Cornwall Football Forum

Truro at Gloucester this Tuesday v Eastbourne

I see Truro City have announced that their Tuesday match against Eastbourne Borough has been moved to the alternative home venue of Meadow Park, home of Gloucester City, with a 7.45pm ko.

It’s basically been done to try and ensure they get all their fixtures in for this season!

I can't see what other option they have, they just want to get through this season and reset.

With the weather as it is, what is the alternative before they are Saturday, Tuesday & Thursday or worse.

Makes you wonder if a few other clubs will wish they hadn't gone down this route earlier.

7 minutes ago, Luke Gibbons said:

Someone has to do it surely? Get the CCFA on board for additional funding and you could reap the rewards.

St Austell have announced the installation of a 3G surface as part of the Poltair upgrade project, but I haven't seen anything regarding timelines.

Wouldn't think that the ground facilities will be National League/Southern Prem compliant either.

You're right, needs the CCFA to step up here. That would then probably unlock potential FA, Sport England and Lottery funding.

3 minutes ago, Ian Pethick said:

You're right, needs the CCFA to step up here. That would then probably unlock potential FA, Sport England and Lottery funding.

You’d think they might plump for say Bodmin as that’s where their hq is! 

27 minutes ago, Railwayman in Exile said:

Not a popular subject 3/4G pitches, but knowing how poor the weather can be through the winter months, longer term you do wonder if more clubs will go down this route, can prove to be very lucrative, certainly eases fixture congestion.

Some are better than others, and they still require a large amount of housekeeping and maintenance (didn't realise that they can still freeze for example). Notice as well that Dorking Wanderers are considering ripping their 3G surface up due to them believing that it's causing long term injuries to players. Then there's the cost of installing them, and the usual lifespan of around 7 years (so I've read).

Given the chaos that we're now experiencing, it may well be the only way to guarantee seasons get completed in reasonable manner for some leagues though.

18 minutes ago, Dave Deacon said:

Would make sense. Right on the A30, not far off the A38 and an hour or so from Exeter and the M5. 

2 hours ago, Dave Deacon said:

I see Truro City have announced that their Tuesday match against Eastbourne Borough has been moved to the alternative home venue of Meadow Park, home of Gloucester City, with a 7.45pm ko.

It’s basically been done to try and ensure they get all their fixtures in for this season!

Wise decision, traveling through Somerset yesterday did notice that the fields in and around the Taunton area was in the main under water .

2 hours ago, Dave Deacon said:

Council owned as well so a sub-lease to the Club could be the perfect solution and another step in the right direction for Bodmin. Like you said Dave, it's already on their doorstep. Devon have theirs but I bet their kicking themselves with the grading requirements now.

If not, we'll put our hand up 😂. Location isn't fantastic with the ferry though. Mid-Cornwall ticks too many boxes.

But hey... we're getting a 9v9 in Torpoint.

I did hear say that after their FA Vase game against Jersey Bulls the Falmouth Town players were saying that their leg muscles were aching more than usual.  Possibly,  a few years down the line,  medical issues caused by playing long term on artificial pitches may come to light. Personally,  I still think that playing on grass is what football is all about but the underlying issue is all to do with drainage,  or rather lack of!

1 hour ago, Quiet Man said:

I did hear say that after their FA Vase game against Jersey Bulls the Falmouth Town players were saying that their leg muscles were aching more than usual.  Possibly,  a few years down the line,  medical issues caused by playing long term on artificial pitches may come to light. Personally,  I still think that playing on grass is what football is all about but the underlying issue is all to do with drainage,  or rather lack of!

It's an interesting one, there are studies in the USA that have dispels certain stories that get thrown out whenever 3/4G pitches that are spoken about, I'm still sceptical myself, however when I look at the yearly issue with fixture back logs, issues with income there has to be a better solution somewhere along the line and certainly Scottish football with their winter break and artificial pitches in places seem better managed than previously.

I'm surprised players are feeling heavy legged when you think they train on that surface probably a couple of times a week and have been for sometime.

10 hours ago, Ian Pethick said:

St Austell have announced the installation of a 3G surface as part of the Poltair upgrade project, but I haven't seen anything regarding timelines.

Wouldn't think that the ground facilities will be National League/Southern Prem compliant either.

Can't wait to see what a sloped 3g looks like 😏😉

16 hours ago, silly billy said:

Why not play more matches when the season first starts and the weather tends to be slightly better rather than try to play catch up near the end of the season?

Tbh they need to split North/South back into North/Central/South and maybe have 18 or 20 team divisions. 

7 minutes ago, Craze said:

Tbh they need to split North/South back into North/Central/South and maybe have 18 or 20 team 

Do the same with the Southern League Prem, reduce it to a 20 team league with a 38 game season.

I'm sure that the teams who don't have problems getting matches played won't like the loss of revenue from fewer home games though.

On 18/03/2024 at 11:04, Ian Pethick said:

Given the demand for step 2/3 graded 3G pitches/grounds  in the SW now (and probably into the future as well), wonder if Truro wish they were installing one at the new Langarth facility? Could have been very lucrative for them in the years to come.

They are !

1 hour ago, Lee Mitchell said:

True, but if they can get the 3G to a standard of the league they play in then it could be a win win situation.

In the item about the progress on the Langarth ground that was on the podcast a couple of months ago, it was claimed that the new , grass based, surface at Langarth will have state of the art drainage of  Football League standard and be able to withstand 6 hours of football a week. Could have been a decent income stream though having a 3G surface that was usable 7 days a week (expensive though, in the region of a £1m to install from what I gather).

The original Stadium For Cornwall concept included a 4G hybrid grass surface.

3 hours ago, Ian Pethick said:

In the item about the progress on the Langarth ground that was on the podcast a couple of months ago, it was claimed that the new , grass based, surface at Langarth will have state of the art drainage of  Football League standard and be able to withstand 6 hours of football a week. Could have been a decent income stream though having a 3G surface that was usable 7 days a week (expensive though, in the region of a £1m to install from what I gather).

The original Stadium For Cornwall concept included a 4G hybrid grass surface.

Good compromise here, we should be grateful for what has been achieved, we look forward to next season with a 1000+ supporters 

Don't think the ground being ready for the season 24/25 will happen, more like 25/26 season at the earliest. I don't see enough people working onsite in order to get ready for next season.

1000+ Supporters, depends on price of ticket and all the trimmings plus the league they play in.

2 hours ago, Lee Mitchell said:

Don't think it will happen next season, more like 25/26 season at the earliest. I don't see enough people working onsite in order to get ready for next season.

To be fair to Mr Masters, he didn't say where or over how many games the 1,000 would be achieved.

I'm guessing that the relentless rain can't have been good for the Langarth construction schedule.

31 minutes ago, Ian Pethick said:

To be fair to Mr Masters, he didn't say where or over how many games the 1,000 would be achieved.

I'm guessing that the relentless rain can't have been good for the Langarth construction schedule.

I think in all fairness.  There will be large numbers attending initially just to see the ground and that.  But post Christmas the crowds will drop to around 500 at most I’d imagine. 

19 minutes ago, St Darren said:

I think in all fairness.  There will be large numbers attending initially just to see the ground and that.  But post Christmas the crowds will drop to around 500 at most I’d imagine. 

The best way to put bums on seats would be for Truro to stay in the NLS, and start the season well. That will bring a few locals and floating supporters through the gates. 

Would hope that the new owners have a bit more than "build it and they will come" as a marketing strategy though.

3 minutes ago, Ian Pethick said:

The best way to put bums on seats would be for Truro to stay in the NLS, and start the season well. That will bring a few locals and floating supporters through the gates. 

Would hope that the new owners have a bit more than "build it and they will come" as a marketing strategy though.

I’m not sure that makes a huge difference. But I get what you’re saying. 

if you listed some of the teams in the league I would have thought the vast majority of football spectators in Cornwall wouldn’t have a clue what league they were in 

On 26/03/2024 at 10:20, St Darren said:

I’m not sure that makes a huge difference. But I get what you’re saying. 

if you listed some of the teams in the league I would have thought the vast majority of football spectators in Cornwall wouldn’t have a clue what league they were in 

I'd go with that - Only because some people on FB know sod all about pitches or ground grading 🙄 

I personally think that this stadium and set up has been a “a long time coming”, hopefully a few local clubs will benefit from the 3G itself and also the CCFA can use the main pitch as a Cup final venue. The Site is great as long as the infrastructure with routes and parking are built on time with no snags etc then I don't see why this will not attract the neutrals. I think what you have to take a good look at and obviously change is the way Truro City have handled this from a supporters point of view, the public relations has been a catastrophe to be honest !!

28 minutes ago, Mitchy said:

I personally think that this stadium and set up has been a “a long time coming”, hopefully a few local clubs will benefit from the 3G itself and also the CCFA can use the main pitch as a Cup final venue. The Site is great as long as the infrastructure with routes and parking are built on time with no snags etc then I don't see why this will not attract the neutrals. I think what you have to take a good look at and obviously change is the way Truro City have handled this from a supporters point of view, the public relations has been a catastrophe to be honest !!

See that Truro City have a new Head Of Commercial in place. The marketing and promotional drive will probably now get going ahead of City moving into Langarth for 2024/25 (crossed fingers).

The price TCFC pitch their season tickets at will be key. They have to build an almost new fan base. Initial attendances may be good, as people get to see the new ground at Langarth.  Beyond that a competitive side needed. A first season of struggle  back in Truro would be ‘unhelpful’ in early attempts to rebuild the club. Better engagement with supporters needed too. It’s not been good in modern times.