Cornwall Football Forum

RESULTS - Saturday 6th through to Thursday 11th April 2024

WL

PREMIER DIVISION

Saturday April 6, 2024

Bridgwater United   5-3      Ilfracombe Town

Buckland Athletic   P-P       Shepton Mallet

Falmouth Town   4-0         Clevedon Town

Helston Athletic  4-0         Saltash United (played at Coach Road, Newton Abbot)

Millbrook            P-P         Oldland Abbotonians

Nailsea & Tickenham   2-1      Brixham

St Blazey              P-P         Welton Rovers

Street                   0-4         Barnstaple Town

Tuesday April 9, 2024

Barnstaple Town       2-1         Clevedon Town

Buckland Athletic   0-0            Brixham

Ilfracombe Town     4-1            Millbrook

Shepton Mallet     2-1        Oldland Abbotonians

Torpoint Athletic      1-4           Saltash United

Wellington             0-1              Falmouth Town

Welton Rovers      0-0              Nailsea & Tickenham

Thursday April 11, 2024

Ilfracombe Town     2-5              Barnstaple Town

Oldland Abbotonians   3-3     Welton Rovers     

St Blazey v Welton Rovers. OFF

Pitch just waterlogged. With the fact Welton were bringing a coach there was no point waiting to make a decision tomorrow. The pitch isn't going to recover even if it stayed dry. And it's still raining here anyway. 

The pitch itself was lush and green 2 months ago. Its now very yellow looking in places were the grass has sat in water for so long.

The pitch machinery has only been on the pitch twice in over 6 weeks!! By now we should be on it at least twice a week, more if there's more mid week football with cup semi finals etc.

With the reserves due to play at home on Tuesday and a semi final on Wednesday night, we are desperate for some dry weather now. 

from memory at end of last season there were  in effect 5 in/up down and sideways. so would imagine 2 relagations again

bitton pulled out mid season so were considered bottom team and keysham relagated although bitton resurfaced to be put in wetern 1 this season.

cadbury heath took voluntary demotion and mousehole were promoted. fa then also sideways moved sherborne to wessex league

with there being 2 promoted teams this seasom

so  table   asi t stands would see  2 of top 5 promoted bottom 2 down  so millbrook to swpl welton western 1 being replaced by 2 from western 1 champioms plus a playoff winner and 1 each up from swpl east and west and current southern league bottom team paulton in.

that would see fa look at possibly if pattern follows last season sideways movement of shepton to wessex league or may even instead of paulton in put them in hellenic league.

all ifs and buts and that does nt even take into account if any voluntary demotions which would change thigs again

6 hours ago, Numpty said:

from memory at end of last season there were  in effect 5 in/up down and sideways. so would imagine 2 relagations again

bitton pulled out mid season so were considered bottom team and keysham relagated although bitton resurfaced to be put in wetern 1 this season.

cadbury heath took voluntary demotion and mousehole were promoted. fa then also sideways moved sherborne to wessex league

with there being 2 promoted teams this seasom

so  table   asi t stands would see  2 of top 5 promoted bottom 2 down  so millbrook to swpl welton western 1 being replaced by 2 from western 1 champioms plus a playoff winner and 1 each up from swpl east and west and current southern league bottom team paulton in.

that would see fa look at possibly if pattern follows last season sideways movement of shepton to wessex league or may even instead of paulton in put them in hellenic league.

all ifs and buts and that does nt even take into account if any voluntary demotions which would change thigs again

Can't see Shepton going Wessex or Paulton to Hellenic as neither are in those league's footprint. Could see Oldland possibly going Hellenic, as they are further east. 

Millbrook shouldn’t be anywhere near the western league. They struggle in the SWPL 

Saltash and st blazey need massive improvements in the squad 

I do think the likes of ivybridge and possibly liskeard going into the western league next season will make it much stronger . 

The first few seasons of automatic promotion have mostly gone well for Cornish clubs but now that the "bigger" teams have gone up, is it now leaving just the "average" teams who would normally have no chance of winning the SWPL and therefore gaining promotion?

It's like taking the usual top six sides off the Premiership, leaving the also-rans to be English Champions.

34 minutes ago, cornishteddyboy said:

It's like taking the usual top six sides off the Premiership, leaving the also-rans to be English Champions.

The proposed European Super League came about because there is no promotion from the Premier League, nor from the top divisions anywhere else. What would happen to the winners of such a league? Would they then create a World League?

With any "Pyramid" system, you cannot rise higher than the top! The main thing is that there is a clear path-way to get there.

6 hours ago, sportsman10 said:

Millbrook shouldn’t be anywhere near the western league. They struggle in the SWPL 

Saltash and st blazey need massive improvements in the squad 

I do think the likes of ivybridge and possibly liskeard going into the western league next season will make it much stronger . 

Considering both St Blazey and Saltash both lost so many players both clubs have had good challenging seasons, in the case of Saltash I've felt for a long time they are short of a goalscorer that would take pressure off of them.

Who knows whose remaining from this year's squads at Ivy bridge or Liskeard, if they all remain then you'd expect them to be competitive, if a few or all move on then they could find themselves in a similar position to the clubs mentioned.

If Helston and Falmouth were to be promoted, I'd imagine they'd be looking to recruit again, as with  the extra travelling both in a higher league could be looking for additional numbers as some players don't fancy or can't do the additional travel and have the time that entails.

Be an interesting recruitment period depending on whose promoted.

59 minutes ago, Railwayman in Exile said:

Considering both St Blazey and Saltash both lost so many players both clubs have had good challenging seasons, in the case of Saltash I've felt for a long time they are short of a goalscorer that would take pressure off of them.

Who knows whose remaining from this year's squads at Ivy bridge or Liskeard, if they all remain then you'd expect them to be competitive, if a few or all move on then they could find themselves in a similar position to the clubs mentioned.

If Helston and Falmouth were to be promoted, I'd imagine they'd be looking to recruit again, as with  the extra travelling both in a higher league could be looking for additional numbers as some players don't fancy or can't do the additional travel and have the time that entails.

Be an interesting recruitment period depending on whose promoted.

Yes, if all the scenarios above happen as you've described, could be a very interesting summer for transfer movements. The great unknown is how many players in the promoted teams can't or won't commit to the extra travelling commitments.  Happens to a certain degree every season.

Just now, Ian Pethick said:

Yes, if all the scenarios above happen as you've described, could be a very interesting summer for transfer movements. The great unknown is how many players in the promoted teams can't or won't commit to the extra travelling commitments.  Happens to a certain degree every season.

That's my point, until everything lands you can't predict who is strong and with one Cornish club leaving the Western league as a minimum, if it's two, now that will be interesting, you'd almost need to start recruitment now..

Falmouth left Wellington with 3 points and a huge amount of thanks to some favourable refereeing.

With 3 minutes to go the linesman was signaling for a sub and the Wellington bench was holding up the board but for some reason the ref decided to ignore that and restart the game. With the Wellington players thinking a sub was happening Falmouth started an attack  leaving Wellington slightly unorganised and the linesman out of position. From there a Falmouth cross from the right hand was cleared to Annear who from about 25 yards out struck the ball ferociously with his left foot which took a nick of someone on the way through and nestled in the keepers left hand corner. Whether the nick made any difference or not I'm not sure but either way it was a fantastic strike.

You'd have thought that was game over but the ref was to have another big impact on the game. Deep in to stoppage time Wellington were denied as blatant a penalty as you are likely to see. A low Wellington cross into the box was completely misjudged by a Falmouth player who instead of just clearing the ball with his foot ended up on all fours and caught the ball between his hands. One of the worst decisions I have ever seen in all my years watching football. 

Torpoint Athletic 1-4 Saltash United

Toolstation Western League, Premier Division

Saltash United moved up a place to 14th in the league table on Tuesday evening at The Mill after their comprehensive win against their hosts Torpoint Athletic, with Joe Preece for the visitors getting a brace.

After a hotly contested first five minutes of the match, good build up play by Jack Curtis finds Ben Fowles in the area to see his angle shot well saved by home keeper Ryan Rickard.

On the tenth minute The Ashes take the lead when Tylor Love-Homes crosses the ball, which bounces over a home defender for Jack Curtis to head home from six yards.

On the 25th minute Darren Hicks for the hosts, puts a ball through to Ryan Richards, who left footed effort is well saved by visiting keeper Jordan Duffey. Then a minute a later Isaac McCue’s free kick on the edge of the area curls around the visitors wall and just over the cross bar.

Right on half time the visitors double their lead when a long ball from Duffey bounces over the Torpoint keeper to find Tylor Love-Holmes with a open goal, to easily slot the ball home.

Just before the hour mark, The Ashes extend their lead when a ball is put through the home defence to find Joe Preece to fire home from 10 yards.

Two minutes later the hosts have a lifeline, when Gary Hird is brought down in the area for Ryan Richards to covert the penalty, sending Duffey the wrong way and reducing the arrears to two goals

With nine minutes remaining, the visitors restored their three goal advantage when Joe Preece fires home through a crowded penalty area to complete the scoring and his brace.

Torpoint Athletic: R. Rickard, S. Rutter (C. Pritchard 72), D. Hicks, O. Haslam, S. Hillson, D. Murray (M. Lucas 64), J. Rowe, P. Heveran (J. Wood 54), R. Smith (J. Pope 83), R. Richards, I. McCue (G. Hird 54).

Subs not used:  All used

Bookings:  None

Torpoint scorers: R. Richards 61 pen.

Saltash United: J. Duffey, T. Love-Holmes, E. Wright, E. Goodman, T. Yendle (S. Cox 75), L. Murray (B. Goulty 35), T. Badcott, B. Fowles (N. Salop 88), J. Curtis (F. Tolcher 82), A. Goulty, J. Preece J. Jefford 90)

Subs not used: All used

Bookings:   T. Yendle

Saltash scorers:  J. Curtis 10, T. Love-Holmes 45, J. Preece 59, 81.

Referee:  Luke Dennis

Att:   127

Man of the match:   Joe Preece (Saltash United)

Just back from Wellington and well happy with those 3 points. With regards to Wellingtons pending substitution late on, play the whistle !!! its the referees decision to permit a substitution, not a linesman !!! plus after that throw in there was still a lot of work to do before Super Tom Annear blasted the ball past the Wellington keeper. I guess you did not see Ruben Wilson get taken out 10 minutes from time by the Wellington keeper when he was clean through, clear penalty. Can't really remember our keeper Morgan having to make one save throughout the game if i'm honest

Wellington defended well throughout the game and were a tough nut to crack but we found a way to score, much to the dismay of the watching Steve Massey :) , bet we enjoyed our trip home more than him ;) . He did tell us in the clubhouse before the game that he would parade the Western League trophy to the F-Troop inside a Tescoe's carrier bag much to our amusement...love it. 

We march onto the next game Saturday and another toughie against Oddland Abbotonians FC. UTMT.

10 hours ago, Jeff Chambers said:

Just back from Wellington and well happy with those 3 points. With regards to Wellingtons pending substitution late on, play the whistle !!! its the referees decision to permit a substitution, not a linesman !!! plus after that throw in there was still a lot of work to do before Super Tom Annear blasted the ball past the Wellington keeper. I guess you did not see Ruben Wilson get taken out 10 minutes from time by the Wellington keeper when he was clean through, clear penalty. Can't really remember our keeper Morgan having to make one save throughout the game if i'm honest

Wellington defended well throughout the game and were a tough nut to crack but we found a way to score, much to the dismay of the watching Steve Massey :) , bet we enjoyed our trip home more than him ;) . He did tell us in the clubhouse before the game that he would parade the Western League trophy to the F-Troop inside a Tescoe's carrier bag much to our amusement...love it. 

We march onto the next game Saturday and another toughie against Oddland Abbotonians FC. UTMT.

Whoever wins the Western League Trophy .... We (Mousehole AFC) polished it, gave it a final hug and took it up to Larkhall for a representative of the Western League to pick it up. 

Whether it has blue ribbons, or gold and black this year is up to the next few games .... I predict a very very close run in ... BEST OF LUCK 😁🏆

That a cracking result for Saltash to be fair. 
away at torpoint .  
What happen to  Kieran  Omelia for  saltash ? . Seem to be the main man  scoring  lots at beginning of of season picked up an injury came back but not really featured recently has he left ?

50 minutes ago, sportsman10 said:

away at torpoint .  
What happen to  Kieran  Omelia for  saltash ? . Seem to be the main man  scoring  lots at beginning of of season picked up an injury came back but not really featured recently has he left ?

Injured wrist, has been present next to the dugout at recent games, was there last night.

1 hour ago, sportsman10 said:

away at torpoint .  

Correct he broke a bone in his wrist so that's his season done. But he turns out to support his mates which is a good thing. 

Cracking result last night - good to see Jake Curtis back in the goals but Torpoint will rue some missed chances. Still tough game at Bridge on Saturday then it's 4 home games on the bounce. 👍

17 hours ago, The Torpoint Massive said:

Torpoint Athletic 1-4 Saltash United

Toolstation Western League, Premier Division

Saltash United moved up a place to 14th in the league table on Tuesday evening at The Mill after their comprehensive win against their hosts Torpoint Athletic, with Joe Preece for the visitors getting a brace.

After a hotly contested first five minutes of the match, good build up play by Jack Curtis finds Ben Fowles in the area to see his angle shot well saved by home keeper Ryan Rickard.

On the tenth minute The Ashes take the lead when Tylor Love-Homes crosses the ball, which bounces over a home defender for Jack Curtis to head home from six yards.

On the 25th minute Darren Hicks for the hosts, puts a ball through to Ryan Richards, who left footed effort is well saved by visiting keeper Jordan Duffey. Then a minute a later Isaac McCue’s free kick on the edge of the area curls around the visitors wall and just over the cross bar.

Right on half time the visitors double their lead when a long ball from Duffey bounces over the Torpoint keeper to find Tylor Love-Holmes with a open goal, to easily slot the ball home.

Just before the hour mark, The Ashes extend their lead when a ball is put through the home defence to find Joe Preece to fire home from 10 yards.

Two minutes later the hosts have a lifeline, when Gary Hird is brought down in the area for Ryan Richards to covert the penalty, sending Duffey the wrong way and reducing the arrears to two goals

With nine minutes remaining, the visitors restored their three goal advantage when Joe Preece fires home through a crowded penalty area to complete the scoring and his brace.

Torpoint Athletic: R. Rickard, S. Rutter (C. Pritchard 72), D. Hicks, O. Haslam, S. Hillson, D. Murray (M. Lucas 64), J. Rowe, P. Heveran (J. Wood 54), R. Smith (J. Pope 83), R. Richards, I. McCue (G. Hird 54).

Subs not used:  All used

Bookings:  None

Torpoint scorers: R. Richards 61 pen.

Saltash United: J. Duffey, T. Love-Holmes, E. Wright, E. Goodman, T. Yendle (S. Cox 75), L. Murray (B. Goulty 35), T. Badcott, B. Fowles (N. Salop 88), J. Curtis (F. Tolcher 82), A. Goulty, J. Preece J. Jefford 90)

Subs not used: All used

Bookings:   T. Yendle

Saltash scorers:  J. Curtis 10, T. Love-Holmes 45, J. Preece 59, 81.

Referee:  Luke Dennis

Att:   127

Man of the match:   Joe Preece (Saltash United)

Only 127 for a local Derby!!!

1st  Falmouth 

2nd Helston

3rd Barnstaple 

4th clevedon 

5th Bridgwater 

this is how I see it finishing and who will get the second spot and go up,well in the playoffs at the moment Barnstaple are hitting a rich vain of form and if they keep everyone fit they will just be favourites that means in my prediction ,Helston will be at home to Bridgwater and this is not an easy game to predict as Bridgwater on there day are a good side I just think that if Helston lose out to Falmouth they may find it hard to lift themselves and I can see them losing out,that leaves Barnstaple and clevedon and although Clevedon have been amazing this season they seam to be running out of steam at the moment and Barnstaple will be to strong for them.so that leaves Barnstaple v Bridgwater to battle it out for the second spot well of course it’s going to be tight but the one thing there games have produced against each other this season is goals 15 in two games and one more game in the league to play.but I’ll just go with Barnstaple to be promoted along with Falmouth. 
now of course it’s only my opinion and Football is and always will be about opinions and I may be totally wrong but that’s the fun of it and whoever goes up I wish both teams and supporters all the best.

• Dave Deacon changed the title to RESULTS - Saturday 6th through to Thursday 11th April 2024
  • Dave Deacon unpinned this topic