Cornwall Football Forum

Mousehole make Bristol Manor Farm striker Evander Grubb their ninth player on a full time contract

23 minutes ago, The Town Man said:

Although to be fair there’s nothing new in this report is there as it’s part of the ground grading requirement isn’t it?

As for the suggestion of moving elsewhere, surely that would cost even more and so isn’t really an alternative! 

1 hour ago, Triggs60 said:

The Tavistock way of dual registering youngsters seems to be working from the outside looking in and they have used players from St Blazey, Bodmin, Launceston etc. in the Devon Bowl to have a closer look. Is Sullivan full time now from Millbrook or will he still play there when not needed by Stuart or when Tavistock boalster their loan numbers? Was he a lad at Saltash pre-season?

Will was registered with Saltash earlier in the season. Has since gone to Tavi full time with a dual registration with Torpoint. 

3 minutes ago, Foul Throw 3 said:

He left Saltash to join Millbrook and got some games for them. He's since joined Tavi as his primary club, and signed for Torpoint from Millbrook on dual registration.

So he left Millbrook as well? Bit off that surely when Millbrook put out that piece about giving youngsters a chance!

2 hours ago, The Town Man said:

Its not an ambition its a requirement to satisfy FA ground grading requirements to play football at Step 4 in the Southern League Div1.

I personally think its OTT and oppressive and have 100% sympathy with fellow clubs who have had to take demotion as they can't meet the strict requirements required.

Not great especially in these tough economic times.

Some scary reading for any clubs with promotion ambitions   https://www.groundgrading.co.uk/our-services

Just now, Tavi Fan said:

Some of the rules for ground grading are ridiculous. Earlier this season Westbury United got stung due to the size of their changing rooms! 

I've never seen the reason for all the ground grading requirements! I mean additional seating when for most clubs don't get the people through the turnstile (or two turnstiles!!!) and the 'hospitality suite'??? What's that all about?!?

Agree with you up to a point Dave, but it is part of the pyramid process and moving upwards within it. The idea is that you improve your ground and facilities in a gradual way until you get to Football League standard. It was originally designed to stop clubs gaining promotion by spending big sums on players, but nothing on their infrastructure. Would you be in favour of some sort of appeals or grace period behind this? It would be very difficult to apply, and would upset clubs who've "done the right thing."

Remember some all conquering non league sides with big budget line ups, who played in absolute dumps (Colne Dynamo and Barnet spring to mind immediately). We don't want to go back to those days.

39 minutes ago, Dave Deacon said:

I've never seen the reason for all the ground grading requirements! I mean additional seating when for most clubs don't get the people through the turnstile (or two turnstiles!!!) and the 'hospitality suite'??? What's that all about?!?

Hospitality suite is where you have to "Wine & Dine" visiting committee and dignitaries, with pre-match and half time tea, coffee, cake, biscuits and post match "a substantial hot meal and free alcoholic drinks" on top of free admission for up to 10 persons. We have visited clubs that require a strict dress code of shirt, tie and proper shoes to partake in a cuppa and a custard cream. To be fair in my personal opinion its all a bit pompous in the Southern League who at times think they are the premiership. 

But you pays your money and you takes your chances, however hospitality (which nobody would die without receiving) takes a great financial chunk out of limited gate receipts. 

Don't Get Me Started !!! (However its refreshing that we have found a uniting topic) 👍 

23 minutes ago, Drumming Nutter said:

Hospitality suite is where you have to "Wine & Dine" visiting committee and dignitaries, with pre-match and half time tea, coffee, cake, biscuits and post match "a substantial hot meal and free alcoholic drinks" on top of free admission for up to 10 persons. We have visited clubs that require a strict dress code of shirt, tie and proper shoes to partake in a cuppa and a custard cream. To be fair in my personal opinion its all a bit pompous in the Southern League who at times think they are the premiership. 

But you pays your money and you takes your chances, however hospitality (which nobody would die without receiving) takes a great financial chunk out of limited gate receipts. 

Don't Get Me Started !!! (However its refreshing that we have found a uniting topic) 👍 

A lot of this is a hangover from the original formation of the Southern League , as (when formed in 1894), it was the first professional football league in London and the south of England. The Football League was formed in 1888, but was made up exclusively of clubs in the north and midlands. For many years the Southern League was considered its equal.

1 minute ago, Dave Deacon said:

But I guess the clubs could all join together and suggest something else ahead of the league's agm?

The AGM was so pompous last year (people being fined for dress code violations left right and centre) that its already been scrapped in favour of an online AGM.

So there is progress, and hopefully we don't have to say prayers and toast the king prior to proceedings 🤪 

Hospitality is actually a very good money spinner. It gives a chance for sponser days etc encourages companies to bring in the staff who may return. Works well at parkway. 
sometimes you have to modernise and go with times especially if you want to bring in the much needed  cash. It massively important as you climb the leagues  

3 minutes ago, Yourhavingalaugh said:

Based upon his age and how highly regarded the player is, this could be a very short stay, especially if he’s ambitious and Mousehole don’t obtain promotion this year. 

He doesn't seem to stick around anywhere for too long. At the age of 19, he's already been involved at Bristol Rovers, Newport, Huddersfield and Taunton (on a dual signing arrangement with Bristol MF). 

2 hours ago, GaryHocking said:

Don’t know whether it was the driving lessons or the “full time contract” 😏 but Evander Grubb scores on debut 💚

It was the chocolate biscuits that his agent demanded to be put in his highly lucrative "full time contract" that gave him the edge - or was it the luxury apartment the club pays for?

There really are some gullible mugs on this forum.....

1 minute ago, Pondy said:

It was the chocolate biscuits that his agent demanded to be put in his highly lucrative "full time contract" that gave him the edge - or was it the luxury apartment the club pays for?

There really are some gullible mugs on this forum.....

Isn't it rather Bristol Manor Farm for posting what they did that should take the flack rather than readers of this forum?

28 minutes ago, Dave Deacon said:

Isn't it rather Bristol Manor Farm for posting what they did that should take the flack rather than readers of this forum?

nah, it's deliberate and spiteful misinformation from BMF, it's those who believe it who are the mugs - i mean who reads "9 players on full time contracts" and all that other rubbish without their bullshit detector going off?

9 minutes ago, Pondy said:

nah, it's deliberate and spiteful misinformation from BMF, it's those who believe it who are the mugs - i mean who reads "9 players on full time contracts" and all that other rubbish without their bullshit detector going off?

I suppose it’s usual and common for clubs at step 4 to attract players from Newcastle, Cardiff, Yorkshire and Portugal to train twice a week. 🤣

1 hour ago, Tavi Fan said:

I suppose it’s usual and common for clubs at step 4 to attract players from Newcastle, Cardiff, Yorkshire and Portugal to train twice a week. 🤣

No...it's called going out and doing something a bit different.Mousehole seem to create an environment that people want to be part of and find creative ways to attract players without having to give massive wages....although a realist enough to know they will take home a reasonable wage.

All players released from acadamies for not making the grade who have agents to find them the best opportunity to showcase their skills in the hope a "big club" will sign them. I think the club have been pretty good at networking so know a few useful agents and it suits everyone. Also, we've had to be creative with solutions as we genuinely dont have a big budget (hence the crowdfunder)....and the ground grading stuff is more money again- if you aint up to the grade you get demoted

There's 4 lads who are half decent players sharing a house in newlyn, working and playing footy. its not a bad lifestyle choice....

I personally know a lad who is over here from Canada, playing Step Four football trying to get a break who is on expenses only. Some players (and clubs) are just willing to take a chance and look off the beaten track to try and get where they want to in the game.

(I have absolutely no idea what the case is at Mousehole, but players don't only move across the country for lots of money.)

Well this thread was a great Sunday morning read. I have to say it’s fantastic to read another club other than Bude being questioned over financial doping 😂😉
From my point of view, I love to see ambition and something different. How Mousehole manage to attract players from far and wide is a mystery to me, and something I’m not going to lose any sleep over tbh. I trust those involved who actually know how it’s done, to manage the situation effectively. Of course football is full of con artists over the years who have speculated to make a quick buck out of a football club. However I really don’t see or understand how that could be the case here? 
If it is being managed by some secret stash of cash, I really struggle to see the end game other than someone spending money on something they want to spend it on. 
However, maybe the income from the various parts of the business does give them a solid financial footing and the attraction for players is a forward thinking football set up with a stage to showcase their talents whilst living in a wonderful part of the UK. 

3 hours ago, The Jam Tart said:

Well this thread was a great Sunday morning read. I have to say it’s fantastic to read another club other than Bude being questioned over financial doping 😂😉
From my point of view, I love to see ambition and something different. How Mousehole manage to attract players from far and wide is a mystery to me, and something I’m not going to lose any sleep over tbh. I trust those involved who actually know how it’s done, to manage the situation effectively. Of course football is full of con artists over the years who have speculated to make a quick buck out of a football club. However I really don’t see or understand how that could be the case here? 
If it is being managed by some secret stash of cash, I really struggle to see the end game other than someone spending money on something they want to spend it on. 
However, maybe the income from the various parts of the business does give them a solid financial footing and the attraction for players is a forward thinking football set up with a stage to showcase their talents whilst living in a wonderful part of the UK. 

The last paragraph especially is spot on in my opinion

Are locally born entrepreneur, Ezra Chapman and his Endorsed Academy still associated with Mousehole? It was advised back in 2017 that he was one of the architects of the "five year plan" that the club has since embarked on with great success, and reportedly signed a long term, 5 year, sponsorship deal around this time. He seemed very influential at the time, and spoke about taking a very long term approach to identifying and developing talented Cornish players.

Remember as well that there was speculation back in 2019, as reported in the Western Morning News at the time, that Chapman was in negotiations to buy Truro City.

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Buckland Jim said:

There was a statement released on behalf of the players yesterday claiming they had been lied to by the hierarchy. 

Yes, read that. Going to be a tough second half of the season at Wordsworth Drive. From the outside, they always looked a well run and sustainable club. Shows how financially precarious things can be for anybody at this level.