Cornwall Football Forum

RGB Cornwall Senior Cup - Sat Feb 11 2017

55 minutes ago, Bobjfh said:

It's the cup, so anything can happen - you would expect Bodmin and Saltash to win relatively comfortably but the other two games could go either way?

To be honest/realistic 'Bobjfh' you would Expect all the Premier Division clubs that are facing lower league opposition to make it through to the next round. Saltash being at home,  Bodmin & Newquay being away but playing sides from a lower leagues so it would be very hard to see a cup upset, Millbrook were only saved from folding last week & are not in the top 3/4 of their league although Newquay are poor, I should imagine they will have to much for a team in the division below. Torpoint just to edge Falmouth & the tie of the round?

Should be a great day of sport at Ludgvan today with the Hurlers taking on the mighty Bodmin Town.Lets hope the lads do themselves proud and have a good go at them.No wind or rain today so conditions should be good for both teams.What a great way to spend a Saturday,the possibility of a giantkilling in the cup followed by Wales v England in the 6nations and also Liverpool v Spurs in the Club Bar!! Come on you Hurlers!

1 hour ago, wingman said:

Should be a great day of sport at Ludgvan today with the Hurlers taking on the mighty Bodmin Town.Lets hope the lads do themselves proud and have a good go at them.No wind or rain today so conditions should be good for both teams.What a great way to spend a Saturday,the possibility of a giantkilling in the cup followed by Wales v England in the 6nations and also Liverpool v Spurs in the Club Bar!! Come on you Hurlers!

Game also being taken in as a featured match on Radio Cornwall.

Ludgvan 3-3 (aet) Bodmin Town (Bodmin win 5-4 on penalties)

Fantastic effort by the Hurlers who took SWPL side Bodmin all the way at Fair Field. 

The score was 1-1 after normal time and the visitors looked to have put the tie to bed when they scored two goals (the first of which coming from the penalty spot) in the first half of extra-time. Ludgvan kept fighting and pulled it back to 3-3 but ultimately came up short in the shoot-out. 

Still, all the lads deserve great credit for the shift they put in against opposition who were fancied to put 'several' past them before the game. From watching the game you certainly wouldn't have known the visitors play two leagues higher. 

5 minutes ago, Hurler said:

Ludgvan 3-3 (aet) Bodmin Town (Bodmin win 5-4 on penalties)

Fantastic effort by the Hurlers who took SWPL side Bodmin all the way at Fair Field. 

The score was 1-1 after normal time and the visitors looked to have put the tie to bed when they scored two goals (the first of which coming from the penalty spot) in the first half of extra-time. Ludgvan kept fighting and pulled it back to 3-3 but ultimately came up short in the shoot-out. 

Still, all the lads deserve great credit for the shift they put in against opposition who were fancied to put 'several' past them before the game. From watching the game you certainly wouldn't have known the visitors play two leagues higher. 

Fantastic effort from Ludgvan, nice set up down there too 

Very well done to Ludgvan who came back from 0-1 and 1-3 down to level and make Bodmin work hard for their money.

Well done too to Saltash, Millbrook and Falmouth who reach the semi final for the first time since 2008 with a 3-2 win at Torpoint, proving Big Al and myself wrong.

14 minutes ago, paul pearce said:

Yes well done to Ludgvan but. Thou I wasn't at the game, how come a team that expires 2 win all competitions they are left in turn up with 1 sub. And one of starting 11 from their second string. 2 cocky or trouble in the camp. Anyone subscribed on here a Bodmin supporter please put me straight

Don't panic for us Paul old friend, we are in the hat for the next round! Don't get any special prizes for only making the Semi Finals. Well done to Ludgvan, cracking set up, friendly people....just a bit far away!! Good luck for the rest of the season, now about to stop of at The Blue Anchor for a Red Wine Spritzer, I need it after today. Hope for Newquay in the next round (probably along with Falmouth & Saltash!)

1 hour ago, paul pearce said:

Yes well done to Ludgvan but. Thou I wasn't at the game, how come a team that expires 2 win all competitions they are left in turn up with 1 sub. And one of starting 11 from their second string. 2 cocky or trouble in the camp. Anyone subscribed on here a Bodmin supporter please put me straight

Think you'll find it probably suspension's, injury's or illness the only reason for this ..

1 hour ago, paul pearce said:

As a Bodmin supporter I was wondering the same thing.I thought Ludgvan deserved the win to be honest.

1 hour ago, Cornishfan74 said:

When will the senior cup semi final draw take place?

Saturday.

It was a shame that Bodmin players took to using the colourful language they did and more of a pity the referee didn't clamp down on it.

What a belter of a cuptie ,best game at Fairfield for years.Ludgvan gave it everything they had and more The Ludgvan back 4 were superb in keeping the big Bodmin Number 9 quiet and the midfield snapped and snarled at them all afternoon.Unfortunately a dodgy penalty decision at 1-1 changed the flow of the match and allowed Bodmin to take control.When they went 3-1 up it looked all over,but Ludgvan stepped up and found a third wind from somewhere and when the impressive Zac Williams scored with a powerful header from a corner it was game on.With 4 minutes remaining and with Ludgvan pressing hard for the equalizer the ever dependable G-Man Gerrans dribbled to the edge of the box and smashed the ball into the top corner of the Bodmin net to take the match to a penalty shootout.All credit to Bodmin they took their penalties perfectly and their keeper produced a blinding save to win them the game.I don't think Bodmin would like to play us every week,they certainly knew they were in a game today.Great advertisement for Cornish cup football a fantastic effort from both teams.

Massive well done to Ludgvan and Holmans today!!! Done the Combo league proud both of you. To play two of the top sides in the county and let them know they've been in a game is testament to the very good players that are playing in this league. A lot of SWPL Premier sides have come away from the Kimberly Stadium with a bigger defeat than Holmans did today and in Ludgvans case to play 120 minutes against Bodmin and still not be beaten is remarkable. Well done to both clubs, you may not have gone through but you're both winners in many other ways. ⚽????

11 hours ago, wingman said:

The Ludgvan lads were gutted to lose on pens they couldn't of given much more and they were all a real credit to the club and the combo league.I think Bodmins name is on the cup after today,they dodged a bullet today.

If Bodmin draw Saltash in the semi, that will be an intriguing tie, plus one of the underdogs will also reach the final.

Probably not but from where I stood the keeper and possibly the number 11 managed to get the f word about 6-7 times into the same sentence with the referee close by in one instance and in talking to him in the second.

Great to read that effort from Ludgvan and that Holmans put in a good effort - shows why cup football is great.

Onto the semi final for the Ashes - winning against lower league opposition should always be appreciated, I remember putting on Radio Cornwall a few years ago and hearing we had lost - that was the cup hopes over there and then. In reply to Willow Tree's post above if Saltash and Bodmin were drawn together - it would be an intriguing tie indeed. I just hope we can make the cup final and if it means we would have to beat Bodmin go get there then we would have to beat Bodmin. Looking forward to the draw next weekend.

Millbrook 2 Newquay 4

Within a matter of minutes Millbrook took the lead after poor defending on the left hand side, Newquay were controlling possession and soon levelled after some neat passes lead to the cross being headed in. After 35 minutes Newquay's keeper was sent off for handling outside the box. The young centre midfielder had to go in goal for the away team. Millbrook scored from the resulting penalty and lead 2-1 at half time. With 10 men Newquay were superb second half scoring 3 to comeback and win 4-2 which the step in keeper making a vital save at 3-2. Well done to both teams, good club at Millbrook, whilst Newquay are surely massive underdogs for the cup.