Cornwall Football Forum

RESULTS- Saturday 22 January 2022

WESTERN LEAGUE

PREMIER DIVISION

Ashton & Backwell United    1-0     Mousehole (att 85)

Bridport                    0-6        Shepton Mallet (att 101)

Buckland Athletic     2-4       Clevedon Town (att 148)

Cadbury Heath       1-0   Saltash United (att 58)

Exmouth Town       2-1      Keynsham Town (att 256)

Helston Athletic    0-1       Bridgwater United (att 170)

Millbrook               0-0              Bitton

Street             1-3        Ilfracombe Town   (att 110)

Wellington            2-2              Tavistock   (att 101)

14 minutes ago, sportsman10 said:

Helston on a very bad run at the minute too many big players have gone the ones brought in not really up to it. Have to be careful else bowker will be next to go. 

Don’t play with any real plan and with only one up top , decent sides will defend Bowker with ease. Referee must have been on a bonus scheme but we’re not allowed to comment on the men in black now are we. Overall a pretty poor standard but Helston didn’t really deserve much from the game. 

11 minutes ago, le boss said:

Don’t play with any real plan and with only one up top , decent sides will defend Bowker with ease. Referee must have been on a bonus scheme but we’re not allowed to comment on the men in black now are we. Overall a pretty poor standard but Helston didn’t really deserve much from the game. 

The goals have dried up that must be a worry , the have bowker and veil but both want to do the same and as you say once you nullified bowker there not much else. . Tucker the biggest miss they haven’t replaced him at all and I’m not sure the Orlando signing worked at all  . Just seems he was signed to annoy Dane at Saltash  

40 minutes ago, sportsman10 said:

The goals have dried up that must be a worry , the have bowker and veil but both want to do the same and as you say once you nullified bowker there not much else. . Tucker the biggest miss they haven’t replaced him at all and I’m not sure the Orlando signing worked at all  . Just seems he was signed to annoy Dane at Saltash  

Have no idea about Orlando. Lots of energy without much direction. Ended up with 2 defenders playing in midfield and not much creativity. 

3 minutes ago, le boss said:

Have no idea about Orlando. Lots of energy without much direction. Ended up with 2 defenders playing in midfield and not much creativity. 

Watched the Orlando lad last week against Saltash, expecting big things with all the fuss around the signing. He walked around the perimeter of the pitch twice whilst on the subs bench, when he came on fell over a couple of times and that was pretty much it 🤷‍♂️

1 hour ago, le boss said:

Bowker is overrated imo, he’s just a big target man which suits Helston’s “lump it” style, he’s obviously made to look better when he has better players around him. Helston are delusional if they think are looking at progressing out of this division.

I don’t think that’s fair. Bowker a better player then that but he needs better players around him and service.
I think the main issue is Steve Massey signing the wrong players at wrong time. 
you look at tavi they lost Matt Andrew’s and went and signed jake miller to slot straight in. Helston have lost billy tucker , Matt buckhan etc and have just splashed cash on bunch of names  so  signed . Steve Colwell  who legs are gone getting on now  and had dropped down to play for Bodmin.  Orlando who seems to have been signed just  to get at saltAsh and Dane.  and Bentley who again was playing for Bodmin and struggling . There no structure and danger is they turn into a Bodmin a club just signing endless players 
the manager will be unchallenged tho as he holds all the cash  

tough times ahead 

7 minutes ago, sportsman10 said:

I don’t think that’s fair. Bowker a better player then that but he needs better players around him and service.
I think the main issue is Steve Massey signing the wrong players at wrong time. 
you look at tavi they lost Matt Andrew’s and went and signed jake miller to slot straight in. Helston have lost billy tucker , Matt buckhan etc and have just splashed cash on bunch of names  so  signed . Steve Colwell  who legs are gone getting on now  and had dropped down to play for Bodmin.  Orlando who seems to have been signed just  to get at saltAsh and Dane.  and Bentley who again was playing for Bodmin and struggling . There no structure and danger is they turn into a Bodmin a club just signing endless players 
the manager will be unchallenged tho as he holds all the cash  

tough times ahead 

What has happened to Massey’s 20/20 vision at helston bringing through youth and sustainability at helston 

30 minutes ago, quiksilver said:

What has happened to Massey’s 20/20 vision at helston bringing through youth and sustainability at helston 

In defence of Helston, they have a very strong youth set-up that I am sure is the envy of most clubs in Cornwall so the vision is still alive. However, it is a big step from youth football to the Western League.

You can't fault Steve Massey's passion and commitment. He is a real football man and travels the South West watching men's, youth and women's football at all levels. Even coming from a Falmouth fan he deserves some respect as he lives for the game and always seems to be polite and respectful to everyone he meets.

All that being said, he seems to need a strong and knowledgeable assistant to work with him tactically. You also wonder with these teams which are created rather than developed, that it doesn't take much adversity for them to walk away, or suffer a reduction in their intensity during a game. I don't suppose Steve has any other choice but to keep signing players if the ones he has available don't have quite high enough quality.

1 hour ago, THEMAGPIE said:

Bowker is overrated imo, he’s just a big target man which suits Helston’s “lump it” style, he’s obviously made to look better when he has better players around him. Helston are delusional if they think are looking at progressing out of this division.

Certainly didn’t play lump it football today. If anything, it was Bridgewater who lumped it. Trouble with one up top, you have to be very precise getting the ball to him before he’s crowded out. 

There is so much animosity thrown towards Steve every single week on this forum. I challenge you to name me one manager that does what he does? Turns up to youth games, womens games, he even watches games that his players play in when playing for other teams! Name me one manager that has that sort of commitment. He's marmite, I get that but he doesn't deserve the drubbing he gets on here on a daily/weekly basis. A football man through and through and despite the recent results, Helston would be half the club they are now without him. I'd love to see him put his chequebook away and go and manage a Trelawny 2/3 side. Actually coach players and bring them on and climb the league's. That's where management comes into its own. It's not about getting the best team on paper. It's about gelling them, team cohesion, workrate... It's a shame Helston don't have a junior team because having someone like Steve involved would definitely inspire them

55 minutes ago, BrummyBarry said:

There is so much animosity thrown towards Steve every single week on this forum. I challenge you to name me one manager that does what he does? Turns up to youth games, womens games, he even watches games that his players plan on when playing for other teams! Name me one manager that has that sort of commitment. He's marmite. I get that but he doesn't deserve the dribbling he gets on here on a daily/weekly basis. A football man through and through and despite the recent results, Helston would be half the club they are without him. I'd love to see him put his chequebook away and go and manager a Trelawny 2/3 side. Actually coach players and bring them on and climb the league's. That's where management comes into its own. It's not about getting the best team on paper. It's about gelling them, team cohesion, workrate... It's a shame Helston don't have a junior team because having someone like Steve involved would definitely inspire them

No one’s questioning is his commitment I’m sure he watches 100 of games a week up and down the county . But that’s not going to make you a great manager. Sometimes they need great coaches beside them.
He got the money to offer to any player. But I don’t see too many he managed and brought through the ranks and put into the first team.

my question is who challenges  him ? As he has the money and player contact  he pretty much un sackable 

5 minutes ago, sportsman10 said:

No one’s questioning is his commitment I’m sure he watches 100 of games a week up and down the county . But that’s not going to make you a great manager. Sometimes they need great coaches beside them.
He got the money to offer to any player. But I don’t see too many he managed and brought through the ranks and put into the first team.

my question is who challenges  him ? As he has the money and player contact  he pretty much un sackable 

I agree with you it's just frustrating seeing so many people dig at him all the time. I don't know him personally but what I know of him I have got from the forum, twitter and word of mouth. I don't a great deal of the ins and outs of running a club at that level but I suppose that if you do have the ability to bring money to the club, you're pretty much unsackable. Especially if you are th reason that your team is successful semi successful. Imagine Helston sacking him. They drop quicker than a lead balloon. They just wouldn't do it unless they had another like for like replacement. I think it's about time that Cornwall had a team to rival Truro City so I'm all for the teams that are trying to progress 

• Dave Deacon changed the title to RESULTS- Saturday 22 January 2022
25 minutes ago, John Mead said:

There is no Senior or Junior classification of Leagues in Cornwall - or any other County. Leagues below the NLS are all classed as "Recreational"

Thank you John. Someone once said to me that it was a senior league which is why they played in the senior cup. I know thats changed now. 

9 hours ago, BrummyBarry said:

Junior team. Helston don't have a team in the junior leagues. Read the post

No one is criticising Steve personally just passing an educated observation/opinion. Having taken a team through the junior leagues at Helston with a modicum of success I think I can do that. 

Having played for Steve many years ago he’s a top bloke his love for local football of all ages is second to none. His problem is the level of younger players and commitment from them coming through isn’t the same as 15-20 years ago now. Means players he needs he has to go further afield for. He’s always be a great man manager. He’s experienced enough to get out of this sticky patch. They will pick up result again in the next couple games. Good luck to them. 

22 hours ago, Informed said:

Steve Massey is a manager and not a coach! 

There is a difference between the two. Not much comes from him tactically, passion and love for the game can't be questioned. 

Have said it before, but looking back at Steve Massey's managerial CV with Truro, Falmouth, Buckland and now Helston (haven't included Bovey Tracey as he left due to personal reasons) it isn't exactly laden down with trophies. Can only think of the South Western League title in 1992/93, but I may be wrong. It certainly doesn't compare to the likes of Trevor Mewton and Darren Gilbert.

He is very good at getting a club moving with his ability to talk, passion, drive, love for the game and, yes, financial backing, but he seems to lack that bit extra when it comes to winning things. Don't think it was a coincidence that Helston struggled in the curtailed 2020/21 season when Leigh Robinson wasn't at his side. Personally, I have always thought of him as more of director of football/chairman type than a coach.

52 minutes ago, Way Of The Park said:

Have said it before, but looking back at Steve Massey's managerial CV with Truro, Falmouth, Buckland and now Helston (haven't included Bovey Tracey as he left due to personal reasons) it isn't exactly laden down with trophies. Can only think of the South Western League title in 1992/93, but I may be wrong. It certainly doesn't compare to the likes of Trevor Mewton and Darren Gilbert.

He is very good at getting a club moving with his ability to talk, passion, drive, love for the game and, yes, financial backing, but he seems to lack that bit extra when it comes to winning things. Don't think it was a coincidence that Helston struggled in the curtailed 2020/21 season when Leigh Robinson wasn't at his side. Personally, I have always thought of him as more of director of football/chairman type than a coach.

Think Trevor Mewton did pretty much the same thing. Dragged all the best players from the county and when he moved clubs, the players followed. Don’t think his players had a love for Blakey, Falmouth or Porthleven. 

5 minutes ago, le boss said:

Think Trevor Mewton did pretty much the same thing. Dragged all the best players from the county and when he moved clubs, the players followed. Don’t think his players had a love for Blakey, Falmouth or Porthleven. 

Yes, know how it works. It is pretty naive to think that the group of players used by Trevor Mewton spent hours driving down from Plymouth and various points in Cornwall because they loved St Blazey, Falmouth or Porthleven but my point is that Mewton had a glittering resume in terms of trophies, cups and runs in the FA Cup and Vase. Steve Massey has had a similar recruiting policy over the years, but it hasn't been backed up with anything like this.

2 minutes ago, Way Of The Park said:

Yes, know how it works. It is pretty naive to think that the group of players used by Trevor Mewton spent hours driving down from Plymouth and various points in Cornwall because they loved St Blazey, Falmouth or Porthleven but my point is that Mewton had a glittering resume in terms of trophies, cups and runs in the FA Cup and Vase. Steve Massey has had a similar recruiting policy over the years, but it hasn't been backed up with anything like this.

Apart from the Vase which every club needs a bit of luck to make the latter stages, I think the teams Trevor managed were always the big fish in the little pond but the restructuring has put paid to it to an extent. 

22 minutes ago, le boss said:

Apart from the Vase which every club needs a bit of luck to make the latter stages, I think the teams Trevor managed were always the big fish in the little pond but the restructuring has put paid to it to an extent. 

All subjective and open to opinion I guess, but I would say that the trophies won at Falmouth and Blazey were in a more competitive era. The one thing that does count against Mewton's trophy heavy era at Blazey was that they never took promotion into the Western League, that will also be forever held against Darren Gilbert at Bodmin. Something that Steve Massey does have over these two managers is that he has tested himself at Western and Southern League level

I fully agree the blazey team of old was in a much more competitive league but like you said they were always winning . But your point on Massey is correct I mean he has a squad of players on very big money but it’s not the correct players and no thought on a system or structure. It’s just get a supposed name that’s available no matter what position there doesn’t seem to be same winning machine . In fact if you put that helston team against Falmouth or liskeard 10 games in a row. I’d have helston probably wining only  2 or 3 at best. 

1 hour ago, sportsman10 said:

I fully agree the blazey team of old was in a much more competitive league but like you said they were always winning . But your point on Massey is correct I mean he has a squad of players on very big money but it’s not the correct players and no thought on a system or structure. It’s just get a supposed name that’s available no matter what position there doesn’t seem to be same winning machine . In fact if you put that helston team against Falmouth or liskeard 10 games in a row. I’d have helston probably wining only  2 or 3 at best. 

Have heard Massey say before that "if a quality player is available, then you go and get them and work out afterwards how you fit them in." Guess that explains the Orlando Anker signing, a talented player at Newquay who doesn't seem to fit in at Helston.

St Blazey had some team though. You don't go 78 games or what ever it was unbeaten if your not. That was a record only beaten by 1 game by Wimbledon coming back up through the leagues. 

It was probably always thought about taking promotion. But when you had the best players who didn't want to play any higher due to work commitments etc, then do you take promotion to a league with no local rivals, tiny crowds when St Blazey were getting great crowds every week and loose most of your team and start from scratch? The Western league crowds now are rubbish. Take away the Cornish and Devon clubs and the average crowd would be about 60 maybe. 

The league is better now its filled with Cornish and Devon sides. And hopefully will improve even more so in years to come. If the few Bristol sides disappear though, it'll end up being the SWP league prem as it was a few seasons ago. Progress, probably not. Unless you go up again to something unknown. 

On 22/01/2022 at 20:33, The Town Man said:

In defence of Helston, they have a very strong youth set-up that I am sure is the envy of most clubs in Cornwall so the vision is still alive. However, it is a big step from youth football to the Western League.

You can't fault Steve Massey's passion and commitment. He is a real football man and travels the South West watching men's, youth and women's football at all levels. Even coming from a Falmouth fan he deserves some respect as he lives for the game and always seems to be polite and respectful to everyone he meets.

All that being said, he seems to need a strong and knowledgeable assistant to work with him tactically. You also wonder with these teams which are created rather than developed, that it doesn't take much adversity for them to walk away, or suffer a reduction in their intensity during a game. I don't suppose Steve has any other choice but to keep signing players if the ones he has available don't have quite high enough quality.

Helston seem to go through a lot of players. Be interested to know how many players have been used this season for the first team. 

Is the manager signing the right players ?

15 hours ago, Mark Jones said:

Helston seem to go through a lot of players. Be interested to know how many players have been used this season for the first team. 

Is the manager signing the right players ?

49 players registered, 31 players used. (from The FA Full Time site).

Falmouth Town, by way of comparison;

44 players registered, 26 used. So not that much difference.

5 hours ago, Way Of The Park said:

49 players registered, 31 players used. (from The FA Full Time site).

Falmouth Town, by way of comparison;

44 players registered, 26 used. So not that much difference.

an interesting comparison, would be nice to see how many games they are all used for/whether also signed on for reserve teams