (now manager of both sides) will do a good job given the right backing from both the committee, (which have done a cracking job on the social side, just thought I'd better add that) and the first team, good luck cozy!!

Good luck to cozy he has done a lot for Porthleven , always makes you welcome and time for a chat when you bump into him  carried Rangers for years ,  shame for Porthleven  but for the grace of God could happen to any club , but if you look to Ludgvan a few seasons back they were in a similar position and look at them now , can be done , football has changed for all teams harder to put a team out , uni ,work ,college  puts a strain on young players time , so something gives  if you can keep a group of players together and happy  you are doing really well , also being a reserve team creates problems if there are players missing from the firsts , which is part and parcel of being a reserve side ,    when I was last down Gala park a few weeks back I did think that there was not so many supporters watching and the few there were very quiet as usually in the past their fans are very vocal , could not have been the weather because everyone was in shirt sleeves .

was alan Rundle the reserve assistant?

its bad wwhen the managers feel the heat though.

Just saw that holmans reserves couldn't raise a team this weekend too. is that the state of footy on cornwall these days?

Not at all mbkted the reason we could not put a team out was because a few of our second team lads were out in the freezing winds up electric poles at 3am etc so you could wake up to your kettle working saturday morning hence by midday they were knackered as they work for western power if you never got what i meant which left our 2nds with 9 we then had 2 more lads available at 115pm ish but i had already made the call to culdrose at 12 to say it was disappointing but had to be done. 

Sadly many clubs around england are in decline, and by the sounds of it holmans made the correct call in postponing (is this the case or is it a 3-0 win + points etc down here and not to be a played fixture?), but many of the clubs are also making hasty decisions.  X9 players should mean, game on, the easy option is to cancel, I bet those x9 could of still had an enjoyable game and got out of the weekend list of jobs set by the miss's!

i have noticed there is a hell of a lot of clubs in Cornwall, and having already seen many games cancelled due to no officials or not enough players why doesn't the county FA do something about it? Put a cap on new teams entering for a few years would do it? And what's wrong with the good old fashioned club names....so far I've seen fixtures advertised for 'Storm', 'west Cornwall' (is this a county development team or name?), and 'new inn Titans'....I mean put together and it sounds like a Marvel film cast!

its too easy for players to ruin clubs, the people who work and love their club stay put through thick and thin, not run away and sulk and create a new 'club'.

sadly all I have seen so far is a county which is in a decline in the footballing front, and if we are going to be brutal unless something is done very soon you will soon see people who put the hard work in behind the scenes of clubs lose faith in the FA too...that's precisely the time the smelly stuff will hit the fan!