Cornwall Football Forum

FIXTURES - SATURDAY, 18TH MARCH, 2023

Mousehole Devs 0-1 Truro

Gutted  with the result but couldn’t be more proud of the lads, they played some of the best football I’ve seen this season, battled relentlessly from start to finish, controlled the game BUT ultimately got undone with a set piece. It was flagged for offside which made it worse but I’m not getting into that as everyone has their opinions and the ref chose to give it. 

3 hours ago, WRJ said:

Great game easily the two best teams in the league and such a shame only one of them will grace the SWPl next season thanks for the nice comments on the surface we try our best.

A little harsh on St Day

6EA54FFB-74C7-4D4C-9C53-FB074082FE2C.jpeg

4 minutes ago, Life0546 said:

1 game in hand and they are not the best footballing side. And Mousehole have beat them both times.

St Day are a decent team, we beat them twice and are extremely happy with that but we are also happy we don’t have to face them again as they have quality players throughout. We are over the moon with the football we play but there are some decent teams in St Pirans 

16 hours ago, Dean Teasdale said:

Really enjoyed this game today , lovely hospitality at the club and what a surface. 

Was a close game, Truro very direct and Mousehole moved the ball about nicely but just lacked with their finishing. Some older faces in the Mousehole side today from the last time I saw them? New keeper as well ? Is the blonde lad injured? 

Thought the ref did really well. 

Some quality players in that Truro side and I can see them winning the league …

Average age of Mousehole starting 11 yesterday was 20 years old, Truro’s was nearly 22 years old. Feel sometimes people who don’t watch games don’t realise how young a side we have at Mousehole. Our young keeper did superb but left us to challenge himself at St Austell first team in the league above and left with our best wishes. Dom our current keeper has been involved for a while and is a previous Mousehole player. He’s also only 24, so still spring chicken for a keeper 😂😂

8 hours ago, bighairydave said:

image.png.0202d1b61b092680b4ddf2af9a9f52cd.pngPossibly, but the suspension is only for that level of football so would be free to play in a game in the Regional Feeder League according to this. I am sure @Steve Carpenter would correct me if I am wrong.

You are correct, he was eligible to play. As more clubs progress to Step 4 and beyond you may see more of this.  For discipline purposes the Southern League is a Category 3 level league and suspensions are served against games at that level. Players serving suspensions at that level are free to play in Steps 5, 6 and feeder/local leagues which are Category 5.

19 minutes ago, baldy said:

And you’ve all been crying out for 1 player, 1 club!

I do see the point though. However, he could have played anyway if not suspended which is another point of exasperation to many.

The Young Development side can hold their heads high! Some from the Trelawny league with Falmouth united to top of St Pirans league , hard work and dedication 👍 They’ve done it on their own 👏

57 minutes ago, Off White Tiger said:

Just a case of Truro management using everything at their disposal. Including a good understanding of the rules, well done them 🙌🏼.  

As the senior Cornish football club I’d like to think they must have a good relationship with the County FA🤝

Their reserve team manager is on the board of directors for Cornwall FA so I'd say they're on better terms than is perhaps ethical.

32 minutes ago, FootballChat said:

Their reserve team manager is on the board of directors for Cornwall FA so I'd say they're on better terms than is perhaps ethical.

I wasn’t aware of that, I guess it’s an unusual combination of roles. Does that help explain the resistance of other clubs when Truro Reserves applied to join the St Piran’s league?

On the subject of ethics, was it ethical of Mousehole and Hayle to arrange for 2 Mousehole 1st team squad members to play in Truro Reserves vs Hayle on the 25th of February? These players haven’t played for Hayle since. In fact 1 player has transferred straight back to Mousehole Development !

Saturday was a great game of football between two good sides. Both very well coached and whoever was on the pitch it was 11 legal players against 11 legal players end of. Mousehole played with our usual possession based football and controlled large parts of the game and will feel a little hard done by not to get something out of the game but credit to Truro they scored the goal and then held on to what they had and got the result. Really proud of our young lads and the management team, we dust down and move on to the next game now well done to all involved. 

As part of the Mousehole Devs setup can I just say that we have no issues at all, no rules were broken and any team is welcome to do anything they  see fit within the rules. We have played first team players when requested to by the 1st team but we’ve never asked for any as we are happy with our squad and the job the youngsters do. Thought our 18 year old CB dealt with Matt Wright superbly so that’s a massive possitive for him. As a team I thought we played by far the better football, we were blunt at the top end and we all know goals win games so fair play to Truro. We move on, pick the lads up and try to win our final 4 and see what happens. 👍

1 minute ago, Dave Deacon said:

On the basis that Matt Wright has only scored a couple times this season for the first time, it might well have been the first team manager's way of dropping him! :)

Maybe so 🤣

Fair play to both clubs developing local kids to play at the highest level possible👍

Past and current Truro reserves playing regularly in the western league with Falmouth and Mousehole letting a select few train with their 1st team, some even given the opportunity of experiencing the match day coach journey, being on the bench etc ..

One lad even has had a few minutes this season (impressive stuff ).

This is what development is all about well done to both clubs 👏👏

I would say the people that are upset that a first team player played for his own clubs reserves are the same people that cry their own first team players don’t do it for them! 

Never anything but negativity.

Instead let’s focus on two teams full of young lads developing and growing into the next generation of Cornish footballers well supported by the hierarchy at their respective clubs. 

It’s literally reserve teams being used for their intended purposes, keep senior first team players match fit and develop young talent for the future first team!

More importantly congratulations to Ollie Paterson for scoring a goal instead of a red card for once 👏🏽

15 minutes ago, Patters97 said:

I would say the people that are upset that a first team player played for his own clubs reserves are the same people that cry their own first team players don’t do it for them! 

Never anything but negativity.

Instead let’s focus on two teams full of young lads developing and growing into the next generation of Cornish footballers well supported by the hierarchy at their respective clubs. 

It’s literally reserve teams being used for their intended purposes, keep senior first team players match fit and develop young talent for the future first team!

More importantly congratulations to Ollie Paterson for scoring a goal instead of a red card for once 👏🏽

👏👏 well said 

More to developing youngsters than matching tracksuits and flash social media graphics .

You can’t underestimate the educational value of sitting on a bench watching older players drafted in from the 1st team 👍 Best way to learn in my opinion ..

2 hours ago, Off White Tiger said:

I wasn’t aware of that, I guess it’s an unusual combination of roles. Does that help explain the resistance of other clubs when Truro Reserves applied to join the St Piran’s league?

I think you’ll find the resistance was primarily based on the history of Truro yo-yoing their reserves in and out of the SWPL and previous organisations and off the administrators and other clubs. But that’s history but you can thank the FA for their incompetence and subsequent overpowering authority for their admission.

23 minutes ago, baldy said:

I think you’ll find the resistance was primarily based on the history of Truro yo-yoing their reserves in and out of the SWPL and previous organisations and off the administrators and other clubs. But that’s history but you can thank the FA for their incompetence and subsequent overpowering authority for their admission.

Top of St Pirans… imagine the effect it would’ve had on the development of these young players if you’d stuck them in Trelawny 3/4.

I think common sense prevailed, not any form of overpowering authority. Let’s be sensible

That young centre half that marked Wrighty will probably learn more from this game than possibly the rest of the season!! Great for his development, not to mention his confidence, glad he played well. Might not seem fair in a top of the table clash but that’s what a reserve team is for, it’s the players club to be fair, not another one! Sure both teams can take the positives out of this one and not the negatives 👍👏🏼

1 hour ago, Patters97 said:

Top of St Pirans… imagine the effect it would’ve had on the development of these young players if you’d stuck them in Trelawny 3/4.

I think common sense prevailed, not any form of overpowering authority. Let’s be sensible

Being sensible, that standard of player wouldn’t have played in Trelawny 3 or 4 would they?

But, I suspect that’s where a fair amount of the resistance came from, established St Piran’s and SWPL clubs that felt they stood to lose out on attracting or retaining the county’s best young players. 

30 minutes ago, CRD said:

Being sensible, that standard of player wouldn’t have played in Trelawny 3 or 4 would they?

But, I suspect that’s where a fair amount of the resistance came from, established St Piran’s and SWPL clubs that felt they stood to lose out on attracting or retaining the county’s best young players. 

That group of players would’ve played for Truro Res and U18 regardless of league I can assure you that. 

The loyalty of them stems all the way back from U8s with some additions through friendship groups. There’s a lot more loyalty to coaches and clubs in young players than senior players. 

The select few that chose to play for a club that wasn’t Truro came down to the fact their journey with that age group at Truro started with someone that managed in SWPL. And after they left, one of them went back to Truro and the others considered it as well.

This Truro Reserves has been 10-15 years in the making, it’s not happened overnight, even if the whole journey may not have been as a Truro youth team.

So yes, common sense prevailed. They will be a top 6 team in SWPL next season. 

I think the resistance against Truro Res was from the very same people who are traditionally happy to stay in the same league year after year regardless of where they finish, turning their nose up at a club with ambition to progress cornish football and young players. The same people currently turning their nose up at Massey and Helston’s progressions across the different levels and Bude and their ambitious push this year in SWPL.

Just my thoughts. SWPL also didn’t lose out on these players, Fabby was always happy to let them step up and help out clubs if they wanted to, he helped me a number of times, they just didn’t want to. Because of loyalty 

45 minutes ago, Patters97 said:

That group of players would’ve played for Truro Res and U18 regardless of league I can assure you that. 

The loyalty of them stems all the way back from U8s with some additions through friendship groups. There’s a lot more loyalty to coaches and clubs in young players than senior players. 

The select few that chose to play for a club that wasn’t Truro came down to the fact their journey with that age group at Truro started with someone that managed in SWPL. And after they left, one of them went back to Truro and the others considered it as well.

This Truro Reserves has been 10-15 years in the making, it’s not happened overnight, even if the whole journey may not have been as a Truro youth team.

So yes, common sense prevailed. They will be a top 6 team in SWPL next season. 

I think the resistance against Truro Res was from the very same people who are traditionally happy to stay in the same league year after year regardless of where they finish, turning their nose up at a club with ambition to progress cornish football and young players. The same people currently turning their nose up at Massey and Helston’s progressions across the different levels and Bude and their ambitious push this year in SWPL.

Just my thoughts. SWPL also didn’t lose out on these players, Fabby was always happy to let them step up and help out clubs if they wanted to, he helped me a number of times, they just didn’t want to. Because of loyalty 

U8s where? Perranwell/Helston or at the CoE? Cos if it’s the CoE you’re referring to then that’s a potentially a whole different conversation regarding ethics…

Some of the U18s that were originally Perranwell in the DJM that went on to become Truro U18, were playing SWPL the season prior to Truro Reserves being formed. Interesting that you are so convinced that they would have been willing to drop down so many divisions, to play in a Truro team. Especially when some of that original team have subsequently left to play at a higher standard, after 1 season in the st Piran’s league.

I like John and wish him and Truro Reserves well if they are promoted to the SWPL, as whatever the age of their squad, if they’re successful they will have deserved it.  But let’s not go rewriting history mate.

1 minute ago, CRD said:

U8s where? Perranwell/Helston or at the CoE? Cos if it’s the CoE you’re referring to then that’s a potentially a whole different conversation regarding ethics…

Some of the U18s that were originally Perranwell in the DJM that went on to become Truro U18, were playing SWPL the season prior to Truro Reserves being formed. Interesting that you are so convinced that they would have been willing to drop down so many divisions, to play in a Truro team. Especially when some of that original team have subsequently left to play at a higher standard, after 1 season in the st Piran’s league.

I like John and wish him and Truro Reserves well if they are promoted to the SWPL, as whatever the age of their squad, if they’re successful they will have deserved it.  But let’s not go rewriting history mate.

And prior to Perranwell they were originally Truro. As I said in my prior message, the journey wasn’t always with Truro, it was simply 10-15 years in the making.

Nothing to do with CoE, that’s another big claim that has no substance.

Paul Rowe manages Wadebridge and holds the role of head of recruiting for Plymouth Argyle… people are allowed more than 1 role in football. 

Knowing the players on a personal level, having coached a large number of them along that journey, yes they would’ve dropped the leagues. I don’t need to rewrite anything. Only a small number have gone to another club, the others are at uni and play when home

No interest in getting in to an aimless theoretical argument with you Adam.

Great that you’re super enthusiastic regarding TCFC, which is understandable as your brother seems to be flourishing there 👍🏻

However, I suspect both John and Truro City would have had serious reservations about the merits of taking that group of players in to the bottom trelawny league. 

Dave

Never an argument and certainly nothing personal against you! Just dispelling the hypotheticals everyone seems to dream up! 

a forum full of people being negative and talking about things they know very little about. If you ever see any of the rare comments I make on the forum, i simply defend any club with ambition and doing things the right way. 

I agree, it’s great to see my brother flourishing at the club he started with at U8s! 😉