Cornwall Football Forum

Let the Managerial madness season begin!

The problem is it’s about developing players and being able to coach to a high standard. You can’t just throw money about these days and finish fourth. The same problem at Helston really. I’m pretty sure the budget is quite tight and player development is the key for the future at the Kimberly or whatever it’s now called ! 
Good luck to Dane wherever he ends up but coaching is the key for the future.

If you pay big bucks and win the league as Parkway and Tavi have done then that’s a completely different story

Maybe more about stuff behind the scenes rather than results. 
Heard senior players not been happy and looking to move on if Dane stayed, some tempted by joining Dan Hart at buckland

Think since the whole second team fiasco the club been fire fighting various issues behind the scenes, with a number of committee members, stalwarts of the club, and the chairman leaving in the last few months due to issues bubbling under the surface for some time. 

Sure Dane would like an honest explanation of the total lack of support shown him by the club after 7 years of dedication! 
Saltash should be ashamed of their conduct, treatment & cowardly way they have behaved! 
“results are not the be all & end all” is hardly  a satisfactory explanation to someone who has worked so hard. 

Small minded club lacking in ambition & foresight! 

As said above many stalwarts falling by the wayside at the club which is such a shame! 
Politics & back stabbing in Local football has always been there but the way in which  Saltash have handled this situation is on another level. Appalling!! 

Wasn’t it’ Dane and the former chairman big plan to disband the 2nd team in favour of a youth team . That decision saw the chairman resign so I didn’t think it be long till Dane went.   There more money coming in the club through sponsors  so I imagine they want a better manager in there with better contacts and different direction. . 
I heard they wanted cusack back but I can’t see him leaving parkway 

5 minutes ago, sportsman10 said:

Wasn’t it’ Dane and the former chairman big plan to disband the 2nd team in favour of a youth team . That decision saw the chairman resign so I didn’t think it be long till Dane went.   There more money coming in the club through sponsors  so I imagine they want a better manager in there with better contacts and different direction. . 
I heard they wanted cusack back but I can’t see him leaving parkway 

Much more to it than that I think! 
They have no ambition & have already said they would reject any promotion! 
what kind of attitude is that? 
We all know Managers come & go & maybe it is Dane’s time but be up front & show a bit of class! Judging by many comments on Twitter I’m not the only one disgusted with Saltash! 

I know Dane isn’t everyone’s cup of tea but what a ludicrous decision. 

Finish 4th in the Western League. Jesus what hope is there for everyone else. Let’s remember this is voluntary mangers don’t get paid at this level despite it essentially being a full time job!   

What planet is Saltash on they are just a village in Cornwall.

3 hours ago, Richard Chown said:

I know Dane isn’t everyone’s cup of tea but what a ludicrous decision. 

Finish 4th in the Western League. Jesus what hope is there for everyone else. Let’s remember this is voluntary mangers don’t get paid at this level despite it essentially being a full time job!   

What planet is Saltash on they are just a village in Cornwall.

Finishing 5 positions lower and 10 points behind Saltash. Is Steve Massey a worried man this morning ? 🤔

6 hours ago, Footiefandango said:

Much more to it than that I think! 
They have no ambition & have already said they would reject any promotion! 
what kind of attitude is that? 
We all know Managers come & go & maybe it is Dane’s time but be up front & show a bit of class! Judging by many comments on Twitter I’m not the only one disgusted with Saltash! 

Real reason is he started up all this second team fiasco and let the chairman take the blame which caused massive rifts within the whole club causing committee members to resign. He started approaching managers to take over the second team before discussing with the committee and current second team management 

secondly senior players don’t feel he has enough ability to coach a team, and develop players with that left up to the senior players to do, as well as run training. 

Thirdly he doesn’t have any connections in the game to bring in more players to boost an aging squad. Many players approached also would not sign for saltash due to not liking Dane as he can be a bit marmite shall we say. 

but obviously Dane wouldn’t put those reasons on his own Twitter feed would he!

Seems like a very harsh decision looking at it from a distance. 

The job Bunney has done appears to have been an excellent one. Taking the team up in to a higher division and finishing 4th should not be scoffed at, and certainly suggests an ability to coach a team. It will be interesting to see if the senior players can improve on their 4th place next year with a manager who they perceive can coach them. 

Above all else, it sounds like it’s been a messy split, which is a shame, it sounds like Bunney did a lot more at the club beyond his remit than just manage the team. Their loss will be another club’s gain. 

10 hours ago, rocky170267 said:

The problem is it’s about developing players and being able to coach to a high standard. You can’t just throw money about these days and finish fourth. The same problem at Helston really. I’m pretty sure the budget is quite tight and player development is the key for the future at the Kimberly or whatever it’s now called ! 
Good luck to Dane wherever he ends up but coaching is the key for the future.

If you pay big bucks and win the league as Parkway and Tavi have done then that’s a completely different story

Parkway and Tavi undoubtedly do have decent budgets, but in Stuart Henderson and Matt Cusack they also have two of the best coaches around. In tough leagues like the Southern and Western, spending money needs to be backed up by good coaching and management  (Bitton and Helston are pretty good examples of that). Sorry for going off topic.

1 hour ago, TorpointTerry said:

Seems like a very harsh decision looking at it from a distance. 

The job Bunney has done appears to have been an excellent one. Taking the team up in to a higher division and finishing 4th should not be scoffed at, and certainly suggests an ability to coach a team. It will be interesting to see if the senior players can improve on their 4th place next year with a manager who they perceive can coach them. 

Above all else, it sounds like it’s been a messy split, which is a shame, it sounds like Bunney did a lot more at the club beyond his remit than just manage the team. Their loss will be another club’s gain. 

Spot on mate! Given all that Dane has done at the club this is a shocking decision! 
From what I know he has been well & truly stabbed in the back! Lost all respect for Saltash as a club! 

17 minutes ago, Way Of The Park said:

Parkway and Tavi undoubtedly do have decent budgets, but in Stuart Henderson and Matt Cusack they also have two of the best coaches around. In tough leagues like the Southern and Western, spending money needs to be backed up by good coaching and management  (Bitton and Helston are pretty good examples of that). Sorry for going off topic.

Very true. Lee Hobbs was never the greatest coach but he always had brilliant assistants that were great coaches around him. Not sure where Dane goes now. Maybe he apply for launceston job. Honestly tho what players will follow him ?? 

2 hours ago, quiksilver said:

Real reason is he started up all this second team fiasco and let the chairman take the blame which caused massive rifts within the whole club causing committee members to resign. He started approaching managers to take over the second team before discussing with the committee and current second team management 

secondly senior players don’t feel he has enough ability to coach a team, and develop players with that left up to the senior players to do, as well as run training. 

Thirdly he doesn’t have any connections in the game to bring in more players to boost an aging squad. Many players approached also would not sign for saltash due to not liking Dane as he can be a bit marmite shall we say. 

Mr Bishop was, from what I saw a victim of his own poor handling of the 2nd team debacle. His unprofessional response to the 2nd team reps was his downfall. 

To end 4th in their first season speaks for itself!!!

All seems a very unsavoury affair. 

1 hour ago, quiksilver said:

Your points need addressing as they are very speculative to say the least! 

Regarding the second team fiasco, you obviously have inside knowledge but if this is in fact the case why don’t Saltash tell Dane that’s why he has been let go? Why all the smoke and mirrors?

I think it’s disgusting that in the days leading up to his leaving he had other managers around the county ringing him up to warn him something was going on and he was on his way out - wow classy club!!

Lets get onto coaching, I read a lot about coaching on this site, when do all this fancy coaching actually take place? 
Clubs are playing on Saturday’s and Wednesday’s for most of the season so hang on, it must be that 1 hour at training (when it’s fitted in) somewhere between December and February! 

As for the senior players taking training, I understand Dane appointed Danny Lewis as his assistant manager to help him with things like that as he knew he was relatively inexperienced? A good move I would suggest? Oh and I should point out that some of the best managers in the game don’t have much hands on input to training sessions, Klopp, Jose, Fergie et al!!

I should also point out that Dane has consistently played with 3 or 4 teenagers in the team, sometimes more.It has been an absolute pleasure to  see those young guys developing over the season, Dane can take pride in the way he has brought them on. In fact their parents were the first ones to contact him when the news broke that he was leaving. Don’t talk rubbish about development!!

Now we move on to connections and signing players, the team has actually evolved quite a bit since Matt Cusack’s time as manager. It would have been so easy for Dane to mess this up but to his credit he has signed new players who have helped to achieve 4th position in the Western league, hardly looks like he lacks connections.

I would suggest to you that some of the so called senior players have been the ones struggling of late, poor performances, silly red cards and subsequent suspensions letting their younger team mates down. Perhaps some realised that their playing time was going to be limited going forward under Dane so went to work on the committee?

Do you think when Dane goes to meet a potential new player it goes like this: Player, “hello Dane nice to meet you, please show me your coaching badges”. Dane, I haven’t got any of those but I can pay you £90 per game. Player “Oh that’s good  where do I sign”!! That’s how it works at this level, always has been and always will be.

The biggest problem is not his lack of coaching badges but the wage structure, most players want their money every game not at Christmas and end of season. Most players will not sign under these terms, severely handicapping the manager.

Dane can be a divisive character but let’s not come on here and knock him down, he’s put 100% and more into Saltash, out every night watching games and players etc. Helping on ground and pitch maintenance.Building a network of connections giving detailed analysis of how opponents play. Arranging prestige games against top opposition raising mind boggling amounts of money for the club. AND most importantly taking the team to 4th place in the Western league on a limited budget . 

Like Dane or loath him he has deserved another season at least and the shameful way he had been treated by the small minded people at Saltash is shameful. A previous post cited their lack of ambition, that couldn’t be more true. The ground is stuck in the seventies, the small village mentality of wanting the “local lads” in team still exists, every club in Cornwall has tried that in the last 50 years! 

28 minutes ago, World Cup Willy said:

Regarding the second team fiasco, you obviously have inside knowledge but if this is in fact the case why don’t Saltash tell Dane that’s why he has been let go? Why all the smoke and mirrors?

I think it’s disgusting that in the days leading up to his leaving he had other managers around the county ringing him up to warn him something was going on and he was on his way out - wow classy club!!

Lets get onto coaching, I read a lot about coaching on this site, when do all this fancy coaching actually take place? 
Clubs are playing on Saturday’s and Wednesday’s for most of the season so hang on, it must be that 1 hour at training (when it’s fitted in) somewhere between December and February! 

As for the senior players taking training, I understand Dane appointed Danny Lewis as his assistant manager to help him with things like that as he knew he was relatively inexperienced? A good move I would suggest? Oh and I should point out that some of the best managers in the game don’t have much hands on input to training sessions, Klopp, Jose, Fergie et al!!

I should also point out that Dane has consistently played with 3 or 4 teenagers in the team, sometimes more.It has been an absolute pleasure to  see those young guys developing over the season, Dane can take pride in the way he has brought them on. In fact their parents were the first ones to contact him when the news broke that he was leaving. Don’t talk rubbish about development!!

Now we move on to connections and signing players, the team has actually evolved quite a bit since Matt Cusack’s time as manager. It would have been so easy for Dane to mess this up but to his credit he has signed new players who have helped to achieve 4th position in the Western league, hardly looks like he lacks connections.

I would suggest to you that some of the so called senior players have been the ones struggling of late, poor performances, silly red cards and subsequent suspensions letting their younger team mates down. Perhaps some realised that their playing time was going to be limited going forward under Dane so went to work on the committee?

Do you think when Dane goes to meet a potential new player it goes like this: Player, “hello Dane nice to meet you, please show me your coaching badges”. Dane, I haven’t got any of those but I can pay you £90 per game. Player “Oh that’s good  where do I sign”!! That’s how it works at this level, always has been and always will be.

The biggest problem is not his lack of coaching badges but the wage structure, most players want their money every game not at Christmas and end of season. Most players will not sign under these terms, severely handicapping the manager.

Dane can be a divisive character but let’s not come on here and knock him down, he’s put 100% and more into Saltash, out every night watching games and players etc. Helping on ground and pitch maintenance.Building a network of connections giving detailed analysis of how opponents play. Arranging prestige games against top opposition raising mind boggling amounts of money for the club. AND most importantly taking the team to 4th place in the Western league on a limited budget . 

Like Dane or loath him he has deserved another season at least and the shameful way he had been treated by the small minded people at Saltash is shameful. A previous post cited their lack of ambition, that couldn’t be more true. The ground is stuck in the seventies, the small village mentality of wanting the “local lads” in team still exists, every club in Cornwall has tried that in the last 50 years! 

We are all allowed our opinions 

Does anyone actually know the reason he was let go or just going on what Dane put on social media. Only 1 sided .  Who knows what The  reason are 

Maybe the club want to  go in a different direction and felt Dane wasn’t the man to take them. Happens to clubs up and down the country.  
The team does have an ageing  squad of players even with a few youth players in and out the team  and Dane signed on even older players the last few months of season not sure how that went down with the squad.  . 
like i mentioned before if Dane  is this  all great loyal fantastic manager  we keep hearing about then  I expect the whole team to follow him out the door in support  

Just now, World Cup Willy said:

Exactly!! The difference between you and me my friend is I’m stating  facts and not biased speculation because you’ve obviously got an axe to grind? 

What do the first team make of it then ? 
I can bet  you any money if this happen at say falmouth , parkway etc the players would be up in arms. Threatening to leave with him. Haven’t seen a single Saltash player upset about it ???

3 minutes ago, sportsman10 said:

I can bet  you any money if this happen at say falmouth , parkway etc the players would be up in arms. Threatening to leave with him. Haven’t seen a single Saltash player upset about it ???

I agree with you and that is my point, a few players are not comfortable and have waged a campaign behind the scenes, a coup if you like! Think some are coming to the end of their playing days and suspected playing time would be limited.

I just think Saltash should have been up front and held a meeting with Dane and explained why he had to go.

Perhaps they have a vision going forward- I doubt that somehow!

13 minutes ago, sportsman10 said:

Agree with you. Lee Hobbs at Parkway, Andy Westgarth at Falmouth, Stuart Henderson at Tavi, Jake Ash at Mousehole. No doubt at all who is in charge at these clubs and calls the shots.

Find the Matt Cusack to Saltash rumours interesting. Very successful coach at Parkway, but does he have ambitions to be number one again? No chance of this at Parkway as Hobbs is undoubtedly the main man at Bolitho. Another snippet of news is that Parkway's former assistant, Karl Curtis, is stepping down as head of Argyle's Under 16's at the end of the season.

40 minutes ago, World Cup Willy said:

Exactly!! The difference between you and me my friend is I’m stating  facts and not biased speculation because you’ve obviously got an axe to grind? 

I certainly have no axe to grind, the few occasions I have met Dane he has come across as a good guy, I have had no issues with him whatsoever. 
I was just putting across another side of the possible reasons for him being relieved of his duties at saltash. 
I too only post facts like yourself and not speculation. 

I’m off now to prepare for an interview later today…….  😉

29 minutes ago, quiksilver said:

I certainly have no axe to grind, the few occasions I have met Dane he has come across as a good guy, I have had no issues with him whatsoever. 
I was just putting across another side of the possible reasons for him being relieved of his duties at saltash. 

If the interview is for a vacancy at a certain football club in Saltash don’t forget to take your coaching badges! If you haven’t got any a Blue Peter Badge will do.

“I was just putting across another side of the POSSIBLE reasons for him being relieved of his duties at Saltash. 
I too ONLY POST FACTS like yourself and not speculation” 

A contradiction indeed!! 

Your original comment was stated as fact & hostile to say the least so I agree with WWW you appear to have an axe to grind! 

7 minutes ago, Footiefandango said:

“I was just putting across another side of the POSSIBLE reasons for him being relieved of his duties at Saltash. 
I too ONLY POST FACTS like yourself and not speculation” 

A contradiction indeed!! 

Your original comment was stated as fact & hostile to say the least so I agree with WWW you appear to have an axe to grind! 

apologies if you felt my post was hostile that was not my intention

I have only posted what I have been told by people who are 'in the know' at Saltash and stand by that

3 hours ago, World Cup Willy said:

Although you may make some valid points stop talking about yourself in 3rd person & change your name on here to Dane and instead of calling yourself a Willy. 

1 hour ago, bighairydave said:

Maybe the club is scared of being too successful and therefore don’t want promotion due to the additional costs involved at Step 4.

Complete opposite .  Big money coming into the club from additional sponsors looking at other clubs progression and possible feel like they can achieve that. Just not with Dane. 

let be honest saltAsh are a big club just not had the investment others have had. It’s in a perfect location for players  from Cornwall and Devon. ( should never have the best players around Plymouth and Devon driving past to play in helston etc ) 

5 hours ago, Way Of The Park said:

Off topic but Tavi big budget? Absolutely not! 🤣

Back on topic - I think Dane has done a good job from an outsiders POV. I’m sure there’s more to it behind the scenes but think he’ll get himself a decent job if he waits long enough. 

2 minutes ago, Tavi Fan said:

Back on topic - I think Dane has done a good job from an outsiders POV. I’m sure there’s more to it behind the scenes but think he’ll get himself a decent job if he waits long enough. 

Maybe he get the Tavi job when stu Takes over from wotten at Truro ?? 😄

apologies if you felt my post was hostile that was not my intention

I have only posted what I have been told by people who are 'in the know' at Saltash and stand by that

Based on the carry on of the last few days I’m not sure there are any people at Saltash in the know!! 

19 minutes ago, Philheybrookbay said:

Saltash United will be releasing a full statement later today.

No further comment will be made. 

That will make for interesting reading!!

”Once upon a time…..” Hope it’s in joined up writing🙈

49 minutes ago, Tavi Fan said:

Said "decent" not "big".

1 hour ago, Tavi Fan said:

Agree to have Tavi & Parkway in the same sentence when it comes to budgets is not correct. I doubt Tavi resources match those of Helston, Mousehole and others in the WL.

4 hours ago, sportsman10 said:

Complete opposite .  Big money coming into the club from additional sponsors looking at other clubs progression and possible feel like they can achieve that. Just not with Dane. 

let be honest saltAsh are a big club just not had the investment others have had. It’s in a perfect location for players  from Cornwall and Devon. ( should never have the best players around Plymouth and Devon driving past to play in helston etc ) 

Their mindset going forward is that they  intend to reject any future promotion! That has been stated ……. Fact! 
No ambition, No foresight, No loyalty, No respect, No scruples and…………. NO MONEY 

Just wait & see! 

The whole sorry episode has been handled abysmally!