Cornwall Football Forum

Game Off - Waterlogged Pitch at Gala Park

Ludgvan AFC were scheduled to play Porthleven AFC tonight, this has been called off due to a waterlogged pitch.

This is the current state of the playing surface:

e69cd90d-ab36-4587-b7e0-04b2cb14a4ed_zpsho3esusx.thumb.jpg.6a29723a4c42aee828b1c950bfab98e4.jpg

With so many games called off and rescheduled surely this isn't acceptable? The surface is bone dry and 100% playable. It makes a mockery of the league and the teams that do actually play games when they can call them off.

31 minutes ago, local_boy said:

Ludgvan AFC were scheduled to play Porthleven AFC tonight, this has been called off due to a waterlogged pitch.

e69cd90d-ab36-4587-b7e0-04b2cb14a4ed_zpsho3esusx.thumb.jpg.6a29723a4c42aee828b1c950bfab98e4.jpg

With so many games called off and rescheduled surely this isn't acceptable? The surface is bone dry and 100% playable. It makes a mockery of the league and the teams that do actually play games when they can call them off.

But it wasn’t called off by the club!? So how can you blame them?

12 hours ago, bighairydave said:

12 hours ago, bighairydave said:
13 hours ago, local_boy said:

gvan AFC were scheduled to play Porthleven AFC tonight, this has been called off due to a waterlogged pitch.

Oops, don't expect anyone thought someone would bother to come to Porthleven to take this photograph, no sign of the standing water that was shown in the original tweet, which appears to have been taken from the same spot.       Whatever the true story of this escapade is ,at the very least Porthleven should explain why a photograph apparantly taken last Friday, was used in their original tweet which was misleading to say the least.

37 minutes ago, We Two said:

Oops, don't expect anyone thought someone would bother to come to Porthleven to take this photograph, no sign of the standing water that was shown in the original tweet, which appears to have been taken from the same spot.       Whatever the true story of this escapade is ,at the very least Porthleven should explain why a photograph apparantly taken last Friday, was used in their original tweet which was misleading to say the least.

Last Saturday, i happened to be in porthleven with the family, as we walked down to the little harbour, looking onto the pitch and the picture in the tweet was exactly as it was, the groundsman was out with a pump, pumping the surface water off into the river and forking out the other soft areas. I saw it with my own eyes so not sure how people can really argue. Can only think, that it was assumed that with the other night rain, the pitch was in a similar state again yesterday, when in fact, it wasnt. A match referee (not the one who was supposed to be refereeing it) called it off. Baffles everyone, from what i can see on twitter, porthleven players similarly disappointed. Understand theyve now got 3 games in 5 (midweek days) now so no one is a winner

50 minutes ago, leedsunited said:

Out of curiosity, Why has no one come forward with the Referee's name who carried out the Inspection? 

Also be interesting to know why the original tweet included a photo taken on the previous Friday and was seemingly not representative of the condition of the pitch on match day.
Someone is responsible for the tweet, and probably has a concise and straightforward answer, if so please put us out of our misery

2 minutes ago, We Two said:

Also be interesting to know why the original tweet included a photo taken on the previous Friday and was seemingly not representative of the condition of the pitch on match day.
Someone is responsible for the tweet, and probably has a concise and straightforward answer, if so please put us out of our misery

by the looks of it, I'd say that the tweet was an assumption meaning "not sure what the pitch actually looks like, but this is what it looked like on friday following heavy rain so i assume its something similar" or something along those lines?  

Why did the ref call the game off so early anyway? couldve at least reviewed at 4/5pm to give the pitch more time to recover (and looking at Wade Browns pictures, it wouldve been fine)

If Porthleven had waited until 4/5pm to call the game off they would of been slagged off because players/managers/officials  would be on thier way/already there. I don't know who the ref was who called the game off but i can guarantee that what ever they did it would of been the wrong way to postpone a game. ?

24 minutes ago, Anita said:

If Porthleven had waited until 4/5pm to call the game off they would of been slagged off because players/managers/officials  would be on thier way/already there. I don't know who the ref was who called the game off but i can guarantee that what ever they did it would of been the wrong way to postpone a game. ?

So Porthleven were going to call the game off regardless? 

1 hour ago, local_boy said:

So Porthleven were going to call the game off regardless? 

I never said that. I didn't know the game was off until i saw it on here. I just know from previous posts if a team left it until later to call game off they have done wrong because players have already arrived at the ground or be on thier way. 

Just found out who the ref was who deemed the pitch unplayable, a Level 4.....?

1 hour ago, Anita said:

Fair enough if it was a team travelling down from Plymouth but I am sure a Cornish side didn’t need notifying at 12pm. Makes no sense whatsoever. Along with the waterlogged photo 5 days prior. I’m sure it’ll all get swept under the carpet anyway.

3 minutes ago, We Two said:

Just needs a Porthleven official to explain the use of the tweet that was 5 days old and not representative of the ground condition 5 days later.

I think you've kind of answered your own issue there... a tweet containing a photo that was 5 days old, that wasnt representative of the ground condition 5 days later. re my previous post, looks more like an assumption rather than a statement of fact... 

2 hours ago, We Two said:

Just needs a Porthleven official to explain the use of the tweet that was 5 days old and not representative of the ground condition 5 days later.

I believe the Twitter page is run by a player who is currently in Portsmouth and used the photo to best show what the ground looked like from what was described to him. Therefore I don’t think the photo is meant to be misleading but I understand these comments.

Porthleven struggling to get a team is my guess. 

Used the rain from the previous day as a cover to get the game called off. 

The evidence is clear that the pitch was fine to play. Ludgvan is less than 20 minutes away from Porthleven so there was no need to call the game off that early. 

As I have said in a previous post the ref and club should be ashamed of themselves and be honest to the reason why the game was postponed. Hiding behind an unplayable pitch at midday is not exceptable. As the evidence from videos and photos clearly show the pitch looking in a very playable state. 

Nothing will be done which is a shower of in my personal opinion. 

6 hours ago, Del Boy said:

Porthleven struggling to get a team is my guess. 

Used the rain from the previous day as a cover to get the game called off. 

The evidence is clear that the pitch was fine to play. Ludgvan is less than 20 minutes away from Porthleven so there was no need to call the game off that early. 

As I have said in a previous post the ref and club should be ashamed of themselves and be honest to the reason why the game was postponed. Hiding behind an unplayable pitch at midday is not exceptable. As the evidence from videos and photos clearly show the pitch looking in a very playable state. 

Nothing will be done which is a shower of in my personal opinion. 

It’s a good thing that your opinion counts for all and that people with a brain have to make decisions. 

I believe the ref would only have called the game off because it was in the health and safety of the players and no other reason. 

But it is a shame that the game was called off I reckon it would have been great to watch.

Christ! This looks really fishy! ?

Interesting to see the Ludgvan player who went to the pitch & took the Pictures saying it was completely playable & had even walked across the pitch. Saw on twitter someone from Helston also posting a picture which again suggested it playable. Makes Porthleven look very amateur by these pictures. 

8 hours ago, Anita said:

Yup, correct, the referee can never win in these situations.

Just because a ground "looks" good to play on does not mean it is.

2 hours ago, No. 5 said:

It’s a good thing that your opinion counts for fuck all and that people with a brain have to make decisions. 

I believe the ref would only have called the game off because it was in the health and safety of the players and no other reason. 

But it is a shame that the game was called off I reckon it would have been great to watch.

Players ‘health and safety’ don’t make me laugh No5. Only health and safety would of been to make sure all the players had sun cream on as it was a lovely Cornish evening/day. 

Porthleven had a number of players away and struggling to get a full side. Wake up and smell the coffee. 

Porthleven have got a reserve team of which several have played for the 1st team this season and were out of the title race after blowing it at home to Holsworthy last Saturday so don’t think that’s the reason!? Agree with with Older who knows a thing or two about pitches by the way, and Gala Parc gets soft as after a days rain. Can’t see an honest club like Port taking the like that. Is the game not being played next midweek anyway? Nothing to cry about really is it?

I park in the football club car park as I work in RGB. I walked past this pitch everyday, and on Wednesday it was waterlogged. 2-3inches of water, I know because I walked on it with the groundman and my boots were soaking! It’s not that hard to understand. Some pitches hold more water than others. The groundsman is always there working on the pitch trying to get it playable for games. So to say they cancelled it for any other reason is just ridiculous. 

1 hour ago, Anita said:

The fixture didnt go ahead because of a waterlogged pitch (already been answered). The referee called it off because in his/her opinion it was unplayable. 

A load of codgwollop  - pitch perfectly playable !

2 hours ago, Sticker Forever said:

You wouldn’t know if Bickland was playable though would you!!!

I always know when it is playable in my opinion, I go past it 5 or 6 times a day

Just now, mattelot said:

Ignore him mate .he's after another wind up !

Ignorance is bliss !