Cornwall Football Forum

Mousehole make Bristol Manor Farm striker Evander Grubb their ninth player on a full time contract

Article below.

https://bristolmanorfarm.com/thank-you-good-luck-evander/

Grubb’s move to Mousehole AFC marks a significant chapter in his career, as he takes on a full-time role to pursue his coaching badges, acquire a driver’s license, and reside alongside eight other full-time players at the Cornwall-based club. This was an opportunity that Manager Lashenko simply couldn’t stand in the way of, and encouraged Evander to grasp the opportunity with both hands.”

• Tavi Fan changed the title to Mousehole make Bristol Manor Farm striker Evander Grubb their ninth player on a full time contract
1 hour ago, Tavi Fan said:

Paying (or providing him a place) for him to reside in Cornwall, learn to drive, get his coaching badges and not work a 9-5? That’s how I’m reading it.

In Truro's league , the NLS, there are several full time clubs. The reality of this is usually that they will have 52 week contracts, instead of the non league norm of 40 weeks. They train several mornings a week instead of evenings, but will then probably have additional outside work to support this. Know that Dulwich Hamlet have such an arrangement, and that they have self employed people such as painters & decorators, personal trainers and taxi drivers in their squad who fit this around playing commitments.

31 minutes ago, Way Of The Park said:

In Truro's league , the NLS, there are several full time clubs. The reality of this is usually that they will have 52 week contracts, instead of the non league norm of 40 weeks. They train several mornings a week instead of evenings, but will then probably have additional outside work to support this. Know that Dulwich Hamlet have such an arrangement, and that they have self employed people such as painters & decorators, personal trainers and taxi drivers in their squad who fit this around playing commitments.

Very interesting. Can’t imagine there are too many (if any) clubs at step 4 who have the financial power to make a player relocate? Certainly don’t think there are any in our league.

30 minutes ago, Dave Deacon said:

I think it could be BMF with some poetic licence!

Although some would class it as jealousy (or stirring)!

Probably more like two that can be considered “full-time”

I thought exactly this when I read it. Very subtlety done too.

2 hours ago, Dave Deacon said:

I think it could be BMF with some poetic licence!

Although some would class it as jealousy (or stirring)!

Probably more like two that can be considered “full-time”

Their manager is certainly a ****

Although I do think he’s trying to highlight how Mousehole are operating.

To be able to relocate a player, fund his driving lessons, and make him “full time” is certainly a commitment from Mousehole. Fair play to whoever the money man is but can’t imagine it’s a sustainable way to operate! Given their attendances and we’ve had Drumming Nutter on here assuring us that things are “tight” at the club!

You asked a question on this weeks podcast about where Mousehole should be aiming to finish? Surely it’s Champions if they can offer this to a player/s?

Just now, Dave Deacon said:

This offer wasn’t told to us by Mousehole though and some of the content is incorrect and so how much can we believe? 

Mousehole clearly aren’t going to admit anything when they want every man and their dog to fund their new road 🤣

Theyve got lads from Newcastle, Leeds, Cardiff, Portugal and now Bristol in the squad (as far as I’m aware). I reckon there is certainly an element of truth in what Bristol MF are saying.

But maybe Mousehole either have driver instructor fan....or can offer them advertising in way of payment.

They also already have the place to reside so the extra cost of that is minimal.

They can probably also help him with the coaching badges

It seems that some can be very jealous/envious of what seems from the outside as a very forward thinking club

6 minutes ago, Footy follower said:

But maybe Mousehole either have driver instructor fan....or can offer them advertising in way of payment.

They also already have the place to reside so the extra cost of that is minimal.

They can probably also help him with the coaching badges

It seems that some can be very jealous/envious of what seems from the outside as a very forward thinking club

I’m not envious of any club who can make a player relocate. My club struggles for money (yes I’d like us to have a little bit more) but in our first season at step 4 we lived within our means (and still are and always have done) and even had a fan step up to become chairman. 

The point still stands that Mousehole should clearly be aiming to win the league if they can afford to offer this to everyone north of Plymouth 🤣

1 minute ago, GaryHocking said:

"Make a player relocate" 🙄 

He's hardly the first 19yo lad ever to fancy a spell living in West Cornwall rather than Bristol.  A very large pinch of salt needs to be taken when reading the account of a transfer written by the club that lost the player. 

Are you saying that he ISNT full time then which is what Bristol Manor Farm have said?

Just now, GaryHocking said:

I don’t even know what “full time” means in the context of football at our level. 

I think you have a good idea what it means but hey ho. 🤣

Ive asked many times what the arrangement is with Mousehole (without getting a straight answer) and how they seem to be the only club in our league who can attract players from here, there and everywhere.

My opinion, if you can attract players from all over to relocate and play for Mousehole you’ve got to be looking to win the league. 

6 minutes ago, Drumming Nutter said:

I think Tavi Fan is unnaturally obsessed ... seek help 🤣 and by the way as  Dave Deacon has correctly stated 90% of what is written is either BS or is correctly explained. 

Please don’t advise me to seek help purely because I am speculating on a football forum about something which doesn’t occur often at this level 👍

The problem is that no matter how often anyone from Mousehole explains that - in no particular order - our income comes solely from the campsite, sponsorship / advertising and match day takings we’re never believed, which is galling in terms of having your integrity questioned and makes attempting to answer the question pointless. 

13 minutes ago, GaryHocking said:

The problem is that no matter how often anyone from Mousehole explains that - in no particular order - our income comes solely from the campsite, sponsorship / advertising and match day takings we’re never believed, which is galling in terms of having your integrity questioned and makes attempting to answer the question pointless. 

That’s fair enough. I have no reason to disbelieve that. 
I think it’s fair to suggest or at least assume that the money from all that coming into the club must be larger than most clubs if you can have as hinted on this thread a few players that can be considered as “full time”. If so, that is excellent on the clubs part. Nobody can argue that Mousehole appear to be well run. Tidy ground, nice clubhouse, plenty of advertising boards and a good social media presence etc!

The expectations of the club have got to be to finish at the very least in the play offs if you have the financial pull (from the campsite, sponsorship, advertising and Matchday income) to attract players from Bristol MF down to Mousehole.

2 hours ago, Tavi Fan said:

Mousehole clearly aren’t going to admit anything when they want every man and their dog to fund their new road 🤣

Theyve got lads from Newcastle, Leeds, Cardiff, Portugal and now Bristol in the squad (as far as I’m aware). I reckon there is certainly an element of truth in what Bristol MF are saying.

Not the first club in the area to have contradictions between their "alleged" spending on players expenses, and what goes on infrastructure. Always makes me chuckle that clubs who hand out large "expenses" to players, then have early kick offs on winter Saturdays to save a few quid on running floodlights.

3 minutes ago, Dave Deacon said:

I suspect the Tavy management will be expecting the same as your side has turned their poor start in to a promotion push! 👍

Stu is a very ambitious manager and I’m sure that is his aim. Should we be aiming for promotion with our (apparent) finances? Who knows?

26 minutes ago, Tavi Fan said:

That’s fair enough. I have no reason to disbelieve that. 
I think it’s fair to suggest or at least assume that the money from all that coming into the club must be larger than most clubs if you can have as hinted on this thread a few players that can be considered as “full time”. If so, that is excellent on the clubs part. Nobody can argue that Mousehole appear to be well run. Tidy ground, nice clubhouse, plenty of advertising boards and a good social media presence etc!

The expectations of the club have got to be to finish at the very least in the play offs if you have the financial pull (from the campsite, sponsorship, advertising and Matchday income) to attract players from Bristol MF down to Mousehole.

Jake Ash gave several long interviews at the start of the season and said in each that for the first time in his career he wasn’t setting any end of season targets this season.  

From my conversations with people around the Club the answer to the expectations question varies from “play offs” to “survival”. I’ve not heard a single person say they expect automatic promotion, nor a single person say they expect relegation.

Pick the bones out of that and the best answer to what the expectations are is probably something like “top half at least, playoffs at best”.

I must stress though that that’s my own personal answer - I don’t speak officially for the Club. 

Good luck to Mousehole and Tavi, great to see both clubs take promotion over the last few seasons up into step 4, doing Devon and Cornwall proud. The more clubs we can get playing up the steps the better in my opinion. Two good young managers Ashy and Stu, always talk sense both of them, as we all know, the higher you go up, the more money you need to be competitive. You’ll be lucky to get a player of that standard for nothing or loyalty! Would love to see both clubs in the play offs at the end of the season, good people at both clubs, have a great xmas and hopefully a brilliant 2024! 👍👏🏼

36 minutes ago, RAPPO said:

Good luck to Mousehole and Tavi, great to see both clubs take promotion over the last few seasons up into step 4, doing Devon and Cornwall proud. The more clubs we can get playing up the steps the better in my opinion. Two good young managers Ashy and Stu, always talk sense both of them, as we all know, the higher you go up, the more money you need to be competitive. You’ll be lucky to get a player of that standard for nothing or loyalty! Would love to see both clubs in the play offs at the end of the season, good people at both clubs, have a great xmas and hopefully a brilliant 2024! 👍👏🏼

I think Tavi fan believes Tavistocks players play for nothing or loyalty.

I'm pretty sure the only way that ever happens at higher standards is if the player is very local.......and I'm not sure it would happen even then

28 minutes ago, Footy follower said:

I think Tavi fan believes Tavistocks players play for nothing or loyalty.

I'm pretty sure the only way that ever happens at higher standards is if the player is very local.......and I'm not sure it would happen even then

The only issue I have with Rappo is calling Stu a young manager 😉

I know a few of our lads have turned down more money at other clubs. Including our captain who has told a certain manager and club mentioned in this thread he’s not interested 🤣

Were a club that over the last decade has prided ourselves on loyalty and as fans we are proud as punch of our players turning down the likes of Tiverton, Parkway, Mousehole and Willand to name a few 🐑

Hereford need every penny they can from 50/50, golden goals, programme, bar and t hut sales plus gates of 2500 on a Saturday and 1800 midweek to break even. 

Also they do most of their training at night which leads me to believe some players have day time jobs to survive.

A couple of our coaches/trainers work for free as well. They have already made their money from the game working for past clubs. 

Those figures were in the latest paperwork that came from an internal flier on Thursday. 

You all assume that Mousehole hand out huge sums, there is nothing further from the truth, we are fortunate enough to be able to attract players here because of what we can offer them in regards of coaching with some of the best coaches in non league football (just my opinion) great facilities and a great environment to live and play their sport in, We have no benefactor as was suggested earlier just a group of very hard working volunteers who have set up a business for the club which allows it to provide the best possible platform for the nearly 300 boys and girls to play football on. Please feel envious of what we have because we are extremely proud of what we have achieved with a very limited budget thats the truth but please dont make things up that are clearly untrue.

Regards

WRJ

Not responding specifically to the question regarding Mousehole's Development side but more generally about the question of young players being promoted from reserve / development sides. 

The "two division gap" rule acts as a massive brake on that happening because rising two steps at once is inevitably too much for most young players.  How many players transferring between teams go directly from a St Piran League club to a Western League club, or from the Peninsula straight to the Southern League?  I'm sure there are some rare examples but I can't immediately think of any. 

2-1 up away to Bristol MF and 16 year old Will Elliott (who I think is a Tavistock lad) gets 25 mins.

2-1 up away again to Westbury and 16 year old Will Sullivan gets 25 minutes. 

The gaps between steps 6 and 4 is huge, can’t deny that. But I’m glad we’re a club that gives these young players a chance (and we’re forced to with our money, reliably informed Mousehole (who apparently don’t pay big money) offered our captain nearly double his money to join them earlier this season!)

Whatever anyone thinks about Tavistock, we’re forced to live within our means and certainly a club that tries to do things the ‘right way’.

On 08/12/2023 at 14:04, Tavi Fan said:

I’m not envious of any club who can make a player relocate. My club struggles for money (yes I’d like us to have a little bit more) but in our first season at step 4 we lived within our means (and still are and always have done) and even had a fan step up to become chairman. 

The point still stands that Mousehole s should clearly be aiming to win the league if they can afford to offer this to everyone north of Plymouth 🤣

I'm glad Tavi appears to be run in a more sustainable way. Clubs without any ambition rule me, but priority is to have local clubs here in 5, 10, 15, 20 years time.

16 minutes ago, Dave Deacon said:

Is that because of past experience?

£100 if you can explain when we haven’t. 

I don’t know your game Dave.

We aren’t operating on the same level as Mousehole despite being above them in the league. We don’t offer residency, jobs, driving lessons et Al. I knows this is a Cornish thing but yeah 🤣

Proud of my club, we turn down money from elsewhere! 

38 minutes ago, Tavi Fan said:

We aren’t operating on the same level as Mousehole despite being above them in the league. We don’t offer residency, jobs, driving lessons et Al. I knows this is a Cornish thing but yeah 🤣

With limited finances Tavi only just missed out on the play-offs in debut SL season. Smashing club with good people. Always a welcoming place to go to. You are right to be proud of the Lambs!

1 hour ago, Tavi Fan said:

No 'game' but I was purely asking a question!

With the success Tavistock has achieved over the past ten years it would be tremendous to think you have done most of it on a modest budget. Or are you now tightening the purse strings (or had to) because some of those successes didn't come without remuneration to players that the club can no longer afford?

As for Mousehole, well that mention of driving lessons, 8 players being full-time etc etc came from another club and so the question of how accurate it is must be questioned although admittedly there's also got to be a fair bit being laid out by Mousehole to get the players they have. The truth of the matter is that we'll probably never know for sure about any of our clubs' financial situations. 

7 hours ago, GaryHocking said:

Not responding specifically to the question regarding Mousehole's Development side but more generally about the question of young players being promoted from reserve / development sides. 

The "two division gap" rule acts as a massive brake on that happening because rising two steps at once is inevitably too much for most young players.  How many players transferring between teams go directly from a St Piran League club to a Western League club, or from the Peninsula straight to the Southern League?  I'm sure there are some rare examples but I can't immediately think of any. 

Jacob Grange ,Morgan Coxhead ,James Swan, Kayden Gordon Dunne from Truro City reserves (SpL) to Falmouth Town (WPL).

Kian Thomas,Tom Fisher ,Max Everall,Charlie Edney. Falmouth Town reserves (Spl) to Falmouth Town (WPL)

Jos Plummer ,Ollie pickup .Falmouth Town U18's to Falmouth Town (WPL).

There's 10 for you

2 minutes ago, mattelot said:

Jacob Grange ,Morgan Coxhead ,James Swan, Kayden Gordon Dunne from Truro City reserves (SpL) to Falmouth Town (WPL).

Kian Thomas,Tom Fisher ,Max Everall,Charlie Edney. Falmouth Town reserves (Spl) to Falmouth Town (WPL)

Jos Plummer ,Ollie pickup .Falmouth Town U18's to Falmouth Town (WPL).

There's 10 for you

Where’s your campsite?

I can’t believe someone as well connected as Dave Deacon is trying to compare Tavistock and Mousehole? One has their captain poached by the other club, the other brings in players from Manchester 🤣

I thought it was fair to see Tavistock weren’t a big spending club but hey ho.

5 hours ago, sportsman10 said:

Not the old tavi are paupers argument 😂 

They have done extremely well with hardly any local interest  but they are not excatly paying  battle , burns and prynn etc 50 quid a game  to travel around the country 

Granted Liam Prynn commutes from Penryn (I believe), however he’s been loyal to us for years going back to when he was based locally at Plymouth Marjons. 
We lease out our clubhouse so we only receive X amount per month for that and can’t make any money from other functions etc , our attendances aren’t huge and as mentioned above in our debut season at step 4 we had to have a fan step up and become chairman. There genuinely is very little money in the club 🤣. Hence why our last few Matchday squads have had 14 players which includes a 17 year old sub keeper and two 16 year olds on the bench.

7 hours ago, Tavi Fan said:

Granted Liam Prynn commutes from Penryn (I believe), however he’s been loyal to us for years going back to when he was based locally at Plymouth Marjons. 
We lease out our clubhouse so we only receive X amount per month for that and can’t make any money from other functions etc , our attendances aren’t huge and as mentioned above in our debut season at step 4 we had to have a fan step up and become chairman. There genuinely is very little money in the club 🤣. Hence why our last few Matchday squads have had 14 players which includes a 17 year old sub keeper and two 16 year olds on the bench.

So by the sounds of it promotion would be a bad thing for the club! 

The Tavistock way of dual registering youngsters seems to be working from the outside looking in and they have used players from St Blazey, Bodmin, Launceston etc. in the Devon Bowl to have a closer look. Is Sullivan full time now from Millbrook or will he still play there when not needed by Stuart or when Tavistock boalster their loan numbers? Was he a lad at Saltash pre-season?