Cornwall Football Forum

RESULTS - Wednesday 2 February 2022

• Dave Deacon changed the title to RESULTS - Wednesday 2 February 2022

A decent cup tie with nothing much to choose between the sides. Helston started the better and deserved their early lead but the rest of the half was pretty even. Millbrook levelled with the last kick of the first half and 1-1 at the break was fair enough. The second half was less frantic than the first and the visitors, in particular, played some lovely passing football. But they lacked a cutting edge and were denied what looked like a good shout for a penalty for handball. Helston fought back well, though, edged in front and also had their own penalty appeal turned down. The last 15 minutes were typical cup tie fare and very entertaining but Millbrook could not get a second equaliser and Helston will now face Mousehole in the next round. The attendance was 167. 

13 hours ago, Themanhimself said:

Seen the helston team sheet. No Steve Massey tonight. Rumour has it he’s left. Can anyone shine light on this rumour 

You’ve got to question where these daft rumours come from!!! 

10 hours ago, Thecupfootballblogger said:

A decent cup tie with nothing much to choose between the sides. Helston started the better and deserved their early lead but the rest of the half was pretty even. Millbrook levelled with the last kick of the first half and 1-1 at the break was fair enough. The second half was less frantic than the first and the visitors, in particular, played some lovely passing football. But they lacked a cutting edge and were denied what looked like a good shout for a penalty for handball. Helston fought back well, though, edged in front and also had their own penalty appeal turned down. The last 15 minutes were typical cup tie fare and very entertaining but Millbrook could not get a second equaliser and Helston will now face Mousehole in the next round. The attendance was 167. 

Got to disagree a little. Helston would’ve been good value to be leading at half time. The equaliser was clearly offside - both strikers were offside. Second half Millbrook started very well and for 20 minutes Helston were hanging on. Game then could’ve gone either way but Helston got the winner. New guys looked impressive and Helston were better for playing 2 up top. With a little more end product hopefully be a more potent threat. Overall a good reaction from Helston after recent results. And no hump it and lump it last night either. 😁😁

52 minutes ago, le boss said:

You’ve got to question where these daft rumours come from!!! 

Got to disagree a little. Helston would’ve been good value to be leading at half time. The equaliser was clearly offside - both strikers were offside. Second half Millbrook started very well and for 20 minutes Helston were hanging on. Game then could’ve gone either way but Helston got the winner. New guys looked impressive and Helston were better for playing 2 up top. With a little more end product hopefully be a more potent threat. Overall a good reaction from Helston after recent results. And no hump it and lump it last night either. 😁😁

interesting take on the game. 

I thought Helston were the much better side first half, poor marking from a corner allowed Bentley a virtually free header. Not that many chances in the game, quality in the final third was really lacking. Veal on the right, Wright through the middle and Bowker down the left. Cant imagine Bowker is too happy, has been by far the best player for Helston this year but has been lumped out on the left for a striker who will move to any club by the looks of it. Was really underwhelmed, little attacking threat and missed a sitter late on (hit the post) when should have scored with ease. Never worth the cash or moving Bowker outwide. Really struggle to see how Tucker was let go, but Veal was kept, his final ball at times was shocking.

Helston played a very direct game, as they have always done. Tyler Elliott MoM with a few nice touches but had a very quiet second half. Harrison Jewell my MoM by a mile.

Millbrook got a goal late on in the first half, probably against the run of play to be fair.

Second half had very little to shout about until late on. Orlando Anker came on, sold his man and fired a cracking left foot finish across the keeper for 2-1 on 78 mins. Looked tricky when he came on, but can see why he hasnt featured much as for all his good work, also lost possession of the ball with ease and rarely tracked back - much to the annoyance of the home crowd. Millbrook denied by a stunning save from the Helston keeper, and then a handball appeal waived away. other than that, looked lost without Shepherd upfront. 

Not sure the new keeper for Helston rolled the ball out once, long ball up to Wright/Bowker all night. Will work against most sides though for sure.

Helston v Mousehole in the next round will be tasty

46 minutes ago, SCFC said:

I thought Helston were the much better side first half, poor marking from a corner allowed Bentley a virtually free header. Not that many chances in the game, quality in the final third was really lacking. Veal on the right, Wright through the middle and Bowker down the left. Cant imagine Bowker is too happy, has been by far the best player for Helston this year but has been lumped out on the left for a striker who will move to any club by the looks of it. Was really underwhelmed, little attacking threat and missed a sitter late on (hit the post) when should have scored with ease. Never worth the cash or moving Bowker outwide. Really struggle to see how Tucker was let go, but Veal was kept, his final ball at times was shocking.

Helston played a very direct game, as they have always done. Tyler Elliott MoM with a few nice touches but had a very quiet second half. Harrison Jewell my MoM by a mile.

Millbrook got a goal late on in the first half, probably against the run of play to be fair.

Second half had very little to shout about until late on. Orlando Anker came on, sold his man and fired a cracking left foot finish across the keeper for 2-1 on 78 mins. Looked tricky when he came on, but can see why he hasnt featured much as for all his good work, also lost possession of the ball with ease and rarely tracked back - much to the annoyance of the home crowd. Millbrook denied by a stunning save from the Helston keeper, and then a handball appeal waived away. other than that, looked lost without Shepherd upfront. 

Not sure the new keeper for Helston rolled the ball out once, long ball up to Wright/Bowker all night. Will work against most sides though for sure.

Helston v Mousehole does indeed look like a tasty encounter. Bit of needle off the back of the Boxing Day postponement, and a real clash of styles. Mousehole very much ball on the deck and pass, Helston a more direct game.

26 minutes ago, Way Of The Park said:

Helston v Mousehole does indeed look like a tasty encounter. Bit of needle off the back of the Boxing Day postponement, and a real clash of styles. Mousehole very much ball on the deck and pass, Helston a more direct game.

Your words obviously there to gain a reaction 

1 hour ago, SCFC said:

Interesting take on the game

19 minutes ago, SCFC said:

did make me chuckle, so fair one!

Can't really deny that Mousehole and Helston couldnt play anymore different football if they tried. Pretty football doesnt win football matches though 👍

Good mate of mine is a Wimbledon supporter. Remember him saying that the way the Crazy Gang played may not have been easy on the eye, but it got results. Also had the added bonus of winding up the purists...

2 hours ago, SCFC said:

This is the issue. It’s signing players for the sake of it and not really to fit into a system. 
I feel for bowker. He been helston best player by a mile  and now what ever way you dress it up he been shunted out wide to accommodate Matt Wright who technically isn’t even going to commit full time and must be on a fair wack of cash to travel down there midweek  . Personally I think he best days are long gone  

All 3 of them won’t work against top quality teams 

why did they not go for a player like James Lorenz or dan Jennings to play off bowker ? 

49 minutes ago, sportsman10 said:

This is the issue. It’s signing players for the sake of it and not really to fit into a system. 
I feel for bowker. He been helston best player by a mile  and now what ever way you dress it up he been shunted out wide to accommodate Matt Wright who technically isn’t even going to commit full time and must be on a fair wack of cash to travel down there midweek  . Personally I think he best days are long gone  

All 3 of them won’t work against top quality teams 

why did they not go for a player like James Lorenz or dan Jennings to play off bowker ? 

I was like Ryan Giggs last night whipping balls in for fun 🤣🤣 didn’t enjoy the tracking back though 🥵😮💨 😂🙈 in all seriousness I’ve not played my best football the last couple of weeks and probably lucky not to be dropped all together! Was asked to do a job for the team last night and the result was all that mattered to be honest into the 🎩 for the next round and we have something to build on for Saturday now 🤞🏻 

2 hours ago, Way Of The Park said:

Good mate of mine is a Wimbledon supporter. Remember him saying that the way the Crazy Gang played may not have been easy on the eye, but it got results. Also had the added bonus of winding up the purists...

It only worked for a while and then the better teams got wise to their style and that became the end for them. 
If it was worthwhile playing that style you’d see it at top level more often. You might get away with it at a lesser standard but if you want to progress you’ll need more than simply bypassing midfield all the time. 
That of course is just my opinion. 

16 minutes ago, Tommy Matthews said:

It only worked for a while and then the better teams got wise to their style and that became the end for them. 
If it was worthwhile playing that style you’d see it at top level more often. You might get away with it at a lesser standard but if you want to progress you’ll need more than simply bypassing midfield all the time. 

Opinions!!!! On here !!! Whatever next?😁

2 hours ago, Way Of The Park said:

A lot more interesting that the tippy tippy across the back 4 for 5 minutes each possession trying to squeeze out a 1-0 win. Love it when possession is lost and costs them a goal. If the direct approach is that bad, why do teams revert to it in the last 15 minutes to try to get a result?

42 minutes ago, Tommy Matthews said:

Think it was more to do with them moving to a different city.  Wimbledon mk1 were flying high in the premier league and in the semi finals of the fa cup just before they became franchise United 

13 hours ago, Tommy Matthews said:

They also became predictable and easy to defend against the second ball. 

I think playing that sort of system takes it out of players physically as well. Remember the Argyle sides under David Kemp and Tony Pulis playing a very direct game, by March/April time the small squads were struggling with niggling injuries and just burnt out. Midfield players in particular had a heavy workload as they were expected to get up to win the second ball, and then drop deep to win it back to for it to be launched forward again.