Jump to content
Cornwall Football Forum

Referees in the Premier league.


St Darren
 Share

Recommended Posts

Just now, Goldeneye said:

What rubbish Darren!!! Players cheat at every opportunity and will always do so, even if the referee is the best in the world!

Have the players cheated in those incidents yesterday? 

The Newcastle penalty incident is probably the worst of the lot. 

Players now feel the need to go to ground in order to get a penalty as if they stabbed up the referee doesn't give anything. Such are our new 'laws' something would only be turned over if "clear and obvious". 

It's time that they were called out and have to answer to someone. At the moment they answer themselves. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This same old rubbish keeps being spouted. The refs job is not easy - he relies on the assistance of his linesmen/women. He's always going to be wrong in the opinion of someone. I still say the referees do what is a very difficult job, very well. Do away with VAR, keep goal line tech and let the officials do their job. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Keith B said:

This same old rubbish keeps being spouted. The refs job is not easy - he relies on the assistance of his linesmen/women. He's always going to be wrong in the opinion of someone. I still say the referees do what is a very difficult job, very well. Do away with VAR, keep goal line tech and let the officials do their job. 

But whilst VAR is here, it should be acting on incidents like yesterday shouldn't it? 

Or is it because Kane is England captain and the media darling. Gerrard, Rooney, Terry all used to get away with a lot more because of their status. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, St Darren said:

But whilst VAR is here, it should be acting on incidents like yesterday shouldn't it? 

Or is it because Kane is England captain and the media darling. Gerrard, Rooney, Terry all used to get away with a lot more because of their status. 

I can't really comment on your point about media darlings Darren - I don't know, although that may carry some weight - but I hope not.

Can't comment on the incidents yesterday, I was watching one of my grandsons playing rugby.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Keith B said:

I can't really comment on your point about media darlings Darren - I don't know, although that may carry some weight - but I hope not.

Can't comment on the incidents yesterday, I was watching one of my grandsons playing rugby.

Have a look at the incidents then come back to me. 

14 minutes ago, TheolderIgetthebetterIwas said:

I'm a Spurs fan of 60 years...Kane was off for that even local football! 

This is my point, we can see that from exactly what VAR is looking at, so why hasn't he got involved in that. 

I also agree that Robertson's was a sending off. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I will always be a supporter of referees , without them there would be no game BUT!!!!!!   being a Wolves supporter , after the debacle  in their game with Manchester City last week  I have to say that some are poor . The ball striking Mountinou's chest under the armpit ??????  how did VAR miss that ? Jiminez's first tackle being given as a foul then a yellow . He was wrong to prevent the free kick and deserved the yellow card for that admittedly  but most pundits and referees didn't think the tackle was a foul . Sadly with the amount of money involved in league positions in qualifying for Europe , and the relegation issue points lost to poor refereeing decisions  mean a lot .

All the best everyone for Christmas and New Year , I've got tickets for the 2 Argyle games over the holiday so I'm hoping that there's no lockdown , travel restrictions  or game postponement .

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Harry Kane thought his tackle was a good hard tackle and was surprised to even get a booking, in his 1st interview with Sky he even said he touched the ball. 

Can't wait to see him stay on his feet when someone does that to him next week!! He'd be the first person crying to the ref.

I've got to agree with Shearer, Jenas and most of the others that the standard of refereeing is shocking.

Even with the Robertson tackle the ref thought it was only a yellow at first, when it was quite clearly a red from the word go! 🙄 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, St Darren said:

All of them awful. The ones on the pitch, the ones on VAR. 

Until they are held accountable for their performances then the standard will continue to be awful.

Totally agree Darren,it's ruining the game

Once upon a time there was an idea to continue the 18 yard line across the pitch to the touchline and any player the wrong side of this would be offside,simple as.Beginning to look more sensible by the day thanks to the current VAR mess.

' Up The Town '

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Do you seriously think an experiment with the 18 yard idea would ever be tried ? It's too simple an idea . During my long life I've discovered that it's easy to be critical of rules and organisations . Usually when you hear the reasoning behind the rules you can see the reason for them . However in the case of F.I.F.A.  I believe that they are a ri incarnation of the Marx Brothers  without the humour . Going back a few years , they banned  the back pass to the goalies hands , no real logic to it except  a feeble reason that it stopped time wasting .That really worked they now play the ball across the field and back .to waste time .  The recent handball  fiasco which was so complicated that nobody really understood it . This season it's been changed but still nobody understands it . The flagging for offside scenario ie. leaving the flag raising late , whoever thought of that and what's the logic behind it . It might work in professional football  with neutral , trained lines people , but what about the poor substitute who's handed the lino's flag on a wet afternoon in Meveggisey ?. Imagine the abuse they'll get with a late flag .These people don't seem to grasp that professional football is only the tip of the iceberg  in terms of football played  and what work at the top level doesn't necessarily work lower down .

Football is or should be a relatively simple game but the rule makers remind me of Lord Hives the great engineer from Rolls Royce . When Rolls took over the jet engine production from Frank Whittle , Hives was told " it's a basically simple engine " He replied " don't worry we'll soon take the simplicity out of it ".

ps I only used Meva as an example , I wasn't implying that the players at Meva are abusive .

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I should have added that one quite obvious rule to be implemented would be to prohibit substitutions after 75 minutes   also more severe punishment  for the practice of deliberate systematic fouling  of a danger player . By this I mean the practice of a player fouling another player persistently until he's boked an then another player takes over . By danger player I mean someone like St. Maxim at Newcastle or Grealish  ( when he plays ) .

End of sermon .

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 months later...

Another ridiculous decision by our incompetent officials. 

The refereeing team of Tierney and Cavanagh fail to see a clear handball. 

This being the same duo who failed to send off Harry Kane and give a penalty to Liverpool in the Liverpool v Spurs game. 

When are we going to get referees who apply the laws on a consistent basis. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, St Darren said:

Another ridiculous decision by our incompetent officials. 

The refereeing team of Tierney and Cavanagh fail to see a clear handball. 

This being the same duo who failed to send off Harry Kane and give a penalty to Liverpool in the Liverpool v Spurs game. 

When are we going to get referees who apply the laws on a consistent basis. 

Not sure you can put the blame on Tierney, I'd challenge any on field referee to get a clear view of it from that angle.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, bighairydave said:

Not sure you can put the blame on Tierney, I'd challenge any on field referee to get a clear view of it from that angle.

He's part of the refereeing team. The whole protocol of VAR is wrong. Why hasn't Cavanagh said go and look at it? 

Tierney could see its struck somewgere close to his arm, the crowd give a decent reaction! 

Then they come out afterwards and say that it should have been a penalty. Honestly, all of them are awful. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

50 minutes ago, St Darren said:

He's part of the refereeing team. The whole protocol of VAR is wrong. Why hasn't Cavanagh said go and look at it? 

Tierney could see its struck somewgere close to his arm, the crowd give a decent reaction! 

Then they come out afterwards and say that it should have been a penalty. Honestly, all of them are awful. 

If your are told though its fine you aren’t going to look anyway.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

50 minutes ago, bighairydave said:

If your are told though its fine you aren’t going to look anyway.

Hence the protocol being wrong. The VAR has made Tierney look worse.  I've no idea what Cavanagh saw. 

As Lampard said. It's incompetence at best. Now we can all read into what we think is worst!!! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

One of the main problems in the modern football world at the moment is the money involved . The older generation  watched the game for the entertainment value , in those days the Everton fans would have gone home fuming about the referee and disappointed with 2 points lost . Obviously they would have been more annoyed if it affected their relegation battle . Today however from the club perspective it's not just the humiliation of relegation it's the loss of £90 + million  per season , a sum badly needed to pay their astronomical wage bill . ( I  mean all clubs not just Everton ) . Has V.A.R.  made the situation worse ?  we now have a situation where it's not just the referee and his or her assistants  who are held to account but the V.A.R.  people monitoring the game .

Digressing from the post a bit , are the clubs partly to blame ? . I often wonder why they don't have more input into the rules of the game , after all they are the ones who have to abide by them . One or two things baffle me , I'm not the brightest of people I would never have to worry about M.E.N.S.A. crazing me to join . One is ....... a few seasons ago a sin bin system was introduced to village level football  in an effort to eradicate dissent . My man at the F.A.  says it was a great success  at that level . SO why hasn't it been adopted at the top level ?  Another why haven't they banned substitutions  after 75 or 80 minutes ? We all know that the majority are made in order to run down the clock and break up play . If they want to improve a game that , at the top level is becoming boring , why haven't they considered these things ? Most fans are sickened by the sight of  players surrounding the officials , waving imaginary cards etc , diving , wrestling at corners , if I wanted to watch wrestling I'd watch the circus at W.W. F. , people have complained about it for years but very little has been done to eradicate it . WHY ? 

Weather warm up here Older early blossom out , just waiting for the swallows and house martins to appear ( hopefully ) allotment  still to wet to do much .

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, fenman said:

One of the main problems in the modern football world at the moment is the money involved . The older generation  watched the game for the entertainment value , in those days the Everton fans would have gone home fuming about the referee and disappointed with 2 points lost . Obviously they would have been more annoyed if it affected their relegation battle . Today however from the club perspective it's not just the humiliation of relegation it's the loss of £90 + million  per season , a sum badly needed to pay their astronomical wage bill . ( I  mean all clubs not just Everton ) . Has V.A.R.  made the situation worse ?  we now have a situation where it's not just the referee and his or her assistants  who are held to account but the V.A.R.  people monitoring the game .

Digressing from the post a bit , are the clubs partly to blame ? . I often wonder why they don't have more input into the rules of the game , after all they are the ones who have to abide by them . One or two things baffle me , I'm not the brightest of people I would never have to worry about M.E.N.S.A. crazing me to join . One is ....... a few seasons ago a sin bin system was introduced to village level football  in an effort to eradicate dissent . My man at the F.A.  says it was a great success  at that level . SO why hasn't it been adopted at the top level ?  Another why haven't they banned substitutions  after 75 or 80 minutes ? We all know that the majority are made in order to run down the clock and break up play . If they want to improve a game that , at the top level is becoming boring , why haven't they considered these things ? Most fans are sickened by the sight of  players surrounding the officials , waving imaginary cards etc , diving , wrestling at corners , if I wanted to watch wrestling I'd watch the circus at W.W. F. , people have complained about it for years but very little has been done to eradicate it . WHY ? 

Weather warm up here Older early blossom out , just waiting for the swallows and house martins to appear ( hopefully ) allotment  still to wet to do much .

Warm-ish here but wet, wet, wet!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 01/03/2022 at 10:27, St Darren said:

And Mike Riley gas now apologised to Everton for the incorrect decision.  Oh great that's all fine then. 

Would like to hear the reasons that Kavanagh have for not giving a penalty. 

All of them.... Shite

Have you signed up for the referee's course yet then Darren ?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Keith B said:

Have you signed up for the referee's course yet then Darren ?

Why would I? That's not the question is it? 

Have you? 

Referees are not forced to do the job. They choose to do it. 

Like my job, I'm expected to get things right. If someone who's me where I've got something wrong, I then correct what I've done. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, St Darren said:

Why would I? That's not the question is it? 

Have you? 

Referees are not forced to do the job. They choose to do it. 

Like my job, I'm expected to get things right. If someone who's me where I've got something wrong, I then correct what I've done. 

 

Well said Darren - there's truth in what you say for sure.

No, I haven't signed up for it - I'm in my 79th year and have big health problems as well. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, B Manning said:

Like my job Darren only I think mine was far more responsible and no chance to go back and get it right, it had to be right first time plus I am also a referee.

The VAR (referee watching a video replay from multiple angles) couldn't get see that that was handball. 

As Lampard said. It's incompetence at best. 

In your job, what happened if you got it wrong? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Another error from Stuart Atwell (VAR) in failing to send off the Brighton keeper at the weekend. He's awful. 

The referee in the Chelsea v Newcastle game has an absolute stinker as well. 

Get rid of the absolute dross that are British referees and encourage international referees to come and ref in the Premier league 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
On 15/03/2022 at 12:04, St Darren said:

Another error from Stuart Atwell (VAR) in failing to send off the Brighton keeper at the weekend. He's awful. 

The referee in the Chelsea v Newcastle game has an absolute stinker as well. 

Get rid of the absolute dross that are British referees and encourage international referees to come and ref in the Premier league 

Our paper stated that Mike Dean is retiring at the end of the season Darren. Chin up 🙂.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Goldeneye said:

Your British  Darren, so if you were a referee you would be absolute dross as well! 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

10 hours ago, Goldeneye said:

Your British  Darren, so if you were a referee you would be absolute dross as well! 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

They're currently awful.  Why does it revert back to "why don't you ref" "you'd be shite as well". 

 

I'm not a referee, I don't want to be a referee. 

My point us that these referees get away with poor decisions week in week out and nothing gets done. 

VAR hasn't helped as it's still subjective on some of the decisions. Unfortunately Atwell is just awful at both codes. 

2 hours ago, Keith B said:

Our paper stated that Mike Dean is retiring at the end of the season Darren. Chin up 🙂.

 

Yeah. Hopefully John moss will be the next to go 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

I think that Wolves fans will totally agree with you  Darren . Jiminez was sent off for a second yellow against Leeds when he collided with the keeper  . Today  A Villa player collided with the Wolves keeper in identical scenario  and a penalty is given . I hesitate to be critical of referees and the Marx Brothers inspired V.A.R. system but I'm leaning toward your way of thinking Darren .

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Easy to be critical and hard to be impartial, but after the officiating in that game and the erratic eccentricities of Darren England in this encounter, patience is strained to breaking point. England was determined to let the game flow and that in itself is an admirable approach, but his leniency and inconsistency simply incensed both teams who were both pitched to boiling point with perceived injustices.

Inevitably, he surrendered control and a game that was never approaching any real measures of bad temper ended with an unseemly brawl. Premier League referees really are a grossly overrated species, convinced of their own infallibility, insufferably smug and worst of all, frequently incompetent. Truly a breed apart.

However, fear not; one semblance of succour emerged from a quiet Premier free week. That ham-actor, the thespian supreme, The Wirral’s very own antithesis to Sir Laurence Olivier, Mike ‘Nelly’ Dean has wiped the greasepaint off his whistle and with the dramatic tragicomedy reserved for RADA’s finest announced his retirement from refereeing.

No doubt with the intention of spending more time with himself to bolster his skyscraper of an ego. Narcissism never recruited a more committed, self-obsessed devotee; the brandishing of brightly coloured cards will never be administered with such theatrical aplomb ever again. Give yourself a red one Nelly! Exit stage left and please keep walking to the nearest diva’s dressing-room. Much overdue relief from a constant thorn in our side; extricated at long, long last. Sheer bliss! Heaven grant that Wolves avoid his final curtain call!

To save you the bother I've copied it Darren 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

A potential title decider this weekend, Manchester City v Liverpool. The PGMOL decide to give the game to:

Anthony Taylor from Greater Manchester

On VAR, Paul Tierney from Salford

Seriously, they do themselves no favours. Granted its hard finding competent officials in the first place but these two are going to come under scrutiny on Sunday either way they come at it. 

Perhaps Mike Dean could take over from Mike Riley. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...