Cornwall Football Forum

Jersey Bulls 0. Falmouth Town 3.

Jersey Bulls 0.                                  Falmouth Town 3

Jared Sims (Pen)

Ollie Walker

Cam Hutchinson

Att: 1450.

Falmouth Town upset the form book in this memorable overseas cup-tie in the Channel Islands against the Jersey Bull’s who were 2nd favourites to win the cup outright.  Roared on by the raucous F-Troop who had descended on the island using all means of transport available, the players responded to that massive show of loyalty with a performance right out of the top drawer to book a place in the FA Vase Quarter-finals for only the 2nd time in their history.

With talismanic defender Tom Annear unavailable due to the questionable Vase rule regarding two yellow cards resulting in a one game ban, Andreas Calleja-Stayne started at centre-back with Jack Webber replacing him in the midfield. Ollie Walker came in at left midfield and Jacob Grange started in the No. 10 role with Luke Brabyn assuming his normal Vase role as the lone striker.

In front of the near 1,000 capacity stand, and on an unfamiliar 4G surface, Falmouth may have been forgiven for starting the game nervously, but instead they went toe-to-toe with the home side in a very even first 15 minutes. However, the game was soon to change following a controversial decision by the referee on 17 minutes. Ollie Walker was looking a threat in the opening exchanges as he seemed to have the Jersey right-back for pace. The ball was played over the top and Walker raced to get to it before Roche in the Jersey goal. They both seemed to reach it at the same moment but the referee ruled that Walker had got their first and Roche had subsequently fouled him. The penalty was given, Roche was booked and Jared Sims stepped up to take the penalty in front of an expectant F-Troop behind the goal who had totally out sung the superior numbers of the Jersey supporters.  Sims confidently placed the ball to the keepers right to make the score 1-0 to Falmouth Town and then the Bulls assistant manager was sent to the stands for contesting the original decision.

The game continued with neither side really dominating, but Falmouth were indebted to keeper Morgan Coxhead for keeping their lead towards the end of the half when he saved low to his left from a promising Jersey attack.  Jersey No.11 Miguel Carvalho particularly looked menacing when he received the ball wide on the left and ran at James Swan but without managing a decisive end-product.  The Bulls influential No.9 Lorne Bickley, was a key player for the home side but James Ward put in a magnificent performance throughout to ensure Bickley could not get into the game at all. Ultimately, this was to earn him the man of the match title in front of many other impressive Falmouth performances.

The 2nd half again started evenly although Jersey earned a couple of free-kicks in promising positions just outside of the Falmouth box which ultimately came to nothing. After 12 minutes, Falmouth forced a corner from the right-hand side. Luke Barner took it short to Jared Sims who swung the ball over to Ollie Walker at the far post who struck it past the keeper first time to make the score 2-0 to Falmouth.

One minute after the goal, Falmouth manager Andy Westgarth then made his first change withdrawing James Swan and replacing him with Cam Hutchinson. Jacob Grange dropping to right-back and Hutchinson replacing Grange in his favoured No.10 role. The Falmouth faithful looked on nervously expecting their highly rated opponents to step up their play but it never really happened.  In a curious move, the dangerous Carvalho was replaced on 23 minutes. Falmouth then replaced Jack Webber with Tom Fisher to maybe strengthen defensively.

On 27 minutes, the Bulls took a quick corner from the right which resulted in a powerful goal-bound header, however Coxhead saved Falmouth again with a superb save to calm Falmouth’s nerves as he turned in one of his best performances when it mattered most.

Alex Wharton replaced Ollie Walker on 31 minutes but it was Jersey who had the next chance.  From another free kick just outside the area, the ball was struck goalwards and it seemed to go over Coxhead and the net rippled.  The big stand cheered as they thought Jersey had scored but in fact it had cleared the crossbar.  A nervous moment for the Town faithful.

The game continued with Falmouth looking increasingly comfortable but the coup de gras was to come in the 87th minute. Luke Brabyn, who as usual had worked tirelessly all game occupying the Bulls defenders and retaining possession when needed, slotted a through ball in to Cam Hutchinson, he beat his man and carried the ball to the left-hand side of the area and calmly side-footed the ball past the keeper.  A great goal and a reward for a player who would have been disappointed not to have started.  He fell over in relief and then embraced the F-Troop behind the goal as everyone knew there was no way back for the home side from there.

Falmouth saw the game out to achieve a historic victory and earn their place in the last eight of the FA Vase. Whilst the players and management were being interviewed by the various commentators and reporters, the F-Troop gathered in the main stand to go through their repertoire of songs in some amazing and memorable scenes for the club.  What a day!

Looking forward to the draw on Monday, the quality of opponents will no doubt increase and Falmouth will be hoping for a home tie in front of a big crowd to gain any advantage they can.  After having beaten the 2nd favourites, Town have been installed as joint 3rd favourites to win the whole thing behind Worcester City and Emley.  Only two more ties to negotiate to achieve the remarkable feat of a Wembley final!!!

DARE TO DREAM!!!

Jersey Bulls: Pierce Roche, Johnny Le Quesne, Fergus Boyle, Ben Le Rougetel, Luke Campbell ©, Joe Kilshaw, Fraser Barlow, Kamen Nafhka, Lorne Bickley, Luke Watson, Miguel Carvalho.  Subs: Trotter, Giles, Carr, Tobin, Lekimamati, Mendes, Naka.

Falmouth Town: Morgan Coxhead, James Swan, James Ward©, Andreas Calleja-Stayne, Bradley Leivers, Luke Brabyn, Jack Webber, Jared Sims, Luke Barner, Jacob Grange, Ollie Walker.  Subs:  Max Everall, Cam Hutchinson, Tom Fisher, Ryan Barnes, Kian Thomas.

8 hours ago, St Darren said:

Kinell.  Referees!!

That is never a penalty. How on earth has he given that with hope the ball ended up where it did. Looked like Jersey should have had a penalty as well. 

But full marks to Falmouth there, fully deserved the win and great to see so many fans there watching

In the opinion of the referee,who allegedly is a premiership linesman its a penalty. We've had comments on here all season about refereeing decisions and people saying ," some refs would give it ,some wouldn't ". "It's swings and roundabouts ".what goes around comes around ".These decisions even themselves out over a season."

Town have had several decisions go against them this season, thankfully this one has evened them all out when it really mattered. 

1 hour ago, mattelot said:

In the opinion of the referee,who allegedly is a premiership linesman its a penalty. We've had comments on here all season about refereeing decisions and people saying ," some refs would give it ,some wouldn't ". "It's swings and roundabouts ".what goes around comes around ".These decisions even themselves out over a season."

Town have had several decisions go against them this season, thankfully this one has evened them all out when it really mattered. 

That’s by the by. Every decision should be given on its merit at the time and not because a team hasn’t had a decision before. 

I appreciate that it’s the opinion of the referee but I hope he looks at that and thinks that he got it wrong , that’s obviously with the benefit of the replay.  But surely his experience should tell him it’s not a penalty just because of that happens to the ball. 

1 hour ago, BrummyBarry said:

Please remember that Darren hates referees and makes that very obvious almost every single premier league match day 

Only when there’s reason!

Theres always talk on tv about players reactions! “He knows he’s touched him” well there’s reactions when the referee makes a decision that the player feels aggrieved by and now they get booked for that reaction!!  There’s always a reason for a reaction.  

1 hour ago, Mark Jones said:

Referee was Constantine Hatzidakis. The premiership lineman involved in that Liverpool elbow controversy. 💛🖤

Ah so it was. Didn’t recognise him first time round.  Goes to show that even though you’re on the premier league list you can still make poor decisions

4 minutes ago, kevin richards said:

If we had that shit VAR at this game, we’d have nothing to talk about.

Referee’s opinion should be final, that’s proper football.

Agreed, but you can still debate it. 

VAR creates more issues and shows up from frailties with the ability of them

1 hour ago, St Darren said:

Ah so it was. Didn’t recognise him first time round.  Goes to show that even though you’re on the premier league list you can still make poor decisions

He is no longer on the Premier League list. 

He has chosen to drop back down and pursue the referee pathway. 

Any referee can make a "poor decision". Lots of people make it sound so easy from their armchairs but it's a fact you can pick any referee in history and find decisions they have made that are just totally wrong. It happens. 

Those that it happens with the least tend to be those that rise up the ranks but even the most elite referees are not immune to a clanger. It does not define them as referees or their refereeing ability. 

The referee is being remembered for 1 decision in a game where he has probably made more correct decisions than he has wrong, it just so happens the 1 major error i.e. the penalty award was a match changing situation. 

No one will be giving the referee a harder time than himself.

16 minutes ago, TheOpinionoftheReferee said:

He is no longer on the Premier League list. 

He has chosen to drop back down and pursue the referee pathway. 

Any referee can make a "poor decision". Lots of people make it sound so easy from their armchairs but it's a fact you can pick any referee in history and find decisions they have made that are just totally wrong. It happens. 

Those that it happens with the least tend to be those that rise up the ranks but even the most elite referees are not immune to a clanger. It does not define them as referees or their refereeing ability. 

The referee is being remembered for 1 decision in a game where he has probably made more correct decisions than he has wrong, it just so happens the 1 major error i.e. the penalty award was a match changing situation. 

No one will be giving the referee a harder time than himself.

You’re right.  But also people are within their rights to question a decision and in the penalty incident it’s a major taking a point. 

looking at the video (which I appreciate the referee doesn’t get that option) do you think it’s a penalty?

Even without VAR referees decisions are scrutinised and torn apart by people who have never walked in a referees shoes. Cant win. Not a pen in my eyes.st Darren I dont know your age but Id like to pay for you to take the course and have a go.you can ref any form of football you like but I just want to see if your as good as you think youd be 

46 minutes ago, BrummyBarry said:

Even without VAR referees decisions are scrutinised and torn apart by people who have never walked in a referees shoes. Cant win. Not a pen in my eyes.st Darren I dont know your age but Id like to pay for you to take the course and have a go.you can ref any form of football you like but I just want to see if your as good as you think youd be 

Not at one stage have I ever said I would be a good referee.  If you can find where I’ve said that, I’ll take the course. 

I refereed a kids game last year and quite enjoyed it. Probably got a couple of decisions wrong, but explained why I gave them! No issues. 

I’ve no problem with referees making errors as it’s subjective, but they can still be questioned. My issues are mainly in the Premier League where you have at least 2 additional people looking at something and still coming up with a decision that baffles people. 

19 minutes ago, St Darren said:

My issues are mainly in the Premier League where you have at least 2 additional people looking at something and still coming up with a decision that baffles people. 

VAR doesn't re-referee the game. It was originally intended, and for all intents and purpose still is, to correct serious errors, not marginal subjective decisions. 

The problem is, it's not done quite right, and fans expect it to do more, or less, depending on which way the decision is going. 

And of course there has been some questionable interventions, and non-interventions which doesn't help either.

Nor does it help when the scoreboard proudly announces "VAR decision: no foul" which is misleading. 

40 minutes ago, TheOpinionoftheReferee said:

VAR doesn't re-referee the game. It was originally intended, and for all intents and purpose still is, to correct serious errors, not marginal subjective decisions. 

The problem is, it's not done quite right, and fans expect it to do more, or less, depending on which way the decision is going. 

And of course there has been some questionable interventions, and non-interventions which doesn't help either.

Nor does it help when the scoreboard proudly announces "VAR decision: no foul" which is misleading. 

Why is the scoreboard misleading?  VAR effectively has the final decision although they say it doesn’t. The referee apparently still has the option to keep to his decision, but that hardly ever happens. Were those 2 penalties in the Luton game errors from the on field  referee??

Anyway, we’re moving a way from Falmouth triumph, these posts should be on the premier league referees post in the non Cornish forum.

that gets updated most weeks 

1 hour ago, St Darren said:

Why is the scoreboard misleading?  VAR effectively has the final decision although they say it doesn’t. The referee apparently still has the option to keep to his decision, but that hardly ever happens. Were those 2 penalties in the Luton game errors from the on field  referee??

Anyway, we’re moving a way from Falmouth triumph, these posts should be on the premier league referees post in the non Cornish forum.

that gets updated most weeks 

Last point, as you rightly say this is not the place for it. 

The reason it is misleading is because the VAR is determining if a clear and obvious error has occurred. 

Therefore they may see what they think is a foul, but determine it is not a clear and obvious error requiring an on field review. 

Therefore VAR is not saying it is not a foul, as  the board suggests, but they are saying it's not a clear and obvious error by the referee. There's a big difference there, and it all leads into the misunderstanding of everyone else involved in the game, who, given most hasn't read the laws of the game, I highly doubt any have read the VAR protocol so really don't understand the process.

4 hours ago, Footy follower said:

Dreadful decision for the penalty...didn't even look like one in the slightest.

But you have to accept the luck when it comes your way and Falmouth did

In fact the ref won't want to see any of the highlights....did t get much right (in the highlights)

@St Darren which other decisions did the referee get incorrect? The pen shout just before half-time isn't a pen for me, arms seem by their side rather than out.

7 hours ago, bighairydave said:

@St Darren which other decisions did the referee get incorrect? The pen shout just before half-time isn't a pen for me, arms seem by their side rather than out.

You’ve got the wrong person here. 

it looked like a penalty in the first half from the camera, when the fella got sin binned.  

7 hours ago, bighairydave said:

2 shouts for handball....1st one looked definite....2nd was a maybe..

Booking for high feet was incorrect in my opinion.

It is hard judging just on highlights though I must say

33 minutes ago, St Darren said:

You’ve got the wrong person here. 

it looked like a penalty in the first half from the camera, when the fella got sin binned.  

I’d disagree on that one. Hands were by side.

First one, referee relying more on AR for info I’d say.

On 13/02/2024 at 07:03, Footy follower said:

2 shouts for handball....1st one looked definite....2nd was a maybe..

Booking for high feet was incorrect in my opinion.

It is hard judging just on highlights though I must say

Personally, think if either had been given for handball it would have been harsh.

Don't think the booking was for a high foot, more for a number of fouls committed by the player.  His reaction (of lack of one) suggested to me, that he knew it was coming.

On the penalty that Falmouth did get.  The video footage shows that the referee made a mistake, but at pace without the luxury of VAR and angles etc we have all seen a lot "worse" not given and some terrible decisions go in teams favours.  Move on.

Well done Falmouth Town, keep flying the St Pirans on the national stage 💪

JW

4 minutes ago, Jeremy Wade said:

Personally, think if either had been given for handball it would have been harsh.

Don't think the booking was for a high foot, more for a number of fouls committed by the player.  His reaction (of lack of one) suggested to me, that he knew it was coming.

On the penalty that Falmouth did get.  The video footage shows that the referee made a mistake, but at pace without the luxury of VAR and angles etc we have all seen a lot "worse" not given and some terrible decisions go in teams favours.  Move on.

Well done Falmouth Town, keep flying the St Pirans on the national stage 💪

JW

I would say without footage the penalty given never liked anything but a good save by the keeper...terrible decision.....but everyone makes mistakes.

The 2nd hand ball I agree wdve been harsh...the 1st I think was definite.

The player on the high foot one seemed to say it wasn't that high...which it wasn't(however,I don't know if the booking was for several fouls......and is that an actual.rule....it may be ....I don't know)

1 minute ago, TheOpinionoftheReferee said:

Yes. It is a caution if you persistently offend:

"Persistent offences (no specific number or pattern of offences constitutes 
‘persistent’)"

Thank you.

Tbh that's how I think it should be rather than booking for every single minor indescretion

5 minutes ago, TheOpinionoftheReferee said:

Not really sure what you mean by this. Not every minor indescretion is booked!?

A high percentage of fouls are now deemed bookings

My personal view is I like to see bookings only for deliberate fouls and not slightly mistimed ones(unless reckless)

All fouls are (should be) judged on the same criteria:

Careless - shows a lack of attention or acts without precaution - no sanction. 

Reckless - acts with disregard to the danger, or consequence, for the opponent - yellow card

Excessive force - when a player exceeds the necessary use of force and/or endangers the safety of an opponent - red card

There are some technical aspects that result in a yellow card, for example a careless foul that stops a promising attack is a caution for the stopping a promising attack element, or as we talked about persistent careless offences. 

And of course all this comes down to the opinion of the referee within the framework of the law.

30 minutes ago, Jeremy Wade said:

With all due respect...its fans etc that make comments/statements like this, showing that you have no grasp of the laws of the game.  Making refereeing and the decisions they make an impossible task.

JW

I actually thought that persistent foul play was a rule..BUT I never see this used.....only seeing players booked for their first minor and not deliberate indescretion.

I do however think that it's players and managers(and yes fans) that don't help this as the shout of that's a yellow comes out far too often.

Can I just say I'm not a ref basher.....if anything I believe it's players that make the refs job a lot harder than it needs to be.

However,we must be able to say if we think a ref has a poor game,as long as we aren't being nasty etc