Cornwall Football Forum

Referees in the Premier league.

St Darren

1 hour ago, Keith B said:

You don't see the 10 yard rule enforced these days. It may have been done away with in all the changes that have been made to the rules. I must ask my grandsons, two of them play. The sin bin can make a great difference, especially towards the end of the 80 minutes.

Not so much in football though keith. A manager just changed tactics. In Rugby you have set positions and when you're missing one of them there's a big hole. 

Apologies, you may have been taking about Rugby. I think the reason why you don't see the 10 yard rule enforced is because the players don't argue back. 

Just now, St Darren said:

Not so much in football though keith. A manager just changed tactics. In Rugby you have set positions and when you're missing one of them there's a big hole. 

Apologies, you may have been taking about Rugby. I think the reason why you don't see the 10 yard rule enforced is because the players don't argue back. 

Also the players/captain us allowed to ask a question to the referee in Rugby. No chance of they in football 

Sin bin Darren , interesting subject which makes you wonder about the people who run the game . Sin bins as you know were introduced at what I call village football level a few seasons ago for persistent dissent . Apparently it was a great success , recently I was at an F.A.  meeting  and I asked an F.A. official why , if it was so successful  at the bottom end , had it not been introduced at the prima dona end . He said that he had no idea as far as he knew the matter had never been discussed  for the top level . I hesitate to be critical but why is such an obvious rule , designed to prevent the constant berating of officials by overpaid prima donnas , not even considered ? With my warped brain I often think  that certain players in certain clubs ( most Premiership clubs probably ) are paid an awful lot of money , recieve a huge amount of money as a cut of their transfer fee , then don't perform on the pitch , yet they have the audacity to tell the officials their job .Perhaps the constant whinging by the players is one of the reasons officials make the errors that they do , by the constant pressure they are put under . 10 minutes in the sin bin might help .

5 hours ago, fenman said:

Sin bin Darren , interesting subject which makes you wonder about the people who run the game . Sin bins as you know were introduced at what I call village football level a few seasons ago for persistent dissent . Apparently it was a great success , recently I was at an F.A.  meeting  and I asked an F.A. official why , if it was so successful  at the bottom end , had it not been introduced at the prima dona end . He said that he had no idea as far as he knew the matter had never been discussed  for the top level . I hesitate to be critical but why is such an obvious rule , designed to prevent the constant berating of officials by overpaid prima donnas , not even considered ? With my warped brain I often think  that certain players in certain clubs ( most Premiership clubs probably ) are paid an awful lot of money , recieve a huge amount of money as a cut of their transfer fee , then don't perform on the pitch , yet they have the audacity to tell the officials their job .Perhaps the constant whinging by the players is one of the reasons officials make the errors that they do , by the constant pressure they are put under . 10 minutes in the sin bin might help .

It’s obviously not TV friendly. The first one that always comes to mind is Wayne Rooney. Think he would have been in there every game.

Your'e probably right Baldy  , television companies seem to dictate match times , fixtures ( never mind the fans going from Southampton to Newcastle on a Monday night we pay the money ) and every thing else , perhaps that are consulted on the rules .On a serious note I gather that playing with 10 or even 9 men for 10 minutes every few games did keep a few lips buttoned .

• 3 weeks later...
23 hours ago, Goldeneye said:

If you look online you will see that foreign supporters don't think a lot of their referees either!!

I think you're right and watching some European games I'd agree. I would just like to see a change in it. 

That or referees actually being better. 

• 4 months later...
2 hours ago, Dave Deacon said:

It makes one laugh really Darren! Local refs get a lot of stick with the main reason being inconsistency, but having watched Match of the Day this Saturday is it any surprise when at the top level they aren’t blowing from the same whistle! 😱

Absolutely horrendous decisions. The West Ham one is just ridiculous. I'd like to hear the VAR reasons for giving a free kick. 

It was refreshing to see Oliver stick with his decision on the Forest Penalty. 

The linesman in the Villa City game needs to be left out next week, not offside and the ball has gone backwards. What's he watching? 

45 minutes ago, Keith B said:

I think they should keep goal line technology, ditch VAR, and let the referee get on with his job without interference. Showing replays on TV doesn't help at all. 

It's the humans that control VAR.  They're the ones that are incompetent. There is no British representation for VAR at the World Cup. 

Possibly because they interfere at the wrong times. 

Pure incompetence. 

On 04/09/2022 at 12:53, St Darren said:

Absolutely horrendous decisions. The West Ham one is just ridiculous. I'd like to hear the VAR reasons for giving a free kick. 

It was refreshing to see Oliver stick with his decision on the Forest Penalty. 

The linesman in the Villa City game needs to be left out next week, not offside and the ball has gone backwards. What's he watching? 

Ball going backwards alone wouldn't have deemed it onside!

• 1 month later...
10 hours ago, bighairydave said:

Thought Antony Taylor was alright from the part I watched (granted it was a foul on Salah though) and rightly got rid of Klopp. You just can't do that.

Agree. Klopp deserved to be sent off. But he was, so mad about the incompetence of not giving a clear foul thst he's going mad, why didn't the lino give it.  Awful. 

Referees need to ref a game of football in the way it's meant to be refereed and not the occasion. 

I'm not sure what Salah has to do to get a free kick. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
12 minutes ago, GaryHocking said:

Second time this season Arsenal have received a formal PGMOL apology for a VAR error that potentially resulted in a change to the outcome of the game 

Plus the insidents they got away with againbst Liverpool.  An offside goal and a penalty not given for handball. 

VAR is still being run by incompetent people. Offside is objective and they still manage to get it wrong. 

Assuming your are a Liverpool fan St. Darren , you probably don't have much sympathy for Wolves after the bizarre circumstances where their goal was disallowed in their cup tie with Liverpool . It seems that nobody , other than the referee knows why , when or  how a Wolves player was offside . Saturdays game was equally bizarre with a second yellow for a Wolves player who was the third player to approach the referee which broke a little known rule .

HoVery interesting quote on twitter by ex ref Mark Halsey and I quote "I have been in that situation, when I have seen an incident and been told to say I havent seen it. To be fair to the FA it's not them. It comes from PGMOL. It doesnt stop there. We've been told to give a certain amount of corners or throw ins, fouls, bookings etc. The prem league is rife with spot fixing and bias towards certain clubs from the FA. Every referee in the EPL could be infront of a court one day soonw about this .

3 minutes ago, fenman said:

Assuming your are a Liverpool fan St. Darren , you probably don't have much sympathy for Wolves after the bizarre circumstances where their goal was disallowed in their cup tie with Liverpool . It seems that nobody , other than the referee knows why , when or  how a Wolves player was offside . Saturdays game was equally bizarre with a second yellow for a Wolves player who was the third player to approach the referee which broke a little known rule .

HoVery interesting quote on twitter by ex ref Mark Halsey and I quote "I have been in that situation, when I have seen an incident and been told to say I havent seen it. To be fair to the FA it's not them. It comes from PGMOL. It doesnt stop there. We've been told to give a certain amount of corners or throw ins, fouls, bookings etc. The prem league is rife with spot fixing and bias towards certain clubs from the FA. Every referee in the EPL could be infront of a court one day soonw about this .

I'm happy to say it as it is.  The Wolves goal against Liverpool was the same situation as Arsenal's goal against Liverpool where the var couldn't pick it up. Its daft. More daft in thst game is that Salahs goal was allowed to stand because a Wolves player has made an attempt at playing the ball! Absolutely ludicrous law as Salah was about 4 yards offside when the initial ball was played. 

No longer are we playing the same laws throughout football. 

The English Premier League is one of the best  football leagues in the world, probably actually the best. Players are recruited from all over the globe to play in this best of all leagues, and paid the best wages for doing so. 

Has now maybe the time come for the best football league in the world also to recruit the world’s best referees? To seriously professionalise refereeing as a part of the sport in England, paying whatever is necessary so that the best league with the best players also has the best referees? 

20 minutes ago, GaryHocking said:

The English Premier League is one of the best  football leagues in the world, probably actually the best. Players are recruited from all over the globe to play in this best of all leagues, and paid the best wages for doing so. 

Has now maybe the time come for the best football league in the world also to recruit the world’s best referees? To seriously professionalise refereeing as a part of the sport in England, paying whatever is necessary so that the best league with the best players also has the best referees? 

Because the FA and the referees are so far up their own backsides, thry believe they're the best

• 3 weeks later...

Harping back to my comments about the second yellow given to the Wolves player for being the third player to approach the referee  , it seems that that rule only applied to that particular game .I'm slowly coming to agree with you St. Darren .

St. Darren couldn't have put it better 

Absolutely nothing Howard Webb’s bunch of preening Charlies do in bringing their own version of The National Lottery into chaotic disrepute registers one jot. Stan Laurel and Oliver Hardy couldn’t have bettered the script for this one; the level of incompetence is beyond ridicule; almost on a weekly basis, this farcical nonsense is an on-going embarrassment, an absolute blight on the game; shamefully unfit for purpose and seemingly operated by charlatans.

Come season’s end, this injustice might count for absolutely nothing; conversely and without being melodramatic, such nonsense might cost us our place in the Premier League. The highest level of the professional system in this country subject to the vagaries of buffoonery; we should be staggered, instead we simply wait for the next instalment of madness which trust me, won’t be long in coming.

Extract from journalist report Newcastle  v Wolves 

• 4 weeks later...
19 minutes ago, Dave Deacon said:

Question to anyone who watches pro top level football in other neighbouring European countries - how are they getting on with VAR? 

Follow Dale Johnson espn on twitter and he has loads of stuff on there. There's problems around but not as bad as the incompetence/inconsistencies we have. 

There's been some big glaring errors though. 

Perhaps allowing foreign referees into our game will improve it all. 

23 minutes ago, BrummyBarry said:

Do you think the problem isn't the referees but what they are being told? It has to be a clear and obvious error by the referee. Surely they need to do away with that

You'd never get a game finished if they went by that. 

It's the interpretations of the laws that is worrying. 

Saka kicked the ball away yesterday, no yellow. Rhodri did a pull back just after he'd already been booked, no yellow. Andy Robertson screams foul and abusive language in front of a lino, no yellow. Loads of blatant dives when no pens are given, no yellows. 

Honestly, they're all awful at applying basic laws of the game. Thryre so caught up in ensuring thst thry get any big decision correct thry fail to do everything else. 

As for the amount of gamesmanship and time wasting thst is something thst really needs looking at. 

I think itss more to do with the stakeholders in the game thats ruining it Imagine people paying all that money to see haland play for city. But he scuffs the ground and gets a yellow card and then pretends to take a Throw in and gets a second yellow card. Both have to be given (thanks to the ref I asked to name two mandatory yellows).imagine the outrage at it.tyeres more to it and as fans we see all this, refs see it but there must be reasons.i thought the ref in the Liverpool game yesterday was brilliant considering what he had to deal with

1 hour ago, Lee Mitchell said:

I personally think that our total Football referee set up is at fault. Not grass root County level but the FA structure looking after referee world. It’s why I retired early 

If referee had the backing and also applied the laws accordingly thrm there would be less issues. 

I have had a local referee not allow anyone to talk to him at Junior level then when I watched him at South Western league running the line, he had all sorts shouted at him and never did anything. Why not? My opinion was because he thought he was better than all those he was refereeing, then you get the lack of respect. 

The FA and world football have an opportunity to stop the descent towards officials by allowing them to stamp down on it by issuing cards. It's simple. 

34 minutes ago, St Darren said:

If referee had the backing and also applied the laws accordingly thrm there would be less issues. 

I have had a local referee not allow anyone to talk to him at Junior level then when I watched him at South Western league running the line, he had all sorts shouted at him and never did anything. Why not? My opinion was because he thought he was better than all those he was refereeing, then you get the lack of respect. 

The FA and world football have an opportunity to stop the descent towards officials by allowing them to stamp down on it by issuing cards. It's simple. 

Its because when he/she is on the line he/she cares about the referee in the middle and doesnt want to cause issues