Cornwall Football Forum

Southern League Premier Division South 2022/23

Composition released for the Southern League Premier Division South 2022/23.

Premier Division South

Beaconsfield Town
BRACKNELL TOWN
Chesham United
Dorchester Town
Gosport Borough
HANWELL TOWN
Harrow Borough
Hartley Wintney
Hayes & Yeading United
Hendon
Metropolitan Police
North Leigh
Plymouth Parkway
Poole Town
Salisbury
Swindon Supermarine
Tiverton Town
Truro City
Walton Casuals
Weston-super-Mare
Winchester City
Yate Town

CAPITAL letters are clubs switched from the Isthmian League.

The travelling for Plymouth Parkway goes up another notch with seven trips to the Greater London area next season which, when combined with Truro City matches, gives me potentially fourteen matches that are a bus/tube/train ride away.

34 minutes ago, Way Of The Park said:

The travelling for Plymouth Parkway goes up another notch with seven trips to the Greater London area next season which, when combined with Truro City matches, gives me potentially fourteen matches that are a bus/tube/train ride away.

That’s good for yourself. Must admit I’ve enjoyed London clubs coming to Taunton, with the occasional away trip in the other direction, as well as Dulwich and Hampton in the FA Trophy last season at Parkway.

Not everybody’s preference and it all comes about because, once you start counting out clubs from Cornwall upwards, you’re still short of the required number when you reach the M5.

Six short next season - I’m guessing your seventh trip is on the Metropolitan to Chesham? It’s a harsh divide for those within the M25 which is only going to be ended by a pretty freakish combination of promotions and relegations that produces more step 3 clubs between Cornwall and the M25. 

There’s a little map thanks again to Non League Matters as to how London splits. Southern to the west; Isthmian to the east:

7WPY9b1AMkJxPvKeBhDOVtWOhivBEmjCrknz5sWNVfnN6exfazmylL_9qLdE6vcprvptVlb47xl97Li5sdr7ibgMZN_7zbiwqLtc9nuImQ8Uz3xUCZfnhVsBZl2-UR_TrTeXQJRyezrjEpIvDw

27 minutes ago, Easterfield said:

That’s good for yourself. Must admit I’ve enjoyed London clubs coming to Taunton, with the occasional away trip in the other direction, as well as Dulwich and Hampton in the FA Trophy last season at Parkway.

Not everybody’s preference and it all comes about because, once you start counting out clubs from Cornwall upwards, you’re still short of the required number when you reach the M5.

Six short next season - I’m guessing your seventh trip is on the Metropolitan to Chesham? It’s a harsh divide for those within the M25 which is only going to be ended by a pretty freakish combination of promotions and relegations that produces more step 3 clubs between Cornwall and the M25. 

There’s a little map thanks again to Non League Matters as to how London splits. Southern to the west; Isthmian to the east:

7WPY9b1AMkJxPvKeBhDOVtWOhivBEmjCrknz5sWNVfnN6exfazmylL_9qLdE6vcprvptVlb47xl97Li5sdr7ibgMZN_7zbiwqLtc9nuImQ8Uz3xUCZfnhVsBZl2-UR_TrTeXQJRyezrjEpIvDw

Yes, a nice jaunt out to suburban Hertfordshire on the Metropolitan Line.

Hanwell Town appear to be losers here. Based at Greenford in NW London (and on the Central Line) they've been switched from the Isthmian Premier (which is very much East London, Essex, Home Counties and South Coast dominated) to the Southern South Prem, which involves journeys down to the South West. 

Remember last season the likes of Dulwich, Chesham, Harrow, Hayes, Met Police and Walton not enjoying their trips to Bolitho from the London area for matches against Parkway and Truro.

21 minutes ago, Way Of The Park said:

Hanwell Town appear to be losers here. Based at Greenford in NW London (and on the Central Line) they've been switched from the Isthmian Premier (which is very much East London, Essex, Home Counties and South Coast dominated) to the Southern South Prem, which involves journeys down to the South West. 

Some years back I saw Taunton Town play at Hanwell at step 4 and, when I checked Richard Rundle's site, I noticed it was the only year Hanwell had been in such a league that stretched so far south and west (even though the focus was far more to the east than now).

It didn't end well for Hanwell. They finished 21st of 22:   https://fchd.info/lghist/south2007.htm Nor have they done too well when pushed northwards. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I see Walton Casuals have folded (or as their Chairman has expressed it, executed “a managed closure”) in the last 24 hours creating a vacancy in the Southern League Premier South.

For those interested there’s a lot of speculation on Non League Matters about how this Step 3 vacancy will be filled and how it will knock on through the pyramid, but the only point of agreement seems to be that the FA will definitely fill it rather than leave the SLPS one team short so stand by for further round of promotions / relegations / reprieves.

[Edit - looks like Cinderford Town have been reprieved and will now be back in the SL D1 South, and Worcester Raiders have been promoted from Hellenic Div 1 to take their place in Hellenic Premier.] 

15 minutes ago, GaryHocking said:

I see Walton Casuals have folded (or as their Chairman has expressed it, executed “a managed closure”) in the last 24 hours creating a vacancy in the Southern League Premier South.

For those interested there’s a lot of speculation on Non League Matters about how this Step 3 vacancy will be filled and how it will knock on through the pyramid, but the only point of agreement seems to be that the FA will definitely fill it rather than leave the SLPS one team short so stand by for further round of promotions / relegations / reprieves.

[Edit - looks like Cinderford Town have been reprieved and will now be back in the SL D1 South, and Worcester Raiders have been promoted from Hellenic Div 1 to take their place in Hellenic Premier.] 

Shame. Walton Casuals was a new stadium (Watford reserves and women's sides used it) in a nice part of suburban London. Gather though that it was a completely council owned facility, the club had no income from the gate or clubhouse. Obviously unsustainable with no external backing (which they had spent the last few months appealing for).

1 hour ago, Way Of The Park said:

Shame. Walton Casuals was a new stadium (Watford reserves and women's sides used it) in a nice part of suburban London. Gather though that it was a completely council owned facility, the club had no income from the gate or clubhouse. Obviously unsustainable with no external backing (which they had spent the last few months appealing for).

Completing the picture, it’s Merthyr Town that have been granted Walton’s SLPS slot.

Saw Taunton at Walton Casuals three or four years ago. The main structure was back-to-back with athletics (a replacement track for the one lost at Stompond Lane). Bar and refreshment area was light and spacious but obviously run by the council. No perimeter advertising from memory with temporary Walton Casuals signage that would then be replaced with similar for the next Walton & Hersham game.     

A great facility in many respects - even if not particularly atmospheric - but it did reduce both clubs to "turn up and play on a hired pitch" outfits.  

17 hours ago, Way Of The Park said:

Watford reserves playing at Walton ?  Not a chance. Are you thinking of Kings Langley ?

On 10/06/2022 at 17:44, GaryHocking said:

Completing the picture, it’s Merthyr Town that have been granted Walton’s SLPS slot.

Hard to keep tabs. So that's a trip to.South Wales, rather than Surrey, for Plymouth Parkway, Tiverton Town and Truro City..

And a trip to the Forest of Dean, but not South Wales, for Bideford, Exmouth Town, Tavistock and Willand Rovers.

For Cinderford Town that's a reprieve after being hammered by Skelmersdsle in the play-off that led to their original relegation. For fan-owned Merthyr Town that's a welcome break after Covid regulations in Wales had interrupted their participation in English football.

Nationally, as the leagues settle, we may never see quite as much idle speculation - often months in advance - about which clubs will be playing in which league the following season. But there will still be plenty.

Clubs will continue to withdraw, or somehow be found wanting, during the month between constitutions being announced in May and AGMs in June. If, say, twenty or so clubs are switched around that's sounds chaotic but less so when you remember there are nearly a thousand clubs are in rhe system.

Before AGMs rulings will appear complex and not always easy to follow; all taken on the basis of national considerations (eg University of East Anglia resigning meaning St Dennis are reprieved). After AGMs - this time of year - decisions will probably be more localised and easier to fathom.

Two things we've learned: (1) it's an inter-locking system across the country (2) points-per-game (PPG) matters if you're involved in promotion or relegation. Finishing 2nd, 3rd or 18th is still finishing 2nd, 3rd or 18th but it helps to get the points on the board should your record be compared to a club in Northumbetland or Norfolk.

Next season I'd imagine that much of the speculation amongst the countrywide online 'Pyramidista' community (who've been squabling recently) will, as here, revolve around the new unified SW league and its proposed five divisions. It's not definite for 2023/24 - but that's the target - so expect projections immediately the rules are announced. But it's never done and dusted until the final ball has been kicked. Or for about six weeks afterwards.

35 minutes ago, Easterfield said:

Two things we've learned: (1) it's an inter-locking system across the country (2) points-per-game (PPG) matters if you're involved in promotion or relegation. Finishing 2nd, 3rd or 18th is still finishing 2nd, 3rd or 18th but it helps to get the points on the board should your record be compared to a club in Northumbetland or Norfolk.

Should we be inserting a new column into our standard league table make-up? The PPG!

4 minutes ago, Dave Deacon said:

Should we be inserting a new column into our standard league table make-up? The PPG!

Provided there's a footnote making comparisons, at step 5 and 6, with fifteen or sixteen other leagues!

Don't worry. Somebody, somewhere does just that but it'll be as a "hobby" rather than anything official.

On 12/06/2022 at 16:40, Dave Deacon said:

God no! There appears to be a new breed of non league types who seem to get more enjoyment out of compiling spreadsheets showing future league compositions than actually watching the football. Similar to those who also get more excited about transfer windows than the matches.

Dan Hayfield has joined Bath City form Tiverton Town; looked a good player when I saw him last season.

Jamie Richards and Niall Thompson, familiar names from Truro City, sign for Tiverton.

Garry Warren (ex Inverness, Yeovil, Exeter, Torquay, etc) quite possibly becomes the first player to move between Tiverton and Inverness Clachnacuddin. 

10 minutes ago, Easterfield said:

Dan Hayfield has joined Bath City form Tiverton Town; looked a good player when I saw him last season.

Jamie Richards and Niall Thompson, familiar names from Truro City, sign for Tiverton.

Garry Warren (ex Inverness, Yeovil, Exeter, Torquay, etc) quite possibly becomes the first player to move between Tiverton and Inverness Clachnacuddin. 

That’s easy for you to say😎

20 minutes ago, Easterfield said:

Tiverton also bringing in Dylan Jones from Merthyr, Frome duo of Kane Simpson and Joe O'Laughlin alongside Tom Purrington from Dorchester.  Looks to me like they'll be stronger than last season (where they flirted with the lower reaches of the table before a decent late season run put them in mid table).

1 minute ago, Way Of The Park said:

Tiverton also bringing in Dylan Jones from Merthyr, Frome duo of Kane Simpson and Joe O'Laughlin alongside Tom Purrington from Dorchester.  Looks to me like they'll be stronger than last season (where they flirted with the lower reaches of the table before a decent late season run put them in mid table).

Pretty certain Purrington is from Exeter so that makes a lot of sense. Tiverton looked poor when I saw them before Christmas but they put up a decent show against Taunton at Easter. Yes, these signings look all together more reassuring than the direction they appeared to be heading. 

Solid signings up the road at Taunton so far but maybe more of a kind for doing well in the league they've just left as opposed to the one they've joined? Bulk of last season's squad staying but not two key strikers. Signs point to Bristol/South Wales recruitment. 

5 hours ago, Easterfield said:

Dear old Clachy, the one and only Scottish non league ground I have visited, making just 3 grounds in total up there.

3 hours ago, RAPPO said:

What were your other 2 Baldy? I’ve only got 4 pro grounds to visit for a full house! 

Dundee United and ICT. Have been to Scotland only twice.

JOKE. Whilst at ICT, I met the most unpopular supporter in the country. He stands behind the goal and chants “ Give us an I, ……”

2 hours ago, baldy said:

Dundee United and ICT. Have been to Scotland only twice.

JOKE. Whilst at ICT, I met the most unpopular supporter in the country. He stands behind the goal and chants “ Give us an I, ……”

I’ve met that bloke too. He’s German, only recently moved to Inverness. Apparently he’s a Borussia Mönchengladbach supporter. (I’ll get my coat.) 

• 3 weeks later...
On 22/06/2022 at 16:18, GaryHocking said:

I’ve met that bloke too. He’s German, only recently moved to Inverness. Apparently he’s a Borussia Mönchengladbach supporter. (I’ll get my coat.) 

My wife asked me if I was having an affair with a woman from Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwyllllantysiliogogogoch. I said: “How can you say such a thing?”